PDA

View Full Version : I just published an ebook

joe552
July 5th, 2018, 22:22
Hi guys, it's certainly been a while - hope you're all well. I've just published my first ebook on Amazon for kindle, called "To be honest...". It's my family history of 200 years in Dublin, and my own journey through life. It's €5.99, so won't break the bank. I'm hoping to raise enough to publish it in paperback, so I'd really appreciate your support.

Many thanks, Joe Kelly

bobsaigon2
July 5th, 2018, 22:45
Joe, Great to see you back. I have contacted Amazon to purchase the book. Now I just have to figure out how to access Kindle. I'll think of something. Even if I have to buy an iPad to read it. Cheers

Jellybean
July 5th, 2018, 22:58
I too am glad to see you back joe552. Good luck with your eBook!

paborn
July 5th, 2018, 23:59
Bob, Amazon offers a free kindle reader software for use on any pad or computer or phone.

paborn
July 6th, 2018, 00:02
Just got it, looking forward to reading it.

Nirish guy
July 6th, 2018, 02:01
Hi ya Joe, Hope you're keeping well. Congrats on the ebook - I've just downloaded it so little do you know you're going with me to Thailand next week !!! You'll be my emirates reading material !!

And you know it's strange but I always envisaged you looking almost exactly as you do in your pic there !

Just from reading the review online that's very brave of you putting yourself out there like that, warts and all, good for you - and a lovely thing to leave behind for posterity after we've all shuffled off this mortal coil.

PS if it's crap can I have my money back ?? :) I'm jesting as I'm sure that won't be the case.

Best of luck with it - remember us mere mortals once you're at your million euro book signings now won't you ! :)

Edit - actually Joe - if it's not too personal a question - out of pure nosiness, how does that whole publishing an ebook thing work - obviously Amazon or whatever get the lions share ( I presume) but what about you, do you get a nice whack of that too or only pennies after they've had their cut perhaps ? Feel free to say mind your own business of course but I'm guessing it's public knowledge for those who could be bothered to go look it up, I'm just being lazy / nosey ?? Before anyone panics dont worry I'm not thinking of taking up writing novels - well, anymore than usual on here that is :)

a447
July 6th, 2018, 03:10
I wonder if it's the same with some book publishers. They often ask you to pay for the first say, 5000 copies out of your own pocket.

If it does well, they'll offer you a contract.

Well done, Joe!

paborn
July 6th, 2018, 04:04
Very good read, I loved the voice. It brought up memories of an old Irish song, "Come Lasses and Lads." That i have by a young ( years ago ) bouy tenor from San Fraqncisco named Michael Bannett. Oh hey said he and yes said i - wonderful tonality.

joe552
July 6th, 2018, 04:40
Thanks so much. I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think - good or bad.

joe552
July 6th, 2018, 04:42
Their cut is around 20%, so not too bad. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know. I used Go Fund Me to cover the publishing costs, and their cut was much higher. Wouldn't recommend them

poshglasgow
July 6th, 2018, 05:34
Joe, take a look at www.lulu.com. It's print on demand and you can order 1 paperback or 100. It's easy to upload your manuscript and construct your paper or hardback.

frequent
July 6th, 2018, 06:42
Their cut is around 20%, so not too bad. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know. I used Go Fund Me to cover the publishing costs, and their cut was much higher. Wouldn't recommend themFor all practical purposes, self-publishing via Amazon is free for eBooks. You write your book in Word, use a free programme like Calibre to convert it into the right format, and upload it to Amazon via their publishing tools. The "cost" to you is their percentage of the sales ie. it's all in the future, and wholly dependent on people buying your book

bobsaigon2
July 6th, 2018, 13:35
Bob, Amazon offers a free kindle reader software for use on any pad or computer or phone.

Thanks, Paborn. Indeed, downloading the Kindle app for my PC was accomplished in a few minutes and I have just finished reading Joe's book.
Good to have you young folks on hand to bring the seniors up to speed on high tech matters. :)

(Went to Amazon, typed "Amazon Kindle App' and clicked on the PC & Mac box to download. From there went to Amazon Kindle choices and opened Joe's book.)

scottish-guy
July 6th, 2018, 14:38
Hi Joe - publishing a book - well that was completely unexpected.

I bet nobody saw that one coming - you clearly have hidden depths. It's a bit like myself - I never knew I had it in me till I was about 14 :p

Anyhow I see you've already had a 5 star review - we just need to figure out which SGT reader it is who calls himself Brenda Harrington

:drink:

joe552
July 7th, 2018, 14:39
My readers are actually mostly women, or transvestites possibly. I'm having a book launch party at the end of the month and hope to meet some of my adoring fans. I've missed you lot.

Nirish guy
July 7th, 2018, 16:09
My readers are actually mostly women, or transvestites possibly. .

Serious question - how do you know - can the e-book seller see a final list of on going purchasers then so you can re advertise on to them later perhaps ?

joe552
July 7th, 2018, 19:48
Sorry, I really didn't understand the question. It's on Amazon. I've just figured out how to get the number of sales. I've no idea if I can find out who bought it. I have a page on FB with over 700 people, most are women. That's where my comment came from.

