PDA

View Full Version : Criminal background checks

Pages : [1] 2

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 12:14
Anyone have experience with this? We're in our final days in Khon Kaen, so are running around getting all needed documentation before I get my ass blacklisted for 10 years, and so we can secure him a visitor VISA to Canada.

He's lived in Thailand for over 6 months, so I'm sure the Canadian government will want a criminal background check from the Thai police for him. Told him to get one, he says he went to three police stations, and they all told him he needs to go to Bangkok to get it. That has to be bullshit, and he just doesn't know what he's doing.

At least in Canada, criminal background checks are very common, cost about $10, and you can't even get a job as a landscaper without one. I can't possibly see why he'd have to travel to Bangkok to get one.

Anyone with any experience with this? We should be capable of obtaining a criminal record at any local police station, right? If not, can we just do it via mail in Bangkok without actually having to travel to Bangkok?

justaguy
March 14th, 2018, 13:55
Hold on, a trip to Lao is out now ? Not sure if the Thai authorities can perform criminal background checks into Lao citizens that are on visa exempt by crossing the border every month.

Good luck with your visa application. Not sure when you are going to get blacklisted, but securing visas to first world countries, usually take some time before being granted. Allthough if you are Lucky, you could be in and out in a week or so.

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 14:04
Yes, the Thai authorities can do a criminal background check on him. He'll require one for every country he's lived in for 6+ months, which means from both, Thailand and Laos. He should just have to provide any police station his passport, they punch his name and birth date into the computer, and print out a piece of paper saying he has no recorded criminal activity in Thailand. It's that simple.

As per-usual though, it's turned into a gone show. The cops here told him he needs to go to Bangkok, which obviously can't be correct.

I know the Canadian government is going to require it though, because they won't issue him a visitor VISA without a criminal background check from any country he['s lived in for 6+ months.

justaguy
March 14th, 2018, 14:32
Ok, then just go to Bangkok, you probably need to go there anyway to get a visa.

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 14:45
No, I'm most likely getting myself blacklisted for 10 years, and get fucked if you think I'm travelling on the highway to Bangkok. I'm just working on getting across that Nong Khai border safely without ending up in a jial cell.

The criminal background check is for Leo and the Canadian government to get him granted a visitor VISA. It's not for me at all.

kkjason
March 14th, 2018, 15:31
As far as I understand, the police did tell him correctly. I know for an immigrant visa to the USA, a criminal background check is also required. The ONLY Police station that does this is the main police station near Lumpini Park in Bangkok. There are no other options. It is actually, for Thailand, a quite sophisticated little operation. Leo has to be there in person. They run his fingerprints through a system, ask him some questions, and, in our case, they called the local police station in my husband's village.

Anyway - it looks like if you want him to get the right criminal clearance, it will have to be done in Bangkok. He can do it on his own easily. If you need the exact name of the police station and better directions, let me know, I will try to look through my paperwork and see if I can find it.

Cheers -

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 16:07
Really? So what Leo told me is the truth, and he actually needs to be in-person in Bangkok for a criminal background check? How absolutely fucken retarded.

In Canada, you can't even get a job as a taxi driver without a criminal background check, and it's a cery standard procedure thqat takes 5 minutes and about $10. I remember before when I got my farang husband permanent residency status to Canada, it took four criminal background checks -- Canada, Florida, FBI, Hungary. We were able to do all four in Canada without issue.

Alright then, another thing on the to-do list. How fucken stupid. Just punch his name and birth date into a computer, and print a piece of paper saying he has no criminal convictions in Thailand. It's that simple. No idea why he has to go all the way to Bangkok for that.

scottish-guy
March 14th, 2018, 16:19
Yes, the Thai authorities can do a criminal background check on him. He'll require one for every country he's lived in for 6+ months, which means from both, Thailand and Laos. He should just have to provide any police station his passport, they punch his name and birth date into the computer, and print out a piece of paper saying he has no recorded criminal activity in Thailand. It's that simple.

I'll be surprised if the Thai police can give a clean bill of health for Laos - I'm sceptical they share information to that extent - and if that's the case I can't see the Canadian authorities accepting partial information (theoretically he could be an axe murderer on the run in Laos but squeaky clean in Thailand) but hey it's your country, you should know....

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 16:36
Again, any country he's lived in for 6+ months he needs a criminal background check for, before being granted a VISA to Canada.

