PDA

View Full Version : Airline Food

Blacktouch
April 10th, 2018, 06:25
Just out of interest, how many of you like or dislike airline food?

Which Airlines do you think serves the best food?

I myself, do like the plane food and look forward to it.
I think Emirates and Qatar Airways offer nice food!

cdnmatt
April 10th, 2018, 06:54
Well, my last travel was Bangkok -> South Korea -> Vancouver.

First leg was great with a nice beef curry. I was in jail for the few days proceeding that though, so no wonder it tasted good.

Second leg to Vancouver sucked. The stewardess came over, and proceeded to tell me she can't serve me food because I'm an "exported criminal", hence can't be trusted with utensils. She tried to come up with a solution and said she was thinking of a coriander rice they have, but then asked me, "but what do you eat rice with?". I confusingly answered, "I don't know, a spoon?" to which she said, "yeah, see, I can't give you a spoon". I was pissed.

Blacktouch
April 10th, 2018, 07:00
Second leg to Vancouver sucked. The stewardess came over, and proceeded to tell me she can't serve me food because I'm an "exported criminal", hence can't be trusted with utensils. She tried to come up with a solution and said she was thinking of a coriander rice they have, but then asked me, "but what do you eat rice with?". I confusingly answered, "I don't know, a spoon?" to which she said, "yeah, see, I can't give you a spoon". I was pissed.

What, are you joking? For real

Blacktouch
April 10th, 2018, 07:02
Well, my last travel was Bangkok -> South Korea -> Vancouver.

First leg was great with a nice beef curry. I was in jail for the few days proceeding that though, so no wonder it tasted good.

Did this really happened?
What Airline was this?
What did you eat in the end?

arsenal
April 10th, 2018, 07:02
Please don't destroy every thread Matt.

cdnmatt
April 10th, 2018, 07:12
Did this really happened?
What Airline was this?
What did you eat in the end?

Korean Airlines. For some reason, IDC would only allow me to leave if I had a flight booked with either Korean or Japan Airlines. Something to do with me flying alone, not sure.

Second leg I didn't eat. She tried to figure out something for me, but I just got pissed off and said don't worry about it. My mom had a ham and cheese sandwich from Tim Horton's waiting for me when I gout out of the Vancouver airport, so I had that.

No idea. First leg was fine, and I got served proper silverware. Second leg they refused me food service.
a

Blacktouch
April 10th, 2018, 07:25
If I was hungry, I would have still asked for my food and use bread and my hands to eat it. Don't mess with me and food!

cdnmatt
April 10th, 2018, 07:30
More on topic though, I guess Gordon Ramsay will never eat airline food. I guess he worked as a chef (head chef?) for Singapore Airlines for a while, so knows full well how the food is prepared and stored, and due to that, refuses to eat it.

Smiles
April 10th, 2018, 08:08
Trying my best to ignore Cdnmatt's whining and never-ending "It's-all-about-me" fetish . . .
------------------------------------------------
Best food by a mile was on China Southern (biz class). Their Premium Economy was very good as well.
Economy on Korean Air is iffy ... I've had excellent food with them sometimes, and mediocre also.
China Airlines (Taiwan) is nothing to write home about, and twice I've not eaten what was put in front of me.

Aside: besides the food Korean Air also has the best leg room in B-777 Economy. Seats on their Airbus 330's (Bangkok --Incheon) are even more roomy.

Jellybean
April 10th, 2018, 09:13
Just out of interest, how many of you like or dislike airline food?

Which Airlines do you think serves the best food?

I myself, do like the plane food and look forward to it.
I think Emirates and Qatar Airways offer nice food!

For 10 or more years, Blacktouch, I travelled with Qatar Airlines, mostly in Business Class and enjoyed the food and the service. I cannot recall having any problems or reason to complain.

But then Qatar increased their fares, which I found unacceptable, so for the last two years I have been flying from the UK to Thailand, via Dubai, with Emirates in Business Class and am very pleased with their food and level of service.

