PDA

View Full Version : I think I know Jomtien -but I don't!

poshglasgow
June 14th, 2018, 03:07
Dearly beloved Brethren...

I am about to embark on what will be my thirtieth visit to Pattya in twenty-five years.

Last Christmas (George Michael?), I took the plunge and stayed for the first time in Jomtien, after years of residing in Boystown and the Soi Day-Night area. I enjoyed staying in Jomtien so much last December that I have decided to visit again imminently - within days - having just spotted a return non-stop flight from LHR to BKK with Thai for £530. Isn't the quest for good value tickets like fishing? You sit staring at the screen and wait. You cast the net and its the same old inflated prices or lengthy stopovers mid-way, and then BANG, you net one of these sudden gems that appears on the airline's main site rather than on the site of a broker. I can recall paying that kind of money over twenty years ago with Thai. Mind you, last Autumn Thai were quoting over £1,000 for the same flight for the Christmas period. The Christmas period? Why does that dreadful joke come to mind? Why does Boots the Chemist adorn all of their tampons with holly and mistletoe in December? When shoppers complained a spokesman was heard to say, "Calm down, dear, it's just for the Christmas period"!

A few questions, if I may, for those aficionados of Jomtien: in other words, those who know the ins and outs (no double entendre intended). The lay of the land?

1. I have moved away from the traditional English breakfast in favour of fresh croissants (continental breakfast) and good coffee. Any recommendations please within the vicinity of Jomtien Complex?
2. I am a fan of the show at The Venue, so I will have a couple of beers before and after. Any recommendations re: reasonably priced beer bars, with or without host company, where customers are less likely to be ripped off by over-priced beers?
3. Always happy to hear of other members' contemporary recommendations in terms of venues for evening meals in Jomtien.
4. Finally, I am going to use my in-phone apps (romeo, hornet and grindr) to seek some company when I don't appear in Toy Boys, Nice Boys or Cupidol. Is there an app that is favoured more than others in Pattaya? It's my first attempt at fishing using apps! I wonder what I'll catch? (Yes, yes, I know what's coming)!

Here endeth the lesson!

Nirish guy
June 14th, 2018, 03:17
I think you'll find that it won't be so much fishing that you'll be doing as swimming to keep up as I'm sure your phone will be binging like a boots till at the Christmas period ( ha I laughed at that joke :-)

Meanwhile it seems your likes are similar to my own so I look forward to reading the suggestions too.

paborn
June 14th, 2018, 03:33
What hotel did you use in Jomptien? I love Toy Boys as well,, when you were there was it a hassle to go there when your hotel was in Jomptien; especially bringing back a guest?

riverdee
June 14th, 2018, 03:48
I look forward to more replies,sorry I am so shy guys

poshglasgow
June 14th, 2018, 03:48
What hotel did you use in Jomptien? I love Toy Boys as well,, when you were there was it a hassle to go there when your hotel was in Jomptien; especially bringing back a guest?

I found that as I tuned into the Cambodian boys who dominate the Complex, the need to visit Boystown became less pressing as there were so many very attractive guys working in Jomtien. My regular masseur, whom I have known for some years, from Copa bar, would visit me in Jomtien when I called him from the hotel. I didn't take anyone from BT or Sunee to Jomtien, as there was so much choice, and a most vibrant party atmosphere, in Jomtien.

poshglasgow
June 14th, 2018, 04:03
I found that as I tuned into the Cambodian boys who dominate the Complex, the need to visit Boystown became less pressing as there were so many very attractive guys working in Jomtien. My regular masseur, whom I have known for some years, from Copa bar, would visit me in Jomtien when I called him from the hotel. I didn't take anyone from BT or Sunee to Jomtien, as there was so much choice, and a most vibrant party atmosphere, in Jomtien.

Having said all that, I always make a point of visiting Sunee to re-acquaint myself with the ghosts of Christmas past and to say hi to Pai and her son, Joy, at the green chairs bar (Sunee Plaza Bar). From there it's off to BT to say hello to Nana at Panorama and Max at Serene Bar next door.