The Canadian government is somehow aware that various governments don't share police records with each other, hence why they require a background check from each country you've lived in. I don't know, I guess Canada is just really acutely aware in that manner.

scottish-guy
March 14th, 2018, 17:00
Right - that was my point - so doesn't Leo also have to go to Laos to get a certificate - or has he done that already

Blacktouch
March 14th, 2018, 17:57
I guess rules are rules? Every Country operates in there own way. Simple!

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 19:07
Right - that was my point - so doesn't Leo also have to go to Laos to get a certificate - or has he done that already

Yes, he'll need one from Laos as well. We're moving there within days though, and just in our final days of living in Thailand, so are getting all final preperations in place, especially considering I most likely won't be allowed in Thailand again for 10 years.

But yes, a criminal background check from the Laos police will be required as well. I just assumed getting one here in Thailand would be a pretty easy and routine process, but apparently not, and he has to show up in Bangkok in person.

I'm sorry, but that's just fucken stupid. In Canada, you can just go to any local police station in the country, and get a criminal background check. They don't make you travel to Ottawa or Toronto to get one. Hell, you can even get a report from the FBI or Interpol remotely.

MiniMee
March 14th, 2018, 19:39
Yes, the Thai authorities can do a criminal background check on him. He'll require one for every country he's lived in for 6+ months, which means from both, Thailand and Laos.

Matt, a lot depends on your definition of “lived in” and I think your assumption is not correct. To be “ordinarily resident” (ie living) in a country one usually has to have some form of residential visa or a work permit or pay taxes or something. Since, as justaguy mentioned, we understand that Leo just enters Thailand on a visa exempt basis to visit you but returns to Laos regularly, he has not “lived in” Thailand at all. He is just a frequent tourist and should therefore not need to obtain a criminal record check from the Thai Authorities to satisfy Canadian immigration. Just don’t declare Thailand as a “lived in” country as there is no evidence that he has.

I'll be surprised if the Thai police can give a clean bill of health for Laos - I'm sceptical they share information to that extent

Of course they can’t you numpty. But just supposing Leo had been ordinarily resident in Thailand for more than 180 days (as cdnmatt has incorrectly assumed) then all the Thai Authorities would check and confirm is if he had been involved in any criminal activity in Thailand whilst he was ordinarily resident.

A lot of muddle-headed thinking here. No wonder you find these things to be so difficult.

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 20:04
The Canadian government isn't stupid, and we're definitely not about to lie to them. They'll see the stamps in his passport, and will easily ascertain he's been living in Thailand for the last 18 months, hence will want a background check from the Thai police.

It'll be difficult enough as is to get him a VISA, so last thing we're going to do is skirt the rules. It'll actually be the opposite, and we'll provide far more than what's actually required just to help ensure he gets granted a VISA.

MiniMee
March 14th, 2018, 20:37
I’m not suggesting that you lie to the Canadian Authorities. Far from it. But I do suggest you get a proper understanding of their requirements and seek advice from your lawyer on the definition of ordinarily resident or “lived in”. Otherwise, just go ahead and get clearance from the Thai Police, but don’t stress when you find that you are trying to get them to do something that does not fit with their procedures.

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2018, 21:06
I can nearly 100% guarantee you that if we submit a visitor VISA application to the Australian embassy in Vientiane without a criminal background record from Thai police, they will deny the application and request it.

Canadians love to bitch and complain that the Canadian government just lets anyone and everyone in, but that's simply not true. It's actually very difficult to get into Canada. I know, because I've been through this type of process before.

Whatever, doesn't matter anymore. We don't have time for him to go to Bangkok, as we need to be gone within days. I'll send him to Bangkok on his own in a few weeks to get the background check. How fucken stupid....

scottish-guy
March 14th, 2018, 21:11
Right - so I strongly suggest that something can’t be done.

I then get abuse from MiniMee on the grounds that the thing I strongly suggested couldnt be done, can’t in fact be done - as I strongly suggested in the first place.

And the esteemed Mod thinks that’s worthy of a “like”.

Sigh

arsenal
March 14th, 2018, 21:27
This is very funny. Scottish Guy has come here to offer his advice on Matt's immigration problems while Matt has gone to the Everything Else forum to offer Scottish Guy advice on his. Reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy sketch where Stan keeps giving the clean plate to Oliver who cleans.it and.gives it back to Stan.
:dash:

justaguy
March 15th, 2018, 01:52
No, I'm most likely getting myself blacklisted for 10 years, and get fucked if you think I'm travelling on the highway to Bangkok. I'm just working on getting across that Nong Khai border safely without ending up in a jial cell.

