PDA

View Full Version : Jomtien vs Boystown

paborn
May 12th, 2018, 00:44
This may seem obvious to some; however, I have never made it over to either Jomtien or Sunee. From what I've been reading Sunee does not seem to be my cup of tea. But, I've read remarks about the other two areas that would indicate devotees for both. I know Boystown very well, so how does it differ from the bars of Jomtien?

sglad
May 12th, 2018, 00:48
I was only in Pattaya for two nights but if I remember correctly, Boyztown was more of show-bars and Jomtien just had regular, semi-open air bars with 'boys' available. Most of the 'boys' in Jomtien are Cambodian I think.

Moses
May 12th, 2018, 04:32
Jomtien Complex and Sunee aren't "zoo for straight tourists" - it is main difference. And, yes, JC hasn't go-go bars.

paborn
May 12th, 2018, 07:10
Jomtien Complex and Sunee aren't "zoo for straight tourists" - it is main difference. And, yes, JC hasn't go-go bars.

Moses, Do you mean that the bars in Jomtien complex do not have the busloads of chinese coming to gawk at our lives? Alos, I gather from your remark and others that Jomtien has the "host bar " style - but the guys are , evertheless, offable?

Davey612
May 12th, 2018, 07:40
Paborn, you are right. Since you are familiar with Boystown, think of Jomtien as one long row of small Panorama bars, with the main night show venue at the end of that street. Each bar has its own set of host guys, whom are offable. Guys at some of the bars are more aggressive at getting your attention. Others will just leave you alone. Khmer guys seem to have better command of English than Thais. No Chinese busloads because there is nothing to see unless they want to pay admission to the venue. I am sure they may feel uncomfortable walking the long street, with everyone staring at them. Besides, they have to come to Jomtien at night, which is usually not where their package hotels are located

arsenal
May 12th, 2018, 07:50
It's a gauntlet and many boys will try to 'drag' you into their bar and loads will say 'heelllooooooooooo'. It's great fun. Parties are often to be found there in the small hours. Great place for a late night off too.

Moses
May 12th, 2018, 12:47
Moses, Do you mean that the bars in Jomtien complex do not have the busloads of chinese coming to gawk at our lives? Alos, I gather from your remark and others that Jomtien has the "host bar " style - but the guys are , evertheless, offable?

exactly that...

Kenny
May 12th, 2018, 15:18
I think the Jomtien Complex area is a good option if you are planning more than just a short visit. There is a great choice of bars and some good, affordable massage shops as well. You also have Dongtan Beach nearby. Accommodation in the area is good value. My summer rental, in the condo below, comes in at 22 euros per night for a 1 bed apartment, for example.
The atmosphere is a bit more laid back than in the other areas and its very easy to meet people, both boys and fellow travelers, in the bars.
It's also quite handy to get to the other gay areas, Sunee and Boyztown, by Baht Bus or taxi, for a night out.
(photo from the Cocka2 Bar Facebook page)

francois
May 12th, 2018, 16:58
paborn, all three areas, Jomtien Complex, Boyztown and Sunee Plaza are worth while to visit. By not going to them, and relying on "what you read" is doing a disservice to yourself.

paborn
May 12th, 2018, 20:17
I think the Jomtien Complex area is a good option if you are planning more than just a short visit. There is a great choice of bars and some good, affordable massage shops as well. You also have Dongtan Beach nearby. Accommodation in the area is good value. My summer rental, in the condo below, comes in at 22 euros per night for a 1 bed apartment, for example.
The atmosphere is a bit more laid back than in the other areas and its very easy to meet people, both boys and fellow travelers, in the bars.
It's also quite handy to get to the other gay areas, Sunee and Boyztown, by Baht Bus or taxi, for a night out.
(photo from the Cocka2 Bar Facebook page)

Very helpful, but somehow I'm missing the name of the Condo.

paborn
May 12th, 2018, 20:20
paborn, all three areas, Jomtien Complex, Boyztown and Sunee Plaza are worth while to visit. By not going to them, and relying on "what you read" is doing a disservice to yourself.

You're right, of course, my issue has been getting from one area to another. But, I'm now reading that Taxi's are more readily available. If tha't true it changes all my issues.

paborn
May 12th, 2018, 20:23
It's a gauntlet and many boys will try to 'drag' you into their bar and loads will say 'heelllooooooooooo'. It's great fun. Parties are often to be found there in the small hours. Great place for a late night off too.

