PDA

View Full Version : Golden Opportunity

Loki
May 21st, 2018, 21:00
Don't miss out today on a golden opportunity of your lifetime to bestow threads you start, and other peoples threads, with the 'highly coveted' and 'much sought after' 5 Golden Star rating.

Now I'm talking no money down folks, no strings attached, you can drive it away today !

This offer is even sanctioned by our “cryptic leader”, who states: “ratings are then more accurate than more members participate in voting... any member may vote for any thread.”
Did I mention he was cryptic?

Well anyway, I hear you asking, Loki how can I get in on this sweet deal?

Well gents it's real simple.
While you're logged in, go to the upper right and depress the:
“Rate this Thread” button. Next, select:
“5 Golden Stars” (your thread is worth it, isn't it?) Next, depress the:
“Vote” button.

See how easy it was to put “Gold” in those threads?

So go ahead and rate those threads !

This offer is not valid in some states, and your mileage may vary.
:rolleyes:

Moses
May 21st, 2018, 22:04
Loki, thank you for advertising of SGT rating system.

To all: rating system's menu is located at the top of each thread:

Loki
May 21st, 2018, 22:11
You can't be serious, lurking within you is there a sense of humor?

Moses
May 21st, 2018, 23:19
You can't be serious, lurking within you is there a sense of humor?

I use opportunity ;)

scottish-guy
May 22nd, 2018, 00:29
I gave one star, not because that's my honest opinion but just to see/show how easily it can be manipulated.

My single vote moved the thread from 5 stars to 4

But I guess this toy will appeal to some - I prefer ones that take batteries :p

Loki
May 22nd, 2018, 01:52
Scottish-guy said "I gave one star, not because that's my honest opinion but just to see/show how easily it can be manipulated."
Precisely my point, since Smiles posted the initial question about Those 5 Golden Stars.

Loki
May 22nd, 2018, 01:58
Well Moses, I'll use this opportunity to inform you the invisible "sarcasm" emoji in this thread was clearly lost on you.
However, I do applaud your effort in turning lemons into lemonade !!
:(

francois
May 22nd, 2018, 11:27
Well Moses, I'll use this opportunity to inform you the invisible "sarcasm" emoji in this thread was clearly lost on you.
However,
:(

The sarcasm was also lost on me. I had no idea what you were writing about.

And, I also did give a one star rating same as SG. I doubt it made any difference.

scottish-guy
May 22nd, 2018, 13:34
Oh it made a difference all right - it's down to 3 stars now, again proving Loki's point.

Loki
May 22nd, 2018, 21:56
Oh it made a difference all right - it's down to 3 stars now, again proving Loki's point.

Thanks SG.
There's a saying “do the math” in American slang.
It refers to the ability to take in information, process the information, then formulate a conclusion.
Sadly, some members of SGT population are compromised in doing the math.

cdnmatt
May 22nd, 2018, 22:39
You're really fixated on this rating system, aren't you?

I have to admit, you seem quite strange. I've never met someone who was this infactuated with a simple rating system before.

Do other simple things in life amaze you as well? You should buy some lego, and realize the blocks just magically click together. That will probably keep you busy for months.

scottish-guy
May 22nd, 2018, 22:54
Matt, I'm one of the few that has a kind word to say about you - but for you to accuse others of being fixated or infatuated over stuff is not only taking the biscuit my dear, but the gateau and blancmange to go with it.

Loki
May 22nd, 2018, 23:42
Matt, firstly... you calling me strange, is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. However your comment is duly noted.

Secondly, I'll try to re-explain my concerns. The vBulletin Version 4.2.5 software, as currently configured:

1. Allows users to self-rate threads, with the vote threshold set to one. (i.e.: thread starter can self grant 5 stars with his own vote)

2. Allows users to rate others threads, with the vote threshold set to one. (i.e.: user can grant a thread 5 stars with his one vote)

3. Allows users to remove stars from a thread, again with the vote threshold set to one. (i.e. if a thread is currently rated at 5 stars and one user votes 1 star, the total goes down to 4 stars.)

With such a low threshold to enter votes, and given minimal participation in the voting population, it is reasonable to conclude that a minority will have a disproportionate impact on the ratings...leading to all sorts of “monkey business.”

In addition, I think it is ludicrous to allow a thread starter to self rate their own threads.

The above is a fair summation of the problem, as I see it.

As I understand it, the software allows the ratings feature to be turned off.

This, in my view would be the most ideal solution.

Discuss.

paborn
May 22nd, 2018, 23:53
Matt, firstly... you calling me strange, is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. However your comment is duly noted.

Secondly, I'll try to re-explain my concerns. The vBulletin Version 4.2.5 software, as currently configured:

1. Allows users to self-rate threads, with the vote threshold set to one. (i.e.: thread starter can self grant 5 stars with his own vote)

2. Allows users to rate others threads, with the vote threshold set to one. (i.e.: user can grant a thread 5 stars with his one vote)

3. Allows users to remove stars from a thread, again with the vote threshold set to one. (i.e. if a thread is currently rated at 5 stars and one user votes 1 star, the total goes down to 4 stars.)

With such a low threshold to enter votes, and given minimal participation in the voting population, it is reasonable to conclude that a minority will have a disproportionate impact on the ratings...leading to all sorts of “monkey business.”