The criminal background check is for Leo and the Canadian government to get him granted a visitor VISA. It's not for me at all.

Oh my, what utter rubbish, to get to Nong Khai from Khon Kaen, you need to travel on the very same highway, going the other way !

You could take the train if you are that worried about being checked, or let Leo go alone, I'm sure he can manage. And I already understood the criminal check was for Leo, hence the visa remark.

But now I still see you want to get to Lao illegally, which is utterly stupid, you are not a Lao, so you will go from being illegally in Thailand to being illegally in Lao. Granted, the Lao are not this stung up with the whole issue of overstaying than the Thai, but it might be a good idea to bite the bullet, secure Leo a visa, go to the Airport and fly back to Canada with him. All that will happen is you will pay 20K overstay fine and get blacklisted for 10 years. No big deal :)

Edit: I just realized, you might actually be thinking of crossing the border at Nong Khai normally, and expected to get a 10 year blacklist + 20K fine, as opposed to crossing the border illegally.

Did you inquire if that is even possible, it wouldn't surprise me if they send you back to Bangkok with a massive overstay. Quite possibly to the IDC. If I were you, I would have a ticket out to Canada ready just in case..

cdnmatt
March 15th, 2018, 07:08
Yes, Leo will go to Bangkok on his own again in a few weeks. We don't have 72 hours to spare at the moment, so I guess he'll just have to wait until we're settled into Vientiane, and he can go then. Still stupid...

Yes, I plan to cross the border legally. I'll get a 15 day tourist VISA upon entering Laos, and already have a 1 year business VISA lined up.

Basically last and only preperation left is figuring out how to cross that Nong Khai border without issue. I've contacted several immigration lawyers, and all have said they're unable to help. Next step is to contact local immigration directly, request leniency, and hope to hell I can somehow get a 3 day emergency VISA. I really don't feel like travelling on the highway without a VISA in my passport, because if I hit a checkpoint before getting to the order, it's technically 1 year in Thai jail. I'm blind plus will have the dogs with me, so going to jail isn't much of an option.

And no, I'm not going back to Canada without Leo. I decided that on September 17th, 2016 to be exact. That's when I was in the hospital just upon going blind, Leo and myself didn't really even know each other at the time, but for some reason he did a u-turn at that Laos border and came back to take care of me instead of going to visit his family and friends. That's when I promised both him and myself that the next time I'm on a plane to Canada, he'll be on the plane with me, and I intend to make good on that promise. It's his life dream to visit Canada.

However, it will be a good 4 month before he has a Canadian visitor VISA in his passport. About a month to gather all necessary documentation and get it translated into English. Then the posted processing time from the Canadian government is 38 business days, so say 2 months. However, due to his background, I highly doubt he's just going to sail through the application process, so let's say 3 months processing time. I'm confident I'll be able to get him a VISA, but I also know what I'm in for.

Again, people love to complain that Canada just lets anyone and everyone in, and that's simply not true. It's actually very difficult to get into Canada.

scottish-guy
March 15th, 2018, 07:20
If it's anything like the UK, some people manage to get in no bother at all - because their ethnic community within the UK has it all organised.

You, like me, are trying to do it on our own and we get roadblocked at every turn.

Smiles
March 15th, 2018, 09:58
Too be quick and blunt: there isn't a chance in hell your 'husband' will be able to obtain a Visa to get into Canada.
You've managed to break Thailand's immigration laws for years now, so I doubt you are much of a fall back helper with that, given that your own Canadian passport is full of lies itself.
There's so much nonsense and stupidity in your posts on this thread that it boggles the mind ...starting out mundanely with the background check fee being $10 -- it's actually $28 -- and getting more surreal by the sentence.

cdnmatt
March 15th, 2018, 13:22
What happened to you Smiles? You used to be a pretty nice guy I thought. Last year or two though you've just been this old, grumpy, egotistical, depressing negative dickhead.

Yes, I'm confident I'll get Leo granted a visitor VISA to Canada. It will be quite a bit of time and effort, but I know full well what I'm in for, as I've been through this type of process several times. After all, I got my first husband permanent residency status to Canada, so getting Leo a visitor VISA should be easier than that.