I have never had any complaints with Emirates regarding their food or in-flight service, but on my return flight to London Heathrow last year, my suitcase was not loaded on to the London bound flight at Dubai. But the upside was that I did not have to lug my heavy suitcase on and off the London Underground, so not really a complaint, more like a minor irritation.

snotface
April 10th, 2018, 09:18
I have as little to do with airline food as possible. Just the smell of it as other passengers dig gunk out of plastic containers makes me feel mildly nauseous. I was on a Thai Airways flight just yesterday. One peep under the foil at the ‘chicken sausages’ was enough and I hastily covered them up again. The croissant was rubbery but edible. The fruit pieces - a safe bet surely? - were wan and dry; back went the lid. The water was okay. When lunch arrived, hunger drove me to sample a roll containing a suspicious-looking slice of processed meat with pickled cucumber topping. It tasted okay but I knew there would be retribution and sure enough I arrived at my hotel in Perth with a badly out-of-sorts digestive system.

I dare say some airlines are better than others but I haven't found them yet. Travelling other than Economy class probably helps too. I'm too stingy to find out. My feeling is the plainer the plane food the better.

arsenal
April 10th, 2018, 09:19
It was many years ago but Brunei Airlines served excellent food. But no alcohol.

StevieWonders
April 10th, 2018, 11:40
It was many years ago but Brunei Airlines served excellent food. But no alcohol.

Is it true the loos are gold-plated?

StevieWonders
April 10th, 2018, 11:43
More on topic though, I guess Gordon Ramsay will never eat airline food. I guess he worked as a chef (head chef?) for Singapore Airlines for a while, so knows full well how the food is prepared and stored, and due to that, refuses to eat it.

I think you'll find he was a consultant chef. That is, he never touched the food, he just advised about what dishes might be suitable. Presumably you know the definition of a consultant? Someone who, when you ask him the time, puts his hand on your wrist, looks at your watch, tells you the time and then sends you a bill for the "advice".

cdnmatt
April 10th, 2018, 11:46
Yes, consultant work is great. All you have to do is talk to people, maybe write some documentation here and there, and they give you good money in exchange. Works great!

StevieWonders
April 10th, 2018, 11:46
For some inexplicable reason the Thai food served on Thai Airways out of Bangkok is generally worse than the Thai food prepared by third-party caterers for inbound flights. I generally use Singapore Airlines' Book The Cook service and find it ok.

Asia Traveler
April 10th, 2018, 20:46
I usually fly United Polaris Business from USA. The food for my taste is unpredictable. Sometimes great sometimes terrible. On my last flight to Japan the FA saw I did not eat the food and replaced it with another selection which I did eat. After getting a tip on Flyer Talk Forum United Polaris thread I now always order the fish which is consistently good (so far).

Blacktouch
April 10th, 2018, 23:24
Flown with EVA Air direct flight from London Heathrow to Bangkok Oct 2016.

As it was a direct flight for 11 hours, we got two hot meals, plus snakes during the flight.

One of the meals was still cold inside. I just recovered the foil lid and left it. I did not complain, as I knew I had nice Thai food to look forward too. I just ate the other things on the tray.

Apart from one of the cold meals, everything else about the flight was nice.

Chuai-Duai
April 10th, 2018, 23:33
Flown with EVA Air direct flight from London Heathrow to Bangkok Oct 2016.

As it was a direct flight for 11 hours, we got two hot meals, plus snakes during the flight.

I always fly EVA and haven’t been impressed with their veggie meals and I’m very glad they’ve never tried to serve me any “snakes”. Not very keen on their snacks either.

a447
April 10th, 2018, 23:44
... plus snakes during the flight.

Yeah, I know about that.

I saw the movie!

gerefan2
April 11th, 2018, 00:16
I don't think quality of the food has anything to do with which airline you fly with.

It all depends where the food is uploaded. London food is usually good. Bangkok food is consistently awful. Third world food...well...

The airlines often have no choice of caterer, there usually only being one.

I too tried the Vegetarian meal on Eva Air, thinking it would come quicker, be hotter and fresher. It was unspeakably terrible.

Nirish guy
April 11th, 2018, 01:09
It's even worse when you chose a flight with a stop over and so end up getting fed twice and if you're unlucky "out of sync" with your usual meal cycle. I guess I could always say no thanks to one or both meals but I'm usually that hungry / bored that I end up eating both - and regretting it later on arrival the next day :-(

gerefan2
April 11th, 2018, 02:21
Correct NIrish. Worst I had was eating before I left home, eating at Heathrow (Business Lounge) eating on the flight to Doha, eating at Doha (Business Lounge again) and eating on the flight to BKK.
Didn’t eat afterwards for nearly a week!

