PDA

View Full Version : Oz Flights

July 24th, 2006, 09:27
Just some bits n pieces of info about flights and fares from Perth, Western Australia. I know that most of the posters on this board seem to be from North America and Europe (apart from the locals) but it may be of some benefit to anyone taking these flights.
I am planning on visiting Thailand in late October or early November and thought that I must be just about in high season regarding fares. However, I was surprised to find that there is a window period from 9 October - 16 November which is classed as low season. Thai flies 3 times week direct to BKK (7 hours) cost $AUD1000 including taxes, and I think that one of their flights arrives at the very civilised time of 9.00 am or thereabouts. Qantas does not fly direct to BKK, (via SIN) but airfares for this period are about $AUD800 return incl. taxes.(5 1/2 hour flight) Only drawback about Qantas is the stopover in SIN of about 4 hrs. JetstarAsia would be my option to BKK. Better Thai I think overall. Another option is Royal Brunei with a 5 hour stopover in Brunei for $AUD1000 - apparently u can take a bus tour during transit.
Yeah, Qantas - does not connect with anything much. Having said that, if I were flying to Cambodia, Qantas via SIN + Jetstar is about the only option (or via Hong Kong) for the same prices.
Also, with Thai, u can go via Phuket, but wouldn't use this option unless planning on having a stopover there - flight is about eleven hrs + with about two hours layover.

Cheers

lonelywombat
July 24th, 2006, 10:50
I am planning on visiting Thailand in late October or early November and thought that I must be just about in high season regarding fares. However, I was surprised to find that there is a window period from 9 October - 16 November which is classed as low season. Thai flies 3 times week direct to BKK (7 hours) cost $AUD1000 including taxes, and I think that one of their flights arrives at the very civili[sed time of 9.00 am or thereabouts.
Also, with Thai, u can go via Phuket, but wouldn't use this option unless planning on having a stopover there - flight is about eleven hrs + with about two hours layover.

Cheers

I think you are using Thai fares from their web page You can improve on those fares with cut price travel agencies like Flight Centre. Shop around.

Not sure of the Phuket leg, it was cancelled from Melbourne a few months back. Not enough traffic.

lonelywombat
July 24th, 2006, 14:07
For the direct non stop flights to Bangkok you need to get in early

The flights you want are

TG998 Tues and Sunday only, non stop 16.50 arr 22.50 7 hours flight time

the return flights you have 2 choices

TG997 Tues and Sunday, non stop 07.55 arr 15.40

TG985 Thurs and Friday, non stop 23.55 arr 07.40

Now ask the cut price agents to quote you those flights.

The early morning arrivals into BKK are the one stop in Phuket

July 24th, 2006, 16:47
Thanks for the feedback.

I have the info on the Thai flights thanks. I think that arriving at 0715 am and then off to Pattaya is the way to go. I just knock myself out and sleep (yeah, in economy). Have no desire to spend anytime more than necessary in BKK.
With regard to the airfares - the cheapest Thai has offered lately has been in low season from anywhere between AUD$794.00 - 894 excluding taxes, and these are around AUD$200, so I reckon that there would be no change from $1000. The fully flexible fare is about AUD$1494.00 inclusive. Maybe the only way to get cheaper is on a package deal with accommodation for about 3 nights in BKK, but this is based on twin share and is not an option for me.
Specials through Thais website are not published until nearer the season change. I have found that trying to book any more than three months ahead is virtually impossible.
With regard to cut-price agents including Flight Centre, I would be surprised if there is anything cheaper for the time period specified that would be available, but I would like to be proved wrong. Interesting though - local agents must think asian discount airlines are a dirty word - never mentioned in public.
The Phuket leg is still operating ex Perth.

Its a pity upside down tickets are not available anymore. (Gawd, now I'm aging myself). Y'know, in the days before the airlines didn't own each other, limited codeshare, terrorism and inflating fuel prices. Used to be able to purchase a cheap virtually open return ticket in BKK say from BKK-SYD-BKK, and use it at a later date upside down, i.e. SYD-BKK-SYD.
up to 50% off, (Sigh) and yes, it was post decimal currency, and Harry's in BKK was jumping. Cathay and SIA used to do it from memory until Qantarse got all antsy about it.

One thing about Thai - youre in Thailand when u step on the aircraft.

July 24th, 2006, 16:57
It would be great to hear from anyone buying the Oz tickets in the opposite direction (BKK-SYD-BKK)...

Does anyone know of a good Thailand-based travel agent who posts prices on the web?

lonelywombat
July 24th, 2006, 18:26
Thanks for the feedback.

I have the info on the Thai flights thanks. I think that arriving at 0715 am and then off to Pattaya is the way to go. I just knock myself out and sleep (yeah, in economy). Have no desire to spend anytime more than necessary in BKK.

I am having difficulty in getting a flight number for non stop arriving at 0715. Allow 3 hours from touch down to arrival.

I agree that to skip meals and grog is the only way to go when you are on a short trip.

You will arrive if you have a taxi to meet you around mid morning. In the past when I have done this all night trip I have found my room is not vacant and if I have not booked an extra night, I have to kill time wen I want to sleep.

I could not imagine a worse flight to start my holidays on. You still have time to look for a different flight time.

it will be worth it if you can make the change.

July 25th, 2006, 10:44
I just booked a return ticket on Qantas SIN-PER-SIN for 760 singa dollars (637 AUD, 258 GBP). For another 4,000 baht (140 AUD, 55 GBP) I got a return BKK-SIN-BKK on Air asia. I like singapore and will have a stopover there, so this is a good deal (I'm flying over the peak Christma/new year period). If you don't want a stopover it wouldn't be so good - either a long wait in SIN or the risk of missing your connecting flight if there's a delay on either Air asia or Qantas.

Incidentally, you can make the booking direct via the Qantas singapore site.