Quit being such a grumpy old man. Be happy. Life is more fun like that.

Marsilius
March 15th, 2018, 13:56
Mentioning grumpy old men - which I've never, by the way, considered Smiles to be - makes me think that we perhaps need to be a little more careful when composing titles for the threads we initiate.

After all, I can easily imagine that unexpectedly catching sight of the words Criminal background checks at the head of the list of this board's threads might well precipitate a fatal heart attack for more than a few gentlemen of a certain age as they wake up in the morning in Sodom-by-the-Sea.

cdnmatt
March 15th, 2018, 14:16
*shrug*

Up to them. It's still absolutely fucken retarded he has to go all the way to Bangkok, and get finger printed in order to get a criminal background check. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. When I was living in Edmonton, Alberta and my employer told me I needed a background check, the police didn't tell me I need to go to Toronto to get it.

Anyway, he's off to Vientiane this morning to secure us a house. We'll worry about the stupid background check later. For now, we'll just worry about getting myself and my dogs secure and safe in some house in Vientiane.

Smiles
March 15th, 2018, 14:44
" ... Quit being such a grumpy old man. Be happy. Life is more fun like that."Well, originality has never been your strong suite: you employ almost the same well-worn cliche every time.
But do carry on . . .

cdnmatt
March 15th, 2018, 15:02
Sure, no problem, as you've posted photos of you on here before. If I can remember correctly...

You look like something a 5 year old would have carved out of a pumpkin.

You seem to have the temperment of the small, tiny street dog that keeps coming around, which I'm presuming is a Chiauawia or similar.

I would call you a peacock, but that would be insulting to the intelligence of peacocks.

I could imagine you like Trump, and snuggling into bed with a cheeseburger every night at 2am.

heh, this is fun. Shall we continue? :)

Smiles
March 15th, 2018, 15:09
Nice try, but you're trying way to hard. Prose a bit leaden, a bit heavy, hard to wander through.
'Chiauawia' vs 'Chihuahua' ... but I'll give you the blind thing on that one. ;)

justaguy
March 15th, 2018, 15:12
Yes, Leo will go to Bangkok on his own again in a few weeks. We don't have 72 hours to spare at the moment, so I guess he'll just have to wait until we're settled into Vientiane, and he can go then. Still stupid...

Yes, I plan to cross the border legally. I'll get a 15 day tourist VISA upon entering Laos, and already have a 1 year business VISA lined up.

Basically last and only preperation left is figuring out how to cross that Nong Khai border without issue. I've contacted several immigration lawyers, and all have said they're unable to help. Next step is to contact local immigration directly, request leniency, and hope to hell I can somehow get a 3 day emergency VISA. I really don't feel like travelling on the highway without a VISA in my passport, because if I hit a checkpoint before getting to the order, it's technically 1 year in Thai jail. I'm blind plus will have the dogs with me, so going to jail isn't much of an option.

And no, I'm not going back to Canada without Leo. I decided that on September 17th, 2016 to be exact. That's when I was in the hospital just upon going blind, Leo and myself didn't really even know each other at the time, but for some reason he did a u-turn at that Laos border and came back to take care of me instead of going to visit his family and friends. That's when I promised both him and myself that the next time I'm on a plane to Canada, he'll be on the plane with me, and I intend to make good on that promise. It's his life dream to visit Canada.

However, it will be a good 4 month before he has a Canadian visitor VISA in his passport. About a month to gather all necessary documentation and get it translated into English. Then the posted processing time from the Canadian government is 38 business days, so say 2 months. However, due to his background, I highly doubt he's just going to sail through the application process, so let's say 3 months processing time. I'm confident I'll be able to get him a VISA, but I also know what I'm in for.

Again, people love to complain that Canada just lets anyone and everyone in, and that's simply not true. It's actually very difficult to get into Canada.

You have not at all done your homework did you ? First of all, there is no such thing as a 15 days tourist visa for Lao. Those are 30 days and will cost you as a Canadian 42 bucks. I was not suggesting you go to Canada alone, but with Leo. You are on a extensive overstay already, so staying a little bit longer might not hurt.

I am surprised no immigration lawyer was able to advise you, but I would like to stress again, that the best course of action in these cases are to get to the airport undetected and settle the overstay there. Again, there is a good chance, any landborder will turn you back with this kind of overstay. If you go to the KK immigration office, you will most definitely not be awarded an emergency visa, they will send you to the IDC, and you will remain there, until you can show them a ticket out to Canada, at which time, you will be escorted by immigration officers to your plane seat. So in any case, have 20K + a ticket to Canada on you if you attempt to request for leniency.

