PDA

View Full Version : Same sex soapies in Thailand

frequent
June 16th, 2018, 15:51
In recent years the genre known as 'boys' love' has spread fast across South-East Asia and is reaching cult status in some parts of the West, despite the anxieties of conservative parts of Thai society. "I think male-male romance or male-male homoerotic relations has now become a new normal in Thai pop culture. This seems to be unthinkable 10 years ago," says Thai political scientist Poowin Bunyavejchewin. He says the steady stream of boys' love television shows and feature films are triggering fundamental changes in Thai society.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-16/boys-love-same-sex-dramas-in-thailand/9874766

scottish-guy
June 16th, 2018, 18:50
There will never be space for "boys love" dramas on UK TV - between cookery programmes, benefits cheats programmes, Rogue tenants & landlords programmes, various "Let's laugh at inadequate poor people" programmes, DIY programmes, and interminable re-runs of Dads Army, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave, and Fools and Horses.

Which is good news for me at least - because although I watch none of the above, I'm almost certain that "Boys love" dramas would make me puke.

bkkguy
June 17th, 2018, 00:29
from the linked article:

the film's (Love of Siam) success sent an emphatic message to entertainment media companies: there was money to be made in same-sex romance.

The soapies are not promoted as queer shows. In fact, the target market is primarily young women

so I was going to suggest the moderators move this to the "Everything Else" forum but then there were the more relevant bits about tolerance rather than acceptance in Thai society and parents thinking "good girls and boys" don't watch such programs but then the final paragraphs somewhat spoil that dose of reality with unsupported wishful thinking that everything is changing very quickly in Thai society!

still if we can get some controversial replies we might just get it hidden way and forgotten in the Holding Room

bkkguy

a447
June 17th, 2018, 00:43
"Controversial" comments are not moved into the Holding Room.

And the Holding Room is not "hidden" from members.

Whether or not they wish to forget the topic and/or no longer contribute to the thread is entirely up to them.

Sometimes the thread in the Holding Room dies a natural death. I think that's what Smiles was alluding to in a recent comment in one of the threads there.

Either that, or he was simply telling us that his friend called Peter had popped out for a while.

goji
June 17th, 2018, 04:30
There will never be space for "boys love" dramas on UK TV - between cookery programmes, benefits cheats programmes, Rogue tenants & landlords programmes, various "Let's laugh at inadequate poor people" programmes, DIY programmes, and interminable re-runs of Dads Army, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave, and Fools and Horses.

Which is good news for me at least - because although I watch none of the above, I'm almost certain that "Boys love" dramas would make me puke.

You are sadly right, although I watch none of this crap. My TV gets switched on about twice a week these days, which I think is about right given the standard of material.
Also, has comedy died out ? Is there anything to compare with Morcombe & Wise, Lenny Henry, Jasper Carrot etc. ?

frequent
June 17th, 2018, 11:36
Which is good news for me at least - because although I watch none of the above, I'm almost certain that "Boys love" dramas would make me puke.You should try the "gay" genre on Netflix - very puke-making. I watched "The 10 Year Plan" recently - the most god-awful sentimental American tosh, although a couple of great bodies early on

scottish-guy
June 17th, 2018, 17:15
..Is there anything to compare with Morcombe & Wise, Lenny Henry, Jasper Carrot etc. ?

Imagine putting Morecambe & Wise into the same category as those third-rate others.

I would lump Jasper Carrot in with Freddie "Parrot-Face" Davies, Bernie Clifton, Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson.

Lenny Henry slightly above them but not by much

:cool:

Nirish guy
June 17th, 2018, 17:24
Sorry I cant let you sit there disparaging poor Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson - from a Country who gave us The Krankies ffs ! :)

* ps I STILL cant work out if their self confessed tales of sex swap parties, orgies and dogging were all a piss take or not - scary thought if not !?

snotface
June 17th, 2018, 18:54
Well, well, another opportunity to do a bit of name-dropping today (for the first, see the 'A very English scandal' thread). One time in the 1990s, when I was working as a London mini cab driver, I had to take Frank Carson from Wimbledon to Croydon where he had a gig to do. He was very friendly and chatty and I soon had the impression that he had me down as an educated guy from a well-to-do background. I decided to play up to this and said at one point, 'My father was a conductor, you know.' 'Oh really, which orchestra?' he said, duly impressed. 'Yes,' I continued, 'he was a conductor on the 76 bus from the Edgware Road.' He laughed at that and I felt quite chuffed to have put one over him. I didn't have the nerve to add, 'It's the way I tell 'em!' Anyway, to conclude the story, I got hopelessly lost in Croydon (dreadful place!) and it was getting closer and closer to 8pm when his gig was due to start. He never showed the slightest sign of irritation and thanked me and tipped me when we finally reached the club with about two minutes to spare. A perfect gentleman in my experience.

Nirish guy
June 17th, 2018, 19:31
That’s a nice story to hear when in this day and age it seems it’s usually more the exact opposite reaction you get from “celebrities”

scottish-guy
June 17th, 2018, 19:45
Sorry I cant let you sit there disparaging poor Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson - from a Country who gave us The Krankies ffs ! :) ...I STILL cant work out if their self confessed tales of sex swap parties, orgies and dogging were all a piss take or not - scary thought if not !?

If you're expecting me to defend The Krankies you're going to be disappointed - thankfully there's nothing "Scottish" about their act other than their own accents and nationality.

I find people like Harry Lauder far more offensive in presenting a totally inaccurate caricature of my Nation - and I'd suggest Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson fall into the same category, both having made a good living out of 'thick Irish' jokes - and let's not forget that Lenny Henry started out by taking the piss out of black people - and I read recently that he is so ashamed of that he can't watch re-runs of his early comedy act.

