PDA

View Full Version : November, 2018 First gay marriages to occur in Thailand: Well aboard ship that is

Captain
May 5th, 2018, 06:05
If you follow the subject of gay marriage in Thailand you might be interested to learn of a new law in Bermuda. See, must of those big giant cruise ships are flagged in Bermuda. This means Bermuda law applies to what goes on aboard the ship.

Beginning November 2018 Bermuda cruise ships will allow same-sex marriages to occur on board.

This means when a cruise ship docks in Thailand any two same-sex residents of Thailand can simply get on board and get married. Of course you have to pay for the service.

Further, until gay marriages are recognized in Thailand, that marriage will only be recognized by countries around the world that:

A. Recognize a marriage that takes place in Bermuda (that is most countries)
B. Recognizes that two same-sex individuals can get married.

I created a website to try and keep track of this.

http://www.gaymarriagethailand.com/

I also made a Facebook page

https://web.facebook.com/Gay-marriage-Thailand-196108174523011/

Captain

So which SE Asia country will be first to legalize gay marriage completely.
Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, Vietnam, or Singapore

scottish-guy
May 5th, 2018, 12:59
Well it's hardly likely to be Singapore is it - considering they'll have to get over the small matter of it being illegal for 2 guys to have a shag first, never mind getting married.

Which is one reason I've never visited Singapore - not that I'm afraid of their law in that respect, just that I refuse to contribute financially to supporting such a regime.

sglad
May 5th, 2018, 14:22
Well it's hardly likely to be Singapore is it - considering they'll have to get over the small matter of it being illegal for 2 guys to have a shag first, never mind getting married.

Which is one reason I've never visited Singapore - not that I'm afraid of their law in that respect, just that I refuse to contribute financially to supporting such a regime.

Ouch! You should blame yourself and arsenal for this! :)) We inherited those laws from the British via the Indian Penal Code which was drafted at the height of Empire and Victorianism. Of course, plenty of argument has been made as to why those laws should be repealed.

We may not be the first to recognise and allow gay marriage but you can bet your ass that when we do, it will be the clearest and fairest in terms of its legal ramifications.

You might be missing out by not visiting Singapore. Fountainhole has claimed several times on these message boards that our guys are knocking on his door every five minutes to fuck his dusty ass when he's here; now he wouldn't lie, would he?

dinagam
May 5th, 2018, 14:52
Are Singaporean guys really that indiscriminating?

Captain
May 5th, 2018, 15:10
I am tempted to comment on Thai versus Singapore guys, however, want to keep the discussion on track regarding the changing political and legal environment.

sglad
May 5th, 2018, 15:44
So which SE Asia country will be first to legalize gay marriage completely.
Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, Vietnam, or Singapore

Taiwan is not in Southeast Asia. But I think they've made the biggest progress in terms of legalising same-sex marriage in this region.

a447
May 5th, 2018, 15:46
My guess is Vietnam.

Nirish guy
May 5th, 2018, 16:45
Alas the OP on this post may have to delay any wedding plans as Bermuda have now most annoyingly RE- BANNED gay marriage again ! This also then in effect bans ALL ships ( and a ton of the worlds cruise ships !) from carrying out gay marriage ceremonies on board their ships ( ie ships that are registered under the Bermudian flag). Needless to say this is the Christian ( rarely) right at their work again. Gat couples are being actively urged to boycott the the Cruise companies who are choosing to remain under the Bermudian flag in protest at the Bermudian Governments position. The matter is as yet unresolved.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/03/05/cruise-ship-industry-urged-to-leave-bermuda-after-equal-marriage-abolition/

sglad
May 5th, 2018, 21:58
Alas the OP on this post may have to delay any wedding plans as Bermuda have now most annoyingly RE- BANNED gay marriage again ! This also then in effect bans ALL ships ( and a ton of the worlds cruise ships !) from carrying out gay marriage ceremonies on board their ships ( ie ships that are registered under the Bermudian flag).

Oops! There goes the business plan.

scottish-guy
May 5th, 2018, 23:41
My guess is Vietnam.

Gay guys can already get married in Vietnam - it just means nothing legally - so they are part of the way there and you may be correct

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 02:10
Gay guys can already get married in Vietnam - it just means nothing legally - so they are part of the way there and you may be correct

?? So.......but then they're NOT actually married then surely, they're just two people standing in a room randomly saying "i do" to each other for no particular reason other how it makes them feel emotionally towards each other - but they still AREN'T married - a bit like Matt and his BF who he insists on calling his husband for no obvious reason as they are married either apparently ! Or am I missing something ( about vietnam I mean )

bobsaigon2
May 6th, 2018, 04:55
SG said: Gay guys can already get married in Vietnam - it just means nothing legally.

Which means that they can now cohabit and have both their names on the official Family (Household) Registration Book, something that was not possible in the past. It also means they can have a "wedding" reception with their names on the board outside the venue. That also was not possible before. But, as was noted, all of this means nothing legally. A gay couple still cannot have both names on a marriage certificate.

I've been living in Saigon for the past 18 years, following this matter. I'll let you know when there is any breaking news about it.