You have precious little options left I'm afraid, like I said, the best course of action is getting to the airport undetected (which shouldn't be a big issue) and settle your overstay there, pay 20K and receive a blacklisting from Thailand, how long depends on the number of days you actually were on overstay. In this case you have surrendered to the Authoroties, so the blacklisting would be:

>90 days < 1 year = 1 year
> 1 year = 3 years
> 3 years =5 years
> 5 years = 10 years

As Smiles pointed out, securing Leo a Canadian visa with you acting as a sponsor might be a bridge too far, as you are on an extensive overstay, and since they will want to see a copy of your passport and any relevant stamps and visas, they might decide not to award the visa on the basis that the sponsor is residing in Thailand illegally, but then again, they might not even care.

Good luck, I think you are going to need it.

Edit to add: There is no such thing as technically in jail for one year. If you hit a checkpoint you will end up in the same IDC for a period no longer as you provide a ticket out to Canada and pay the fine, in this case you indeed might be looking at a 10 year ban, providing you overstayed for over one year.

To get to lao, you need to travel over the highway,as going to KK immigration will get you back to Canada,not Lao, they deport people to their country of origin, not to Lao.

justaguy
March 15th, 2018, 15:53
Couldn't edit my above post, so here it goes:

If I were you, I would do the following:

1) let Leo handle the dogs
2) get my ass to BKK airport, with a ticket to VTE, travel by train from KK to Hualamphong, take taxi to BKK, settle overstay at the airport and get to VTE by plane.

I understand trying to get to Nong Khai, might seem a lesser risk, but I am not sure if they will allow you to cross over to Laos with an extensive overstay, there is a good chance they tell you to go to the airport and leave that way, so you might as well do that in any case.

Going to KK immigration will get you to Canada, not Laos, that much is almost 100% certain.

cdnmatt
March 15th, 2018, 16:08
Nice try, but you're trying way to hard. Prose a bit leaden, a bit heavy, hard to wander through.
'Chiauawia' vs 'Chihuahua' ... but I'll give you the blind thing on that one. ;)

Not much of a rebuttal there Smiles.

But yes, I'm just being blind again. Those small yappy dogs. You know, the ones who think they're really strong, all the while you wonder how far they would fly with a good and solid kick.

Those dogs.

arsenal
March 15th, 2018, 16:22
May wrote.
"Those small yappy dogs. You know, the ones who think they're really strong, all the while you wonder how far they would fly with a good and solid kick."

You could be describing one of our esteemed members here.

Smiles
March 15th, 2018, 20:04
. . . or, one of this boards most un-esteemed Moderators.

arsenal
March 15th, 2018, 21:51
:yahoo_mini:

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2018, 02:24
Couldn't edit my above post, so here it goes:

If I were you, I would do the following:

1) let Leo handle the dogs
2) get my ass to BKK airport, with a ticket to VTE, travel by train from KK to Hualamphong, take taxi to BKK, settle overstay at the airport and get to VTE by plane.

I understand trying to get to Nong Khai, might seem a lesser risk, but I am not sure if they will allow you to cross over to Laos with an extensive overstay, there is a good chance they tell you to go to the airport and leave that way, so you might as well do that in any case.

Going to KK immigration will get you to Canada, not Laos, that much is almost 100% certain.

No, I think I'll stick with the current plan. I'm simply unwilling to leave either Leo or my dogs behind in this life, so we're all going to Vientaien together.

I actually tried to get Leo to leave me multiple times recently after he cheated on me in Bangkok. He has more than enough money in his bank account to setup a new life for himself, but nope, he was adamant that he's not leaving me, hence I'm not leaving him.

I will not board a plane to Canada without him, simple as that. Again, I made that decision back on Sept 17th, 2016 to be exact. I simply will not leave him behind in this life, and he's quite obviously unwilling to leave me behind either. I'm blind and eccentric, so living with me isn't exactly easy, and I know that. He for some reason has decided to stay by my side though, so I'm not leaving him.

