PDA

View Full Version : Best way to book

paborn
June 25th, 2018, 22:49
For years I've relied on direct contact with the hotel Dating back to the days of telex - long before email. Recently, I booked the Poseiden in Pattaya by email with a quick response from Heiko ( never been there but I've read him mentioned hear ) ; however, I'm staying three nights in Bankok to shake off jet lag a bit and see some old sites. I emailed the Tarntawan directly and have had no response for three days. Is this normal for them? Is this no longer the best way to book, should I rely on booking sites? In may day the hotel was delighted to book direct and save the commission, even offering the better rate. Has all this changed?

Manforallseasons
June 26th, 2018, 00:05
Oh no, not the Tarntawan!

paborn
June 26th, 2018, 00:09
Sorry to be dense. I can't connect the hotel to this image......... Is there a problem with the hotel? I knw that there have been some mixed reviews here but is it really that bad? I never stayed there but enjoyed the breakfast.

Manforallseasons
June 26th, 2018, 01:01
paborn......go to the board's search button and enter "Tarntawan".......more info than you will want or need!

paborn
June 26th, 2018, 02:04
Oh, I did. The opinions are widely if not wildly different. I choose it bacause (1) they had a good breakfast, (2) very close to all action and I'll only be there for three nights so I'm no too fussy. I have learned to ask nothing on this board without thorough searches. My concern was there not getting back to me, nothing covered that and I grew concerned that it might indicater a very real decline. So, I was looking for anything new, someone might have booked recently. It's really a question of my mobility so: location, location ........... but, if anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it.

colmx
June 26th, 2018, 02:30
. It's really a question of my mobility so: location, location ........... but, if anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it.
Can't beat the Raya Surawong for location, its literally 10 meters from Soi Twilight... and its rooms and AC are at least 20 years newer than those of the Tarntawan
Note that there are 4 steps at the front of the building, so if they are a problem maybe better to avoid

Josan
June 26th, 2018, 03:44
I have not had any problem with replies from the Tarntawan and I am in and out of there 7 to 8 times during the year. Some times there is an extra day over the weekend.

paborn
June 26th, 2018, 04:40
I have not had any problem with replies from the Tarntawan and I am in and out of there 7 to 8 times during the year. Some times there is an extra day over the weekend.

Hi Josan, I'll give it another day. Meanwhile I will look into the Raya ( must be new, I never heard of it)

colmx
June 26th, 2018, 05:19
Hi Josan, I'll give it another day. Meanwhile I will look into the Raya ( must be new, I never heard of it)
The Raya is open around 4 years ago now
Some points:
Reception is on 5th floor, rooms are on floors 5-8, if it is important that your guests are "checked in" then this may not be the place for you as they are quite easy going with guests (although you do need a key card to operate the lift)
It gets quite a lot of straight Japanese customers, mostly golf tourists (due to Soi Thaniya and its girly bars golf shops being nearby...) it also get a lot of Chinese gay customers

I have never woken on time for Breakfast but I have heard its quite rudimentary
On the other hand you could always cross the street to Surawong coffee shop if Breakfast is that important

paborn
June 26th, 2018, 05:41
Yes, I've researching and it opened in 2014, I've only been in Pattaya since before it was built. Looks like it's next to the big leather boot/shoe shop. I used to go to a Tailor in about that spot. It will be very interesting to see all the changes. Sadly, yes I do want breakfast and coffee - it reinforces my humanty. I'll consider it as I wait for the Tarntawan.

gerefan2
June 26th, 2018, 12:28
I emailed the Tarntawan directly and have had no response for three days. Is this normal for them? Is this no longer the best way to book, should I rely on booking sites? In may day the hotel was delighted to book direct and save the commission, even offering the better rate. Has all this changed?

The Tarntawan is under new management so maybe things have changed. Also, I believe Hotels are not allowed to undercut booking sites. Maybe this is why you haven't heard.

I think you are in the UK and, if so, maybe you could do the same as I do which is to book through Expedia.co.uk I have used them many times and their rates are always the best I can find. It also has has the advantage of paying immediately in GBP from your UK bank account.

Asia Traveler
June 26th, 2018, 14:20
What email are you using? There was a lot of disruptive things done by the new manager after the sale. He is now gone.
Here is the email I use and have no problems with response. If you use the old email address it has been taken (just like the old hotel sign) and moved to the Tartawan Apartments on the corner.

rsvn@tarntawansurawong.com

I book with hotels.com but in the past they have offered discounts for long stay direct bookings.

