PDA

View Full Version : Moses - a searchable map ?? Do'able or not ?

Nirish guy
May 14th, 2018, 18:07
Moses - on reading the random post below ( and many many more like it where people list the physical address of bars / restaurants etc) it made me wonde is it possible / or a good idea that an embed "searchable" map is somehow embedded into to the site to enable either posters to "link" the place they're talking about for all to see and find easily OR for a reader to type in an / the / any address of a particular premises or place that they're looking for ?

Of course the above is all possible via Google Map's etc but that means leaving the site so I just wondered if that is something or that the code easily exists ( or just needed switched on ?) to allow that and so enhance the visitor experience ( ie the same booking. com and Agoda etc already do) ??

For clarity this is just intended a (hopefully constructive) suggestion or question and not a "why don't you have one of these" post so no " well why don't you just go to google maps and not here then" type replies required if that's not something that's either possible or that you want to do.

If possible that same "linked" map could well end up making a very useful "gay map of bars and places Pattaya ( and elsewhere)" that so many people seem to ask for every now and then ?

The post that promoted my thinking.....
"Have any of you enjoyed eating at this Cafe ? It sure looks delicious ...I'm tempted to try it. They offer daily specials... Serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. 293 / 27 Soi Buakhao Pattaya"

Moses
May 14th, 2018, 21:05
Moses - on reading the random post below ( and many many more like it where people list the physical address of bars / restaurants etc) it made me wonde is it possible / or a good idea that an embed "searchable" map is somehow embedded into to the site to enable either posters to "link" the place they're talking about for all to see and find easily OR for a reader to type in an / the / any address of a particular premises or place that they're looking for ?

Of course the above is all possible via Google Map's etc but that means leaving the site so I just wondered if that is something or that the code easily exists ( or just needed switched on ?) to allow that and so enhance the visitor experience ( ie the same booking. com and Agoda etc already do) ??

For clarity this is just intended a (hopefully constructive) suggestion or question and not a "why don't you have one of these" post so no " well why don't you just go to google maps and not here then" type replies required if that's not something that's either possible or that you want to do.

If possible that same "linked" map could well end up making a very useful "gay map of bars and places Pattaya ( and elsewhere)" that so many people seem to ask for every now and then ?

The post that promoted my thinking.....
"Have any of you enjoyed eating at this Cafe ? It sure looks delicious ...I'm tempted to try it. They offer daily specials... Serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. 293 / 27 Soi Buakhao Pattaya"

Do you mean to have possibility for posters to show Google map with place what they are talking about? Yes. I can do it on forum.

It will work on this way: poster use BB-code (button) and paste there btw tags link to Google map where this place is already marked by him. Alternate version: poster hit BB-code button for Google map and insert precise address btw tags. This will not work for places where is no address.
Both above mention versions can show one only place on the map.

Exists another version for community use: it can show "communal" custom map. Such map should be created directly with Google service "my map". It will work like on Utopia site. (example http://www.utopia-asia.com/thaibang.htm ) Such map should be created by enthusiast or by community and may be edited within "My maps" on Google. It can be protected from edition by password (also on Google). This version will allow to show many places at the same area simultaneously.

Nirish guy
May 15th, 2018, 00:09
Oh good, delighted to hear that can be done in some way, i look forward to hearing if others ( or yourself) would find that of use then and if it's somehting that might happen then at some point.

Moses
May 15th, 2018, 00:36
Oh good, delighted to hear that can be done in some way, i look forward to hearing if others ( or yourself) would find that of use then and if it's somehting that might happen then at some point.

Let me show to you examples how it works:

Option 2: member uses button and inserts address. For example "Red Square, Moscow, Russia"

Red Square, Moscow

Option 3: somebody makes custom map and share it. He may invite editors and contributors and share with them rights to edit this map and keep it actual.

1csrc_TXNp46SmEkpaKp5l2JEBE0

Nirish guy
May 15th, 2018, 05:40
I guess both have their uses depending on the intent of the poster, option 2 for an individual poster to highlight one particular place they wish to highlight and option 3 as a general all purpose "useful gay map" - I guess option 3 could be something "the board" ( i.e yourself Moses might find easiest to start and then keep the rights too so you have control over that in the long term maybe ??? Either work well for their different purposes and good to know that are available should members chose to use them.

What does anyone else think maybe - a useful addition and worth us all populating at our leisure as we wish to highlight somewhere - or not just required perhaps ???

a447
May 15th, 2018, 07:00
A great idea, Nirish.

And thanks to Moses for organising it so quickly.

