PDA

View Full Version : Where's Traveller Jim?

sglad
August 3rd, 2018, 01:04
TJ hasn't posted in a while. Does anyone know where he is and how he's doing? He's a good sport (unlike the dimwit from Down Under) and I enjoy his posts and pics.

travelerjim
August 4th, 2018, 06:17
sglad...
Thank you for your asking and kind words.
I am currently in the USA for an extended visit. In the meantine if I see helpful information to share I will post it.
Take care ....
Tj

paborn
August 4th, 2018, 06:20
I thought of you when I saw the post about full American breakfasts. My first thought? Where is JIm?

Manforallseasons
August 4th, 2018, 07:12
He probably got very bored as so many have.

arsenal
August 4th, 2018, 07:36
I can't imagine anyone would get bored when they've got the Womble to chat to.

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 15:08
... if I see helpful information to share I will post it...

A complete absence of helpful information does not stop other members from posting (including me)

:drink:

frequent
August 4th, 2018, 15:12
A complete absence of helpful information does not stop other members from posting (including me)Quite. I was tinkering with a riff on "arhh, Jim lad" (Jim Hawkins, Treasure Island), but abandoned it

sglad
August 4th, 2018, 21:11
sglad...
Thank you for your asking and kind words.
I am currently in the USA for an extended visit. In the meantine if I see helpful information to share I will post it.
Take care ....
Tj

Glad to hear from you, TJ. Hope you're well and enjoying your visit home.

sglad
August 4th, 2018, 21:28
He probably got very bored as so many have.

Shhh, I think TJ went home to help Donald Trump with the mid term elections. :D

Smiles
August 7th, 2018, 14:38
Shhh, I think TJ went home to help Donald Trump with the mid term elections. :DMore likely: trying to figure out the 60 ways to kiss Trump's formidable ass/ego (interchangeable).

frequent
August 7th, 2018, 14:42
More likely: trying to figure out the 60 ways to kiss Trump's formidable ass/ego.I'm still slightly entertained by his last breathless thread, posting a rumour that then became discredited, and all from the Whiners' Paradise, Thaivisa

travelerjim
August 11th, 2018, 18:24
And once again...Dear Smiles
From a respected Thai Visa Advice forum on facebook...this was posted:

"An American friend in Chiang Mai less than a week ago went to Thai Immigration to get another Retirement Visa with all required documents he's used for years and was denied. The refusal was based on not having documents to support the Financial Verification Statement from the U.S. Consulate. He was told if his monthly income is from the government he needs to have Social Security monthly statements and support for any other sources.
Have others also experienced this recently?
If this is a new interpretation of the Financial Statement be forwarned before you submit it in Chiang Mai."

Tod Daniels ...the expat expert on Thai visa advice also posted in reply:

"The reports I read seemed to show that it is NOT being enforced 100% of the time and in fact is rather hit or miss on if they will ask for proof to back up the notarized income letter.
I would heed the advice I give to everyone using the notarized affidavit of income from abroad letter from their consulate to meet the financial requirements DON'T put anything down on the letter you can't back up with documentation."

I share this as some may be using Chiang Mai Immigration. Be prepared to support your income affidavit letter you got from the US Embassy.

Tj

paborn
August 11th, 2018, 20:36
Jim, I've, often, been accused of over planning and while I'll admit to a bit of that; I just think logistics and forward planning is crucial to a smooth, stress-free life. During my consulting years I secured a six-sigma black belt and, trust, me I looked at retirement in Thailand and decided against it.
Why? This sort of thing - in much of the world- is the reason I stayed at home. There is an old traveler axiom that the amount of bureaucratic paperwork and obscure regulations is in inverse proportion to the country's position in the developed world.
I cringed when I thought of having to, in my declining years, manage this tangled web of the developing world. It is a lot easier to visit, true I'd like to be there more often but I can navigate my world much better than there's. If, when buying a house I need to arrange a corporation to own it and issue share because as a non-Thai I can't own the sacred soil of the land I have chosen to live in tells me all I need to know about the security of my retirement.

scottish-guy
August 11th, 2018, 21:24
Just accept that as a foreigner you are, on the face of it, tolerated but you're basically unwelcome as a resident in Thailand.

