PDA

View Full Version : Oud's Bar and Cafe in Sunee Plaza may be closing soon.

travelerjim
June 9th, 2018, 15:57
Looks like Oud is Closing his bar in Sunee end of this month..posting on Gaybutton today...

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9063

"I was informed, that later this month one of the old guards in Sunee Plaza will close the shutter - Oud‘s Cafe will be no more"

If that happens...a true loss for Sunee Plaza
I have spent many an evening over past 16 years seated at Oud's. Though not often recently.

I wish Oud much happiness in his future...as well as the gracious Jack and Ralph. Always welcoming to all who stop by to chat. Best burgers, pulled pork sandwiches and fries too.

Tj

Nirish guy
June 9th, 2018, 19:34
The question is soon going to be something more like so where is actually left open still perhaps at the rate things seeming to be going of late :-(

scottish-guy
June 10th, 2018, 00:41
The Meatloaf brigade will soon have to get a takeaway

francois
June 10th, 2018, 12:32
SG, just to update you, the Fine Dining Society meets once a week at various restaurants with an open menu. Membership is doing even better than before. There has been no meatloaf on the menu since Ting Tong closed.

travelerjim
June 10th, 2018, 20:05
Reports confirmed Oud's Bar will CLOSE by June 20th....sad to share this...as appeared on Gaybutton board today...

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9063&start=10#p87782

Tj

scottish-guy
June 10th, 2018, 22:45
SG, just to update you, the Fine Dining Society meets once a week at various restaurants with an open menu. Membership is doing even better than before. There has been no meatloaf on the menu since Ting Tong closed.

Excellent news - but can you tell us what passes for "fine dining" now that the raw meatloaf is off the menu?

Further, is membership of the FDS open to all - or is there the possibility of being black balled?

Asking for a self-appointed food critic who is highly respected within sex workers circles.

:p

francois
June 11th, 2018, 00:13
Further, is membership of the FDS open to all - or is there the possibility of being black balled

In your case, SG, being blackballed is guaranteed.

francois
June 11th, 2018, 00:13
Oud's will close at end of June.

sglad
June 11th, 2018, 00:52
Excellent news - but can you tell us what passes for "fine dining" now that the raw meatloaf is off the menu?

:bo:

scottish-guy
June 11th, 2018, 01:21
In your case, SG, being blackballed is guaranteed.

extronaut
June 11th, 2018, 12:35
This forum is getting depressing.

chillnorther
June 11th, 2018, 13:43
A moment of silence for times passing, if you please. Oud's has been a reliable seat and sandwich for those who choose it for years. All best to him.

scottish-guy
June 11th, 2018, 14:40
This forum is getting depressing.

I take issue with the word "getting"

:p

dinagam
June 11th, 2018, 14:51
Not everyone is as sprightly as we know who?

pennyboy
June 11th, 2018, 16:09
The loss of any bar in Sunee is depressing but I don't think the loss of Ouds is any greater loss then the others before it. In the few times I visited this bar I found Oud to be a bit of a pain.

francois
June 11th, 2018, 17:16
In the few times I visited this bar I found Oud to be a bit of a pain.

Oud is a bit "camp" but always good to me as were Ralph and Jack. Always welcoming.

travelerjim
June 15th, 2018, 18:57
Pattayamale on Gaybutton board has posted further information regarding Oud's

"Even those that have not been to Memories (Oud's Bar) recently may want to take the opportunity to try and stop by before the bar closes. It has served the community for many years (18?) and with Jack now 69 years old and Ralph 79 the closing will give them a chance to have a different social life, travel, and not worry that the new building owners will not renew Oud's month to month lease. In October, Ralph and Jack celebrate their 50th anniversary together!!!

Jack said the date of the closing is not certain. It depends upon the bar and food stock. If you enjoyed the chilli or pulled pork sandwich, better get one while you can.

Jack mentioned that a few days before closing they will call the auction house in east Pattaya and a truck will be sent to pick up the equipment and furniture upon closing.

Oud said that he has secured a position at a hotel as receptionist. With his great English skills and personality he should do well. Running a bar in Thailand for a long period of time with all the uncertainties due changes in interpretation of the law by police (anyone remember the music police, the sweeps of the area) the economic downturn, political turmoil, opening of another gay are (in Jomtien)....has to be very tough.

Despite all this not many of the bars continued with the same owner for this long.
I personally wish Oud, Jack and Ralph the very best in the future.

---------------

May I also add my Best Wishes and a Hearty Thank You to Oud, Ralph and Jack for their many years of providing us with a good welcoming bar and place to get together.

I will miss Oud's. Though I have not been very active in the bar and club scene for several years, I did have many great years starting with a stop at Oud's.

Tj

travelerjim
June 23rd, 2018, 05:18
Over at Gaybutton...catawampuscat reports:
"Ouds closed permanently yesterday.
An Arab or Iranian already interested in the spot.
Further doom and gloom for Sunee Plaza, Good Boys will close next month and possibly The One bar nearby as well.
Possibility mentioned by owner was 50-50."

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9063&start=10

Tj

scottish-guy
June 23rd, 2018, 05:21
Domino effect

frequent
June 23rd, 2018, 06:28
"Oud (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oud)" is an Arabic word already so maybe they won't need to change the name?

gerefan2
June 23rd, 2018, 07:05
"Oud (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oud)" is an Arabic word already so maybe they won't need to change the name?

Sad, but that is the way Sunee is going, I think.