PDA

View Full Version : Sleep clinics in Bangkok?

November 11th, 2005, 07:20
Am I holding my breath until my next trip to Thailand or suffering a bad case

of sleep apnea?

Anyway, as I'm getting older (45) now, my sleep is less and less peaceful

and restful. I'm seeing lots of reports about how sleep apnea can lead to

heart attacks and death.

Are there approaches to sleeping ills that our uniquely Thai?

Any sleep clinics associated with hospitals or otherwise that you know of and

that accept the farang?

Sweet dreams.

</p>

November 11th, 2005, 07:39
I recommend the muscle show at Tawan Bar

__________________________________________________ ______________________

"Is that a hydra?" called Hedda from the doorway. "There's no such thing", said her mother firmly. "Daddy and I were just making the beast with two backs. Go to bed." But Hedda was scarred for life - Jane Austin, Memoirs of a Loss Adjuster</p>

November 11th, 2005, 07:43
Bumrungrad has the facilities you need. Unfortunately, they will also try to sell you a CPAP machine at three times what it costs in the US. There's nothing stopping you from buying one elsewhere, though, if it turns out you need it.

</p>

Geezer
November 11th, 2005, 14:10
I had a sleep study done at Bumrungrad Hospital and was quite satisfied. I was informed that my problem was not quite severe enough to require remediation.

I have found that most items manufactured outside the country (autos, computers, etc.) are much more expensive than in the West. Import duties? Corruption?

</p>

November 11th, 2005, 14:35
In the case of the CPAP devices, import duties and the fat commissions the distributors pay to the doctors for prescribing them. Much better to take the doctor's prescription and buy the thing off the internet in the US, if you need it.

</p>

November 11th, 2005, 17:17
You may want to consider having a uvulaplasty done. I suffered with apnia for years until I got tested at a hospital in New York. They tried me on the CPAP with very limited success. It was a minor surgery and now I can sleep a full night without making the kind of frightening noises that would scare away the dead.

</p>

November 12th, 2005, 17:48
Over the last couple of months i was waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breathe.When i was last in thailand my BF and some boys i offed that stayed the night use to tell me that i snored very very loud.So i went to see my local doctor and he advised to lose weight and exercise,try to do running at least 5km a day plus weightlifting.

</p>

November 12th, 2005, 17:51
When you woke up gasping for air, you didn't find your BF hovering over you holding a pillow, did you?

</p>

November 12th, 2005, 20:21
Actually, I did notice my BF keeps insisting we need firmer pillows.

You see why I want to find an ancient soul for my BF, so I don't have

to worry about stopping breathing before he does?

Actually, I don't snore as far as I know. I'm in great shape

physically. I don't gasp for air. I just don't breathe.

I'd make a great mannequin.

</p>

November 13th, 2005, 17:02
My DR told me that most sleep Apnea patients he saw were overweight.Exercise.lose weight he told me.Are you all overweight.You should be lifting weights.One hour a day walking,lifting weights,will fix this problem my Dr says.

I will start next Monday.

</p>

bao-bao
July 17th, 2006, 07:55
Sleep apnea actually means the person stops breathing dozens of times to hundreds of times a night. In a classic case, the person will exhale and then pause anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute before suddenly gasping loudly for air. It can be tested for by an overnight sleep session in a clinic -- where they wire sensors to you to monitor various muscles in the face, chest, legs, etc. -- or sometimes with a finger clip that measures the oxygen level in your system.

It can be caused by being overweight, that's VERY true, but can also be caused by your soft palate or nasal obstructions, among other things. Loud snoring (say, loud enough to be heard outside of your closed bedroom door) is a classic symptom, I've read. How it effects the body is that your system (especially your brain) is being shorted oxygen while you sleep, AND you're "waking up" enough to rob you of your deep restful sleep every time you have one of the "episodes", as most clinics call any breathing stoppage of more than about 10 seconds. You are not awake and breathing well enough to make up for that loss of oxygen, so it's a downward spiral that can effect not only your brain and other internal organs but most worrisome is the possibility of a heart attack.

The plus side? After using the CPAP machine for a week or two almost EVERYone will vouch for at least a 75% increase in energy. If you find yourself falling asleep anytime, anywhere, and/or are continually fatigued and waking UP tired, IтАЩd say get it checked. If you have this and get it treated, I can almost guarantee youтАЩll see dramatic improvementsтАж and the rattling of the walls in your room will most likely be for тАУ shall we say тАУ happier reasons than snoring?

