PDA

View Full Version : condo rental

aot871
June 5th, 2018, 21:17
,,Why all the fuss about short time condo rental ?, have just been reading gaybuttons site and there are guys complaning about short time rental of 1 month or less , I always rent a condo for my visit as only stay for about 2 weeks

Moses
June 5th, 2018, 21:47
,,Why all the fuss about short time condo rental ?, have just been reading gaybuttons site and there are guys complaning about short time rental of 1 month or less , I always rent a condo for my visit as only stay for about 2 weeks

Because not far ago court in Hua Hin ruled what renting condos less than for 1 month is illegal for owner, unless he obtains hotel/guesthouse license.

Manforallseasons
June 5th, 2018, 22:12
Actually the court ruled against airbnb....They have enacted a different law that in theory any owner of property that is rented for less then 30 days must be registered as a hotel have a license and pay tax on the rental income. The complaints come from people that own and live in their condos and are subject to undesirable short term tenants.

Up2U
June 5th, 2018, 22:32
We are in the mist of a crackdown of illegal hotels, guesthouses and condos under a revision to the Hotel Act of 2016 with a compliance date of 2020. For me personally and many of my friends the situation is becoming intolerable as our condominium homes become illegal hotels during the high season. It was not like this several years ago and is only getting worse. Recently the Atlantis condo (Jomtien 2nd Road) was raided and more to come (hopefully my project).

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/7-arrested-illegal-hotel-raids-208891

aot871
June 6th, 2018, 05:33
We are in the mist of a crackdown of illegal hotels, guesthouses and condos under a revision to the Hotel Act of 2016 with a compliance date of 2020. For me personally and many of my friends the situation is becoming intolerable as our condominium homes become illegal hotels during the high season. It was not like this several years ago and is only getting worse. Recently the Atlantis condo (Jomtien 2nd Road) was raided and more to come (hopefully my project).

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/7-arrested-illegal-hotel-raids-208891

Are you saying i should not rent a condo for my holiday of 2 weeks and that i should only stay in a hotel or guesthouse ? If so why should that be?

gerefan2
June 6th, 2018, 05:46
TiT I’m afraid!

Up2U
June 6th, 2018, 08:23
Are you saying i should not rent a condo for my holiday of 2 weeks and that i should only stay in a hotel or guesthouse ? If so why should that be?
Many guesthouses are not registered and illegal too. When I moved to Pattaya seven years ago you couldn't find condo landlord that would rent for any term less than six months but I fortunately did find one for three months while my own condo was being renovated. All that changed with airbnb, booking.com, etc basically flaunting the law. This whole condo rental issue will take several years to sort out so I don't know if you will have a problem but that's only my opinion. When I first visited Pattaya (last century) my friends and I stayed at places like the Ambiance, Cafe Royal, Serene, Welcome, Icon, Poseidon, etc. A good friend rents in my building twice a year, he pays for one month although he stays only three weeks.

aot871
June 6th, 2018, 13:27
Many guesthouses are not registered and illegal too. When I moved to Pattaya seven years ago you couldn't find condo landlord that would rent for any term less than six months but I fortunately did find one for three months while my own condo was being renovated. All that changed with airbnb, booking.com, etc basically flaunting the law. This whole condo rental issue will take several years to sort out so I don't know if you will have a problem but that's only my opinion. When I first visited Pattaya (last century) my friends and I stayed at places like the Ambiance, Cafe Royal, Serene, Welcome, Icon, Poseidon, etc. A good friend rents in my building twice a year, he pays for one month although he stays only three weeks.

I was like you in that when i first started to visit pattaya , i also stayed at the cafe and then later at the poseidon . But then the hotel rates got dearer and when i retired my income got smaller, like most of us and now with the crap exchange rates even worse , , I then found a condo for rent for my two weeks twice a year in view talay 5 where i stayed for a few years , and i am now staying in view talay 7, for far less than i would be paying in a hotel. I for one would not be like your friend ie paying for 1 month and only staying for 3 weeks , a complete waste of my money.

latintopxxx
June 6th, 2018, 15:08
Issue with BnB and other suchlike short term rentals in apartment blocks is the fact that they are on holiday and will party/make noise whenever they want for as long as they like, there is increased wear and tear in common areas as you have guests dragging suitcases and money boys in and out every 5 minutes, and in addition to this park where they like and dont follow the condo rules as they either havent been told or beacuse they dont care as they are a guest and the guest/customer is always right mentality does exist.
I should know as for about 6 months I lived in a small 12 unit apartment block and the one next to me was used as a BnB...was a never ending nightmare.

scottish-guy
June 6th, 2018, 19:03
Was the never ending nightmare that the BnB customers wouldn't stop complaining about your proclivities?