You just gave me an idea. Since I'm hearing that taxi's are more available I can short time off at Toy Boys and grab a cab to Jomtien - snack at Dick's and try for another. I'm so celibate at home I like to cram as much as possible - this may replace my short time followed by Ambience massage boy routine. Taxis are more available, right?

Kenny
May 12th, 2018, 20:38
Very helpful, but somehow I'm missing the name of the Condo.

Thanks Paborn. The condo is View Talay 2. I booked it through www.ntcondoproperties.com

DrewSpz
May 12th, 2018, 22:10
Paborn- download Uber app instead of using taxis. It’s about 3 times cheaper. I only use Uber when in Pattaya.

francois
May 12th, 2018, 23:22
I believe that Uber is finished in Pattaya? But recently used Grab and it was quick and excellent.

paborn
May 13th, 2018, 00:26
Paborn- download Uber app instead of using taxis. It’s about 3 times cheaper. I only use Uber when in Pattaya.

thanks!!! I had no idea it worked there!

paborn
May 13th, 2018, 00:58
All this is great information, one question please: when I read "Jomtien Complex" is the complex gay or is there a large complex of which the gay bars are a part. Whart do I say to the taxi/uber or other to get to the gay spot? I'm sure this is obvious to some but remember I have never been there.

gerefan2
May 13th, 2018, 01:17
Ask for Jomtien Complex. They all know it. Its totally gay.

goji
May 13th, 2018, 02:45
Although it's a few years ago, I made it to Boyztown, Sunnee & Jomtien all withing 48 hours of my first ever arrival in Pattaya.
It's a short walk from Boyztown to Sunnee, so it's very easy to visit bars in both in one evening.

I've tended to spend less time in Jomtien, simply because I prefer the gogo format & like to see the boys in underwear. Or sometimes minus the underwear.

However, with the deterioration of the gogo bar scene, it's getting to the point where there are more eligible cute lads sat in the Jomtien bars, so I should be spending more time there. Even if their boys are overdressed.

paborn
May 13th, 2018, 03:05
Fracois, Can you give a heads up as to how Grab works; I mean do you pre-load a credit card to facilitate pay; do you have to negotiate price? That sort of thing, many thanks

gerefan2
May 13th, 2018, 06:45
new thread please...

paborn
May 13th, 2018, 07:59
new thread please...

Sorry, but asking for clarity to a reply that is totally within the context of the thread should be reasonmable - starting a new one that would require a single answer is a waste of time and space, not to mention breaking the continuikty of the thought.

francois
May 13th, 2018, 11:58
Fracois, Can you give a heads up as to how Grab works; I mean do you pre-load a credit card to facilitate pay; do you have to negotiate price? That sort of thing, many thanks

I was at a restaurant with a group of friends none of whom had Grab on their smart phones. One of the group the downloaded the app; entered the restaurant name and then our destination, Sunee Plaza. Within seconds a response was received that the cost was 180 Baht and a car would arrive in two minutes.
The car did arrive in two minutes (it was a yellow/blue taxi) and off we went to the Plaza. Payment was in cash. As mentioned previously, Uber is no longer available in Pattaya according to what I have read.

You are here: Home / Pattaya Guides / Pattaya GrabTaxi App
Pattaya GrabTaxi App
UPDATED APRIL 19, 2018 BY DARREN C (BLOGDAZ)

The GrabTaxi App has made getting around Pattaya a whole lot more convenient and safe. It’s easy to use, and most importantly you know you’re not getting ripped off.

The GrabTaxi App shows your location and the location of the nearest taxis, simply tap in your desired destination, the app then tells you the distance and the estimated fare, confirm your booking and your done. I just downloaded the app myself and have gone through the booking process without actually confirming a booking. The app immediately showed me the nearest taxi and my location, after typing in my destination I was shown the distance and estimated fare. According to early reports this app has some obvious safety features, on confirming your booking it sends you a picture of the driver, his ID and license number, the driver will then call you back to confirm the booking.

Possible downsides of this app: You are not a Thai speaker and the taxi driver does not have a good command of English, hopefully though a mere confirmation should not be any drama. Pattaya meter taxis have previously been reluctant to use the meter, and prices estimated by the app are comparatively cheap. Only time will tell if Pattaya’s meter taxis are going to remain happy using this scheme. If they do it is a huge plus for commuters who were previously reluctant to use them.

