PDA

View Full Version : Sex Trafficking

poshglasgow
August 2nd, 2018, 04:34
Currently viewing a Channel 5 programme in the UK on Uzbek control over sex trafficking in Bangkok and Pattaya. In Bangkok they concentrated on a hotel called 'Grace'.

frequent
August 2nd, 2018, 04:57
Currently viewing a Channel 5 programme in the UK on Uzbek control over sex trafficking in Bangkok and Pattaya. In Bangkok they concentrated on a hotel called 'Grace'.Is the one in Pattaya called 'Favour'?

Jellybean
August 2nd, 2018, 05:01
The documentary is called, 21st Century Sex Slaves.

It is available on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iNBKlBcXkY

gerefan2
August 2nd, 2018, 05:14
Looks quite old. Some scenes have a date of 2011.

frequent
August 2nd, 2018, 06:40
I wonder if the documentary about the Afghan chieftains who keep catamites is on Youtube - that was a piece of luvvie outrage a few years ago

frequent
August 2nd, 2018, 09:09
Ah yes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM-xe6wHjnw

frequent
August 2nd, 2018, 10:36
And here's news of what can be arranged through 7-11 - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351235

Old git
August 2nd, 2018, 16:34
Any documentary that comes with a salacious voice over, or is loaded with claims for which no good evidence is provided - is usually total crap..

bkkguy
August 2nd, 2018, 19:08
And here's news of what can be arranged through 7-11

I suppose it is a change for convenience store staff to be selling their best stock before rather than after the recommended sell by date

bkkguy

kittyboy
August 4th, 2018, 21:51
I wonder if the documentary about the Afghan chieftains who keep catamites is on Youtube - that was a piece of luvvie outrage a few years ago

I teach US military officer. Most of them have had tours in Afghanistan. I overheard them talking about the child sex culture in Afghanistan. These are tough guys who have seen combat. Some of them said one of the hardest things they experienced was seeing Afghanistan officials with very young boys 8-15 Years old as sex slaves. One related how they could hear the boys being raped at night by the Afghanistan officials stationed on the USA base. It eventually was publicized and Afghanistan officials raped the boys off base.
So maybe outrage is appropriate.

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 22:03
...maybe outrage is appropriate...

Or a large pinch of salt.

kittyboy
August 4th, 2018, 22:31
Or a large pinch of salt.

Possibly a pinch of salt. Possibly true. I tend towards it being true but I do not know.
The guys I teach are generally no bullshxt guys. They are combat veterans who generally do not engage in drama. They were discussing the issue amongst themselves and I overheard it and sat down and listened.

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 23:20
Well, Kittyboy, it must have been a large audience you were part of - given the same story has been all over the internet for at least 2 years.

I'm not accusing you of lying - it just seems to me that it's a well-known story that has been doing the rounds for a considerable time and may have grown arms and legs with the passage of time - a bit like Hitler having one ball - and the sort of thing that military types would bandy about to disparage their enemies or even their unwelcome allies!

kittyboy
August 4th, 2018, 23:28
Well, Kittyboy, it must have been a large audience you were part of - given the same story has been all over the internet for at least 2 years

No it was in a classroom. I teach graduate classes to USA army officers. As I said it was a private conversation between army officers. I overheard and sat down and listened.
I suspect the experiences they related to each other are true.
I suspect that child prostitution happens in Afghanistan . How prevalent it is? I have no idea.

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 23:40
I suspect it happens in every country in the world, don't you?

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 00:02
I suspect it happens in every country in the world, don't you?

I suspect it does exist in every country.
It sounds like child prostitution is more widespread and socially accepted in Afghanistan. I do not know. I have never been to Afghanistan. I suspect the UN or some other international organization tracks human trafficking. Which might give insights into the frequency of child prostitution in Afghanistan

sglad
August 5th, 2018, 00:03
The guys I teach are generally no bullshxt guys. They are combat veterans who generally do not engage in drama. They were discussing the issue amongst themselves and I overheard it and sat down and listened.

Oooh...and what did they say about the rape and abuse of prisoners in Abu Ghraib by American soldiers?

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 00:07
Oooh...and what did they say about the rape and abuse of prisoners in Au Ghraib by American soldiers?

They condemned it. They almost universally said it was wrong and moralky repugnant. I brought it up in class and we discussed it.
We discussed it in the context of the Stanford prison experiment.

sglad
August 5th, 2018, 00:16
They condemned it. They almost universally said it was wrong and moralky repugnant.

