PDA

View Full Version : AUSTRALIA - THAILAND from $AUD 169 one way

July 26th, 2006, 11:46
Just announced in Australia this morning (EST) - one way fares from $AUD169 from Sydney and Melbourne to Phuket and BKK to commence in November. Add on taxes etc of about $AUD200 - 220 so a round trip could be as cheap as $550 - $600. (Just guessing). There is also an option for Star Class which I presume would be the equivalent of full economy as these fares are budget. However, with Jetstar, there are allocated seats (full leather) - have no details on meals.
Before u go rushing off to the phone or internet, I have been trying all morning - internet site will load after an interminable length of time, but then grinds to a halt, and phone lines are jammed. Good luck!

Jetstar Asia website: www.jetstarasia.com

Article on fares:

: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Business/ ... 22665.html (http://www.theage.com.au/news/Business/Jetstar-Asian-flights-to-start-in-Nov/2006/07/26/1153816222665.html)

July 26th, 2006, 11:59
Sorry guys - gave u the incorrect website should be:

www.jetstar.com (http://www.jetstar.com) (not jetstarasia)

July 26th, 2006, 12:46
From Bankok to Sydney dep 3/12 ret 9/1 the price is 25,016 baht including taxes etc. Good, but not spectacular. If the return leg had cost the same as the outward it would have been 16,500 baht, which would be worth searching for if you're flexible about dates (incidentally, they only seem to operate once a week - sundays from BKK-SYD - but use qantas planes.

andrewcraig
July 26th, 2006, 15:33
the $735 return for Star is without taxes

here is the detail from the site

All Prices are quoted in Australian dollars.

Prices exclude airfare-related surcharges, fees and taxes.

Even More Comfort

StarClass, Jetstar's premium cabin, will be available on all international Jetstar services operated by the Airbus A330 and will offer a total package experience for the traveller who wants more space, and more comfort for a long trip. The StarClass cabin will offer 38 leather-covered seats, each with a 38-inch seat pitch giving you more room to move. All seats will be equipped with in-seat power, allowing passengers to plug in a laptop or recharge personal music players.
Inflight service

StarClass passengers will have meals, beverages and a snack bar included as part of the StarClass personalised service. Passengers also have access to an amenity kit, blanket and pillow as well as entertainment options which include audio channels and a personal video-on-demand unit featuring a range of new release movies, TV shows, music videos and kids' programmes.
At the airport

In order to add to the airport experience, StarClass passengers will have priority check-in and a checked baggage allowance of 30kg, in addition to their carry-on luggage allowance. After check-in, StarClass passengers will have access to the Qantas Club lounges while waiting for their priority boarding. Qantas Frequent Flyer members travelling on StarClass tickets will earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points and Status Credits.

July 26th, 2006, 18:43
Hi, Justin, Andrew,

Justin, I don't want to be picky, but I'm not interested in flights originating in BKK
although your quote of BKK-SYD return of 25016 baht converting to $AUD868 incl taxes aint bad - I think that you would be pretty pushed for that time of year (Dec/Jan) to get that price originating from Australia as it is well into high season.
Jetstar's prices are pretty unbeatable, but I suspect the initial minimum special offer of $AUD169 one way in November will only be a special launch fare and will not remain that low for long. Having said that, it is bloody useless to me as I live on the western seabord, and cheap flights ex Perth will take ages to take off in WA (otherwise known as wait awhile) - always the bridesmaid, never the fucking bride!
Just for fun, I did a bit of calculating for the Jetstar fare from Sydney and came up with:

SYD-BKK $169
BKK-SYD $169
Taxes etc $200 (approx)

Total $538.00 (If you're thinking in baht = about 15477). I defy anybody to get a better deal.

Andrew, that deal with Jetstar out of Sydney in StarClass doesn't sound bad - about $AUD950 return including taxes if my calculations are correct. The flight is about 11 hours from memory, so the extra dollars would be worth it. Is StarClass similar to premium economy?

Cheers

lonelywombat
July 26th, 2006, 18:48
Hi, Andrew,
Andrew, that deal with Jetstar out of Sydney in StarClass doesn't sound bad - about $AUD950 return including taxes if my calculations are correct. The flight is about 11 hours from memory, so the extra dollars would be worth it. Is StarClass similar to premium economy?

Cheers

Non stop from melb or sydney is usually under 9 hours

from memory the taxes are $200 plus

I cannot get into the site, given up

star sounds interesting as I have long legs, and dont mind paying for the extras.

July 26th, 2006, 22:21
If you're flying from Perth, check out prices on Qantas to Singapore. Lots of cheap flights from there on Tiger and Air Asia to Bangkok (and Phuket, Krabi and Chiang Mai).

Nabaat
July 27th, 2006, 04:29
Anyone have prices for BKK to Ade rtn?

July 27th, 2006, 04:48
their website seems to be shagged try clicking on any of the options & you'll just end up where you started

July 27th, 2006, 06:08
Well, I am confirmed from Sydney to Phuket 13.12.06 returning 05.01.07. Total fare is $617.00 INCLUDING TAXES. One would certainly pay TWICE this for high season.

The trick on the website is to keep searching for the cheapest fare OUT,, starting from AUD 32 excluding tax, as the returns are all similar. You can also choose seats.

The flights from Syd to BKK are via Melbourne and once taxes are included the cheapest fare for the same period flying into BKK was $845.00. From melbourne, however there are good deals to be done.

The reason for this is Syd/BKK is a very popular route, and if Jetstar was to offer lower prices there would be much undercutting from other cheaper airlines like emirates, royal brunei, gulf, BA etc. PLUS Qantas and Singapore still need to run their own jets, thus, if prices went lower they would have to sell those fares at a discounted rate. The government will NOT approve DIRECT syd/bkk.

In any case, fares will even out over time betrwwn carriers. As to star class - who cares for an 8 hour trip - why have illusions to grandeur on a budget carrier????

July 27th, 2006, 06:47
Thank all youl guys for your info. Its amazing when you throw a sensible question into this forum what info becomes available. Bouquets to you all and thanks

lonelywombat
July 28th, 2006, 18:08
I said earlier the figure was about $200 but friend of mine gave the figure at $301,

same for all fares.

One surprise is they want his passport number on the booking.

I thought that passport number was like a tax file number, under the privacy legislation.

Anyway it will be interesting to see if there are FF seats available now on regular Qantas

flights OZ/LOS

sattahip-old
July 29th, 2006, 12:05
Read about the specials on Jetstar in the Nation. On the net immediately. At these prices why not just book cheap dates and arrange the rest later.
Well I live in Sattahip and love Phuket and Phang Nga so I decided to combine a Phuket sojourn with a trip to OZ.
Net result. Return Phuket non-stop from U-Tapao, just down the road, about Baht6000, return Phuket/Sydney Baht11,510. Total Baht17,510 including all taxes and fees, plus stopover costs at low season prices in Patong and Khao Lak.
I am pleased but just a little bit closer to insolvency.
Please note the Jetstar site asks you to volunteer your passport number but it is not obligatory. I declined.

Boxer
July 31st, 2006, 17:53
Just test booked a place on Jetstar.com 1000 baht Bkk to Melbourne with 8500 baht return. Nov out Jan back. Phuket Sydney also available.
Bargain even with taxes etc on top. First class was only 20000 baht!

lonelywombat
July 31st, 2006, 18:00
Just test booked a place on Jetstar.com 1000 baht Bkk to Melbourne with 8500 baht return. Nov out Jan back. Phuket Sydney also available.
Bargain even with taxes etc on top. First class was only 20000 baht!

First class you must have different URL to me

The Star class is a down market business class, I am told.