PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants

paborn
April 17th, 2018, 02:26
Well, posting here is always an adventure - say something and see where it goes - what flights of fancy are born......

I'm hoping this one is simple. I noted that my health is recovering and I'm planning a return to Pattaya. On my last trip, when I was actually ill, I hate evrery meal - 3 a day - in the ambiance. This year I'd hope to be a bit more mobile but wouild like some restaurant recommendations near the Ambiance. No more than a few blocks, say 3 to 4 away. I love just about anything - Indian, Thai, Italian, French, German, etc. Just some nice places you might recommend a friend.

gerefan2
April 17th, 2018, 03:25
Lewinski Hotel, (they do all sorts) and the Italian restaurant next door, Casa Fellini.
Both on the same Soi 13/3, two up from Boyztown. Same Soi as Kawaii Bar.
Go past Panorama and cut through. 5 mins walk maximum.

paborn
April 17th, 2018, 03:45
Thanks so much, The Lewinski I've never heard of - can you point me there?

Rolling Stone
April 17th, 2018, 03:46
Shakariki 432 (Japanese) on the other side of 2nd road across boyztown.

gerefan2
April 17th, 2018, 04:07
http://pattayadailynews.com/announcing-lewinski%E2%80%99s-low-cost-buffet-dinner-in-pattaya/

Look there for an overview and the I suggest you go to any of the Hotel booking sites, like TripAdvisor, for a map.

Or, from the Ambiance Hotel walk down to Panorama, and follow the road round to the right and you will come to the next Road (130 metres). Cross it and you will find another small soi opposite. Go down there, (30 metres) and you will come to another road.

Lewinski Hotel is diagonally opposite to your left. Total distance about 200 metres max.

arsenal
April 17th, 2018, 06:05
I've only eaten there once but the Indian restaurant across the road from Boyztown was very nice. I posted about it here somewhere. I cant remember the name I'm afraid.

arsenal
April 17th, 2018, 06:51
Also, the metal chairs restaurant that is located on Second Raod between two Boyztown sois is excellent. It might prove particularly useful if you're not feeling 100 per cent. They have loads of smaller meals that are delicious and cost about 40-50 baht. The crispy pork with red sauce is a regular early hours snack. Crispy pork belly, rice, red sauce, boiled eggs, cucumber and a peppery broth, all for 45 baht.

StevieWonders
April 17th, 2018, 07:19
I've only eaten there once but the Indian restaurant across the road from Boyztown was very nice. I posted about it here somewhere. I cant remember the name I'm afraid.

Why is it that most Thais refuse to eat in Indian restaurants?

francois
April 17th, 2018, 11:20
Thais don't seem to like Indian food or Mexican food for whatever reason.

francois
April 17th, 2018, 11:24
Thanks so much, The Lewinski I've never heard of - can you point me there?

As stated, it is on same soi as X boys, Kawaii, and Dream Boys. You can google for a map.

francois
April 17th, 2018, 11:26

It was named Indigo however they changed the name. Good food.

cdnmatt
April 17th, 2018, 12:58
Thais don't seem to like Indian food or Mexican food for whatever reason.

Many Thais don't seem to like any food except Thai food.

francois
April 17th, 2018, 13:34
And many Westerners don't seem to like any food except Western food.

francois
April 17th, 2018, 13:39
Here is a list of some of the restaurants near Boyztown.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g293919-d10104682-Boyztown-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Andaman!
April 17th, 2018, 14:32
Lewinski Hotel, (they do all sorts).

.........presumably including a complementary Blowjob which is not deemed to be “sexual relations”?

arsenal
April 17th, 2018, 15:13
I don't really understand the idea of not liking a particular genre of food. Almost all nations have a wide variety of dishes. As for Thais not liking 'western food'. I suspect they're referring to McDonald's or some cheap 'n' cheerful 'all you can eat' buffet a farang has frogmarched them to.

francois
April 17th, 2018, 16:39
'. I suspect they're referring to McDonald's or some cheap 'n' cheerful 'all you can eat' buffet a farang has frogmarched them to.

Such is not the case, arsenal. Some Thai guys just have an aversion for Western style food or, maybe it is, they are afraid to try it? On the other hand, my Thai bf and some other Thais I know, love, or a least try, Western food. In my bf's case, the more expensive the food the more he enjoys it! Except for Mexican and Indian food.:bo:

a447
April 17th, 2018, 18:16
When I take a guy out to dinner the choice of restaurant is always left to him.

The good thing about that is I know he will enjoy the food. The bad part is that sometimes I find myself eating in Sizzler. Yuk!