:p

francois
June 6th, 2018, 23:58
I for one would not be like your friend ie paying for 1 month and only staying for 3 weeks , a complete waste of my money.

Not really. It depends on the rental contract. A monthly rental might be 20,000 Baht but a daily rental for three weeks could be at 1000 Baht/day x 21 days = 21,000 Baht. Depends who you rent from.

Up2U
June 7th, 2018, 07:34
Not really. It depends on the rental contract. A monthly rental might be 20,000 Baht but a daily rental for three weeks could be at 1000 Baht/day x 21 days = 21,000 Baht. Depends who you rent from.
Exactly. And you are legal.

Kenny
June 7th, 2018, 16:35
I think it will be very interesting to watch the effect of this ruling on rental availability and the value of condos.

As someone who stays for both short and long periods, and having a preference for a condo for accommodation, I am considering buying one in the near future.

I wonder will this ruling result in condo owners off-loading their properties onto the market as the income from short-term lets dries up?

aot871
June 7th, 2018, 17:01

Most short term rentals include electric and water but long term do not , so you would have to include that in your sums

Up2U
June 7th, 2018, 17:04
I think it will have little impact. When most of us bought our condos converting them into a hotel was never considered (as well as illegal). If I ever decided to rent I would only consider a long-term lease and the tenant would be thoroughly vetted. I could make an argument that not living in essence, a hotel, could have a positive impact on condo values in my building.

francois
June 7th, 2018, 17:26
Most short term rentals include electric and water but long term do not , so you would have to include that in your sums

Quite true.

travelerjim
June 7th, 2018, 18:55
Short term rentals ...risks for owners.
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1041730-chinese-couple-stayed-two-days-but-this-is-how-they-left-the-room/

https://www.sanook.com/news/6708266/

Tj

Manforallseasons
June 7th, 2018, 21:27
I think it will be very interesting to watch the effect of this ruling on rental availability and the value of condos.

As someone who stays for both short and long periods, and having a preference for a condo for accommodation, I am considering buying one in the near future.

I wonder will this ruling result in condo owners off-loading their properties onto the market as the income from short-term lets dries up?

If I were in the market to buy a condo after living in one plaged by short term renters I would check very carefully how many are owner occupied vs those rented short term.

aot871
June 7th, 2018, 21:55
If I were in the market to buy a condo after living in one plaged by short term renters I would check very carefully how many are owner occupied vs those rented short term.

You cant tar every body with the same brush , not all short term renters are the same

latintopxxx
June 7th, 2018, 22:27
there is a large enough arsehole minority that make ALL short term rentals a nightmare.

Manforallseasons
June 7th, 2018, 22:58
You cant tar every body with the same brush , not all short term renters are the same

No one can check which renter is good which is bad, just follow the law...do not rent a private residence short time!

scottish-guy
June 8th, 2018, 02:18
... just follow the law...

Whilst selectively ignoring the law against prostitution and doing your best to financially encourage the breaking of that law

:drink:

Manforallseasons
June 8th, 2018, 04:47
Whilst selectively ignoring the law against prostitution and doing your best to financially encourage the breaking of that law

:drink:

At what point do you get bored posting persistant trite comments?

Brad the Impala
June 8th, 2018, 05:11
Oh the triter the better, as the bishop said to the actress when he reached the back passage.

scottish-guy
June 8th, 2018, 05:43
At what point do you get bored posting persistant trite comments?

When others stop posting hypocritical content - so my guess is "not anytime soon"

You could always utilise the "ignore" feature - I eschewed it for years before recently applying to a certain person, and its effect has been marvellous - almost medicinal in fact. I thoroughly recommend it.

aot871
June 8th, 2018, 07:13
No one can check which renter is good which is bad, just follow the law...do not rent a private residence short time!

As i said in an earler post i rent for short time approx 2 weeks , does that make me a bad renter just because i some times bring a boy back . I could rent for a longer time such as 1 month and still be a bad renter , ie having loud parties , I dont really see your point.

Up2U
June 8th, 2018, 08:31
As i said in an earler post i rent for short time approx 2 weeks , does that make me a bad renter just because i some times bring a boy back . I could rent for a longer time such as 1 month and still be a bad renter , ie having loud parties , I dont really see your point.

That's a straw man fallacy. My new neighbor bought the adjacent unit and brings back boys regularly. He's a great person and is in full compliance with condo rules. It's the short-term renter that creates our problems. Again, this became an issue several years ago with flagrant disregard for other people and the law.

