PDA

View Full Version : GMX email addresses

Moses
May 13th, 2018, 17:37
Since June 1 forum will not allow to members to use GMX-based mail services (such as @gmx.de, @gmx.uk.co and so on). If your account is registered within such service, please change your email address to address from another mail provider (for example Gmail) before June 1. Thank you.

For curious members: there is incompatibility btw our mail-server and GMX-mail-servers, we cant resolve it on our side (software limitation) and GMX support refused to add manually our server's IP to exception. So for now users with gmx-based registration don't receive emails from forum, also new users can't confirm their emails. I will add GMX to the list of forbidden addresses from June 1.

scottish-guy
May 13th, 2018, 18:00
...users with gmx-based registration don't receive emails from forum..

Which would seem more of a benefit than a hindrance frankly

Moses
May 13th, 2018, 19:53
Which would seem more of a benefit than a hindrance frankly

Over 30 potential members didn't complete registration since they can't receive link for email confirmation to their mailboxes only for past 2 months, 5-7 members forgave passwords monthly, and these from GMX can't use reminder from forum or request new password - they don't receive emails. Do you still think it is "benefit"?

Any member who is bored with notification from forum can easy switch it off in account setting. There are a lot of functions to setup: what kind of notifications you want and don't want to receive and how often - even "once per month" exists.

I wrote warning only because there is only way to restrict registration from some mail-provider - to ban emails within that provider. And if I will do it - robots will auto-extend this ban to existing users. We have about 20 members who is registered here with GMX. And I don't want to lose them, but at the same time I can't write to them - my emails will be declined by GMX. That why I wrote warning here and moderators also wrote PM to them.

I hope somehow they will read that thread or their PMs at the next visit.

Tintin
May 13th, 2018, 22:39
I'm one of the members affected, as I use an email address from GMX. I can confirm that I got a private message from Jellybean today, telling me what is also stated here.

Now I wonder what the technical problem could be, as the email protocol is a long established standard, and I never heard of "incompatibilities" that prevent email servers from exchanging their mail traffic.

Anyway, I accept the decision of the owner and moderators. But I will probably not be able to provide an alternative address that quickly, as my existing addresses are with GMX, and setting up a new address with a new provider is cumbersome. So for the time being, I will probably not be able to retrieve a new password, if I should forget the old one.

cdnmatt
May 13th, 2018, 23:05
@tintin -- He means GMX black listed SGT server as spam server.

GMX won't let e-mails from this server through.

scottish-guy
May 14th, 2018, 02:41
...Over 30 potential members didn't complete registration since they can't receive link for email confirmation to their mailboxes only for past 2 months, 5-7 members forgave passwords monthly, and these from GMX can't use reminder from forum or request new password - they don't receive emails. Do you still think it is "benefit"?..

Is there any truth in the vicious rumour that's going around that you once laughed?

goji
May 14th, 2018, 04:16
setting up a new address with a new provider is cumbersome.
Setting up a new e-mail address is about 5 minutes work. I have about 5 currently.

Moses
May 14th, 2018, 04:31
@tintin -- He means GMX black listed SGT server as spam server.

GMX won't let e-mails from this server through.

missed... again...

GMX uses global spam-list, if they will black-list us, then all other big email-providers will black-list us all together at the same time...

next guess?

Moses
May 14th, 2018, 04:38
email protocol is a long established standard, and I never heard of "incompatibilities" that prevent email servers from exchanging their mail traffic

It was my "simplification" of explanation... For "technical geeks": we have problem with pointer record - PTR - and technical conditions don't allow to change situation on our side, and my exchange by emails with GMX at last 3 months didn't get results - they refused to exclude us from PTR check manually. I have no time for to move our server to another hoster, where is possible to create PTR, so I made decision to "exclude" GMX.