By the way, Paborn, I understand that some of the hotels and go-go bars in the area offer short-time rooms if someone takes your fancy and there's am overwhelming desire to swap bodily fluids sooner rather than later.

Have any members eaten recently in the Nam Sing Chinese Restaurant on Second Street? Last December it was not as good. It was always a favourite of mine. I hope it has picked up.

arsenal
June 14th, 2018, 06:10
Great stuff Poshglasgow. I love the idea of an impulse trip to Pattaya. An alignment of low airfares and high libido. Jomtien is indeed full of boys and it's a rare night where they don't have a party somewhere down there. Have a great time.

latintopxxx
June 14th, 2018, 07:09
...what a nice topic and civil replies...no bitching to date...how very refreshing

paborn
June 14th, 2018, 07:58
Having said all that, I always make a point of visiting Sunee to re-acquaint myself with the ghosts of Christmas past and to say hi to Pai and her son, Joy, at the green chairs bar (Sunee Plaza Bar). From there it's off to BT to say hello to Nana at Panorama and Max at Serene Bar next door.

By the way, Paborn, I understand that some of the hotels and go-go bars in the area offer short-time rooms if someone takes your fancy and there's am overwhelming desire to swap bodily fluids sooner rather than later.

Have any members eaten recently in the Nam Sing Chinese Restaurant on Second Street? Last December it was not as good. It was always a favourite of mine. I hope it has picked up.

Thanks! Good idea. But, which hotel would you use in Jomtien? I'm wavering between the Venure and the Agate.

arsenal
June 14th, 2018, 08:00
Important. Whichever you choose make sure you get a room facing away from the soi. Some of those parties go on very late and are very loud.

snotface
June 14th, 2018, 10:36
In answer to the OP's questions:
1) Poseidon does a decent continental breakfast; good coffee in an area not famous for good coffee.
2) I think all the bars near the Venue are much of a muchness when it comes to drink prices.
3) My favourite Jomtien restaurants include Toto (good thin crust pizzas), Pan Pan (great minestrone and pasta), Indian by Nature (good Indian food in classy surroundings), Tinnies (pie and mash prepared by a friendly Australian who knows his stuff), Maggs (good English pub-style grub - a bit further away down Thepprasit but worth the hike), Poseidon (good spicy tomato soup and tender steaks), Dick's Cafe (reliable longstanding place for Thai food and international snacks). Yupins in the main gay soi has its loyal fans but it's not somewhere I eat after some disappointing meals.
4) Gay Romeo is good for the Pattaya area.

Oliver2
June 14th, 2018, 10:39
Any recommendations for Thai food? we liked Dick's Cafe but the other places we tried were rather ordinary.

Up2U
June 14th, 2018, 12:11
1) Poseidon does a decent continental breakfast; good coffee in an area not famous for good coffee.
2) I think all the bars near the Venue are much of a muchness when it comes to drink prices.
3) My favourite Jomtien restaurants include Toto (good thin crust pizzas), Pan Pan (great minestrone and pasta), Indian by Nature (good Indian food in classy surroundings), Tinnies (pie and mash prepared by a friendly Australian who knows his stuff), Maggs (good English pub-style grub - a bit further away down Thepprasit but worth the hike), Poseidon (good spicy tomato soup and tender steaks), Dick's Cafe (reliable longstanding place for Thai food and international snacks). Yupins in the main gay soi has its loyal fans but it's not somewhere I eat after some disappointing meals.

Additionally, for breakfast, there is Big Kahuna, Pirate's Bay, Continental Bakery, Sandbar. For dinner there is Nathan's and across the street a new place featuring Venezuelan cuisine called Arepas(recommended!).

poshglasgow
June 15th, 2018, 04:17
Great stuff Poshglasgow. I love the idea of an impulse trip to Pattaya. An alignment of low airfares and high libido. Jomtien is indeed full of boys and it's a rare night where they don't have a party somewhere down there. Have a great time.

Thanks Arsenal.

poshglasgow
June 15th, 2018, 04:30
Thanks! Good idea. But, which hotel would you use in Jomtien? I'm wavering between the Venure and the Agate.