I hope they condemned this too:

https://genderandsecurity.org/sites/default/files/Weishut_-_Sexual_Torture_of_Palestinian_M_by_Israeli_Author ities.pdf

paborn
August 5th, 2018, 00:19
They condemned it. They almost universally said it was wrong and moralky repugnant. I brought it up in class and we discussed it.
We discussed it in the context of the Stanford prison experiment.

Really? Are people still discussing the Stanford experiment? It has been widely debunked for unscientific practices, secret instructions to some participants ( esp. the guards ) and when scientific method is deployed no researcher has been able to duplicate the results. So, to what end?

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 00:24
Good. I hope they condemned this too:

https://genderandsecurity.org/sites/default/files/Weishut_-_Sexual_Torture_of_Palestinian_M_by_Israeli_Author ities.pdf

I don't know if they would condemn the behavior as it has not come up in classroom discussion.
The officers I teach are professional soldiers with a strong sense of duty and honor. People might laugh at that (I was sceptical of them and their values before I started teaching them). I would guess they would condemn what you have posted.

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 00:28
Really? Are people still discussing the Stanford experiment? It has been widely debunked for unscientific practices, secret instructions to some participants ( esp. the guards ) and when scientific method is deployed no researcher has been able to duplicate the results. So, to what end?
You overstate your argument against the Stanford prison experiment.
I use it in class to discuss group identity and social identity theory. Social identity theory is one of the cornerstones of understanding human interactions.

sglad
August 5th, 2018, 00:39
The officers I teach are professional soldiers with a strong sense of duty and honor.

The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer’d it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest–
For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men.

Julius Caesar, Act 3, Scene 2 (as spoken by Mark Anthony)

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 00:43
...as were the men who killed Caesar.

But I like your reasonable and unemotional reply.

As I recall, Caesar was assassinated by senators (many were military veteran..as was common) who were trying to save the Roman republic from dictatorship. He was not assassinated by junior military officers.

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 00:54
The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer’d it.
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest–
For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men.

Julius Caesar, Act 3, Scene 2 (as spoken by Mark Anthony)

And you are quoting a fictionalized account of the assassination and the events leading up to it.
Maybe Cesar needed to be killed by honorable men who did an honorable thing.

sglad
August 5th, 2018, 00:54
As I recall, Caesar was assassinated by senators (many were military veteran..as was common) who were trying to save the Roman republic from dictatorship.

They must be thrilled to know that that line was still being sold to the hoi polloi 2,000 years later!

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 01:06
They must be thrilled to know that that line was still being sold 2,000 years later!

I am sure they would be. They lost the power struggle resulting from the assassination so they probably would be thrilled with the statement.

Sold or not. Rome did not end up with a series of philosopher kings ala Plato. Rome ended up with a dictatorship that lasted 450+ years. Maybe it was the better form of government for Rome.

sglad
August 5th, 2018, 01:23
I am sure they would be. They lost the power struggle resulting from the assassination so they probably would be thrilled with the statement.

Sold or not. Rome did not end up with a series of philosopher kings ala Plato. Rome ended up with a dictatorship that lasted 450+ years. Maybe it was the better form of government for Rome.

Just goes to show that the road to hell is paved with the good intentions of men of honour.

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 01:33
Just goes to show that the road to hell is paved with the good intentions of men of honour.

Ah.. no I guess it does not.

paborn
August 5th, 2018, 02:09
"You overstate your argument against the Stanford prison experiment.
I use it in class to discuss group identity and social identity theory. Social identity theory is one of the cornerstones of understanding human interactions."

Come now Kittyboy, it has been thoroughly debunked. However, your response as to the way you use it is spot on and I agree.

kittyboy
August 5th, 2018, 03:06
"You overstate your argument against the Stanford prison experiment.
I use it in class to discuss group identity and social identity theory. Social identity theory is one of the cornerstones of understanding human interactions."

Come now Kittyboy, it has been thoroughly debunked. However, your response as to the way you use it is spot on and I agree.

I use the Stanford prison experiment as a way of talking about group norms. Perceived roles. Role identity. Group behaviors. Etc. We discuss the coaching given the participants.as a way of understanding how people enact roles.

poshglasgow
August 5th, 2018, 03:18

The dancing boys of Afghanistan? I remember it well. Seems they were/are all at it.

scottish-guy
August 5th, 2018, 06:16
Pakistani bus drivers too, apparently.

The ones in Pakistan I mean

:D

frequent
August 5th, 2018, 06:23
Pakistani bus drivers too, apparently.By all accounts the ones in the UK are more interested in grooming young white girls