PDA

View Full Version : Helicobacter Pylori, might be worth knowing

Chuai-Duai
July 20th, 2018, 18:26
I spend the whole of June in Pattaya and was fine until two days before my departure. Then I developed severe stomach pains. On my return to the UK it got worse but tests for all the normal holiday tummy bugs were negative. Then a second doctor suggested testing for “Helicobacter Pylori”.

That was positive.

Helicobacter Pylori is a bacterial infection that causes inflammation of the stomach lining and stomach ulcers.

You can catch it from an infected person via saliva and other bodily fluids. However, the commonest way is via infected water or food.

Given the timing it’s almost certain I caught it in Thailand. I am careful what I eat or put in my mouth but one meal with a Thai friend does rather stand out and I suspect that.

I'm now on two antibiotics and another medicine to reduce stomach acid. I'm told I'll be fine in a week.

frequent
July 20th, 2018, 18:36
I’ve had it twice so you have my sympathy. Chicken is apparently a common carrier. After my second attack I was advised to have a colonoscopy because of the risk of damage to the gut

scottish-guy
July 20th, 2018, 19:38
Everybody in the UK will be eating The Donald's chlorinated chicken fairly soon, and since the chlorination inactivates helicobacter pylori it won't be a problem here at least.

But yes you certainly should beware of this organism but "being careful what you put in your mouth" is perhaps a step too far and could ruin your entire holiday!

gerefan2
July 21st, 2018, 01:19
i suspect that I have had it but I wlll never know. Just go to my favourite pharmacy and get the antibiotics and it's gone in a week or two... joking but standard procedure here!

scottish-guy
July 21st, 2018, 01:37
Antibiotics (and you need a combo of them) alone is not an appropriate treatment for this infection - you need a PPI drug in addition such as Omeprazole or Lanzoprazole

Chuai-Duai
July 21st, 2018, 02:02
Antibiotics (and you need a combo of them) alone is not an appropriate treatment for this infection - you need a PPI drug in addition such as Omeprazole or Lanzoprazole

Very true. I'm taking Omeprazole along with two antibiotics.

paborn
July 21st, 2018, 03:47
Everybody in the UK will be eating The Donald's chlorinated chicken fairly soon, and since the chlorination inactivates helicobacter pylori it won't be a problem here at least.

But yes you certainly should beware of this organism but "being careful what you put in your mouth" is perhaps a step too far and could ruin your entire holiday!

OK, this is funny. Especially the part about ruining my vacation by worrying about what I put in my mouth. But, what is Donald's chicken? I assume my human wreck of a president has done something else...........

gerefan2
July 21st, 2018, 10:43
But, what is Donald's chicken? ........

McDonalds? Another SGT gourmet recommendation?

lukylok
July 21st, 2018, 14:53
McDonalds? Another SGT gourmet recommendation?

In US the chicken are dipped in a bath of chlore, which doesn't improve their taste.
Hence, the reason why chicken are washed (!) before cooking and why the EU absolutely refuses importing them.

scottish-guy
July 21st, 2018, 18:03
Indeed, the belief (or scaremongering depending on how you look at it) is that in order to get a bespoke Trade Deal from The Donald, Brexit Britain will have to accept chlorinated chicken and other "Frankenstein foods" currently outlawed by stringent EU regulation, together with US private sector involvement within the National Health Service.

Nor getting into an argument about who's right and who's wrong, but that's what I meant by "Donald's chicken"

goji
July 22nd, 2018, 04:18
Everyone will not HAVE to eat chicken. I've not eaten the bloody stuff or any other meat for well over 30 years.

A more enlightened trade policy would be to allow complete free trade on agriculture with the US and every other nation with reasonable safety standards.
However, make it mandatory to label the country of origin of the product. Permit additional optional labeling such as "Made in the USA, no chlorine wash".
Also, make public health websites available. The page covering chlorinated chicken could contain an explanation written by a European organization and another explanation written by US experts, so the consumer can make his mind up.

Food labelling really needs fixing. When in Lidl recently, I saw rice labeled as product of the UK. Well, I've never seen any rice paddies here, so imagine that's packaged in the UK. I don't eat the packaging and this really is not playing the game.

poshglasgow
July 23rd, 2018, 23:26

Indeed SG. I often worry about what secrets are revealed to my dentist when he ventures inside my mouth for a look around. I am hoping that my meticulous oral hygiene gives little away!

I remember that first special moment when, like all young boys, my first pubic hair appeared - eh, at the end of a pair of tweezers, having been extricated from between my two upper front teeth by the oral hygienist!

Helicobacter Pylori? One of the main culprits, so I'm told, is Coq Au Vin. However, I'm unlikely to catch it, as sex in the back of a transit has never really appealed!!

poshglasgow
July 23rd, 2018, 23:35
Everyone will not HAVE to eat chicken. I've not eaten the bloody stuff or any other meat for well over 30 years.

