PDA

View Full Version : European retirees creating a boom market for Thai property

July 24th, 2006, 23:50
European retirees creating a boom market for Thai property
Veteran Swedish hotelier Sven Wermelin has travelled across Europe and Asia for his career, but also in search of a place to spend his retirement.

What he found was a 276-square-meter (3,000-square-foot) house in Thailand's southern resort town of Hua Hin.

"I sold my house in Spain, which is very expensive, to buy a house here where I get everything at a reasonable price. I can play golf and my wife can enjoy the beach, while my 15-year-old son can get very good education," said the 65-year-old, referring to the international schools in town.

"Hua Hin is my first home now. It is a perfect destination for those who want to enjoy life after retirement."

Wermelin is among the increasing number of foreigners buying property in Thai resort towns for their retirement.

Many are taking advantage of a new "retirement visa", which Thailand began issuing in February to foreigners older than 50, even if they are still working in their home countries.

The move has spurred strong demand for property, said George Mastronikolis, managing director of Hua Hin property developer Regal Thailand.

"For the past few years, expats living in Asia were the main buyers. Now this is changing with more and more individuals, mostly retiring people with the majority of them northern Europeans, discovering the benefits of living in Thailand," he told AFP.

"They sold their properties in Spain and other European countries, which have become very expensive, to buy property in Thailand."

Foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, but they can own a condo or a house.

In the upmarket tourist town of Hua Hin, residential units run from two to 30 million baht (52,500 to 790,000 dollars), but most of the demand is for mid-range houses costing 5-10 million baht.

"Hua Hin has the bright future of a unique city... a perfect family and retirement destination," Mastronikolis said.

Patti Tomaitrichitr, property analyst at KGI Securities, said the demand among European expats and retirees is greatest in the resort areas of Phuket, Pattaya and Hua Hin.

"Compared to other Asian markets like Hong Kong, Thailand's property prices and costs of living are relatively competitive," she told AFP.

Pattaya, still best known for its raucous red-light district, has seen sales double since mid-2005, with prices jumping by 50 percent since the third quarter last year, she said.

Phuket tends to attract higher-income foreigners, with sales rebounding since late 2005, after a slump following the December 2004 tsunami.

"Retirees can afford to live a lifestyle in Thailand that would not be affordable in the West, with many employing staff for driving, cleaning and nursing," said Charlotte Filleul, the Phuket-based sales manager of CB Richard Ellis (Thailand).

Phuket's international airport gives easy access to other cities in the region and to Bangkok.

Recreation activities such as yachting and golfing are among the most affordable in the region, making the island an attractive destination for retirees, she said.

"Phuket also has world-class, international medical facilities at very affordable prices, which are cheaper and more efficient than the services many Europeans and Americans would receive in their own countries," Filleul said.

Property prices in Phuket tend to be higher than the rest of Thailand. Condos built to western specification cost from 65,000 baht to more than 100,000 baht per square meter.

"Property prices have risen around 20 percent per year for the last five years and expected to continue to rise further," she said.

In Pattaya, villa projects with sea views are priced at millions of dollars.

"Some residential units in Pattaya are moving upmarket with significant upswings in price," said Richard Ellis' David Simister.

"Thailand is a very unique package because it has a good range of offerings -- transportation, international food, ability to own a yacht, a reasonably priced lifestyle, and a genuinely hospitable population," he said.

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/060723/1/429ki.html

July 25th, 2006, 00:10
I don't think values have gone up 50 percent in one year in Pattaya!
Maybe in some cases with condo flipping in luxury units, but not overall.

July 25th, 2006, 10:23
DELETED

July 25th, 2006, 11:32
If you pick up a copy of the Real Estate Magazine Thailand you will see an article about early retiree's buying in Thailand after leaving Spain, and we even speculate, where next?
Nicaragua. Argentina.

July 25th, 2006, 11:35
Panama. Costa Rica.

July 25th, 2006, 11:51
Panama. Costa Rica.
You're right about Panama.
Costa Rica is old hat and now very expensive.
I suppose the real question was where in SE Asia.
Malaysia is too muzzie for many of us. Cambodia too backward. Vietnam offers no practical retirement visa option. Singapore is too sterile. Burma is impossible to move to. Any one of these countries (except S'pore which has no attraction and Malay which already is retiree friendly) could change their policies and make it more inviting for farang retirees. If I had to bet, I would say Cambodia will be first, maybe Nam.

Aunty
July 25th, 2006, 13:48
I'm surprised, given that foreigners are not allowed to buy land in Thailand, that more don't lease the land their houses stand on or will be built on. This is fairly common in Auckland here where I live as a lot of land was gifted to the Anglican Church by Nagti Whatua some 140 odd years ago, and the church now leases this land out on 21 year renewable leases as most of it sits under the wealthy eastern suburbs of Auckland. There is a yearly rental to pay of course, and the pain comes when the lease is renewed and the annual rental moves form say $750 a year to $15,000 a year due to appreciation in the value of the land, but it remains a fairly common approach.

As I say I'm surprised this approach is not adopted more in Thailand to accommodate the foreign ownership law. This option also makes the land owner very very wealthy, for very little effort.

July 25th, 2006, 14:25
DELETED

July 25th, 2006, 18:41
.... i.e. and I don't mean just enough to buy a property and a few maids. A lot of people buy property out in "wherever" and they don't have two halfpennys to rub together. Then when its time to sell, its really difficult to sell the property and get the price they want. Different story in the UK, a whole new ball game.

The only properties that are any good are the ones that have recently been built with reputable architects etc. After what I have seen in these type of places, I would stick to the UK where I know the market and what to do if there is a problem.

In Thailand, put your deposit down and more deposit and more deposit, then they make up all kinds of stories of why for one reason or other why it is not completed and all the complications etc.

I bet there are a few properties in Thailand that are being sold for knock down prices cause falang has to quit the scene.

What is strange about Thailand, when you buy a new property it is the shell only, one has to put the kitchen and bathroom in themselves or arrange for the builders to do it.

A nightmare if you ask me

I will stick to other means of making money. Mind you it may be that one is buying property to live in and not for profit - are there any people out there who do this???

July 25th, 2006, 22:50
[quote="John Botting":3vwxwgxs]If you pick up a copy of the Real Estate Magazine Thailand you will see an article about early retiree's buying in Thailand after leaving Spain, and we even speculate, where next?
Nicaragua. Argentina.

If you want to know the answer, pick up a copy of the present issue :drunken:[/quote:3vwxwgxs]
Do you have a link?

July 26th, 2006, 09:51
DELETED