We should be fine at the Laos border. I'll do my best to get things resolved locally here, but nonetheless, I doubt they're going to put me in jail. For one, it's simply a dick move to arrest a blind guy. Plus who the hell wants to take care of a blind guy? Just ask Leo, it's a pain in the ass. It'll be a bit of work again, but I think we should get through to Vientiane without much issue.

Time will tell. Leo's in Vientiane right now hunting down a vacation rental for the next couple months, and I'm working on the immigration issue. Let's see what will happen.

More than my immigration status, I'mn worried about Leo being an idiot. For example, apparently he grabbed a 600 baht/night in hotel, and actually allowed reception to keep his passport. I actually had to explain to him why it's not a good idea to let otherws keep your passport. Had to tell him either get your passport back, or tell them to fuck off, and go find a new hotel.

He doesn't know simple things like that, and I have to trust him with finding a decent home in Vientiane, and not only taking care of myself, but my dogs as well. I'm blind, so I will be totally disorientated for the first 2 - 3 months in Vientiane, and totally dependant on him.

justaguy
March 16th, 2018, 03:53
Matt, good luck, just realize you are on a massive over stay, so if you go to KK Immigration their obligation is to de-port you (autocorrect bloody insist on changing the word to report, hence the hyphen !)

if they decide to follow normal procedure, you will not have any say, they will put you on a pane heading for Canada, as soon as you buy a ticket and pay the fine, with or without Leo.

That you are blind will probably not make any difference.

Maybe just maybe you will get a lenient treatment, maybe you can cross at FSB I even with a massive over stay, maybe not. Good luck is all I can say.

Blacktouch
March 16th, 2018, 07:39
Thailand enforces a 500 Baht/day fine for overstaying a visa. ... If you were to overstay by 2 days you can guarantee that you'd be hit with a 1000 baht fine, and so on up to a maximum fine of 20,000 baht. They also stamp your passport with an "overstay" stamp to record the fact that you overstayed.

22 May 2017 · Overstaying your visa is illegal. If you overstay for a short period you will have to pay a fine. However, if you overstay for more than 90 days then it is a serious offence and the result will be you are deported from Thailand and banned from visiting again.

The immigration rules state:

if someone overstays for more than 5 years and surrenders himself to the authorities, they are Banned for 10 years.

and if this person is overstayed 1 year and caught in the street by the authorities, they are banned for 10 years.

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2018, 07:56
Matt, good luck, just realize you are on a massive over stay, so if you go to KK Immigration their obligation is to de-port you (autocorrect bloody insist on changing the word to report, hence the hyphen !)

if they decide to follow normal procedure, you will not have any say, they will put you on a pane heading for Canada, as soon as you buy a ticket and pay the fine, with or without Leo.

That you are blind will probably not make any difference.

Maybe just maybe you will get a lenient treatment, maybe you can cross at FSB I even with a massive over stay, maybe not. Good luck is all I can say.

Time will tell. I've been living here since 2009, but cleared my overstay once in fall of 2013, which was simple. Paid my 20,000 baht fine at the Nong Khai border, and next day re-entered Thailand with a double entry tourist VISA. However, that was before they put the blacklisting laws into effect, and changed the laws so getting caught on overstay before hitting the border is punishable by 1 year in prison.

I've contacted multiple immigration lawyers and firms, but all say they're unable to help. My initial hope was to find a lawyer who has a "friend" at immigration who can get us across that border without issue for a "fine", but didn't work out. So yesterday I anonymously e-mailed immigration directly, explaining every and requesting leniency based on medical reasons. Just waiting to hear back.

I think it should be fine though. It's not like there isn't tons of Thai citizens currently residing illegally in Canada at the moment, so it's hardly the most egregious of offenses. Could really use a world without borders at the moment, especially since once we get through the headache of getting myself across the broder and a VISA for Laos, then we get to start the headache of getting Leo a VISA for Canada. Pain in the ass, I tell ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUGSYDKUxU

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2018, 09:03
Thinking about this, it's actually quite retarded. The only reason for these blacklisting laws is because the military decided to conduct a coup back in 2014, the general decided to self appoint himself as Prime Minister, and has yet to relinquish power and hold elections. He's also a xenophobe who doesn't like foreigners, so pushed congress to put these laws in place.

Can we just treat him the same as the sitting US President, feed him cheesebrugers in bed at night, and tell him not to worry about anything?

StevieWonders
March 16th, 2018, 10:28
Don't you have a new passport? What happens if you turn up at the border with just the new passport and play dumb about the lack of an entry stamp?

