PDA

View Full Version : The Plot Thickens.

arsenal
March 21st, 2018, 15:48
What is the link between a shadowy, invitation only suib-group of western men based in the nefarious bordello of Pattaya and a full on right wing reactionary regime that used dirty tricks, Russian agents, Mark Zuckerberg and ozone destroying amounts of chemical weapons in the form of hair spray to gain power. The answer might surprise you.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/17/can-i-cook-like-donald-trump

bobsaigon2
March 21st, 2018, 16:03
Of course. That explains Jellybean's association with the meatloaf group. They needed him to provide a bit of cover to their agenda, someone with panache, gentility, who could easily be convinced to partake of Pattaya's award winning (nominated) Pain de viande.

francois
March 21st, 2018, 16:56
The answer might surprise you.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/17/can-i-cook-like-donald-trump

Another failed attempt at humor, arsenal? :lol:

francois
March 21st, 2018, 17:06
Of course. That explains Jellybean's association with the meatloaf group. They needed him to provide a bit of cover to their agenda, someone with panache, gentility, who could easily be convinced to partake of Pattaya's award winning (nominated) Pain de viande.

Actually it is hackbraten based on an old and time tested German recipe. Along with rotkohl, kartoffelpüree and röstzwiebeln.

It is true, however, that Jellybean was conned into accepting an invitation to the affair this Thursday.

arsenal
March 21st, 2018, 17:53
Members like Francois are very protective of their meatloaf club. Criticism of any kind is verboten. Um. Interesting. Perhaps we should call you Vichy Francois.

francois
March 22nd, 2018, 00:48
More of your humor, arsenal??

scottish-guy
March 22nd, 2018, 06:21
Basically he's calling you a traitor.

Strong stuff.

arsenal
March 22nd, 2018, 06:37
Meatloaf treachery. The very wurst kind.

francois
March 22nd, 2018, 17:51
Meatloaf treachery. The very wurst kind.

Ha, ha, now that was funny.

a447
March 22nd, 2018, 21:26
I've never had meatloaf and to tell the truth,it looks pretty unappetising. But then again, looks can be deceiving.

Some people positively rave about it.

But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends, rather than enjoying a gourmet meal.

francois
March 23rd, 2018, 00:34
But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends, rather than enjoying a gourmet meal.

Exactly, a447. The cost of the meal, 200 Baht, is a pittance, the bonds of friendship are forever. Why some people can't understand this is a mystery.

arsenal
March 23rd, 2018, 04:42
Meatloaf is similar to turkey in that it all depends on what's served with it that determines its deliciousness quotient. In this case it's accompanied by chat, gossip and handsome boys. Three of my favourite accompaniments.

bkkguy
March 23rd, 2018, 19:36
But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends

well catching something anyway - and I am not saying whether that would be from the staff, the kitchen, or the others at the table - but at least there are some good pharmacies in the area

bkkguy

francois
March 23rd, 2018, 23:49
Obviously, bbkguy, you are one who understands nothing.

Jellybean
March 24th, 2018, 11:36
What is the link between a shadowy, invitation only sub-group of western men based in the nefarious bordello of Pattaya and a full on right wing reactionary regime that used dirty tricks . . .

Oh, I say! I do like your new avatar, arsenal. Now, if only you could persuade your fellow moderator, a447 to put a little effort into finding his first avatar. Apart from the days when random avatars were allocated to members who did not have a permanent avatar, I don’t believe a447 has had one. I was going to suggest something Australian, like a Koala bear, but I think another member already has that.

One that I think would be particularly apt and quite funny would be a photo of Sir Les Patterson. What do you think a447?

Perhaps we should have a competition of suggestions for avatars for those members who haven’t quite entered the spirit of things by choosing an appropriate icon.

Earlier on this week Bob, when I returned to my Bangkok condo from a night out on the sauce, I was yet again surprised to find, as previously mentioned on the Cuisine au Beurre topic, I had received yet another unsolicited gold embossed invitation from the Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club. It was addressed to J Bean Esquire and inviting me to dinner at the Ting Tong Red Bar the following Thursday. How they managed to track me down in Bangkok and how they knew I would be in Pattaya is quite unfathomable. Their reach would appear to extend far and wide.

I am really not quite sure how I came to the attention of this most exclusive band of Pattaya brothers. As I was saying to one SGT member last night, for years I walked from Boyz Town to Sunee Plaza on my way to Krazy Dragon Bar and Happy Boys Bar and never once stopped to talk to any of the local fa-ràng. In those days I was a man on a mission and would not, under any circumstances, be deflected from my purpose, the pursuit of happiness!

