PDA

View Full Version : Could Double Shot shut its doors?

lonelywombat
July 16th, 2018, 19:24
Quiet rumors that the owner is staggered at BIB ruling against his attached hotel, and he is possibly thinking of a move to Cambodia.
Depends if he can find a buyer for both the bar and hotel next door?.

scottish-guy
July 16th, 2018, 20:59
For those of us who know nothing about "BIB ruling against his attached hotel" - could you elucidate?

sglad
July 16th, 2018, 21:01
For those of us who know nothing about "BIB ruling against his attached hotel" - could you elucidate?

Please don't encourage him. Do you really want a minute-by-minute, blow-by-blow, live coverage and seven threads on this for his international audience in 24 different time zones?

lonelywombat
July 16th, 2018, 23:23
The ruling has been made by BIB that he cannot run a short time hotel and also a fee paying hotel.
One or the other.But others in the same area do it without problems.
it is also obvious that the parties that used to pull big crowds, from bar patrons are now dwindling
The closure on sunday nights has been added with extra nights lately

as for sglad, maybe we should publish as to what is happening with sglad in jomtien?

Blacktouch
July 17th, 2018, 23:59
What is BIB?

scottish-guy
July 18th, 2018, 00:24
Banged In (the) Bum

Alternatively, the Boys In Brown = Thai Cops

Blacktouch
July 18th, 2018, 02:20
Quiet rumors that the owner is staggered at BIB ruling against his attached hotel, and he is possibly thinking of a move to Cambodia.
Depends if he can find a buyer for both the bar and hotel next door?.

The owner of Double Shot bar does have a business partner who is Frence. So finding a buyer will need both agreeing to sell up I would have thought?

Manforallseasons
July 18th, 2018, 06:12
Under the new law that forces him to sell because rooms must be let for 30 days or more why would anyone want to buy it?

Manforallseasons
July 18th, 2018, 10:28
Not anymore francois! There are new guide lines that constitute a hotel and many different criteria are needed just to qualify for a license to do business as a hotel......just calling it a hotel no longer works.

lonelywombat
July 18th, 2018, 10:36
I believe the owner like the look of Phnom Penh. Has been for a third visit.

frequent
July 18th, 2018, 10:36
It's also known as the "anti airBNB" court ruling - https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1467442/airbnb-bookings-illegal-court-declares

frequent
July 18th, 2018, 10:39
I believe the owner like the look of Phnom Penh. Has been for a third visit.Perhaps he could buy The Manor House. That seems to change ownership with monotonous regularity

scottish-guy
July 18th, 2018, 12:58
From what others have said and implied (he can't get a regular Hotel licence for some reason) which then precludes him from renting any rooms for less than 30 days then it seems he's in the very difficult position of not being able to trade the "Hotel" as it was, and being unlikely to be able to sell it.

A nightmare scenario

lonelywombat
July 18th, 2018, 22:48
Yes as he has the money, he might just walk away from the leases?

gerefan2
July 19th, 2018, 00:52
Maybe I will just ask him when he is back from Cambodia on Friday...

Blacktouch
July 19th, 2018, 16:27

Please do?

gerefan2
July 19th, 2018, 17:10
Interestingly all the Cambodian staff have been let go until next month, which only leaves about 2 Thai waiters and 2 bar staff.

It is of course the lowest of low season.

Still my favourite haunt.

scottish-guy
July 19th, 2018, 17:25
If this is the lowest of the low season in Thailand, what do you call August and September (which has been the times I usually visit)?

Cue MiniMee

scottish-guy
July 19th, 2018, 17:30
If this is the lowest of the low season in Thailand, what do you call August and September (which has been the times I usually visit)?

A time to visit Laos!

:D

*Just thought I'd get that one in before anybody else did :drink:

Blacktouch
July 21st, 2018, 23:40

Any news on Double Shot?

Manforallseasons
July 22nd, 2018, 00:09
I walked bye 11 PM, 2 staff no customers.

joe552
July 22nd, 2018, 10:05
When I was there in January, I always started my evening with Happy (2) Hours in Double Shot. Staff were cute but not very attentive - actually had to go to the bar myself on more than one occasion - quelle horreur!

gerefan2
July 22nd, 2018, 12:39
Any news on Double Shot?
Boss not back until Sunday but bar closed on Sundays....