Oliver2
June 26th, 2018, 14:35
The relationship between hotels and booking sites is complicated. I prefer direct booking with some- Tarntawan, Ambiance and Agate- while I use Agoda for ones I don't know in other parts of Thailand and Asia. The hotels can usually match or nearly match Agoda prices for example and, of course, find rooms when booking companies claim particular categories of rooms are sold -out. It is worth developing a personal relationship as a regular customer. At the same time, I agree that the immediate response and efficiency of the booking companies is hard to beat.
I've found Tarntawan slower to respond on occasions since it changed its email address. If I don't get a reply within twenty-four hours, I re-send my email..One of the unfortunate effects of the change of management has been what appears to be reduced staffing levels. Perhaps this explains even if it doesn't excuse it.

a447
June 26th, 2018, 17:00
I just booked 5 minutes ago.

Their website was offering 2080 baht per night (breakfast not included) but I booked on Expedia for around 1500 baht.

Oliver2
June 26th, 2018, 17:17
There is another consideration here. The prices offered by Expedia et al are sensitive to High/Low season exigencies. When I book for the three hotels I mentioned, I am getting the same price for different times of the year. I appreciate that I'm fortunate in being able to plan for two trips to Thailand at a time....but nevertheless, the point I made about establishing a relationship pertains.
For the record, I'm paying 2100 for rooms (including breakfast) in October and then in January. It may be that, over the two visits and proposed visits later in 2019 , I'm getting the better deal.

gerefan2
June 26th, 2018, 21:24
I just booked 5 minutes ago.

Their website was offering 2080 baht per night (breakfast not included) but I booked on Expedia for around 1500 baht.

Another vote here for Expedia...

paborn
June 26th, 2018, 21:26
Thanks! They , finally, got back to me. 2,280 Bhat includes breakfast for January 10. Acceptable.

Josan
June 27th, 2018, 04:02
Enjoy!

Smiles
June 27th, 2018, 06:18
Enjoy!Giving a "Like" thingmajing to a one single word post (though granted you, it IS two syllables at least) is a bit over the top I would say? Kind of like giving one to Trump ... who -- as we all know -- is 100% illiterate. It tends to cheapen "Likes".
American, right?
Nothing against Josan.

frequent
June 27th, 2018, 07:09
Kind of like giving one to Trump ... who -- as we all know -- is 100% illiterate. It tends to cheapen "Likes".You mean it's like hyperbole which renders a statement meaningless?

paborn
June 27th, 2018, 08:10
Giving a "Like" thingmajing to a one single word post (though granted you, it IS two syllables at least) is a bit over the top I would say? Kind of like giving one to Trump ... who -- as we all know -- is 100% illiterate. It tends to cheapen "Likes".
American, right?
Nothing against Josan.

sometimes there is nothing that can be said to you and remain polite. But then you might be unfamiliar with the convention of signifying a thank you when receiving good wishes.

frequent
June 27th, 2018, 08:17
But then you might be unfamiliar with the convention of signifying a thank you when receiving good wishes.I put that in the same category as the waiter who demands "Enjoy!" when placing my food in front of me on the table or - the greatest cardinal sin of all - someone in a service industry whose response is "Not a problem"; it immediately raises the question "Oh, there could be problems?"

Other things that annoy me since we're on the subject are people who ask a waiter "Can I have ...?" If it's on the menu, you can have it. All you say is "I'll have ..."

arsenal
June 27th, 2018, 08:45
Frequent wrote.
"Other things that annoy me since we're on the subject are" ....

How long have you got. Everything it seems.

paborn
June 27th, 2018, 19:38
I put that in the same category as the waiter who demands "Enjoy!" when placing my food in front of me on the table or - the greatest cardinal sin of all - someone in a service industry whose response is "Not a problem"; it immediately raises the question "Oh, there could be problems?"

Other things that annoy me since we're on the subject are people who ask a waiter "Can I have ...?" If it's on the menu, you can have it. All you say is "I'll have ..."

Thank you. Now I understand you better; you live a horrid existence. Poor you.

gerefan2
June 27th, 2018, 20:33

Or if American... "Gimme". Now that really grates with me.

paborn
June 27th, 2018, 21:37
Or if American... "Gimme". Now that really grates with me.

But why? It's just American slang. All nations have a colloquial voice. I recall several films set in Scotland where I had to turn on subtitles. While I never had to =resort to that with films set in other English speaking countires the fact remains that there are slag expressiosn that I miss for every nation. However, it hardly grates on me, I just wish I knew more.

gerefan2
June 27th, 2018, 23:57
But why?

It sound crass, rude and impatient. I have never heard it said with the word please either.

All Ive heard is "Give me a Budwiser".

paborn
June 28th, 2018, 01:59
fair enough.