But my time in Pattaya is nearly up and my time out in Thailand is also nearly at an end. And, unfortunately, I shall not be back until at least January 2019. So who knows if and when I shall ever be the honoured recipient of another gold embossed invitation to the Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club.

. . . But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends, rather than enjoying a gourmet meal.

That’s also my understanding, a447. Being a Bangkok resident I am certainly no regular at the meatloaf dinners, but on the few occasions I have been invited, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. For example, this week I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time some well known members of this forum and the Gaybutton Thai forum.

arsenal
March 24th, 2018, 11:48
Thank you for your kind comments regarding my avatar. I felt something reflecting my well known status as an English gentleman known to frequent the finest of establishments for gentle recreation was in order.

I hope your hiatus from Thailand will not mean a hiatus from this board. Visiting Thailand has never been a pre-requisite to posting here.

Have an emoji.

:D

a447
March 24th, 2018, 14:41
Of course, using Sir Les Patterson as my avatar has crossed my mind many times. However, I feel I could not possibly live up to his level of cultural understanding and knowledge, especially of all things Asian.

I'm the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing about Asia, and even less about Thailand!

Morefurtherover, the pressure would be on me to emulate his sophistication and elegance, something that I would find impossible to do,

I think Sir Les deserves better from a fellow Australian, and so I have resisted the temptation to cling to his coat tails.

In the meantime, what do you think of this one?

Jellybean
March 24th, 2018, 17:52
. . . In the meantime, what do you think of this one?

I like it, a447. Is it a Samurai’s helmet? If so, then I can see the connection and why you chose it.

And, to be perfectly honest, a much better avatar than the one I suggested. Perhaps that one would be more appropriate for another forum member?

;)

a447
March 25th, 2018, 08:10
Is it a Samurai’s helmet? If so, then I can see the connection and why you chose it.

Yes, it is.

But perhaps the connection you see is not the one I see.

Homosexuality was rife among the samurai; it was a normal part of samurai life to have a male lover polish his "helmet" after a hard day's marauding.

Of course, their guys were much younger than the ones I prefer.

BTW, I used to own a genuine samurai helmet and sword from the 1600's but sold them to an American collector a number of years ago - a decision I now regret.

Jellybean
March 25th, 2018, 17:55
Yes, it is.

But perhaps the connection you see is not the one I see.

Homosexuality was rife among the samurai; it was a normal part of samurai life to have a male lover polish his "helmet" after a hard day's marauding.

Of course, their guys were much younger than the ones I prefer . . .

Yes, you are perfectly correct there, a447, not quite the connection I had in mind. ;)

But, having said that, I have just finished reading, Bangkok Tattoo by John Burdett. It was recommended by the forum’s resident book reviewer, arsenal, i.e. when he’s not writing his restaurant reviews. In this, the second book in the series about the Bangkok detective, Sonchai Jitpleecheep, there is a connection to the Samurai. Without revealing too much of the story, there is a Japanese plot line and it was mentioned that homosexuality was rife amongst the Samurai, something I was previously unaware of.

So, not unusually, when I first saw the Samurai helmet, there was just a passing remembrance of that storyline and the reference to the homosexual Samurai, but not the full connection you went on to post about. :))

But now you have very kindly provided another very handy euphemism to spare the blushes of some of our more, er . . . conservative members. For example:

Hey young chap, me lad! While you’re down there would you mind polishing my helmet?

But in all likelihood, in reply, the young lad would probably and not unsurprisingly say, à-rai-ná? (What did you say?) :D

So, on second thoughts, better restrict the euphemism for inclusion in our, or more particularly, your, forum trip reports and not for general use when you’re on active duty as a cultural exchange ambassador while in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Bali, Myanmar, Singapore, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan . . .

arsenal
March 25th, 2018, 20:32
Thank you for the kind offer that I take up residence as the forum's book reviewer but I must decline due to lack of time. I shall however continue in my present role as restaurant critic par excellence. The usefulness of those reviews (mentioned omly recently) coupled with the lucrative commissions earned makes that my prority. I suggest
Christian would be the ideal choice.

Jellybean
March 26th, 2018, 12:58
Thank you for the kind offer that I take up residence as the forum's book reviewer but I must decline due to lack of time . . .

Oh, that’s very disappointing news, arsenal. It is however my understanding that ChristianPFC is otherwise engaged at the moment, so he too would not have any free time. Perhaps you could be persuaded to carry on in an ad hoc basis, as and when time permitted. It would be a great pity to lose such talent.