Manforallseasons
July 22nd, 2018, 15:08
Rumor has it Double Shot owner looking for business oppertunities in Cambodia.......

frequent
July 22nd, 2018, 15:16
Rumor has it Double Shot owner looking for business oppertunities in Cambodia.......Full circle. Exactly what lonelywombat said in the post that started this thread

Blacktouch
July 22nd, 2018, 20:03
Have any of you notice lately Double Shot has not been busy at all?

Sometimes just the owner and a handful of friends/customers sitting around the middle bar.

Then you get the odd customer may pop in for a drink or two?

Manforallseasons
July 22nd, 2018, 20:06
Most of the staff have been let go......looks very gloomy.

gerefan2
July 22nd, 2018, 21:06
Most of the staff have been let go......looks very gloomy.

See my post #17. They should be back next month.

gerefan2
July 22nd, 2018, 21:08
Have any of you notice lately Double Shot has not been busy at all?
?

Have any bars in Sunnee? It is the height of low season.

Manforallseasons
July 22nd, 2018, 21:23
See my post #17. They should be back next month.

We await their return.

Blacktouch
July 22nd, 2018, 22:43
Have any bars in Sunnee? It is the height of low season.

I'm talking about throughout the year, even during Christmas last year when I drunk there every night.

Blacktouch
July 22nd, 2018, 22:45
Interestingly all the Cambodian staff have been let go until next month, which only leaves about 2 Thai waiters and 2 bar staff.

It is of course the lowest of low season.

Still my favourite haunt.

Wonder what those boys who were "Let go" until next month are doing till then?

gerefan2
July 22nd, 2018, 23:20
I understand they went home. We will soon find out whether they return next month.

Must have seen you in there last Christmas as I was also in there most nights. It wasn’t all that empty, some nights it was heaving.

Blacktouch
July 22nd, 2018, 23:58
I understand they went home. We will soon find out whether they return next month.

Must have seen you in there last Christmas as I was also in there most nights. It wasn’t all that empty, some nights it was heaving.

You may have seen me/us?

Three males - One black guy, two white guys, one was large in built. Lol

Some nights we counted 15 staff, including the two/three behind the bar.

But we also counted less than 5 customers some nights at a time. Just our observation?

scottish-guy
July 23rd, 2018, 00:35
...some nights it was heaving.

The nights Arsenal was stripping? That's enough to make anybody heave

:yahoo_mini:

gerefan2
July 23rd, 2018, 01:14
Don’t know what time you got there blacktouch but Doubleshot is busier later rather than earlier. It also stays open later than most bars .

I rarely get there before 1230 or 1 am and treat it as a a final pit stop after eating and visiting gogo bars etc. in Boyztown. At that time it’s usually busy, sometimes till well after 3 depending whether the owners friends are emptying the barrels!

Blacktouch
July 23rd, 2018, 03:28
Don’t know what time you got there blacktouch but Doubleshot is busier later rather than earlier. It also stays open later than most bars .

I rarely get there before 1230 or 1 am and treat it as a a final pit stop after eating and visiting gogo bars etc. in Boyztown. At that time it’s usually busy, sometimes till well after 3 depending whether the owners friends are emptying the barrels!

Some nights we got there about 11pm, stay for a few drinks, then move on to another bar, then on to Winner Go Go Bar, then end back at Double Shot till 4am ish.

Most nights there were more boys than customers.

Double Shot is my favourite bar in Pattaya, and I perfer to drink there than any of the other bars. But my friends like to move around to other bars like Elephant Bar, Winner, the bar opersite Double Shot (The One) which is run by an old lady.

Maybe I like Double Shot's bright lights, lively atmosphere, loud music and friendly staff, although not always my type, but they are all nice friendly guys!

sglad
July 23rd, 2018, 23:26
I think this is the bar I briefly sat at during my whirlwind trip to Pattaya last year. It's the smartest-looking bar of the lot, isn't it (which, in Sunee Plaza, isn't saying much!)?

I thought it was OK. To me all these bars kinda look/feel the same but this one looked less miserable than the others.

Don't you all think you're doing it a disservice by speculating on its impending death, closure, relocation, whatever, based on rumour and gossip started by the lonely dingbat?

joe552
July 24th, 2018, 10:14
While in Pattaya in January, Double Shot was the start of my evening out for happy hour. Not the most attentive staff unless you bought them a drink. I'm happy, though, to sit alone and watch life go by. It does brighten up that area. I haven't been there in the early hours. Maybe next time, instead of taking the boy from Winner's straight back to my room, we could stop off here for a sweet sherry or two?

neddy3
July 24th, 2018, 16:53
Sherry!!