Nirish guy
June 8th, 2018, 08:36
Likewise I too am a short renter of apartments and have rented many places in many Countries both via Airbnb and privately and I've never had or left any negative experiences for any landlord ( that I know of). Airbnb for instance allows both the renter and the landlord to leave public comments about the other to specifically ensure that future renters and landlords CAN check each other out and any info on any nonsense from either party is quite easily passed on and it would absolutely affect your ability to rent again on that particular platform and either party would need to have a good excuse ready as to why the other person left them a negative review and star rating it that was showing on their profile even once - and if more than that I'm guessing you could forget renting there.

I too have been a landlord of several properties in the recent past and I could tell you some real horror stories about the state some of my yearly long term renters left their houses in before I had to physically and legally evict some of them. This includes anything from them just not cleaning the place and leaving it like a total pigsty that you wouldn't believe humans could live in, to them refusing to open ANY windows to allow any ventilation about the place but whilst having either no heating on OR the heating never off and so causing damp to occur. \

Or then right up to my finding used and bloody syringes complete with their needles intact and finding out my wonderful tenants were in fact HIV+ intravenous drug users and pushers ! Oh I could go on. One guy cut into the mains gas pipes in an attempt to try to by passed the gas metre from the street metre to avoid paying for gas - he literally could and would have blown up the entire street if I hadn't of walked in and caught him red handed in the act cutting and bypassing the pipes and in fact his actions were so dangerous that myself and the police and local authorities all conspired (fully legally) to prosecute him in court to ensure that he was jailed for a year ( and a day) so that he could then be deported back to eastern Europe from whence he came for his reckless actions !

So, as aot871 says above I really dont think it's as easy as saying "just dont rent to short term renters" - there's good and bad in ever bunch of renters, the hard part is just deciding which is which I guess ( which it turns out it seems I was particularly shit at sometimes - but not all the time I might add as I did have some great long terms too who I have actually become good friends with now).

Manforallseasons
June 8th, 2018, 12:13
Someone said "opinions are like assholes everyone has one" however, atleast in Thailand the law is clear that to rent property less than 30 days the landlord needs a hotel license and must pay tax on the rental income!

Up2U
June 8th, 2018, 14:41
""just dont rent to short term renters" - there's good and bad in ever bunch of renters, the hard part is just deciding which is which I guess".... People are making this unnecessarily completed, simply put it is against the law to rent a condo for less than 30 days. Just answer the rhetorical question, would you want a short-term renter living in your own condominium building or neighborhood back in your home country? I wouldn't do it to you so please don't do it to us. There are hotels, serviced apartments and guesthouses available for your vacation pleasure.

aot871
June 8th, 2018, 15:48
""just dont rent to short term renters" - there's good and bad in ever bunch of renters, the hard part is just deciding which is which I guess".... People are making this unnecessarily completed, simply put it is against the law to rent a condo for less than 30 days. Just answer the rhetorical question, would you want a short-term renter living in your own condominium building or neighborhood back in your home country? I wouldn't do it to you so please don't do it to us. There are hotels, serviced apartments and guesthouses available for your vacation pleasure.

Its also as has been said before against the law, to pay a boy or girl to have sex No one on here says stop that,. firstly pattaya would come to a grinding halt . Pattaya is not and never will be a family resort unless the police have a 100% crackdown which will never happen ( too much tea money to be made ) improve the beaches, stop the crap in the sea etc Untill theres a 100% stoppage of condo rental by the goverment , nothing will happen , its not the holiday renter to blame . its the absent owner or those who have more than 1 condo who want to rent out where the blame should lie. Most condo blocks have a managment comittie , thats where it should start

Nirish guy
June 8th, 2018, 15:49
Simply put it's against the law to use prostitutes in Thailand - but I'm still going to do that - AND - I'm still going to use short term renting if it suits ME and the renter - against the law or NOT. I could care less about that or many laws, if I was to live my life worrying about am I breaking this law or that I'd end up staying in bed all day just.

I do understand the issues that short term renting can sometimes bring to places but condo owners insisting that others shouldn't do it as "they don't like it" ( or it's against the law) grates with me a tad, people should be allowed to do what they will with their own property and all the cries of "please dont do that" sound to me more like a case of "Nimby" condo owners complaining ( Nimby standing for Not In My Back Yard).

As SG said this "follow the law" argument being applied "when it suits" when other laws are ignored "when it suits" grates a bit too. If a property is available and half the cost of a hotel and I look after it and don't cause issues with the neighbours I dont see why anyone shouldn't rent to me if they so wish - apart from it being "against the law" - but I think I've already covered my thoughts on that topic.