It's a bit like England - except it no longer even pretends to tolerate foreigners, or indeed non-white Brits

arsenal
August 11th, 2018, 22:28
Or the whinging chippy Scots who blame England for all of their self inflicted woes.

francois
August 11th, 2018, 23:56
Why? This sort of thing - in much of the world- is the reason I stayed at home. There is an old traveler axiom that the amount of bureaucratic paperwork and obscure regulations is in inverse proportion to the country's position in the developed world.

paborn, I do believe you are overstating the complexities of retiring in Thailand. For me it has been EZ-PZ as it has been with so many others.

paborn
August 12th, 2018, 00:38
I might be. However, my concern was for my declining years. I'm old, but not yet in any mental decline - it happens - could I handle it in a language I haven't mastered, in a writing that confuses the helll out of me, etc. Could I do it now? why yes, of course - but when is that no longer viable. I hope I always remain as able as I am now, but who's to say? The first stage of decline is not recognizing it - denial. Oh well, I made my choice and I'm comfortable with it. I sincerely hope you continue to find it easy and smooth.

sglad
August 12th, 2018, 01:32
paborn, I do believe you are overstating the complexities of retiring in Thailand. For me it has been EZ-PZ as it has been with so many others.

In fact, it has been so easy for francois that they have created a new traveller axiom in his honour: as easy as meatloaf and Mont Clair.

paborn, I happen to agree with francois that you have perhaps overstated the complexities of living in Thailand. I say this with the caveat that I speak and read Thai fairly well and have a large network of Thai friends that I can depend on if I really needed to. That said, if your posts are any indication of your temperament and personality, I feel that you'd be able to navigate life in Thailand fairly easily. I also admire your sense of independence in wanting to do and understand things yourself unlike so many other farang who tend to delegate the management of their daily lives to Thais whom they often barely know and to their own detriment as a consequence. I learned a lot in my year in Thailand as I'm naturally curious and always want to know what's going on around me and manage things myself. My Thai friends and teachers were there for me as a last resort.

paborn
August 12th, 2018, 01:54
" things yourself unlike so many other farang who tend to delegate the management of their daily lives to Thais whom they often barely know and to their own detriment as a consequence"

This is exactly, what I wanted to avoid., it seldom ends well. I might have a tone deaf ear, but the tonality of Thai defeats me. If I know the word I can't pronouce it. Anyway, who knows? I might end up in Thailand , still only 68 - lots of time - one hopes........

frequent
August 12th, 2018, 05:36
Just accept that as a foreigner you are, on the face of it, tolerated but you're basically unwelcome as a resident in Thailand.And almost alone in the region, you will have to apply to have your "residence" renewed every year (Cambodia aside, but frankly who would want to live there) even if you're married to a Thai national

francois
August 12th, 2018, 09:46
Paborn, that is why there are visa agents to assist you. They can help to ease the burden of paperwork,etc, for a reasonable fee. Even take care of the 90 day reporting for free to their customers. Oh and 68 is not old, at least in my opinion.

frequent
August 12th, 2018, 10:00
Paborn, that is why there are visa agents to assist you. They can help to ease the burden of paperwork,etc, for a reasonable fee. Even take care of the 90 day reporting for free to their customers. Oh and 68 is not old, at least in my opinion.Surely paborn's point is that "the burden of paperwork" is an unnecessary one irrespective of who does it? One of my chums uses a company called Thailongstay which not only takes care of the paperwork but, for those who arrive and depart via Swampy, arranges fast track Immigration in and out of Thailand. But the fundamental point remains - why not the Malaysia model of ten-year visas? Even the latest ten-year visa for Thailand isn't a ten-year visa but two five-year visas back to back