It's a very useful feature.

scottish-guy
May 15th, 2018, 07:02
Since I can't tell the difference between Good Boys, Nice Boys, or mostly any other Sunee bar in fact - I don't think I'd be much help!

Nirish guy
May 15th, 2018, 16:22
Well, you do of course have to actually VISIT pattaya to know such things !! :-) Sorry, couldn't resist and thought I'd just beat Minimee to it ! :)

Nirish guy
May 15th, 2018, 16:28
Moses - to follow on from the above - and I realise that I'm now pushing my luck :) but, what I was thinking / wondering was whether the function or capability exists to have something like the google maps search field entry box ( i.e the box where you type the and address of a premises or location) and that then opens a pop up window on the page then showing that location - simply for quick reference - with that either being posted on the top of threads or built in as a searchable button on the site to be used whenever someone wants to check the location of wherever is being discussed. That may not be possible within the confines of the site of course, but I'm just thinking that anything that saves anyone leaving the site to have to jump over to google maps and back again might be a good thing if doable ? Or I guess as you've already said perhaps just have option number 3 permanently available on the site as a viewable map, selectable by push button when required ? Just an idea - if not, no problem as google maps does of course provide that function for those that need it.

francois
May 15th, 2018, 16:30
I did read what Moses posted but have no idea what he said. I must be computer illiterate.

scottish-guy
May 15th, 2018, 18:39
It's not just you.

I often have to go to meetings in various parts of London and I have all but given up on Google Maps on my phone. It invariably sends me about 500m in the wrong direction before re-orienting itself to send me another 500m in the direction I've just come from (which still turns out to be incorrect)

You can't beat a paper map!

Moses
May 15th, 2018, 21:33
Moses - to follow on from the above - and I realise that I'm now pushing my luck :) but, what I was thinking / wondering was whether the function or capability exists to have something like the google maps search field entry box ( i.e the box where you type the and address of a premises or location) and that then opens a pop up window on the page then showing that location - simply for quick reference - with that either being posted on the top of threads or built in as a searchable button on the site to be used whenever someone wants to check the location of wherever is being discussed.

No, Google not allows such thing with their maps. Even these functions what I made yesterday - I made em with some tricks, and they are living "last days" of using for free. Since June 11 Google imposes payment for using their API. I use API for my sites and that cost me $200 monthly, here I just share some part of paid "page views", cuz I don't use all of them monthly. But if usage on my main sites will take more "page views", or "page views" here will take more than 30% of total - then I will make changes in map creation here (for example: maybe only Senior members will have possibility to create maps here, or I will keep only "communal" maps).

Nirish guy
May 16th, 2018, 01:28
Ah right Ok, I understood about half of that mind you - and not because of english - just more the technical aspect !

But ok, I think I get the idea, i.e that that's somehting that YOU would have to pay for now and that there simply just isn't enough page views to warrant the expense I think you're saying - and if that's the case then fair enough ! It was worth a try :)

Meanwhile anyone wanting to highlight a location via a map CAN still post a image of same with the location pinned to the map and post to the board as normal of course.

Moses
May 16th, 2018, 04:42
But ok, I think I get the idea, i.e that that's somehting that YOU would have to pay for now and that there simply just isn't enough page views to warrant the expense I think you're saying - and if that's the case then fair enough ! It was worth a try :)

Opposite: monthly I buy some quantity of "page views" or "impressions" of Goggle's maps and some other services on the pages of my sites. I can't buy less - it is "package". So I have some spare "impressions" what are unused at the end of each month. I just gave these "spare impressions" to Sawatdee. It is about 30% of the "package" what I have. But if Sawatdee will use more than I have for to share, or my sites will use more in future, then I will limit usage of "impressions" here - for to stay within limits of "package".

Nirish guy
May 16th, 2018, 06:50
Ahh right, ok, I get it now. Thanks

christianpfc
May 16th, 2018, 18:22
It's not just you.

I often have to go to meetings in various parts of London and I have all but given up on Google Maps on my phone. It invariably sends me about 500m in the wrong direction before re-orienting itself to send me another 500m in the direction I've just come from (which still turns out to be incorrect)

You can't beat a paper map!
Then there must be something wrong with the location given to you on google maps. Before I got my first smartphone in 2013, I did navigate with paper maps. But since I have googlemaps on my phone, I use this exclusively in the field.

Nonetheless I still buy paper maps, but use them only at home to see the greater picture.

The advantage of googlemaps is multiple: it shows you where you are and you can change the scale of the map and you can search for places.

scottish-guy
May 17th, 2018, 06:37
Agreed it shows you where you are - but the directions to get to where you want to be are just haywire in a built up area (in my experience)