And, given my former occupation, I could not end this message without a gentle reminder that all your very lucrative commission payments, from the restaurants you review, constitute income and therefore are subject to the income tax. Make sure they are included in your tax return, there’s a good fellow.

Believe me, you wouldn’t want to find yourself grassed on by some Australian marsupial with a grudge, would you? Such things do happen, in previous years we used the rather, unpleasant word, ‘informer’ to describe such persons. But these days they are referred to as a, CHIS, i.e. a covert human intelligence source. Now, doesn’t that sound a lot grander and far more pleasant. It's a legal term which is shared with our colleagues serving OHMSS.

:dirol_mini:

arsenal
March 26th, 2018, 13:43
Worry ye not Jellybean. With regards to my taxable restaurant commissions. My solicitor, Mr. A. Blowy-Molten has assured me that this income is classed as charity work due to my administrative duties on this very board. Duties that include arranging meals for the elderly superannuated residents who don't get out much.

Jellybean
March 26th, 2018, 18:00
Worry ye not Jellybean. With regards to my taxable restaurant commissions. My solicitor, Mr. A. Blowy-Molten has assured me that this income is classed as charity work due to my administrative duties on this very board. Duties that include arranging meals for the elderly superannuated residents who don't get out much.

Ahhhh . . . so you're using the services of old Blowy-Molten are you, arsenal. Forgive me for saying, but he’s well known in revenue circles and is quite the old rascal. If anyone can find a loophole, it’s him.

So you say it is all charity work, do you. Well, who would have known you had a soft side to your character. Spending so much time and effort running a meals-on-wheels service for the most elderly and infirm Pattaya expats and, while you did not mention it directly, due, I suspect, to your ingrained modesty, making arrangements for them to achieve one final crisis before they shuffle off this mortal coil. This is something most of us would consider above and beyond the call of duty.

Such unstinting and selfless charitable work is to be commended and should, in my opinion, be officially recognised. I am therefore minded to put your name forward at the next honours round. Sadly, it is now too late for the Queen's birthday honours, but you may be in with a chance in the New Year honours. Just keep your nose clean in the meantime. We wouldn't want any hint of a public scandal, would we?

;)

scottish-guy
March 27th, 2018, 04:55
Oh you two!

Talk about laugh - I almost started.

arsenal
March 27th, 2018, 07:12
Why Mr Jelybean the very suggestion that HMQE2 would recognise my efforts is reward in itself and I thank you kindly.

Recently I've introduced the idea of cream teas to the clients and it was well received by the majority. Often overlooked in such a delicate meal is the Victoria Sandwich, Two layers of sweet, soft sponge (Genoise is best) filled with strawberry jam and fresh whipped double cream. Its delicious and can be enjoyed by anyone who fancies a slice.

It's a very simple dish to make and Genoise is virtually fool proof using eggs as the raising agent and very little fat. This makes it light and aerated. Perfect. The jam must be strawberry and preferably homemade although a good quality bought one will suffice. As simple as it is some people cannot understand the idea and want to muck around with it. I recently came across one where a thin layer of gooseberry puree had been used instead of jam. This gave it a bitter and sour taste and was somewhat unpleasant. However we ate around the offending ingredient and continued to enjoy the meal. Happy baking.

Jellybean
March 27th, 2018, 09:41
Why Mr arsenal, how very interesting. I do believe your knowledge of food matters is second to none. It is no surprise to me that you went on to become a world renowned food critic.

Ooooh . . . did that very rude man sitting at the next table just say something? I do believe he is eavesdropping on our conversation. Clearly, standards are dropping in this once very fine establishment if they let characters like him in. Perhaps you could have a quiet word with the proprietor, Mr Moses. We don’t want any riff-raff interloping on our scintillating conversations, do we?

arsenal
March 27th, 2018, 11:25
Indeed not, riff raff are most definitely not welcomed although unfortunately they are tolerated by the good Mr Moses. You'll recognise him if you see him, he's the one writing cheques to keep the whole establishment open including this small but cosy alcove.

However, generous fellows are we and so any and all are welcome to join us for tea and partake of our meagre offerings of gentle repartee, chit chat and friendly gentlemenly topics of interest. No gifts are necessary but a little confiture is always a delight, correctly sweetened of course.

StevieWonders
March 28th, 2018, 07:57
Ahhhh . . . so you're using the services of old Blowy-Molten are you, arsenal. Forgive me for saying, but he’s well known in revenue circles and is quite the old rascal. If anyone can find a loophole, it’s him.But is he also advising arsenal whether being a food critic in Pattaya falls under the permissions of his Work Permit? Again, what provisions of the UK-Thailand Double Tax Treaty apply in this case?