Blacktouch
April 11th, 2018, 02:28
I always fly EVA and haven’t been impressed with their veggie meals and I’m very glad they’ve never tried to serve me any “snakes”. Not very keen on their snacks either.

OMG. Oops sorry. Meant to type "Snacks", no "Snakes". You have me laughing like mad.

Blacktouch
April 11th, 2018, 02:30
Yeah, I know about that.

I saw the movie!

Lol.

Nirish guy
April 11th, 2018, 02:34
Totally and exactly the same thing here on emirates via Dubai, felt so bloated and sore for days afterwards in Bkk. Actually I’ve finally learnt not to TRY and restrict my intake and likewise I also do the same with alcohol.

I used to happily swigg away at the free drink with glee until a fateful flight in the US where I overdid it with wine and a whole bottle of champagne to myself and boy did I die and learnt my lesson about drinking at altitude and now the hangovers just aren’t worth anymore it so I try to restrict myself to one or two G&Ts and maybe two small bottles of wine, one with dinner and one for afterwards whilst watching a movie, in-between I pop a nightol tablet and stick ear plugs in and that’s me good to sleep soundly until I land usually.

Blacktouch
April 11th, 2018, 02:39
The time will come when airlines will start to charge you for meals on long hoult flights.

I read somewhere BA is thinking about doing this, as to cut down on waste etc. In fact I read it in their inflight mag on my last trip to Thailand back in December 2017.

I am guessing this is a way to save so much money. Wonder who will be the first airline to implement this?

arsenal
April 11th, 2018, 04:47
Blacktouch wrote
"I am guessing this is a way to save so much money. Wonder who will be the first airline to implement this?"

It's only going to get harder for the airlines as the big Chinese carriers move into their routes.

DaveyJonesLocker
April 11th, 2018, 05:59
The time will come when airlines will start to charge you for meals on long hoult flights.

It is already happening. Air New Zealand offers Economy fares on at least some of its international routes that are "basic seat, no meal". Food is available for purchase on board from a limited menu. The larger the plane the more difficult the logistics become, with passengers scattered throughout the Economy cabin some having bought fares "with meal" and others not. As well, budget airlines such as Air Asia and Jetstar have standard Economy fares between Australia and Asia that allow you to purchase selected food in advance (when you buy the ticket) or on board (restricted menu) but do not have "meal included" as a ticket option as far as I know.

dinagam
April 11th, 2018, 12:18
On Air Asia, a meal is included if you upgrade to value pack.

Blacktouch
April 11th, 2018, 15:32
It is already happening. Air New Zealand offers Economy fares on at least some of its international routes that are "basic seat, no meal". Food is available for purchase on board from a limited menu. The larger the plane the more difficult the logistics become, with passengers scattered throughout the Economy cabin some having bought fares "with meal" and others not. As well, budget airlines such as Air Asia and Jetstar have standard Economy fares between Australia and Asia that allow you to purchase selected food in advance (when you buy the ticket) or on board (restricted menu) but do not have "meal included" as a ticket option as far as I know.

I've flown with Air Asia a few times, and once with Jetstar and have had to purchase our meals beforehand. Its the same with the UK budget airline "Easyjet" where you can buy snacks (not snakes) on board. Same for Ireland's "Ryanair".

But for the big airlines flying to Bangkok from the West and other Countries, like BA, Qatar, Emirates and Thai etc, I wonder when the time will come when they start charging for meals (pre booked).

Marsilius
April 11th, 2018, 23:25
In general, Business Class food is certainly a step up from Economy Class. There's literally more elbow room, while the food is usually much better quality, as well as being served rather more elegantly on china crockery and with proper cutlery. The selection of drinks is of better quality too.

If travelling in Economy, I tend to refuse all food and anything more than a single drink. In that situation the 20 minutes or so when everyone else is penned in their seats by the tray table also offers a great opportunity to use the lavatory facilities without the need to queue.

Blacktouch
April 12th, 2018, 01:45
In general, Business Class food is certainly a step up from Economy Class. There's literally more elbow room, while the food is usually much better quality, as well as being served rather more elegantly on china crockery and with proper cutlery. The selection of drinks is of better quality too.

If travelling in Economy, I tend to refuse all food and anything more than a single drink. In that situation the 20 minutes or so when everyone else is penned in their seats by the tray table also offers a great opportunity to use the lavatory facilities without the need to queue.