Yes the CPAP machines can be a nuisance, but trust me on this: they're not even a whisper to your bed-mate, compared to a snore!!

If anyone would like more info via my own personal experience with this, PM me.

July 17th, 2006, 17:17
Any sleep clinics associated with hospitals or otherwise that you know of and

that accept the farang?

Sweet dreams.

</p>[/quote]

If you are budget conscious, you may also consider Bangkok Nursing Home's sleep clinic, as opposed to Bumrungrad. The clinic is pretty much the same, and the costs are quite a bit less. Ditto for the other various surgery one requires as parts of the machine start breaking down.

July 17th, 2006, 18:18
What do you mean "and that accept farang"? What medical facility anywhere in the Kingdom turns down foreign patients?

Smiles
July 17th, 2006, 19:06
Bao-Bao, up until your reply to this thread today, the last response to this old topic was made 13 Nov 2005.

This is by no means a criticism, you can respond to any old thread you want of course . . . but what kind of a 'search' did you do to find such an unusual subject? Or are you going back and reading every thread on this Board since it's inception?

If the latter, then there are many old hands here (including FBOC's) who will be getting quite nervous. :wav:

But carry on ... & cheers

And PS to mumbaighost (even further Off Topic): You cannot use HTML coding in a post unless you uncheck the "Disable HTML in this post" option located below each message pane. These little guys ~ "[i], [b],
, <u>" etc etc ~ just don't work.

http://upload4.postimage.org/630973/htmlcodes.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/630973/photo_hosting.html)

Aunty
July 17th, 2006, 19:31
Sleep apnea is almost always caused by obesity and I'm not just talking about a few extra pounds here, I'm talking fat! 50, 100, 150+lbs (30-50kgs+) overweight. As outlined above it increases the risk of a number of serious medical events, e.g., heart attack and stroke. It is often the first sign that that mountain of blubber your long suffering carcass has been hauling around is actually starting to fuck you over.

The first port of call for those who are obese and who have sleep apnea is weight loss. Given that obesity also worsens, and in some instances causes asthma in fatties, (which doesn't help with apnea) loosing weight is a very important part of managing and reducing the respiratory consequences of being a hippopotamus.

There are a couple of other important things people with sleep apnea can do to lessen their symptoms. Keep asthma (wheezing/ tight chest) under control by using the appropriate preventer. Making sure that the quality of the mattress and pillow is good and actually facilitates a good night's sleep. Ensuring that the nasal passages are kept clear. This is particularly important for those who suffer allergies like hay fever. If the nasal passages are blocked or reduced in volume because there are irritated, it forces breathing to take place through the mouth which aggravates snoring.

Smiles
July 17th, 2006, 19:44
" ... The first port of call for those who are obese and who have sleep apnea is weight loss ... "
Very much agree with Aunty.

What is not mentioned above though might be a horror scenario for some here: regular exercise (especially of the aerobic kind) will not only take pounds off, but has the divine side affect of helping one get a longer and better sleep.

Running/jogging, power walking, bicycling, rowing(!?), swimming etc etc 4-5 times a week will have you pillowed-out for a consistently restful lie down. It will also make you rather more attractive to your Thai guy and he will think very highly of you for "... to take care ... " of yourself.

So many fabulous side benefits . . . ( I could just cream myself! :bounce: )

Cheers ....

July 18th, 2006, 10:13
And PS to mumbaighost (even further Off Topic): You cannot use HTML coding in a post unless you uncheck the "Disable HTML in this post" option located below each message pane. These little guys ~ "[i], [b],
, <u>" etc etc ~ just don't work.

Oops silly me -- I left them in the quote without looking! Sorry for the ugly bits :)

July 18th, 2006, 19:40
So many fabulous side benefits . . . ( I could just cream myself! )

Cream: as in, 'hit,' or..the, 'my jeans,' kind?
And\Or does that mean Thai Sleep Clinics come\cum with, 'Happy Ending?' :idea:

BTW: if you just plain can not sleep, it helps not to eat, read or watch television in bed--And stop with the late-night snacks and alcohol--As well as drinks containing caffein and sugar. (Also helps reduce the waist\waste line.)

Better than Excederine PM:
Num, damn him, says chuk-wow helps him sleep: Afternoon nap time...in his (Own) loom.
Give it a try.
If you aren't already.

