View Full Version : Robin Hood Tavern

Blacktouch
April 13th, 2018, 18:20
Has anybody eaten at Robin Hood Tavern (near Boyz Town) before?

They do a daily carvery as well as other dishes.

Carvery meal
Plated dinner 199 Baht.
All you can eat 279 Baht.

Will try it out on my next trip to Pattaya.

francois
April 13th, 2018, 18:34
I do know of some folks (mostly from UK) that enjoy the Sunday Carvery (395 TB).
Have not tried it myself.

Blacktouch
April 13th, 2018, 18:53
I do know of some folks (mostly from UK) that enjoy the Sunday Carvery (395 TB).
Have not tried it myself.

I see they advertise the carvery for 279 Baht (All you can eat) unless it's an old advertisement?

Or is this just a week day price?

Blacktouch
April 13th, 2018, 18:58
Ok it's new pricing. Seem interesting!

"Carveries now every day!

From Monday 19th March we will be serving fresh daily Carveries from only 199 baht plated and 279 baht all you can eat, 4 meats available every day and 5 on Sunday.
Available from 4pm-9pm Monday to Saturday and we will still be doing our 3 course carvery on Sunday from 12pm-9pm.

Carveries are no longer just for Sunday’s in Robin Hood."

francois
April 13th, 2018, 19:21
Website says Sunday Carvery is 395 TB.

Jellybean
April 13th, 2018, 19:55
Crikey! Some of the customers look a bit rough. I suspect if I forwarded the customer photo to the Ministry of Justice they might be able to identity some escaped prisoners on the run and begin extradition proceedings.

The Friar Tuck’s Breakfast Buffet at 249 Baht looks slightly expensive, well compared with the Deli Dinner, but possibly worth a try. And I see they do black pudding. Mmmm . . . yummy, I’ve not had black pudding for years! But it’s a breakfast I could probably have just the once, that is if I wanted to avoid looking like Friar Tuck!

Normally, I leave Pattaya for Bangkok early on a Sunday morning to avoid the worst of the traffic and would therefore miss their Sunday carvery. But I see, by popular demand, it has been extended to a Daily Carvery. I do enjoy a carvery, but only once in a blue moon. And while I am in Thailand, I do tend to watch my weight more than usual, so I shall most likely avoid eating at the Robin Hood Tavern. Pity, because some of the food looks quite appetising.

www.robinhoodpattaya.com

Blacktouch
April 13th, 2018, 20:06
Website says Sunday Carvery is 395 TB.

Yes you are correct. The Sunday Carvery is a 3 course meal at 395 baht.

Blacktouch
April 13th, 2018, 20:18
Two friends of mines when in Pattaya use to eat at Palmers every Sunday, for their Sunday dinner, then pop over to Boyz Town after.

Since Palmers has closed down, they have eaten at Robin Hood twice and have just informed me it's one of the best meals they have had, giving it 10 out of 10. And one of them is very fussy about his meals.

francois
April 13th, 2018, 23:58
May be the same ones I know who were devotees of Palmers on Sunday until it closed.

Blacktouch
April 14th, 2018, 04:16
May be the same ones I know who were devotees of Palmers on Sunday until it closed.

Do you know their names?

cdnmatt
April 14th, 2018, 05:15
A carvery? Is it still 1995?

Not a chance I'm showing up at a carvery until I'm old enough to have to drink my meat.

lonelywombat
April 14th, 2018, 09:37
Unsure of the location of Robin Hood tavern.
I too was a regular at Palmers right across the road from Neals place. That is how I met Neal, he used to sit out the front and accost guys walking by.
But diagonally opposite Palmers bar, backing onto the rear of Ambience, was a rather (then) uncouth place which banned Thai males from eating or drinking there.
I have avoided the place and when passing have noticed all the patrons still, are European males only

arsenal
April 14th, 2018, 10:31
I shall try to visit next time I'm in Pattaya and then post a review here complete with a few photographs.

francois
April 14th, 2018, 13:06
Do you know their names?

Only one I know is Chris from UK.

francois
April 14th, 2018, 13:16
Unsure of the location of Robin Hood tavern.