I've flown a few Business Class flights from London to Prague during the good old days. The service was much better/nicer than Economy.

I've always wanted to fly Business Class long hoult to like Thailand or any other long distance. I will treat myself one day.

I am with Lufthansa Miles and More frequent flyer program and saving my miles for the big one "First Class" for a once in a life time trip!

cdnmatt
April 12th, 2018, 01:54
I'm surprised some character ala Beachlover or bruce_nyc hasn't popped into this thread to explain how they only fly private charter jets where they relax on a nice leather sofa, and enjoy food cooked by a personal chef who has 6 Michelin stars.

poshglasgow
April 12th, 2018, 05:23
I usually fly United Polaris Business from USA. The food for my taste is unpredictable. Sometimes great sometimes terrible. On my last flight to Japan the FA saw I did not eat the food and replaced it with another selection which I did eat. After getting a tip on Flyer Talk Forum United Polaris thread I now always order the fish which is consistently good (so far).

APA. American Presidential Airlines, Economy menu: Cock-a-leekie Soup (courtesy of Lewinsky's Bar, Pattayaland Soi 1); American Pie; Fries a Jolly Good Fellow; Potatoes of Mash Destruction; Iraq of Ribs, Condoleeza rice and Milk Sheikh, followed by a selection of tweets.

Ingredients Warning: Like the proverbial squirrel, this menu contains nuts and is prepared and packaged at Neasden's Pretzel Factory, under the watchful eye of the C.E.O., Herr Heimlich Manoeuvre.

We accept Visa Card, Mastercard, American Distress, and the Trump Card.

mr giggles
April 15th, 2018, 13:08

IF you have an aisle seat

Blacktouch
April 15th, 2018, 15:24
IF you have an aisle seat

When flying on any flights, I always pre book an aisle seat during online check-in.

Easy to go toilets, stretch my legs, first to get up to get bag from overhead compartment and get off plane. And of course, better view.

kittyboy
April 15th, 2018, 18:26
Most of us..or at least me..fly economy because we can not afford a business or first class ticket. Cheaper flight but it comes at the cost of less room and poorer service - including food service. It is the trade off. I know people who are so fussy about food they prepare their own meals prior to flying. Basically they pack a picnic for their flight.

For me food is what you eat. Food is nice and I like to cook but it is food.
I focus on other things that are important to me.

I am amazed at people who bore me into a catatonic drool as they describe the details of their dining experiences, complete with self referential digressions comparing one meal to another including the level of service they received at some dining establishment.

I feel the same way about airline food. It is just food. I can not afford to fly business or first class, and I do not want to spend hours making my own special meal for my flight so I eat what is presented. On my trips to Thailand I think of it as the misery before the ecstasy. The shared misery with my fellow travelers so that when I get off the plane I am ready for some fun, relaxation, a bit of masaman curry or papaya salad etc. and the adventure that is the LOS.

cdnmatt
April 16th, 2018, 01:37
I'm pretty much with kittyboy, and can't afford business. Technically I can, but realistically spending an extra ~$3000 for a little more comfort on a 20 hour journey seems a bit of a waste.

I think from here on in, I'll just do what I did last time. Don't really sleep for 4 or 5 days, then hop on the airplane. You get woken up a few times here and there, but are so exhausted you can be back sleeping in about 10 minutes again. Makes the flight seem quite a bit shorter.

gerefan2
April 16th, 2018, 01:51
I'm pretty much with kittyboy, and can't afford business. .you get woken up a few times here and there

....buy one of these.

cdnmatt
April 16th, 2018, 01:53
Oh yeah, one of those. I'll go grab one later today from Walmart.

You know I'm blind. What is it?

gerefan2
April 16th, 2018, 02:08
....buy one of these.

You know I'm blind.

I’m sorry to hear that, again.

cdnmatt
April 16th, 2018, 02:54
Ok, or you could just continue to be a smug asshole instead of explaining what that photo is. Up to you.

DaveyJonesLocker
April 16th, 2018, 05:26
Ok, or you could just continue to be a smug asshole instead of explaining what that photo is. Up to you.

Standard eyeshades for sleeping Matt. Is this now a new requirement? You want the Internet redesigned so those who are blind have an automated audio description of evetything that's visual, perhaps? That should make Instagram and Pinterest a bundle of laughs.

christianpfc
April 24th, 2018, 20:35
Food on aircraft is a non-issue for me. I eat what is served, done. An hour later I barely remember what I ate, as with most meals. The same goes for airlines or aircraft. Despite being interested in engineering and science, all I remember of the airplane I flew with is that is it had two wings.