Nirish guy
July 7th, 2018, 21:25
Sorry, I really didn't understand the question. It's on Amazon. I've just figured out how to get the number of sales. I've no idea if I can find out who bought it. I have a page on FB with over 700 people, most are women. That's where my comment came from.

Ahhh yes, that's what I meant i.e how or could you even see on Amazon the gender of your purchasers to enable you to say most of your customers were women in the first place, but yes I see then, so good old facebook answers that question for - as well as what they had for their dinner and what their favourite likes, dislikes and darkest secrets are too no doubt !!

PS if you've never looked at your own facebook data and likes etc as stored in their "privacy check up's and privacy shortcuts" as viewable by clicking on the stood by them in their privacy help centre question mark at the top right of your screen beside the notifications tab etc then maybe do so someday as it's quite unbelievable the amount of raw data the buggers collect ( and sell on) about you - and the worst part it is of course all totally freely given to them by us the users for the mere "pleasure" of using their site no less.

Nirish guy
July 7th, 2018, 23:45
"stood by them" SHOULD have read "on the question mark in their privacy help centre - I've no idea where stood by them came from even !

joe552
July 7th, 2018, 23:56
If anyone wants to take a look at my FB page - very Dublin centric - it's Joe Kelly Here and There. i have a continuing story which I write every night - what we called a follyin' upper when we were kids.

Nirish guy
July 8th, 2018, 02:35
If anyone wants to take a look at my FB page - it's Joe Kelly Here and There. .

Is one sure that thats a good idea, naming your page and and all that as whilst the most people here appear to be decent folk(ish) one should never rule out the total fucking evil nutcases that lurk on the internet, out to cause as much peril as possible to others simply as they're not happy in their own pathetic lives ( yesl that would be Neal and the likes in the end).....there's a reason that this is and should probably remain an anonymous board perhaps and its not to allow for us relatively normal sane folk but more for the fuck wits who are it seems anything BUT perhaps !

RonanTheBarbarian
July 8th, 2018, 05:54
Congratulations Joe!

Will definitely buy the book. I remember the first time we met in the Long Hall pub in Dublin I was really impressed at the variety of different things you have done in your life.

Looking forward to reading about it.

joe552
July 8th, 2018, 10:59
NIrish, I take your point - I never considered that. I'm an open sort of person. The book is quite honest about my life, warts (I've never had a wart) and all. Well, it's out there now, so can't be helped.

Nirish guy
July 8th, 2018, 17:16
NIrish, I take your point - I never considered that. ........ Well, it's out there now, so can't be helped.

Actually should you ask I'm sure a Mod would happily delete or edit that post ( hell it's not like they dont have enough practice ! - sorry guys I couldn't resist :-) But up to you, if you dont care them it's no odds of course, I'm just thinking of when some evil nutter tries to join the 700 women on your FB page to tell them all the (lies) they (dont) know about you ! But as they say in TL - "up to you" :)

Nirish guy
July 10th, 2018, 18:56
Wow, I'm just half way through your book Joe and Wow, who knew that that celebrity who's never off TV was actually a raging queer who you'd been shagging for years !! I'm sure if aside from in your book that got out people would be blown away by that - and to think he looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth too ! Well I think you're just right to name and shame him as after that thing with the hot syrup and the sharp bread knife he needs exposed anyway for what he is - I'm surprised it didn't leave you more scarred than you described - and him, a national star too ! Like I say, who'd of thunk it !!

So, remind me Joe - what was the name of that book again and where can we buy it again !?? lol

* ok, YES ok, you all got me and the above IS no more than a shameless plug for one of our own's efforts to assist him in his attempts at giving J K Rowling and run for her money - anyway I'm sure Joe's book doesn't need such sulacious gossip to get sales up - as that Chapter about him, the priest and the 10 inch dlido will do that ALL by itself ! OPPS, there I go giving away the plot again !!! :)

Ah bugger - hell if I'm going to plug it I might as well go the whole hog and give the actual link as to where it CAN actually be purchased too I guess so here it is..... enjoy. ( See you shortly in Pattaya Joe and the first round is on you ! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honest-through-familys-history-personal-ebook/dp/B07F3Z26P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531223822&sr=8-1&keywords=to+be+honest+by+joe+kelly

Isaanguy
July 12th, 2018, 12:58
I have just bought it on my Kindle - I hope it is as good as you say

joe552
July 14th, 2018, 15:41
Thanks all.

colmx
July 17th, 2018, 03:46
Congrats on the book Joe

You should have asked me for some of the pics I have of you from the Morlam and you could have put them into it!
The pic with the plastic crown is pretty fetching!

BTW I was going through my old e-mails a few mins ago and I found correspondence between you and I from 2002 about you moving to Thailand to be with your first Thai love Kwan... I certainly don't remember writing the e-mails (or the phone call that is alluded to in the e-mails!) but it seems they happened!

joe552
July 22nd, 2018, 10:23
colmx, I don't remember that either. Now all I'll get from Kwan is celibacy and good company.