Both have their advantages. The great thing about the Venue is that if you fancy one of the dancers all you have to do is sweet talk him after the show and invite him upstairs to your room. Now, as to whether he accepts or not is another matter and I'm not sure on the hotel's policy in respect of this. I have never taken a show boy to my room at the Venue but I have shared a drink or two with some of them after the show at Donna's bar. I am also a great fan of the @home bar next door to The Venue. it is run by a fellow Scotsman and he has a crew of good-looking Cambodian waiters!

Both hotels,though, (and don't forget Zing) have strengths and weaknesses. The Venue cabaret at 21:00 hrs is a huge plus, in my opinion.

poshglasgow
June 15th, 2018, 04:39

Great, many thanks Snotface. This is most helpful.

p.s. I still get terribly embarrassed typing 'Snotface'! I always feel that, in doing so, I am slipping a naughty note, in the days when I was an eight-year-old, to my classmate while focussed on the alarming stream of 'lava' escaping from the French teacher's left nostril.

poshglasgow
June 15th, 2018, 04:43
Any recommendations for Thai food? we liked Dick's Cafe but the other places we tried were rather ordinary.

Thanks Oliver 2, I have heard of Dick's Cafe mentioned before. I will take a look when I'm in Jomtien next week.

paborn
June 15th, 2018, 04:43
I've been convinced to stay in Jomtien rather than boys town next trip. Now, if I can make up my mind whether to use the Agate of the Venue!!!!!

poshglasgow
June 15th, 2018, 04:51
Additionally, for breakfast, there is Big Kahuna, Pirate's Bay, Continental Bakery, Sandbar. For dinner there is Nathan's and across the street a new place featuring Venezuelan cuisine called Arepas(recommended!).

Many thanks Up2U, I will certainly take a look.

I seem to recall that when I was in Jomtien in December I came across a Farang-owned business that focussed strongly on pies and they looked excellent. I'm sure they tasted good too, but I had just had breakfast before walking into the establishment for a coffee. Interesting to note that there were Thais and Farang buying pies.

"I'm sorry, did you just say that snake and pygmy is the pie of the day?"
"No, you silly sod, I said steak and kidney!"

Up2U
June 15th, 2018, 07:20
Many thanks Up2U, I will certainly take a look.

I seem to recall that when I was in Jomtien in December I came across a Farang-owned business that focussed strongly on pies and they looked excellent. I'm sure they tasted good too, but I had just had breakfast before walking into the establishment for a coffee. Interesting to note that there were Thais and Farang buying pies.

"I'm sorry, did you just say that snake and pygmy is the pie of the day?"
"No, you silly sod, I said steak and kidney!"
There are so many places in Jomtien now and you are right, the place is called Tinnie's Pies and it's on the corner by Dicks Cafe. They are Australian meat pies and highly recommended!

frequent
June 15th, 2018, 07:24
Do they sell "Nobbie's Nuts" - Australian advertising slogan "Nibble Nobbie's Nuts"?

Andaman!
June 15th, 2018, 13:24
There are so many places in Jomtien now and you are right, the place is called Tinnie's Pies and it's on the corner by Dicks Cafe. They are Australian meat pies and highly recommended!

My experience is that it would be difficult to highly recommend an Australian meat pie. The country seems to be obsessed with eating crap minced beef in a basic pastry case smothered with tomato ketchup presumably in an attempt to mask the flavour of the cheap fatty mince. I have never understood how a country can be so in awe of such a rubbish and unhealthy product. So inferior to a proper Steak’n’Kidney or a decent Cornish Pasty.

frequent
June 15th, 2018, 14:11
My experience is that it would be difficult to highly recommend an Australian meat pie. The country seems to be obsessed with eating crap minced beef in a basic pastry case smothered with tomato ketchup presumably in an attempt to mask the flavour of the cheap fatty mince. I have never understood how a country can be so in awe of such a rubbish and unhealthy product. So inferior to a proper Steak’n’Kidney or a decent Cornish Pasty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_pie_(Australia_and_New_Zealand)

snotface
June 15th, 2018, 18:03
My experience is that it would be difficult to highly recommend an Australian meat pie. The country seems to be obsessed with eating crap minced beef in a basic pastry case smothered with tomato ketchup presumably in an attempt to mask the flavour of the cheap fatty mince. I have never understood how a country can be so in awe of such a rubbish and unhealthy product. So inferior to a proper Steak’n’Kidney or a decent Cornish Pasty.