I once had a flight Bangkok - Cologne that was seat only, no meal, no entertainment, no checked luggage. I figured that instead of paying about 10 EUR (about 400 THB; from memory) extra for food, I rather bring some snacks to last for the trip. Similar for on-board entertainment: instead of paying 10 EUR to have access, I rather watch a few movies on my mobile phone and read a book.

arsenal
April 24th, 2018, 21:13
Christian. Your commitment to value for money is legendary.
:cool:

scottish-guy
April 24th, 2018, 23:48
The real question is how many bog rolls Christian managed to purloin from the aircraft toilets

:D

poshglasgow
May 6th, 2018, 13:11
The real question is how many bog rolls Christian managed to purloin from the aircraft toilets

:D

How many calories in a bog roll?

gerefan2
May 6th, 2018, 13:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrZ85KBKYLA

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 17:55
How many calories in a bog roll?

Probably about the same as is in a shit sandwich ! ;)

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 17:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrZ85KBKYLA

So it's fuckers like THAT who are the reason why there's never any bog roll left in economy towards the end of a flight ! Bastards !

a447
May 6th, 2018, 18:01
May I suggest you fly business class. There is never a shortage of toilet paper, as we call it up front, and it quality is so much better.

Still like sandpaper, but of a much finer grade.

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 18:18
Excuse me I HAVE flown business class - highly overrated - who do you think sneaks into YOUR toilets and pisses on your seat !! :)

Actually on a serious note of course business is the way to go and I do when it suits, but flying from Belfast is a bitch and so devalues the benefits of the price hike i.e the chauffeur driven limo pick up from within 75 miles of the airport - doesn't apply in NI ( and the fuckers won't even send a taxi which drives me nuts !) so there's a £100 taxi fare to add on to my own bill now, plus I usually pick my flights carefully and if Emirates that's an enforced stop over in Dubai etc and of course I go the minimum stop over time possible, meaning by the time I get to the business lounge it's usually time to turn straight back round and go back to the plane again - and heres the final straw - I book say Dublin to Bkk - on business - I end up getting Dublin to Dubai in business and then have to rebook a SECOND business class fare for the Dubai to Bkk leg ! Fuck THAT !

So no, I've got it fairly well sussed now and either fly direct ( not always the most practical for various reasons) - but if so yes business is fine - but now I can pick my still in economy, a good book for take off, a G&T or two perhaps, then movies from the plane or my preloaded iPad depending on the airline, some wine with dinner, then pop a "nytol" tablet half way through dinner and bingo, wake up at my location - and the money I've saved buys my 2 or 3 weeks accommodation or one weeks shagging :-) wherever I'm going usually !

a447
May 6th, 2018, 19:30
who do you think sneaks into YOUR toilets and pisses on your seat !!

Dunno. But it's not my seat - I'm up in First!

or one weeks shagging

One week??

Christ, I'd be surprised if it covered one night!

You're slowing down, Nirish!

Nirish guy
May 6th, 2018, 20:16
I AM slowing down as as I typed that I thought yeah maybe more like THREE weeks these days ! :-(

I think it's the having a BF thing, it sort of negates the need / necessity / want of shagging like a man demented in case it's the last shag you ever get in your life again perhaps !

And I'm not saying that's a BETTER way to live, just different, as actually I quite like / liked the whole demented bar / grindr fed shagging as if your life depends on thing :-)

But I guess the bottom line is that certainly when here at home at least I guess once you get "settled" you get lazy. Mind you as myself and my BF are only just back from a week in Sitges just last week where he actually threatened to move out once we got back if I didn't knock it on the head trying to shag the waiters in the gay bars right in front of his nose while he was sitting there in front of me ! lol - so it seems perhaps old habits die hard and I've told to be a little more discrete / respectful ! Which IS fair enough of course - as long as HE promises to fuck off to the beach for a hour or two and let me get on with it - THAT conversation seems to be a forever ongoing on mind as "apparently I'm a "bad man with a good heart" - who knew eh ! :)

mr giggles
May 8th, 2018, 18:11
It was mealtime during a long plane trip.

"Would you like dinner?" the flight attendant asked

"What are my choices?" I asked.

"Yes or no," she replied.