PS if the law states no rentals for under 30 days - then fine and renters simply rent for 31 days - then the legal and renting problem is solved for all parties then surely - but I'm guessing that still do it for some ? So, where's the line - as I think what condo owners mean is no renting of condo's FULL STOP please more like - as as I've already shown, whether it be for a month or a year a bad renter is a bad renter and we all can't and shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.

I'm guessing the "law" is damned all to do with protecting condo owners anyway and is more concerned with collecting unpaid yet to be levied taxes from landlords who DO rent their property anyway,

Manforallseasons
June 8th, 2018, 16:35
Somehow a few of you are missing the point, the law is not meant for you as wouldbe short time renters it is meant soley for the property owner and only they are subject to breaking the law you are nothing in the equation.

Nirish guy
June 8th, 2018, 16:51
Ahhh but apparently "we" the renters are everything to the subject otherwise you condo owner complainers wouldn't be getting your knickers in such a twist over the issue in the first place perhaps .....but god to know that "I'm not breaking the law anyway, I'll sleep better tonight when I book my next short term rental perhaps and the landlord happily takes my money as a contribution towards his monthly mortgage payments and or bar boy ( delete as appropriate)

Up2U
June 9th, 2018, 08:23
No knickers in a twist and it's not about "you" or "we" and certainly nothing personal. Our issue is with the unit owners that act illegally and the internet "tools" at their disposal. We are simply making people aware of the problem. Those cumming here and illegally renting condos can relax, like prostitution the punter has nothing to fear, it is the prostitute that gets arrested and fined. Enjoy your next holiday.

aussie_
June 9th, 2018, 09:38
In the larger condos like where i rent at Pratunmak with over 1200 rooms there is little to differentiate beteween the behavior of unit owners and long and short term renters.

People talk loudly in hallways, especially the cleaning staff and renovators, slam doors shut, play music loudly, have loud conversations on their phones in the hallways, smoke in non smoking areas and basically do not care at all about their neighbors. On two occasions and early in the morning i was woken by two girls fighting and screaming at each other in the hallways. Security are not too keen to confront residents about their behavior, especially late at night. Management ignore requests to put signs up asking for quiet etc.

Before my lease expires I will look for a smaller condo building with fewer apartments and preferably no short term renters allowed like MFAS has found. A corner room is also recommended so you do not have other residents passing by your room making noise.

I did stay in View Talay 2B which has many Airbnb rooms and found it better than my current apartment as far as residents behavior was concerned and generally very quiet. Other friends recommend View Talay 5 on the Pattaya side of the building closest to the beach.

scottish-guy
June 9th, 2018, 15:02
Everybody knows that many/most SGT members are multi-millionaires - so why they buy Condos and then complain about the neighbours, rather than buying detached houses where they would have none of these problems, has me scratching my head

aot871
June 9th, 2018, 15:38
No knickers in a twist and it's not about "you" or "we" and certainly nothing personal. Our issue is with the unit owners that act illegally and the internet "tools" at their disposal. We are simply making people aware of the problem. Those cumming here and illegally renting condos can relax, like prostitution the punter has nothing to fear, it is the prostitute that gets arrested and fined. Enjoy your next holiday.

If you dont mind me asking , what condo do u live in when in pattaya ?

Up2U
June 9th, 2018, 17:34
Everybody knows that many/most SGT members are multi-millionaires - so why they buy Condos and then complain about the neighbours, rather than buying detached houses where they would have none of these problems, has me scratching my head

I'm not a multimillionaire, just a farang enjoying retirement with his bf. Just so you know foreigners can't own homes here, the only way to have a deed in your name is a condo.

Up2U
June 9th, 2018, 17:37
I'm not a multimillionaire, just a farang enjoying retirement with his bf. Just so you know foreigners can't own homes here, the only way to have a deed in your name is a condo.

Vt7. I have friends in all the View Talay's except Vt8.

scottish-guy
June 9th, 2018, 17:55
.. foreigners can't own homes here, the only way to have a deed in your name is a condo.

I'm sure there are ways round everything (you could put it in your BF's name) - but my comment was of course tongue in cheek, as is the immediately preceding one in brackets

:p

bobsaigon2
June 9th, 2018, 19:06
For a foreigner to own his own home, the usual procedure is to set up a company with the foreigner as major share holder. When selling the home, the signatures of the minority share holders are required. I did this twice, once at Rabbit and once at View Talay Villas.