A more enlightened trade policy would be to allow complete free trade on agriculture with the US and every other nation with reasonable safety standards.
However, make it mandatory to label the country of origin of the product. Permit additional optional labeling such as "Made in the USA, no chlorine wash".
Also, make public health websites available. The page covering chlorinated chicken could contain an explanation written by a European organization and another explanation written by US experts, so the consumer can make his mind up.

Food labelling really needs fixing. When in Lidl recently, I saw rice labeled as product of the UK. Well, I've never seen any rice paddies here, so imagine that's packaged in the UK. I don't eat the packaging and this really is not playing the game.

Rice Paddies? I saw three of them from Dublin last week who were visiting my town on the English south coast. After twelve pints of Guinness in the local pub they slid into the Taj Mahal Indian restaurant next door, where they quickly became unconscious and fell into a... 'korma'.

The old ones are always the best.

sglad
July 23rd, 2018, 23:37
I remember that first special moment when, like all young boys, my first pubic hair appeared - eh, at the end of a pair of tweezers, having been extricated from between my two upper front teeth by the oral hygienist!

Oh-oh, I hope Oliver2 isn't going to take offence at all this innuendo.

dinagam
July 24th, 2018, 12:41
Flossing the teeth diligently will obviate the necessity to use a pair of tweezers in order to extricate incidental pubic hair from the mouth.

poshglasgow
July 24th, 2018, 19:56
I spend the whole of June in Pattaya and was fine until two days before my departure. Then I developed severe stomach pains. On my return to the UK it got worse but tests for all the normal holiday tummy bugs were negative. Then a second doctor suggested testing for “Helicobacter Pylori”.

That was positive.

Helicobacter Pylori is a bacterial infection that causes inflammation of the stomach lining and stomach ulcers.

You can catch it from an infected person via saliva and other bodily fluids. However, the commonest way is via infected water or food.

Given the timing it’s almost certain I caught it in Thailand. I am careful what I eat or put in my mouth but one meal with a Thai friend does rather stand out and I suspect that.

I'm now on two antibiotics and another medicine to reduce stomach acid. I'm told I'll be fine in a week.

The other condition which sounds similar is that old enemy of the gut: campylobacter. It too is grim and causes dreadful stomach cramps every few minutes with associated pebble-dashing of the inside of the lavatory for 5 - 7 days duration. Again, it is contracted through cross-contamination but is not often treated with antibiotics (unlike treatment for helicobacter pylori with necessitates the use of a very powerful but effective antibiotic).
in 2015, the Food Standards Agency tested raw chicken for the presence of campylobacter. The result? 73% tested positive.

Interesting article in the 'Nation' at this link: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Giving-the-heave-ho-to-Helicobater-Pylori-30211419.html

scottish-guy
July 27th, 2018, 14:12
If any USA import needs chlorinated, surely it's this !

poshglasgow
July 29th, 2018, 05:01
If any USA import needs chlorinated, surely it's this !

Does one eat the contents or play with them, I wonder?

Boneless Pork Rectums (inverted). How do you determine which way up a deatched recturm is?

frequent
July 29th, 2018, 06:11
Does one eat the contents or play with them, I wonder? Boneless Pork Rectums (inverted). How do you determine which way up a deatched recturm is?I suggest you alert the Moderators to the idea that this thread should now be combined with the thread on "Anal Massage"

arsenal
July 29th, 2018, 08:05
I would suggest we have one clear example of a detached rectum on this very board.

francois
July 30th, 2018, 02:32
With a name like arsenal I can understand your interest.

arsenal
July 30th, 2018, 04:47
Francois. Your joke is staler than last weeks baguette.

poshglasgow
July 30th, 2018, 06:28
With a name like arsenal I can understand your interest.
Please tell me that they are not human. Are they pigs' recums? Is the plural of rectum, 'recta' or even 'rector')?

I looked at the three specimens above and, for some Freudian reason, I saw three beheaded mermaids of advanced years washed up on the shore!!

francois
July 30th, 2018, 09:20
Francois. Your joke is staler than last weeks baguette.

My apologies, arsenal, the devil, in the guise of a wine bottle, made me write that. :heart: Cheers.

francois
July 30th, 2018, 09:25
Please tell me that they are not human. Are they pigs' recums? Is the plural of rectum, 'recta' or even 'rector')?

I looked at the three specimens above and, for some Freudian reason, I saw three beheaded mermaids of advanced years washed up on the shore!!

No poshglasgow, they are not human, rather pig rectums, known in the trade as bung . Supposedly quite tasty and rumored to be substituted for fried calamari.

arsenal
July 30th, 2018, 09:29
No apology needed Francois. And the best sausages are bound in pigs intestines.

paborn
July 30th, 2018, 19:41
Indeed. I wonder if my fellow americans are aware of the actual meaning of the hot dog lable :" natural casings" So very organic.

poshglasgow
July 30th, 2018, 22:14
No poshglasgow, they are not human, rather pig rectums, known in the trade as bung . Supposedly quite tasty and rumored to be substituted for fried calamari.