Sorry for the ugly bits :)
Did you intend to say, 'sorry for the ugly bits?'
If not, we are all well past sympathy and the form of address we prefer, please, is, 'Miss Ugly Bitch.' Unless one is married; Smiles, for instance; then it's Mrs.
Ratbag may be substituted for, or added to (As in Pearl's case.), 'Bitch' .
Thank you very much for your kind cooperation, Miss Ghost.

July 19th, 2006, 04:48
What would the kind folk here suggest would help a 23 year old Thai whose decibel level has to be heard to be believed. We cant sleep in the same room at this point. How his family endure it i`ll never know.

I have been close to strangling him several times.

bao-bao
July 19th, 2006, 05:47
I'd guess your friend isn't as - ahem - let's say "thin challenged" as many of us older farang are, so I'd be more inclined to guess nasal congestion or some form of genetic nasal passage blockage otherwise. Here in the US you can buy a rather silly-looking adhesive strip with a bit of ribbing inside called "Breathe-Right Nasal Strips". If you've seen any US football you've seen players wearing them in the games. I'd guess they'd have them in the UK, also. It's a removable strip that adheres over the nose and holds it open a bit, and does help snoring with some. If your friend is just congested you might try some sort of nasal over the counter stuff. Many also snore more loudly when sleeping on their back... you may want to try a different position (no pun intended). Best of luck!

July 19th, 2006, 12:23
What would the kind folk here suggest would help a 23 year old Thai whose decibel level has to be heard to be believed.

I looked into it (again - at Bangkok Nursing Home, but pick your favourite hospital...), and was told that there is an operation which can be recommended after going through the sleep clinic. The immediate side-effect is a sore throat for 2-5 days.

July 19th, 2006, 12:56
About the same side effect as offing a "big cock show" star...

lonelywombat
July 19th, 2006, 13:21
I'd guess your friend isn't as - ahem - let's say "thin challenged" as many of us older farang are, so I'd be more inclined to guess nasal congestion or some form of genetic nasal passage blockage otherwise. Here in the US you can buy a rather silly-looking adhesive strip with a bit of ribbing inside called "Breathe-Right Nasal Strips". If you've seen any US football you've seen players wearing them in the games. I'd guess they'd have them in the UK, also. It's a removable strip that adheres over the nose and holds it open a bit, and does help snoring with some. If your friend is just congested you might try some sort of nasal over the counter stuff. Many also snore more loudly when sleeping on their back... you may want to try a different position (no pun intended). Best of luck!

This might be a US franchise but has been very successful in Australia in under 2 years.

I personally know of a man who sounded like a boeing jet engine that was helped, I believe cured.

It has only just opened in my city.

http://www.thesnorestopclinic.com/

For those with a medical background on this forum, it will be interesting to see your opinions.

July 19th, 2006, 13:41
Sleep apnea affects lots and lots of people, and by no means are all of them obese, or even overweight. My Dad has it and he's thin as a rail.

Apart from CPAP and surgery, there is also the possibility that an oral prosthesis might help. Basically, it's like a set of retainers one wears at night which prevents your tongue and/or soft palate from blocking your air stream.

Best thing, though, is to see a doctor rather than listening to the would-be Florence Nightingales who inhabit forums such as this one, giving out medical advice through their assholes.

Aunty
July 19th, 2006, 19:02
Best thing, though, is to see a doctor rather than listening to the would-be Florence Nightingales who inhabit forums such as this one, giving out medical advice through their assholes.

And might we assume that you include yourself in that piece of advice?

bao-bao
July 19th, 2006, 22:18
boygeenyus said: "Best thing, though, is to see a doctor rather than listening to the would-be Florence Nightingales who inhabit forums such as this one, giving out medical advice through their assholes."

Naturally, a doctor is the best course of action... that's why my thoughts on the topic have been presented as suggestions or ideas only. However, having just returned from an overnight sleep test a couple of hours ago myself (and no, no "happy ending"!) I can tell you I'd rather suggest a few simple home remedies or over-the-counter things BEFORE anyone goes in for that kind of expense, or worse yet, surgery.

Very good point, though. Self-diagnosis is usually a fool's errand. Thanks for the pinch.

PS - Does medical advice through an asshole = being a smart ass? :geek:

July 22nd, 2006, 00:07
thanks guys......... some interesting ideas to say the least!