In addition, I think it is ludicrous to allow a thread starter to self rate their own threads.

The above is a fair summation of the problem, as I see it.

As I understand it, the software allows the ratings feature to be turned off.

This, in my view would be the most ideal solution.

Discuss.

What kind of monkey business? In absolute honesty I never noticed the stars until you brought it up. I go to "what's new" and read what interests me regardless what others thought of it's star quality.

gerefan2
May 22nd, 2018, 23:56
Just noticed all the recent threads have 5*. As pointed out a load of monkey business.
What if someone gave all the previous threads 1*?

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:00
Just noticed all the recent threads have 5*. As pointed out a load of monkey business.
What if someone gave all the previous threads 1*?

Again, exactly my point !!
In effect, because these stars can so easily manipulated, they are worthless.

cdnmatt
May 23rd, 2018, 00:05
@loki -- Well, thank fuck I'm blind I guess, because the stars don't have any impact on my life as I can't see / hear them.

Of course the threshold is low. There's maybe a dozen active members here. Putting the threshold up to say 5 votes would probably just cause more bitching from people wondering why their vote wasn't counted.

I guess Moses could just deactivate the rating system, but up to him, not us, as its his site. Really though, if this is an actual problem in your life, then holy fuck you must live an amazing and worry free life. I'm hard pressed to think of something dumber to complain about and start a campaign against, so if this is a big problem in your life, then consider yourself lucky.

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:05
Again, exactly my point !!
In effect, because these stars can so easily manipulated, they are worthless.

Yeah, yeah. Do you really thing what just because 2-3-5 members continue to write here "they are worthless" I will switch off functions what is used by tens of members?

Want to know what I think? If you don't like it - just don't use it then. Point.

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:10
Yeah, yeah. Do you really thing what just because 2-3-5 members continue to write here "they are worthless" I will switch off functions what is used by tens of members?

Want to know what I think? If you don't like it - just don't use it then. Point.

Moses, you're so predictable !!

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:10
I guess Moses could just deactivate the rating system, but up to him, not us, as its his site. Really though, if this is an actual problem in your life, then holy fuck you must live an amazing and worry free life. I'm hard pressed to think of something dumber to complain about and start a campaign against, so if this is a big problem in your life, then consider yourself lucky.

I will not deactivate them, I don't want to put in trash basket so nice job what Loki did for popularization of rating system :)

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:15
Moses, you're so predictable !!

Sure. I have to be. It is part of job. You should just relax and count me as a predictable, unexperienced, uneducated and with limited skills. Then you will start make unprepared steps. I'll be waiting for you there.

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:16
@loki -- Well, thank fuck I'm blind I guess, because the stars don't have any impact on my life as I can't see / hear them.

Of course the threshold is low. There's maybe a dozen active members here. Putting the threshold up to say 5 votes would probably just cause more bitching from people wondering why their vote wasn't counted.

Matt, things that are just plain dumb pique my interest !!

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:18
By the way: is somebody don't know what we are talking about: it is all about rating system for forum's members - it allows to rate threads. You can find it at top menu of each thread and to rate thread.

cdnmatt
May 23rd, 2018, 00:20
Matt, things that are just plain dumb pique my interest !!

Yes, that's quite apparent. Not to mention the need to color your messages with #ff0000 (I think that's red, right?).

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:20
Sure. I have to be. It is part of job. You should just relax and count me as a predictable, unexperienced, uneducated and with limited skills. Then you will start make unprepared steps. I'll be waiting for you there.

As cryptic as ever !!

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:21
As cryptic as ever !!

do I have reason for changes?

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:24
do I have reason for changes?

What ever works for you !

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:27
Yes, that's quite apparent. Not to mention the need to color your messages with #ff0000 (I think that's red, right?).

A purportedly blind man commenting on the color I use in my message?
Seriously?

cdnmatt
May 23rd, 2018, 00:34
Yeah, #FF0000 is red, isn't it? RGB.

You're using a shitty shade of red, if that's the case. A little darker tinge looks much better, not that "screaming" red color that you're probably showing.

And I've only been blind for about 20 months, so I remember what color looks like.

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:36
A purportedly blind man commenting on the color I use in my message?
Seriously?

Loki you never heard of https://www.nvaccess.org/ ?

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:38
Yeah, #FF0000 is red, isn't it? RGB.

You're using a shitty shade of red, if that's the case. A little darker tinge looks much better, not that "screaming" red color that you're probably showing.

And I've only been blind for about 20 months, so I remember what color looks like.

Screaming red invokes a mood in dealing with some people that possibly need to be screamed at !

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:45
Loki you never heard of https://www.nvaccess.org/ ?

Thanks for the link Moses. I'm coming to believe you're not such a bad guy after all.

Moses
May 23rd, 2018, 00:47
Thanks for the link Moses. I'm coming to believe you're not such a bad guy after all.

Leave your hopes. I'm very bad guy: everyone knows - all Russians are evils.

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 00:55

One other thing I forgot to mention Matt. Just because this has no impact on you...everybody else can go pound sand...correct?
Great example of netizen behavior.

Loki
May 23rd, 2018, 02:09
Loki, thank you for advertising of SGT rating system.

To all: rating system's menu is located at the top of each thread:

So Moses, when do I get paid for all this advertising?
Maybe next week?
:D