It might be an idea to try the meat pies in question before attempting to disparage them by means of a sweeping generalisation.

a447
June 15th, 2018, 18:25
There are three kinds of Aussie meat pies - the ones you buy in the pie shop like the one in Jomtien, the ones you buy at the supermarket and the ones you make yourself.

They are like chalk and cheese. Best stay away from the ones in the supermarket.

francois
June 15th, 2018, 22:56
In Jomtien, try Toto's,an Italian restaurant. Their lasagna is superb according to a source. Located at entrance to Jomtien Plaza.

https://www.facebook.com/TotoRestaurantPattaya/

scottish-guy
June 16th, 2018, 01:08
Is that the lasagne made with noodles?

Nirish guy
June 16th, 2018, 03:48
I just hope not in a microwave ? But hey what good quality eatery would ever DREAM of going that eh ! :-)

* To be fair probably more that we’d all like to find out about or be made aware of perhaps these days.

riverdee
June 16th, 2018, 05:11
am staying at Ganymede again 3rd visit do like it love the jomtien area,christ couldn't remember new name,sorry guys am staying at zing resort and spa for third time and love it

riverdee
June 16th, 2018, 05:15
love sunnee too hope the hell it continues

dorayme
June 16th, 2018, 07:11
For croissants you might try: www.labaguettepattaya.com. Not far from Jomtien going toward South Pattaya.

Up2U
June 16th, 2018, 07:40
For croissants you might try: www.labaguettepattaya.com. Not far from Jomtien going toward South Pattaya.
..... Not croissants, but the Wooden Box next door is inexpensive and excellent!

poshglasgow
June 16th, 2018, 22:47

Many thanks for the recommendation!

AsDaRa
June 16th, 2018, 23:24
I understand when you live as an expat in Thailand you want to eat sometimes non-Thai food. But when I am on holiday here I eat only Thai. I am surprised that the many, almost all, restaurant tips here are for non-Thai food. Thai food is delicious. Back home you can eat your lasagna or steak again.

I would love to read about good Thai restaurants preferably having a a Thai chef. I still think it feels more authentic Thai when a Thai makes it then when the Pad Thai or Pad Krapow Gai is made by say a Dutch chef. I would welcome such recommendations.

bkkguy
June 16th, 2018, 23:56
I still think it feels more authentic Thai when a Thai makes it then when the Pad Thai or Pad Krapow Gai is made by say a Dutch chef.

it tends to be the opposite problem here - all too often though the western restaurant is fronted by a falung it is Khun Lek in the kitchen trying to reproduce the secret family recipe for authentic fettuccine alfredo or bœuf bourguignon or for that matter even basic scrambled eggs and bacon!

though often for both Thai and western food it also comes down to the quality and freshness of ingredients the restaurant owner is willing to stretch to

bkkguy

Newbie99
June 20th, 2018, 15:17
I always stay at Poseidon. They generally give me a room upgrade, so I can't complain.
In the evening I go cruising for Cambodian boys, who allegedly don't exist, per some other board member.