GRAB THE APP: The following link contains downloads for all mobile operating systems: https://www.grab.com/th/en/. Don’t want to use the app !, you can still call a local Pattaya taxi service.

sglad
May 13th, 2018, 13:07
I was at a restaurant with a group of friends none of whom had Grab on their smart phones. One of the group the downloaded the app; entered the restaurant name and then our destination, Sunee Plaza. Within seconds a response was received that the cost was 180 Baht and a car would arrive in two minutes. The car did arrive in two minutes (it was a yellow/blue taxi) and off we went to the Plaza. Payment was in cash. As mentioned previously, Uber is no longer available in Pattaya according to what I have read. As mentioned previously, Uber is no longer available in Pattaya according to what I have read.

Uber ceased operations in SE Asia on 8 Apr 2018 after they sold up to Grab. Grab is now a virtual monopoly; their prices have gone up and they are no longer offering discounts like they used to when Uber was around. Still, they provide a convenient and valuable service which is cheaper than ordinary taxis.

You can set your default payment mode by card or by cash or switch around with every trip. It's not a problem.

gerefan2
May 14th, 2018, 00:50
I was at a restaurant with a group of friends none of whom had Grab on their smart phones. One of the group the downloaded the app; entered the restaurant name and then our destination, Sunee Plaza. Within seconds a response was received that the cost was 180 Baht and a car would arrive in two minutes.

[/I]

Where were you? How far for 180 Bt?

bucky13
May 14th, 2018, 01:10
Sorry, but asking for clarity to a reply that is totally within the context of the thread should be reasonmable - starting a new one that would require a single answer is a waste of time and space, not to mention breaking the continuikty of the thought.

paborn, you ask a LOT of questions that can be answered with a simple Google search.

paborn
May 14th, 2018, 04:48
paborn, you ask a LOT of questions that can be answered with a simple Google search.

I've discussed this before. I never heard of the app, hard to blindely search for something you have no inclination exists. Furthermore, the point of a discussion board is ask quest5ions, seek guidance and clarification. Perhaps, you might google search that!

paborn
May 14th, 2018, 04:52

By the way, ask more, post more than your once and you might understand!

francois
May 14th, 2018, 16:17
Where were you? How far for 180 Bt?

We were at Smokin Joes on Soi Lengkee and went to Sunee Plaza cost was 50 Baht each including a tip. Could have taken 4 motorbikes at 50 Baht each.

Oliver2
May 14th, 2018, 16:58
Further to Paborn's post, I thought that asking questions about Pattaya life was one of the major functions of this board. It's not the first time that reasonable queries have provoked unreasonable responses.

Jellybean
May 14th, 2018, 18:08

Firstly, bucky13, on behalf of the administration team, I offer you a warm welcome to Sawatdee Gay Thailand. As a new member you may not be aware, but there is no limit to the amount of questions members may ask. Whether other members choose to post an answer is another matter.

However, in this case I note that paborn has asked a series of legitimate questions and received very helpful answers from other members. And, as paborn has rightly pointed out, we are a discussion board and our members are encouraged to ask questions, seek guidance and clarification from other members.

I would encourage you to join in and hope you enjoy posting on our various forums.

DrewSpz
May 14th, 2018, 19:47
Actually this thread was VERY useful. I was in Pattaya in Feb and used Uber, so shocked to hear about it. I’ll doenload Grab now. Will help me for my upcoming trip in July. Thx

paborn
May 14th, 2018, 20:11
Yes, as soon as I heard I downloaded the app as well. Of course, as I'm in the US seeing functionality is rather limited, thuis the explanation is great. The only thning that has kept me from Jomtien visists has been transportation - this is fantastic.

Kenny
May 15th, 2018, 00:38
Just to mention that I don't use a taxi myself. Happy enough with the Baht bus, motorbike taxi or shank's mare.

You can hail a Baht bus outside the Jomtien Complex which will take you straight to Boystown for 10 Baht. They are very regular and you seldom have long to wait.

To get to Sunee Plaza get off the Baht bus in front of the VC Hotel and walk up the street to the right of the hotel (Pattaya Sai 2 Soi 17 or Soi VC). After 200 meters turn right into Sunee Plaza.

To get back to Jomtien from Boystown you have to walk south back up Pattaya Sai 2 until you come to a Baht bus rank on the left, there are no Baht buses heading south outside Boystown itself because of the one-way system. The Baht buses leave for Jomtien from the bus rank regularly.

To get from Boystown to Sunee Plaza it is a half mile or 10 minute walk south on Pattaya Sai 2 turning left at the VC Hotel and the Plaza is the first turn on the right.

To get directly from Jomtien to Sunee Plaza I find a motorbike taxi is best for a cost of 60 baht. Returning from Sunee on a motorbike taxi with a boy on the back can be quite a pleasant experience.