Jellybean
March 28th, 2018, 12:35
But is he also advising arsenal whether being a food critic in Pattaya falls under the permissions of his Work Permit? Again, what provisions of the UK-Thailand Double Tax Treaty apply in this case?

Ahhhh . . . well done you StevieWonders. Not many UK tax dodgers are aware that the United Kingdom has Double Taxation Treaties with countries such as Thailand and Vietnam. So any attempts by them to squirrel away their untaxed or ill-gotten income and gains in foreign businesses or property are automatically reported back to the UK tax authorities. And each treaty contains an exchange of information provision, which means further information or documents can and is frequently requested.

But to answer your point directly, StevieWonders, I rather doubt HM Revenue & Customs would be interested if any UK tax resident had a work permit in Thailand. I assume that particular subject would be the sole concern of the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division. But don’t quote me on it.

;)

scottish-guy
March 29th, 2018, 02:25
..Not many UK tax dodgers are aware that the United Kingdom has Double Taxation Treaties with countries such as Thailand and Vietnam. So any attempts by them to squirrel away their untaxed or ill-gotten income and gains in foreign businesses or property are automatically reported back to the UK tax authorities...

Well that has hardly been effective over the years has it - considering that at one time (maybe even still, if he's not dead) maybe half of BT was owned by a very shadowy figure whom (as a matter of record) UK HMRC were vigorously pursing for decades, to absolutely no result.

For the avoidance of doubt, the person to whom I refer is not Scottish and probably 90% of you will never have heard of him.

In fact Mr Jellybean - can you name anybody who has been apprehended under these laws and treaties?

Jellybean
March 29th, 2018, 09:50
On the contrary scottish-guy, the exchange of information provisions in the Double Taxation Treaties are very effective. My former colleagues and I used them on a weekly basis. We requested information and documents from many foreign tax authorities and, in turn, we supplied information and documents to our colleagues in other countries.

Many tax enquiries are started on the basis of information and documents received or during the course of many enquiries, assistance was sought from foreign tax authorities. Not all taxpayers under enquiry are “apprehended”, the vast majority of tax enquiries in the UK are settled confidentially by negotiation without recourse to the courts, using civil powers to recover back taxes up to 20 years, levy penalties up to 100% of the tax lost and charge interest from the point the original tax should have been paid.

And, no, I cannot and would not name or comment on any individuals. As mentioned on another topic last year, I signed the Official Secrets Acts on taking up office and owe a lifelong duty of confidentiality to the Crown.

And taxpayer’s affairs in the UK are regarded as confidential unless they are brought into the public domain before the courts.

I am beginning to think you have a problem with me and I don’t like your aggressive tone. I shall not be commenting further on this subject.

arsenal
March 29th, 2018, 10:15
Three times Scottish Guy has bulldozed his way into this thread and three times it has got unpleasant. Times that by his posts all over the board and one can clearly see what he's like. Hardly the poster boy for 'Visit Scotland' now is he!

StevieWonders
March 29th, 2018, 11:28
I am beginning to think you have a problem with me and I don’t like your aggressive tone. I shall not be commenting further on this subject.I had not picked you as a "snowflake" (I think that's the right word) Jellybean. Besides, I had wanted to discuss whether Blowy-Molten has branched out into general lifestyle advice for the rich and fatuous, in which case he may well be advising Arsenal on his Work Permit obligations in Thailand. If it leaks it could end up being a local version of the Panama Papers - the "Pattaya Papers" perhaps?

StevieWonders
March 29th, 2018, 11:29
Hardly the poster boy for 'Visit Scotland' now is he!Doesn't that depend on whether you like rough trade?

Jellybean
March 29th, 2018, 12:39
I had not picked you as a "snowflake" (I think that's the right word) Jellybean. Besides, I had wanted to discuss whether Blowy-Molten has branched out into general lifestyle advice for the rich and fatuous, in which case he may well be advising Arsenal on his Work Permit obligations in Thailand. If it leaks it could end up being a local version of the Panama Papers - the "Pattaya Papers" perhaps?

Oh really? And I thought you knew me so well, StevieWonders. Clearly you weren’t paying enough attention during all those lovely evenings we spent together. Mind you, there was so much eye-candy to be seen, I really can’t blame you.

And, as for that old rogue, Blowy-Molten, just between the two of us, I have heard it on good authority from the most unimpeachable sources, that he won’t sully his hands with low class work permit business. He has gone and subcontracted the work to that scurrilous character of even more dubious worth, Saul Goodman. Can you believe it?

arsenal
March 29th, 2018, 13:12
Pattaya Papers!

Pattaya En Papillote would be apposite.