PDA

View Full Version : trying to get visa for a couple of thai guys to canada -

July 27th, 2006, 00:52
any help appreciated.

a couple of friends who work in hotels would like to come to canada for a few months to make some money and see the world. They are not prostitutes. One has been to Canada before to see a boy friend.
I would like to get them visas to come to Canada to work or possibly come as tourists and work in a thai restaurant if the working visa is too difficult to get. One is a tourism college graduate, the other is close, and a third friend has no school just bar experience. None of them are likely to have any money in their accounts, at least not for every month of the last years. Only one or two are respectably employed (one at starwood).
I do not mind paying for their airfare, but would hope to be reimbursed wwith the money they make. If guarantees are involved, I do not mind guaranteeing them unless it would put me on the line if they get a hundred thousand dollar medical problem. I would have them stay in my home for free, but I would probably not be there, except to help them in the beginning. 3 months would be ideal, but 1 or 6 months would work too.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can they get away with working illegally in the kitchen or as waiters in a thai restaurant in a major canadian city with alot of jobs? To get them a work visa I guess I would need to get them jobs first, right, how would I do so? Are the visas very expensive, complicated, do I have a role to play in getting them the visas? Is there a downside that I am not thinking about? I know all the guys for years, they are all still very young, I do not want anything from them, I have not subjected them to my naked body.

Thanks

D.O.M

July 27th, 2006, 03:02
May I ask why you want to sponsor them?

yaraboy
July 27th, 2006, 04:13
Not a hope !............. Main citeria is whether Visa Section thinks that they are likley to stay in Canada..........so need things like
good job
Significant bank account
property ownership
Other reasons for returning to Thailand

Smiles
July 27th, 2006, 04:19
You cannot "get" another person a visa to Canada or probably any other country. All people must apply for their own visas, on their own merits.
Some countries may take into account letters and statements from so-called 'sponsors', but that will probably not be the deciding factor to approve it.

A visitor cannot work in Canada (no different than Thailand) without a special work visa, and I can almost guarantee you that your Thai friends will not get one (at least according to the info you've provided in your post above).
Encouraging them to work in Canada on the sly (that is, if they are sucessful in getting a tourist visa) is asking for huge problems with the law, and you are doing them no favours by suggesting they do this: that idea is just plain dumb.

On the positive side, the fact that one of your friends has already come to Canada once (?) before on a tourist visa (I assume) is probably a plus for him getting it again, but it is still not a given. The other two will undoubtedly be denied.

This is all IMHO as I'm no expert ~ though having some knowledge ~ on Canadian visa law.

Cheers ...

PS ... D.O.M. = "Dirty Old Man"? I assume.

July 28th, 2006, 02:55
yeah DOM is dirty old man, just forgot my login from the old board.

motivation is just kindness, that is it.

i know many people do work illegally in restaurantsin my city where there is a worker shorteage.

the boy that got the visa- his friend helped him last year, he is not sure how. 2nd boy has better qualifications - finished college, works for a major international hotel, has worked in hotels consistently for years. third boy is not educated and works in a bar so presumably more difficult.

i know the procedure is supposed to be get the job first, have the paperwork sent in for the right visa, i have till next summer to set it up, first hand experience would be appreciated. i know you can not get anyone else a visa, but these are small town insophisticates, the onus is on me if it is going to happen

Aunty
July 28th, 2006, 03:57
Why are you asking this board?? Wouldn't it make more sense to go and discuss it with your local Canadian immigration office first and find out what the current law and policy for Thai wanting temp work permits for Canada is?

I mean otherwise what are you going to do? Apply for visas for your friends and when declined, storm in to your local immigration office remonstrating 'but big-bouncing-bummer-boy on Sawatdee forum told me.....!"

Oh please.

July 28th, 2006, 07:54
Why are you asking this board?? Wouldn't it make more sense to go and discuss it with your local Canadian immigration office first and find out what the current law and policy for Thai wanting temp work permits for Canada is? I mean otherwise what are you going to do? Apply for visas for your friends and when declined, storm in to your local immigration office remonstrating 'but big-bouncing-bummer-boy on Sawatdee forum told me.....!" Oh please.Indeed. Why does anyone bother posting immigration/visa questions in this Forum? Why does anyone bother posting? Could we all find out everything we need by other means? The Bangkok Post is available online, so why does wowpow still bother with his cut'n'paste articles. or those guys who refer to what Stickman writes, or White Desire's monthly speculative piece on FX rates. Perhaps we should just close the Forum down altogether?

July 28th, 2006, 08:51
fidning out what the rules are, and finding out how to work the rules are two different matters. perhaps someone has some relevant experience. aunty .....

Aunty
July 28th, 2006, 14:41
Evidently they do not.

Smiles
July 28th, 2006, 19:41
" ... perhaps someone has some relevant experience ... "
'Relevant experience' in what? Trying to "get" visas for 3 Thai guys who almost certainly don't stand a chance in hell of getting them anyway and then suggesting that they try working illegally in Canada (if by some miracle they do).
You're whistlin' dixie pal.

Cheers ... but from the info in your original post I don't wish you good luck.

July 28th, 2006, 20:07
It would seem that there are two basic visas a Thai person could get to visit Canada.

Firstly to get a working visa you need a temporary work permit, this needs an offer from an employer, and is essentially meant to cover a shortage of skills in Canada.
I cannot see Thai hospitality workers qualifying.

Secondly they could come on a tourist visa and work illegally.
Apart from the fact that they are likely to be exploited by the employer, they run the risk of being deported, and having that on their record.
In addition why would a Canadian citizen choose to assist in breaking the laws and intent of his own country.

By all means make enquiries, but don't build up your hopes, and don't build up the hopes of these Thai guys.

Surfcrest
July 28th, 2006, 20:35
I like to spend weekends up in Whistler and I'm surprised that there are so many Australians working up in the Village.
Sometimes if feels as though there are more Mexicans living in Vancouver than there are in Mexico.
I see quite a few pouring out of the many construction sites around the city.

I know a dozen or so young Thais that have found their way to Canada. Some are working in Thai restaurants, but these folks are talented chefs / culinary artists. The rest are students from well-to-do Thai families. I think what you propose is possible, you might want to ask someone in a Thai restaurant how it's done.

Surfcrest

yaraboy
July 28th, 2006, 21:08
Surfcrest . The Australians are here because of an open visa relationship for young adults between the two countries.
Mexicans: Either students, well off tourists or contract workers brought in for a specified period. probably some illegals but it is easier for them to slip in here via land borders
Thais come in under a student visa or as fully qualified Thai Chefs with a prior job offer

None of this helps our 3 Thais in question

July 29th, 2006, 04:14
some things i do know (response to other posters)

It is possible for people from 3rd world countries to get visas for menial tourist seasonal jobs in canada. however, the red tape can be exceedingly slow - that is why I am trying to start now, and if i could get the information for free or even the name of a visa consultant who produces results rather than just fees, I thought it was worth a try on this board.

Also, many people do do it illegally, at least two out of the three guys can get tourist visas in all likelihood.

People who had no relevant information had enough time to judge, write useless posts, etc.
I would be pleased if this topic could be closed now (and am glad that I do not know some of the posters).