The most popular choices are any steak restaurant, MK, a seafood place on Walking Street and Fuji Japanese.

paborn
April 17th, 2018, 19:05
I'm seeing something in adresses that is new to me. I understand soi and sub soi and get aroung well. But I'm seeing "moo" like moo 10 soi whatever. What is this?

gerefan2
April 17th, 2018, 20:01
A main road is called a Sai like Sai Song (2rd road) or Sai Sarm (3nd road).
A Soi as a small street off that main road.
A Moo is an even smaller street off a Soi.

So Moo10 is the 10th smaller street of a Soi, which is usually named. For example Soi17, Moo10.

Spelling not accurate...but that's how I pronounce it.

Rolling Stone
April 17th, 2018, 20:11
Also, the metal chairs restaurant that is located on Second Raod between two Boyztown sois is excellent. It might prove particularly useful if you're not feeling 100 per cent. They have loads of smaller meals that are delicious and cost about 40-50 baht. The crispy pork with red sauce is a regular early hours snack. Crispy pork belly, rice, red sauce, boiled eggs, cucumber and a peppery broth, all for 45 baht.

This is a Chinese food outlet. Agree the food is good and opens till late (wee hours).

I can also recommend Nam Sing (outside Royal Garden Plaza on 2nd road). Shark's fins are reasonably priced and delicious.

Food wave (on 3rd floor of Royal Garden Plaza) has many 'genres', Thai, Italian, Indian, Chinese, etc.

cdnmatt
April 17th, 2018, 20:23
I'm hoping "Shark's Fins" is the name of a restaurant?

Please don't tell me you actually eat shark fins. If you do, then I really hope you're aware of the cruelty that goes into obtaining those fins.

paborn
April 17th, 2018, 21:10
Thanks! I have been calling those a sub soi for years, of course there would be a thai word for that - Duh!

arsenal
April 17th, 2018, 23:05
I'm not sure it's Chinese Rolling Stone. The food is mainly Thai. On ocassions they do the vegetable chucky thing which can be entertaining.

gerefan2
April 17th, 2018, 23:43
The name of this Chinese (?) Restaurant with the tin chairs which you are talking about is Pakbung Loy Fah.

Not easily remembered as we have seen, so commonly known by some as the Tin/Metal Chairs!

A word of caution if you eat here. They add a Service Charge to the bill and I have had some of the waiters getting pushy for a tip.

mahjongguy
April 18th, 2018, 08:20
"A Moo is an even smaller street off a Soi."

Sorry, no. A moo is a sub-division within a tambon. Example: XX/XX, Moo 12 of Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi. House number, sub-division, sub-district, district, province.

A sub-soi, usually numbered with a slash, like Saladaeng Soi 1/1, is a trok (ตรอก) but many people would just say soi.

Captain Swing
April 19th, 2018, 04:28
Are any of the seafood restaurants on Walking Street any good? I know they're touristy, but sometimes I feel like acting like a tourist (I am one of course, but I have been to Thailand many times). How about the Pattaya Beer Garden, near the beginning of Walking Street? I think it's a place to pick up girls, but supposedly the food is good and inexpensive and the view of the water nice. Would I feel uncomfortable going there with a boy? Would he be uncomfortable? Grateful for any informed opinions.

gerefan2
April 19th, 2018, 04:59
I’ve been there with B/F it’s no problem. The views good, the drinks are ok. But you have to get there early to get a table.
I didn’t eat.

cdnmatt
April 19th, 2018, 05:11
This was nearly a decade ago, but I went to the Beer Garden with Kim lots, and never a problem. I can't remember eating there, but maybe we did. I think we usually just had some beers and shot pool.

No problems at all with the straight crowd though, at least not that I can remember.

a447
April 19th, 2018, 07:46
I've been to a large seafood restaurant in Walking Street on the right hand side as you approach from Boyztown. My "friend" likes to eat there. You sit outside and have a wonderful views over the ocean. We've been there a number of times and the were lots of farsng/Thai "couples." Not a problem.

I usually stay away from seafood when I travel, especially in Asia, but this place is very popular with tourists so I figured it would be ok.

There is an enormous choice of dishes and is reasonably priced, but the lobster is way over-priced as it is aimed at the Chinese market.

Watch out for Chinese tour groups - they arrive there in large numbers and can be very loud. One night there was a huge commotion as a Chinese "superstar" arrived with his entourage and a camera crew. It was total mayhem as all the tourists crowded around to get their selfies with him. It was unbearable.

If I remember correctly the tour buses arrive around 7pm so if you avoid that time you'll have an enjoyable experience.