Manforallseasons
June 20th, 2018, 17:00
I would love to read about good Thai restaurants preferably having a a Thai chef. I still think it feels more authentic Thai when a Thai makes it then when the Pad Thai or Pad Krapow Gai is made by say a Dutch chef. I would welcome such recommendations.
Huh? Are you sure you have been to Thailand? I have lived here for 15+ years and have never seen anyone but a Thai cooking in a Thai restaurant and come ro think of it have only seen Thais cooking western food in Italian, German, etc. restaurants, check your passport to see if you actually have a Thai immigration stamp in it! :rolleyes:

frequent
June 20th, 2018, 17:28
Huh? Are you sure you have been to Thailand? I have lived here for 15+ years and have never seen anyone but a Thai cooking in a Thai restaurant and come ro think of it have only seen Thais cooking western food in Italian, German, etc. restaurants, check your passport to see if you actually have a Thai immigration stamp in it! :rolleyes:That may be true of Pattaya but it’s certainly not true of Bangkok. Telephone Pub had a westerner cook for several years and that’s just one example

AsDaRa
June 20th, 2018, 20:38
Huh? Are you sure you have been to Thailand? I have lived here for 15+ years and have never seen anyone but a Thai cooking in a Thai restaurant and come ro think of it have only seen Thais cooking western food in Italian, German, etc. restaurants, check your passport to see if you actually have a Thai immigration stamp in it! :rolleyes:

Poseidon has a Dutch chef. And I never see the cook when I am in a restaurant. If you know that many businesses are partly foreign owned I wouldn’t be surprised in some kitchens an expat is doing the cooking.

paborn
June 20th, 2018, 21:56
Thailand is the size of France. A few anecdotal examples of foreign cooks does not change the inevitability that the vast majority of cooks, in country, must be Thai.

AsDaRa
June 20th, 2018, 22:09
Thailand is the size of France. A few anecdotal examples of foreign cooks does not change the inevitability that the vast majority of cooks, in country, must be Thai.

True. But does this also go for the extremely touristy Pattaya where many bars and restaurants are foreign run?
If you buy your food from a food car where you can see the cook you can be sure. Pattaya also has some small eating stalls clearly run by Thai. But when you eat in a hotel or restaurant here, I think you just can’t be sure. You can be sure in 99% of Thailand, but a place like Pattaya gives me doubt.

paborn
June 20th, 2018, 23:55
You stay at the Poseiden, the chef is Dutch ( probably the rest of the kitchen staff is Thai ) , is the food good? Have you had Thai dishes that were not good?

frequent
June 21st, 2018, 06:40
Thailand is the size of France. A few anecdotal examples of foreign cooks does not change the inevitability that the vast majority of cooks, in country, must be Thai.Of course they are. But MFAS stated that he had never seen anyone but a Thai cooking, and challenged AsDaRa as never having been in Thailand

paborn
June 21st, 2018, 07:38
Right, bit of a strech indeed.

Up2U
June 21st, 2018, 08:18
The only farangs I have seen cooking were owned by farangs themselves. Very, very few. A few examples were the old Blue Olive (he later died), Maggs, Poseidon, old Pastrami on Rye, Rich Man Poor Man, and Fellini's.

frequent
June 21st, 2018, 08:47
The only farangs I have seen cooking were owned by farangs themselves. Did they baste themselves as well, or was it more of a grilling?

Andaman!
June 21st, 2018, 13:05
Did they baste themselves as well, or was it more of a grilling?

More likely a spit-roasting...........

Dimsumbear
July 17th, 2018, 02:21
Living in Hong Kong and overpriced everything all these years, Thailand remains the best kept secret for authentic Western food (thanks to the many sexy ladies/boys/ladyboys to die or least relocating and opening a shop for).

I haven’t been to Pattaya for almost 10 years but the laidback lifestyle can be remembered vividly. Presuming bar-hopping Sunee Plaza or Boystown every night, is it better to stay there and take the baht bus to the beach in daytime? Or the Cambodia boys in Jomtien would be more than sufficient? Is there a common theme of the Combodia boys anyway? More feminine and skinny in generally or a variety like all-you-can-eat buffet tables? Any inputs would be much appreciated

dorayme
July 17th, 2018, 12:47
For coffee and croissants you might try La Baguette. It is almost to the traffic light going to Buddha Hill. Not a bad walk from Jomtien.
La Baguette - The French Bakery
www.labaguettepattaya.com/
La Baguette @Pratumnak Hill Jomtien. 480/47 Moo 12 Thappraya Road Pattaya City Banglamung Chonburi 20150. Tel: 038 252516 Fax: 038 252517