Oh No, surely not! Now every time I order calamari I am going to have to ask the obvious question: rubbery or buggery?.

Looking at the three samples above, each of these pigs appears to have diverticular disease (very common among the over-50s in this country), although most don't know they have it.

kittyboy
July 30th, 2018, 23:27
Fried pig colon is a very popular dish in China. I have eaten it. It is not my favorite as it has a funny taste.
I suspect fried pig colon would not be a popular dish in most parts of Europe or North America. Maybe a anglicized recipes would create pig colon demand? General Tso's pig colon? Bung hole chop suey?

paborn
July 30th, 2018, 23:43
North America no, especially the US. But, never underestimate the erthiness of traditional French and Italian cuaines. Not to mention, what might appear on A Spanish Tapas bar. Bull Balls?

frequent
July 31st, 2018, 05:20
North America no, especially the US. But, never underestimate the erthiness of traditional French and Italian cuaines. Not to mention, what might appear on A Spanish Tapas bar. Bull Balls?I'm not aware of what a cuaine might be, nor its "erthiness", but I'm almost certain I've never seen bull balls on the menu at the tapas bar near Balcony, known as Spanish on Four (although did it change its name recently?). For the geographically challenged, that's in Soi 4, Bangkok

paborn
July 31st, 2018, 05:54
I will say one more time - I have eye surgery scheduled. In fact, tomorrow, eventually I will not be squinting with one eye - will you please let it be? I know you read this before.

As to bull balls - get your tapas in Spain for God's sake. Soi 4?????

frequent
July 31st, 2018, 06:08
I will say one more time - I have eye surgery scheduled. In fact, tomorrow, eventually I will not be squinting with one eye - will you please let it be? I know you read this before.

As to bull balls - get your tapas in Spain for God's sake. Soi 4?????Right - let me just make sure I understand your perspective - one can only have a genuine experience of a cuisine in the country where it is indigenous? There are no genuine Thai restaurants in Spain, to use an apposite example?

arsenal
July 31st, 2018, 06:40
Frequent wrote.
"one can only have a genuine experience of a cuisine in the country where it is indigenous?"

Yes. Absolutely correct. One can have a superb facsimile of a country's cuisine but only in the country of origin can.one enjoy the genuine experience because the food encompasses so much more than what is on the plate.

paborn
July 31st, 2018, 07:00
well said. If someone can't accept that I have seen such tapas on offer in Spain; then there is little else to say.

frequent
July 31st, 2018, 07:24
well said. If someone can't accept that I have seen such tapas on offer in Spain; then there is little else to say.Who exactly has challenged your observations about tapas in Spain? All I said was that the item wasn't on the menu at a single tapas bar in Bangkok. Being a tad sensitive today? I'll put that down to anxiety about your upcoming eye operation - and best wishes for that by the way

paborn
July 31st, 2018, 07:26
Thank you. I remain confused as to your point about tapas in soi 4 Bangkok. It's relavence to anything I said - off to bed - early day tomorrow.

frequent
July 31st, 2018, 07:27
I remain confused ...See my earlier comment about Francis Urquart/Frank Underwood. A role model of mine. A friend of mine calls me "Arnold" after the character in Yes (Prime) Minister

bkkguy
July 31st, 2018, 19:20
As to bull balls - get your tapas in Spain for God's sake.

the last time I was in Spain I was at a tapas bar and watched as the table next to mine was served these two enormous balls on a plate. I asked the waiter what the dish was and he explained there had been a bull fight that day and these were the balls from the loser. I asked for some as well but the waiter said there had only been one fight that day but there would be another tomorrow so I went back the next day and ordered the balls and was disappointed to be served two very small balls. When I reminded the waiter of the size of the dish yesterday he pointed out that the bull does not lose every day!

I suppose Soi 4 does seem rather tame by comparison!

bkkguy

sglad
August 3rd, 2018, 00:59
I will say one more time - I have eye surgery scheduled. In fact, tomorrow, eventually I will not be squinting with one eye - will you please let it be?

How are you feeling, paborn - how did the eye surgery go? I hope you're making a quick recovery. Try not to sit in front of the computer too much.:)

paborn
August 3rd, 2018, 01:24
Second operation on my left eye in 30 days so a little sensitive about my typing. Thanks for asking kindly. I expect another month of healing and I should be fine - both operations went fine -

sglad
August 3rd, 2018, 01:29
Second operation on my left eye in 30 days so a little sensitive about my typing. Thanks for asking kindly. I expect another month of healing and I should be fine - both operations went fine -

Good to hear. You shouldn't strain your eyes too much. This board will still be here in a month's time; it's like watching The Bald and the Pitiful - six months later we'll still be at the same scene - debating the merits of the Tarntawan, man-boys vs fem-boys, what purpose do the moderators serve (none), etc, etc.. :D

scottish-guy
August 4th, 2018, 15:31
...what purpose do the moderators serve (none) ...

Nailed it!!

Other than self-aggrandisement, none whatsoever