Rolling Stone
April 22nd, 2018, 16:49
I'm hoping "Shark's Fins" is the name of a restaurant?

Please don't tell me you actually eat shark fins. If you do, then I really hope you're aware of the cruelty that goes into obtaining those fins.

The name of the restaurant is Nam Sing as stated.

Rolling Stone
April 22nd, 2018, 16:52
There are 'numberous' sea food joints on walking street. Food are OK to good perhaps more pricy as they target tourists.

Oliver2
April 22nd, 2018, 17:05
Nam Sing seems more directly aimed at the Chinese market although the shark-fin issue means I'd never eat there. The Walking Street ones (I've only eaten in a couple and that was sometime ago) appear to be generic falang-Thai places.

Brad the Impala
April 22nd, 2018, 18:34
Is Nang Nual still going strong? Having started life originally on the landward side of Walking Street, it was the first to invest and expand substantially on to the seaward side, with their huge balcony. The young and efficient waiters in their nautical attire were part of the attraction, along with the sea view and good food, and it was great for groups of friends or romantic dinners.

Seeing it's success others followed in expanding, and moving to the seaward side, but I never felt that they had the flair and ambiance of Nang Nual.

sglad
April 27th, 2018, 20:53
"A Moo is an even smaller street off a Soi."

Sorry, no. A moo is a sub-division within a tambon. Example: XX/XX, Moo 12 of Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi. House number, sub-division, sub-district, district, province.

Not quite. Moo is simply short for mooban or village. You'll find that Thais still use the term mooban when talking about where they live even though they live in a townhouse in a swanky housing estate as that's how houses have been traditionally grouped. Indeed it's how life itself was traditionally organised and still is in many parts of the country. I think it might be a little different Bangkok, for example, they use ked or zone there instead of amphur or district.

mahjongguy
April 28th, 2018, 11:42
" Moo is simply short for mooban or village. You'll find that Thais still use the term mooban when talking about where they live even though they live in a townhouse in a swanky housing estate as that's how houses have been traditionally grouped. Indeed it's how life itself was traditionally organised and still is in many parts of the country. I think it might be a little different Bangkok, for example, they use ked or zone there instead of amphur or district. "

My reply to the original misstatement about "moo" was crafted by my Thai partner, who has lived in a tiny Issan village, in Bangkok, and in Pattaya. Yes, he mentioned that "Moo" is the same word that forms "moo baan" but in addresses it means a sub-division of a sub-district. It does not indicate a neighborhood or area within which there is any commonality. Just a carving out of the map, primarily for postal purposes. Pattaya seems to only have 13 moo.

And yes, as always, size does matter. Bangkok is huge and complicated, so trok is used to clearly indicate a sub-soi. In Pattaya, which doesn't even have many sub-sois, it seems like soi 13 and 13/1 are both just called "soi" by Thai people.

cdnmatt
April 28th, 2018, 12:22
Basically, moo-baan = village.

In the cities, it means sub-division.

It's just in Thailand, sub-divions work a little differently than out West. It's a community, there's some family run mom & pop shops around, everyone knows each other, everyone generally gets along if for no other reason than for the betterment of the "boo-baan" / village / sub0division, and so on.

Little different from the West, where apparently, you have to plan a coffee date with your neighbor or even own brother three days in advance.

scottish-guy
April 28th, 2018, 14:08
The poster asking about "Moo" has certainly brought his enquiry to the right place.

Let's face it - if he's going to get a definitive answer it's bound to come from some old Cow.

:yahoo_mini:

a447
April 28th, 2018, 15:50
Some people here are milking this for all it's worth!

Over to you!

I think a local Thai would be better placed to explain the term "moo."

francois
April 28th, 2018, 16:04
Regarding restaurants, Indigo, an Indian restaurant on Second Road across from Boyztown, has reopened. Directly next to Indigo is another Indian restaurant and both seemed to share a common interest.
I dined at Indigo last evening and it was very good.

scottish-guy
April 28th, 2018, 16:47
Some people here are milking this for all it's worth!"

Yes, it's an udder disgrace

:yahoo_mini:

a447
April 28th, 2018, 16:54
!!

christianpfc
April 30th, 2018, 16:38
"หมู่ mòo" means "group", and in addresses is abbreviation for "moo baan" = "group of houses", or we would say hamlet.

The same "moo" is in "sek moo" = "group sex".

Whereas "หมู mŏo" is pig or pork (same name for the animal and the meet in Thai).

francois
April 30th, 2018, 18:00
Whereas "หมู mŏo" is pig or pork (same name for the animal and the meet in Thai).

Meat,not meet.555