PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Cafe

paborn
May 5th, 2018, 03:24
Another forum has a discussion of the closing of Dick's Bangkok location. Confirmed on Dick's website. I haven't seen anything here; any word on the move?

Smiles
May 5th, 2018, 03:57
Apparently Dick's Bangkok restaurant is moving out of Soi Twilight ... today [May 5] in fact. Doesn't say to 'where' on this webpage. http://www.dickscafe.com/bangkok/index.html
Dick's Jomtien restaurant seems as if it is staying put. http://www.dickscafe.com/jomtien/index.html

Nirish guy
May 5th, 2018, 04:25
I'm devasated, that was my main eating hole for simple stuff - and they did the best milkshake in town too :-( ( IMHO Moses !) :)

paborn
May 5th, 2018, 07:14
I'm devasated, that was my main eating hole for simple stuff - and they did the best milkshake in town too :-( ( IMHO Moses !) :)

it's where I planted myself to watch the guys go to work and floow the best! My eagle's nest

Oliver2
May 5th, 2018, 14:44
Undoubtedly the best view in the soi. And decent food,too. A couple of the waiters have been there for years: I hope they are being looked-after better than loyal staff at Tarntawan.

werner
May 5th, 2018, 18:28
Undoubtedly the best view in the soi. And decent food,too. A couple of the waiters have been there for years: I hope they are being looked-after better than loyal staff at Tarntawan.

And I hope all the owners of the venues take good care of their staff. Several of the captains at Dream Boys must have been working for the owner for more than 20 years...at least one started as a go-go boy at the older Barbiary [spelling?-Barbiery? the older version of the bar]

paborn
May 5th, 2018, 21:48
And I hope all the owners of the venues take good care of their staff. Several of the captains at Dream Boys must have been working for the owner for more than 20 years...at least one started as a go-go boy at the older Barbiary [spelling?-Barbiery? the older version of the bar]
yes, he was a great Go Go boy and a very nice man. Barbiery is still my gold standard of what a bar should be like - although Dreamboys 10 years ago was almost a mirror image of the old Barbiery

paborn
May 6th, 2018, 08:02
i was reading "gay thailand" and some posters there seem to think that Dicks is still open. Of course, their own website notes that they are closed. But, people in BKK now seem to dispute that - although they were damnably vauge.

Patanawet
May 6th, 2018, 14:45
i was reading "gay thailand" and some posters there seem to think that Dicks is still open. Of course, their own website notes that they are closed. But, people in BKK now seem to dispute that - although they were damnably vauge.

Dick's WAS open for it's final night last night (Saturday). Lukas was there.

scottish-guy
May 6th, 2018, 17:32
Is that Lukas as in the famous Tarntawan Lukas?

We don't hear much about the Tarntawan these days - we should have more threads on it.

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 17:43
Is that Lukas as in the famous Tarntawan Lukas? We don't hear much about the Tarntawan these days - we should have more threads on it.

I hear it changed hands a while back, does anyone have any info on that ?

* You'll be sorry you posted that SG, we'll doubly sicken you all over again !!! :-)

Oliver2
May 6th, 2018, 17:43
Nil desperandum, Scottish. I'll be there in three weeks and I promise a report so long and detailed that it will be rewarded with an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 17:52
Dont forget to check on the chocolate bar situation as that really is all that matters when it comes to Tarntawan reports of course !!

a447
May 6th, 2018, 17:55
Nirish, you'll be happy to know that the chocolate bar you love so much is still a feature of the hotel.

I found one in the fridge, lurking amongst the Leo.

Unfortunately, it had melted as the fridge in my upmarket "Superior Luxury Gentlemen's Executive Suite" was fucked.

scottish-guy
May 6th, 2018, 18:32
...a report so long and detailed that it will be rewarded with an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.

I look forward to your entry

And I'm sure a number of Thai boys have expressed similar anticipation over the years.

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 18:33
the fridge in my upmarket "Superior Luxury Gentlemen's Executive Suite" was fucked.

My god man is there no level to which you will not stoop !! Disgraceful behaviour ! I hope you at least unplugged it first and wiped it down with a cloth when you were finished ! :) EWWWW I'll maybe have to avoid that chocolate in the future if THAT'S what's happening to their fridges ! Na......I'd still eat it anyway, who am I kidding !

scottish-guy
May 6th, 2018, 18:33
... the fridge in my upmarket "Superior Luxury Gentlemen's Executive Suite" was fucked.

Not just the fridge.

:p

scottish-guy
May 6th, 2018, 18:35
Damn it NIrish, you're too quick (no pun intended)

I heard a447 occassionaly puts his melon balls in the fridge but that may just be an rumour and an exaggeration!

Oh, the banter!!

a447
May 6th, 2018, 18:42
My nuts, SG. My nuts.

newalaan2
May 8th, 2018, 17:10
Is that Lukas as in the famous Tarntawan Lukas? We don't hear much about the Tarntawan these days - we should have more threads on it.

Received an email from Lukas in which he confirmed the closure of Dicks and that all the equipment is in storage until the new premises are ready. Have booked to stay at his Tarntawan Apartments again next month and did on occasion 'take out' food from the main menu at Dicks to take back to apartment last visit, so hope the new 'Dicks' is up and running by then. No confirmation of location or time scale for new premises. Will definitely miss it next visit. Looks like a de-camp to Hotmale 2 is on the cards.

As for the Tarntawan Hotel.......well! I think there has been more than enough forum time spent on this hotel, far too many threads and posts than was necessary for a simple stand-alone hotel. I really don't understand what all the fuss was about. I personally made little mention and very light reference to the place during my 18 years of patronage. The repeated minute details of the rooms were starting to get tiresome. Thankfully MFAS and Scottish-guy seem to have been able to deal with their Tarntawan obsession since many of the threads were bumped by them and kept running due to their continual reference to it.

paborn
May 8th, 2018, 19:40
Received an email from Lukas in which he confirmed the closure of Dicks and that all the equipment is in storage until the new premises are ready. Have booked to stay at his Tarntawan Apartments again next month and did on occasion 'take out' food from the main menu at Dicks to take back to apartment last visit, so hope the new 'Dicks' is up and running by then. No confirmation of location or time scale for new premises. Will definitely miss it next visit. Looks like a de-camp to Hotmale 2 is on the cards.

As for the Tarntawan Hotel.......well! I think there has been more than enough forum time spent on this hotel, far too many threads and posts than was necessary for a simple stand-alone hotel. I really don't understand what all the fuss was about. I personally made little mention and very light reference to the place during my 18 years of patronage. The repeated minute details of the rooms were starting to get tiresome. Thankfully MFAS and Scottish-guy seem to have been able to deal with their Tarntawan obsession since many of the threads were bumped by them and kept running due to their continual reference to it.
I , for one, have never stayed there and really want a hotel that understands our clientel. On my reponse to one thread I said, I worry about Patpong area hotels in fear that they will be "aggressively sraight." I was mocked for that but in Latin America it is totally possible to find a hotel that is more than gracious to female hookers but will stop you cold if you enter with a male native - any age - any time of day. I'm leaning toward the Tarntawan, but can you tell me something about the apartments? I don't even know where the place is. Is it close enough to the Tartawan to breakfast there?