PDA

View Full Version : Thai Visa Website

scottish-guy
June 2nd, 2018, 16:10
I found this (below) and thought it might be of interest to anybody thinking of visiting Thailand for extended periods and wondering about the various Visa options for doing so.

I found it easy to follow (unlike some of the convoluted discussions on ThaiVisa) and he seems to know what he's talking about, which usually means a handful of people will now post to tell me he knows nothing

https://www.locationindependent.co.uk/thai-visas-digital-nomad-guide/#Overview

Smiles
June 2nd, 2018, 23:00
" ... he seems to know what he's talking about, which usually means a handful of people will now post to tell me he knows nothingAu contraire ... I think it's a very valuable post to eventually keep in the Resources Forum (?).

Unfortunately the post does not get into the Non-Immigrant visa area. For instance, the author does not include any info on the Retirement Visa ... e.g. the Non Immigrant 'O' and 'O-A', which is of interest to many on this board.

Jellybean
June 2nd, 2018, 23:36
Au contraire ... I think it's a very valuable post to eventually keep in the Resources Forum (?) . . .

Good idea, Smiles. I shall leave the topic here for another couple of days to allow for maximum exposure, then move it to the Thailand Resources forum.

Moses
June 2nd, 2018, 23:54
Good idea, Smiles. I shall leave the topic here for another couple of days to allow for maximum exposure, then move it to the Thailand Resources forum.

You can move it at any time and to leave here permanent link (Move thread and tick box "leave permanent link"), then thread will be visible in both sub-forums.

scottish-guy
June 2nd, 2018, 23:57
Yes it's not retirement focused it's more traveller focused.

I never intended it to be retained in this forum - just started it here to draw it to more ppls attention

:drink:

mahjongguy
June 3rd, 2018, 01:14
Overall a decent summary but I could quibble with a few of the points in the article. It states that Visa On Arrival gets 30 days. To my knowledge, most or all nationalities on the VoA list only get 15 days, and that stay cannot be extended.

In the section on extensions, there is mention of 7 and 14 day extensions, but 14 does not exist.

scottish-guy
June 3rd, 2018, 21:52
Just because you mentioned the VoA, i looked up the Thai Embassy website page for it - and true to form it contradicts itself on the issue of how many days:

Firstly: "...You must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 15 days of entry, as appropriate." then just 5 lines later it says "If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry you will be most likely to be refused entry

So it's far from clear it seems.

What I would say is that if you scroll to the bottom, the Author does seem to answer all queries so I guess these 2 issues could be put to him

mahjongguy
June 3rd, 2018, 22:17
Getting good info from commercial websites like thaiembassy.com is very iffy. Even the legit sites for the many Thai embassies and consulates around the world contain details that are vague, conflicting, or sometimes just wrong.

To my knowledge, the 21 countries on the VoA list all get only 15 days (for a fee), with no extensions. They can, however, pay 1,900 baht to request an extension, get denied, and receive a 7 day grace period added to their permission to stay.

That's a rough deal compared to those countries on the visa exempt (aka visa waiver) list. They get in for free, get 30 days (or in five cases 90 days), and can extend for 30 days more.

Manforallseasons
June 3rd, 2018, 22:17
I found this (below) and thought it might be of interest to anybody thinking of visiting Thailand for extended periods and wondering about the various Visa options for doing so.

I found it easy to follow (unlike some of the convoluted discussions on ThaiVisa) and he seems to know what he's talking about, which usually means a handful of people will now post to tell me he knows nothing

https://www.locationindependent.co.uk/thai-visas-digital-nomad-guide/#Overview

Not suprised you made the first post after the tech issue. I imagine you haven't slept just waiting.

scottish-guy
June 3rd, 2018, 22:53
It wasn't hard to be first - this website has been down most of the day in case you hadn't noticed

Moses
June 4th, 2018, 00:23
first post after the tech issue

this website has been down most of the day in case you hadn't noticed

mmmmmmmm?

werner
June 4th, 2018, 12:40
To where was this thread moved and why?
This seems to be a very useful discussion related to Gay [Travelers to] Thailand....

scottish-guy
June 4th, 2018, 13:51
mmmmmmmm?

No idea what that's supposed to mean - you surely are not denying that the site was down for hours, given that you even posted about it on GT

Moses
June 4th, 2018, 14:44
No idea what that's supposed to mean

That means: he already knew about thech issue and even wrote about it in his post, after it you wrote "in case you hadn't notice"... what the reason to suppose he hadn't notice?

Moses
June 4th, 2018, 14:49
To where was this thread moved and why?
This seems to be a very useful discussion related to Gay [Travelers to] Thailand....

yeah, and it is visible now from both forums: "Gay Thailand" and "Thai resources"

scottish-guy
June 4th, 2018, 23:52
That means: he already knew about thech issue and even wrote about it in his post, after it you wrote "in case you hadn't notice"... what the reason to suppose he hadn't notice?

My point was: Did he not notice the length of time the "tech issue" lasted - which meant that it was easy to be the first to respond as everybody had been unable to post!

Instead of snarling like a demented rottweiler every time you perceive some slur (and this wasn't one!), maybe just consider that as your English language and comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired, you might do better to think twice before responding - as the chances are you've completely misunderstood as usual

Moses
June 5th, 2018, 00:03
Instead of snarling like a demented rottweiler

Pffffff... weak try.

Nirish guy
June 7th, 2018, 15:54
you've got it wrong again Moses, at no time in this thread was SG getting at you or the board being down. You've misunderstood his post, it was directed at MFAS and his comment that SG must have just been sitting waiting for the board to come up, to which SG simply replied some like " well of course it's been down, it's been down all day, you must have noticed that too ?" etc.

scottish-guy
June 7th, 2018, 16:09
Bingo!

Loki
June 8th, 2018, 07:22
Maybe we should chip in to "go fund me" for refresher ESL classes for Moses !!