OMG, what revolting stuff. Not even fit for cooking!

I can't imagine any Thai boy would like it.

Blacktouch
July 24th, 2018, 17:47
Sherry!!

What about "port"?

neddy3
July 24th, 2018, 17:51
No comparison.

Port is quite drinkable.

Though I still can't imagine any Thai boy liking it.

scottish-guy
July 24th, 2018, 19:16
I’m unsure where in Pattaya you could buy Sherry or Port, but Sex On The Beach followed by a Screaming Orgasm is readily available

bkkguy
July 24th, 2018, 19:26
Sherry!!

well - given the choice of sex with joe or a sherry ...

bkkguy

paborn
July 24th, 2018, 19:34
Sherry!!

God, "not fit for cooking"?????? Sherry is so fundamental to thousands of recipies - the final fillip - or, for pan sauces, the essential additive to deglaze the pan that this quote just took my breath a way. My humble kitchen is equiped, as part of my permanet mis en place, with sherry, port and vermouth ( julia child recommended it for daily use over white wine as it is both white wine and stable ) - please consider the effect of your remarks on civilization as we know it.

sglad
July 24th, 2018, 19:35
I’m unsure where in Pattaya you could buy Sherry or Port, but Sex On The Beach followed by a Screaming Orgasm is readily available

...but not before they've had a Corpse Reviver.

francois
July 24th, 2018, 21:35
Sherry!!

Wise words from a wine devotee as yourself, neddy3. Actually any opened bottle of white wine quickly ages into something comparable to sherry

paborn
July 24th, 2018, 22:04
Fracois, the French know food and wine better than that - "comparable" is a bit too much to compare old leftover wine with the careful solera process of Sapin and it's final fortification. Neddy3 has not idea what he talkiong about, be kind, don't confuse him any farther.

scottish-guy
July 24th, 2018, 23:32
...Actually any opened bottle of white wine quickly ages into something comparable to sherry

There's a very simple way to prevent that - although I'm a Cabernet/Merlot/Malbec drinker myself

paborn
July 24th, 2018, 23:36
I'm Merlot/Malbec and have never understood the concept of buying contraptions and arguing about how to best save a 1/2 bottle of wine. Drink the damn thing - it will never be better.

neddy3
July 25th, 2018, 07:10
Fracois, the French know food and wine better than that - "comparable" is a bit too much to compare old leftover wine with the careful solera process of Sapin and it's final fortification. Neddy3 has not idea what he talkiong about, be kind, don't confuse him any farther.

I know what I like, and it is not sherry, that's for sure.
I'm also sure that others will appreciate it.

I guess that you and I are cooking from different recipe books!

paborn
July 25th, 2018, 07:21
Agreed! I even suspect that I cook a great deal more than you............

frequent
July 25th, 2018, 07:41
The original reference was to sweet sherry which is a mainstay for maiden aunts and grannies everywhere. I think one of my grandmothers had it on intravenous drip. Dry sherry is altogether different - the sort of drink one enjoys with the vicar, don't you know. Madeira is another favourite fortified wine. However I do remember as a young man reading a book where the gay afternoon nirvana was described as "a glass of beer, a ham sandwich and a boy". I've never been a person much interested in beer, but I've made up for that with the other two items

paborn
July 25th, 2018, 08:35
Dry fino sherry is making a comeback along with the innovative cooking of Bilbao. I, for one, have always loved Madeira - rainwater a superb sipping drink.

francois
July 25th, 2018, 08:39
When all is said and done, I don't recall seeing sherry on any menu in Pattaya.
If it was available I wouldn't drink it. Why drink sherry when Mont Clair is available? :bo:

neddy3
July 25th, 2018, 09:26
Indeed!! Who could want for anything more?

frequent
July 25th, 2018, 13:09
Why drink sherry when Mont Clair is available?Anyone who knows me well will understand why Riesling is my favourite wine with a meal. However sherry is a fortified wine and not one I drink with a meal - although many do. For those who are interested you can read this guide to sherry and sherries (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jan/19/sherry-guide-beginners-wine-spain)

neddy3
July 25th, 2018, 14:29
To get this thread back toward being on topic, could someone ask the big boss at Double Shot if he has any sherry on his shelves.

frequent
July 25th, 2018, 14:34
To get this thread back toward being on topic, could someone ask the big boss at Double Shot if he has any sherry on his shelves.And if patrons can buy double shots of it