Located on 2nd floor of the Avenue. The Avenue is a shopping center on 2nd Road across from Royal Garden area; it houses Villa Market and Major Cineplex.

Blacktouch
April 14th, 2018, 13:36
Only one I know is Chris from UK.

Its not the same person.

catawampuscat
April 14th, 2018, 14:27
I’ve been to Robin Hood twice and thought the food was fine, amble portions and tasty.
However, it’s a British sports bar with an entirely straight crowd. Live music both times I went and very loud
and crowded. Female waitresses.

lonelywombat
April 14th, 2018, 14:40
I assumed it almost in Boyztown, saw the link to Palmers and thought that was the bar I referred to.
I googled to find more detail.Looks most impressive.
Friend had roast at Maggs last weekend and says that was outstanding.
Two places to try next trip

lonelywombat
April 14th, 2018, 14:47
Re catawampus post 2 above
Similar I was persuaded to go to Frasiers for a roast dinner. Same problem Sports bar mainly boozed expats and did not enjoy meal

colmx
April 14th, 2018, 16:37
Robin hood is the old Shenanigans Irish bar in the avenue mall. It changed from Irish to TexMex and now to an English pub.

The owners of RH have several similar pubs around pattaya under the Retox brand

http://retoxgroupasia.com/about-us/

Jellybean
April 14th, 2018, 17:42
. . . it’s a British sports bar with an entirely straight crowd. Live music both times I went and very loud and crowded. Female waitresses.

That says all we need to know, catawampuscat. And, I thought as much after looking at their website.

It's typical of the sort of ghastly place a certain type of straight British tourist goes to on the Spanish Costas and the very type I come to Thailand to avoid. They are the unspeakably awful sort of places that are best avoided, especially by any self-respecting gay sex tourist. Ooops . . . sorry TaoR, I meant, any self-respecting gay cultural exchange ambassador.

:D

lonelywombat
April 14th, 2018, 18:27
Thanks I now know where it is The name through me out a bit.
Have seen it ,unimpressed from the outside, similar to other Sports bars.

gerefan2
April 15th, 2018, 00:32
I just don't do "Sports" Bars...of any sort!

StevieWonders
April 15th, 2018, 09:09
I just don't do "Sports" Bars...of any sort!

Not even Balls Sports Bar in Soi Twilight?

ChrisUK
April 16th, 2018, 17:07
I certainly lament the closing of Palmers as well as Oscar's in Boyztown as they both provided familiar British style treats for me and my friends on Sunday nights. Palmers used to serve traditional Sunday roasts with all the trimmings to perfection, including Yorkshire puddings and properly roasted potatoes. My favourite choice of meat was lamb and worth the extra price. Oscar's provided a delightful after dinner drink of tea, which used to come in a pot for two cups. The bonus there was a front row seat for the BoyzBoyzBoyz lineup in the street at 9pm. All of this tasty, charming and exciting experience is sadly no more with Palmers and Oscar's closing and BBB stopping their lineups.
Now the challenge is to find a suitable replacement, essentially for the Sunday roast dinner. Robin Hood Tavern is currently fitting the bill, but it just isn't the same as Palmers. I don't go for the "all you can eat" offering, but have the modest, but satisfying regular plated meal at 199Bt. It's good value and enough for me, including Yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets (chippolatas wrapped in bacon), mashed and roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, carrots, peas, stuffing and gravy. I like roast lamb (at 40bt extra), but I found it tasteless, being only medium (/rare) cooked. They don't cook it any other way! I now have the roast beef and find it satisfactory. The roast potatoes are dissapointing, being cut into small portions rather than just four quarters, and resting in a large tray for serving they become soggy rather than crunchy. It is a "sports bar" with many TV screens around the place, but when I go (7.30pm on Sundays) the sound is turned down and we have no trouble talking while eating. We don't have any trouble finding a vacant table to sit while ignoring the screens. The general noise level at the time we go is fine for a large bar with many customers. It's an alternative to the excellent Palmer's, but I'm still looking for a restaurant/bar that offers the same quality.
The photos attached are of the Sunday roast dinners at Palmers (first) and Robin Hood Tavern (second).