As for the Swinging Krankies (sounds like a circus act) - I understand it's all very accurate and that's why they decided to 'out themselves' in advance of a newspaper expose.

I also understand that the Donald and Jacqueline swinger characters in "Benidorm" are based on The Krankies.

Captain Swing
June 19th, 2018, 09:18
I never heard of any of these people, but that's OK. Whatever happened with our own homegrown soap opera, most recently featured on the Everything forum as "Culture Shock." No recent installments? International incidents? Miracle cures? Long lost twin brothers with amnesia?

pennyboy
June 19th, 2018, 15:21
I had the pleasure of meeting Frank Carson in a bar while on a golfing holiday in Spain. He was hilarious and I don't recall many of his jokes being based on thick Irishmen. As for wee Jimmy Krankie as well as performing, dogging and swapping she also doubles as Scotland's First Minister.

arsenal
June 19th, 2018, 15:46
Yes. Hard to tell which is which.

scottish-guy
June 20th, 2018, 14:22
I had the pleasure of meeting Frank Carson in a bar while on a golfing holiday in Spain. He was hilarious and I don't recall many of his jokes being based on thick Irishmen. As for wee Jimmy Krankie as well as performing, dogging and swapping she also doubles as Scotland's First Minister.

Firstly, Frank Carson's entire early career was based on "thick Irish" jokes - "Murphy" being the first word in half of them. That's not to say he wasn't a funny and a generous person but it happens to be true and anybody who recalls his early appearances on "The Comedians" TV show (where he made his name) will know that.

Your second remark was just crap frankly

frequent
June 20th, 2018, 14:25
Your second remark was just crap franklyI did wonder about the reference to dogging (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogging_(sexual_slang))

GWMinUS
June 28th, 2018, 05:06
MY this thread certainly wander off from Thailand and Boy Love TV Series...

frequent
June 28th, 2018, 05:09
MY this thread certainly wander off from Thailand and Boy Love TV Series...I suggest you complain to francois. He's rather anal about that sort of thing

kittyboy
June 28th, 2018, 11:52
Cute thai guys on tv swapping oral DNA samples. kiss kiss. Yum. I am all for it.
It normalized gay love, gay sex, etc.

kittyboy
June 28th, 2018, 17:17
Cute thai guys on tv swapping oral DNA samples. kiss kiss. Yum. I am all for it.
It normalized gay love, gay sex, etc.
As a follow-up...my hope is that the thai soaps will encourage more same sex exploration among cute thai guys. And I am willing to offer myself up to help guys explore their expanding sexual boundaries.
Ok. The likelihood of that happening is approaching trivial....but as the pool of guys exploring sexuality expands I am guessing their are a few who would like to experience SDL - sweet daddy living.

kittyboy
June 28th, 2018, 17:18
As a follow-up...my hope is that the thai soaps will encourage more same sex exploration among cute thai guys. And I am willing to offer myself up to help guys explore their expanding sexual boundaries.
Ok. The likelihood of that happening is approaching trivial....but as the pool of guys exploring sexuality expands I am guessing their are a few who would like to experience SDL - sweet daddy living.
Stupid autocorrect. That should read sweet daddy loving

bkkguy
June 28th, 2018, 20:42
That should read sweet daddy loving

living is probably more likely - there is apparently (according to my friend who uses such web sites, which I myself would never admit^H^H^H^H^Hsink to using) a guy on Gay Romeo with the tagline "Become my sugar daddy and I will moan your name"

bkkguy

francois
July 1st, 2018, 02:58
I suggest you complain to francois. He's rather anal about that sort of thing

Please, please, put me on Ignore. :devilsh:

frequent
July 1st, 2018, 07:56
Please, please, put me on Ignore. :devilsh:Where's the fun in that?

kittyboy
July 7th, 2018, 10:34
living is probably more likely - there is apparently (according to my friend who uses such web sites, which I myself would never admit^H^H^H^H^Hsink to using) a guy on Gay Romeo with the tagline "Become my sugar daddy and I will moan your name"

bkkguy

Send me that guys profile... he might be my next husband.

At present I am in Bkk. The noodle shop around the corner plays thai soap opera. The ladies in the shop are mesmerized.
I am mesmerized by the younger guys on the shows. Thai men 18-30 on the soaps are beautiful.

arsenal
July 7th, 2018, 14:24
Sweet Daddy Living tends to rely on the daddy figure having a certain maturity of mind so......

kittyboy
July 7th, 2018, 14:29
Sweet Daddy Living tends to rely on the daddy figure having a certain maturity of mind so......

Ah..so if you are posting in response to my post at least try to be coherent.

arsenal
July 7th, 2018, 14:36
I didn't mean you specifically. Is that coherent enough?

kittyboy
July 7th, 2018, 14:39
I didn't mean you specifically. Is that coherent enough?

You original post still stands as the window to an incoherent mind.

arsenal
July 7th, 2018, 14:46
I can't argue with that. You're spending a lot of time arguing with said mind.

kittyboy
July 7th, 2018, 15:41
I can't argue with that. You're spending a lot of time arguing with said mind.

One can not argue with incoherence.

kittyboy
July 7th, 2018, 15:43
One can not argue with incoherence.

During my forays into the local noodle shop I have not seen a same sex soap. Too bad. I would order extra and eat slow in hopes of seeing a hot kissing scene.

paborn
July 9th, 2018, 20:47
Kittyboy,
I'm having a slow day so I just read through this post several times trying to determine your actual complaint. As far as I can find Arsenal was referring to the sinple fact that "Daddy" implies one older and more mature than the "son" or kept "boy" It seems rather plain and simple to me; have I missed your issue with "incoherence"? Just what ae you talking about?