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2018, 12:42
Yes, I do have a new passport without a single stamp in it. Howeever, I don't have a new name or date of birth. They will be able to call me up in the computer without issue.

It'll be fine. They're not going to throw me in prison. If they do, I'll just go out of my way and throw a tantrum within the media about how inhumanely the Thai government treats blind Canadian citizens due to a simple overstay.

Anyway, guess I have a house in Vientiane now, so that's cool. 20,000 baht/month I've been told, so that's fine. I don't really care. As long as it has a large gated yard for the dogs, and I have my own bedroom with A/C, I'm happy. We'll worry about a more permanent, long-term home later once I'm there and we have time to scout out the city together.

francois
March 16th, 2018, 14:25
At least matt, you will have your imagination left in tact!:devilsh:

justaguy
March 16th, 2018, 15:33
Yes, I do have a new passport without a single stamp in it. Howeever, I don't have a new name or date of birth. They will be able to call me up in the computer without issue.

It'll be fine. They're not going to throw me in prison. If they do, I'll just go out of my way and throw a tantrum within the media about how inhumanely the Thai government treats blind Canadian citizens due to a simple overstay.

Anyway, guess I have a house in Vientiane now, so that's cool. 20,000 baht/month I've been told, so that's fine. I don't really care. As long as it has a large gated yard for the dogs, and I have my own bedroom with A/C, I'm happy. We'll worry about a more permanent, long-term home later once I'm there and we have time to scout out the city together.

"a simple overstay" ? You by your own admission are on an extensive overstay. A simple overstay is a few days, an overstay of years is not a simple overstay. But keep throwing a tantrum, it won't really help you at all. You will not be the first and you will not be the last that sees the inside of the IDC, until such time that you can be deported to Canada in your case. By the way, there is no such thing as a one year prison sentence for overstaying, there is nothing in the law that claims that, the punishment if you will is 500 baht a day, up to a 20K maximum and blacklisting + deportation. The only way to avoid deportation in your case, is either going to the airport (the surest way) or trying to cross at Nong Khai, as I already said, the last option is full of uncertanties.

But keep ignoring the advice, you seem to know it better.

justaguy
March 16th, 2018, 15:38
Don't you have a new passport? What happens if you turn up at the border with just the new passport and play dumb about the lack of an entry stamp?

They can match his entry/exit history by matching on name, DOB, and country, so that will not work.

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2018, 17:03
here is nothing in the law that claims that, the punishment if you will is 500 baht a day, up to a 20K maximum and blacklisting + deportation. The only way to avoid deportation in your case, is either going to the airport (the surest way) or trying to cross at Nong Khai, as I already said, the last option is full of uncertanties.

But keep ignoring the advice, you seem to know it better.

Read the new laws again. If I get checked by immigration before voluntarily turning myself in (ie. getting to that Nong Khai border), then yes, it's one year in Thai prison. If I hit a checkpoint on the way to Nong Khai, then I'm fucked. That's why I'm trying to take care of it here locally first.

And don't be stupid, this is hardly an egregious offense. Yeah, if I was selling drugs, or fucking children or something, then sure, throw me in jail. An overstay though? Hardly a big deal. The only reason those laws are currently in place is because there's a xenophobic general who conducted a military coup, appointed himself as Prime Minister, as has yet to hold elections.

scottish-guy
March 16th, 2018, 18:54
The unfortunate thing Matt is that you don't get to decide what is or is not an egregious offence, nor is there often any logical basis for how the justiciary sees things - that's why in the UK for example a bank robber usually gets a longer sentence than a rapist or even a murderer

justaguy
March 16th, 2018, 19:31
Read the new laws again. If I get checked by immigration before voluntarily turning myself in (ie. getting to that Nong Khai border), then yes, it's one year in Thai prison. If I hit a checkpoint on the way to Nong Khai, then I'm fucked. That's why I'm trying to take care of it here locally first.

And don't be stupid, this is hardly an egregious offense. Yeah, if I was selling drugs, or fucking children or something, then sure, throw me in jail. An overstay though? Hardly a big deal. The only reason those laws are currently in place is because there's a xenophobic general who conducted a military coup, appointed himself as Prime Minister, as has yet to hold elections.

Can you please quote the relevant Thai law, that imposes a one year prison sentence on overstay ?, I have never heard about that one, anywhere. Until such time that you can quote the relevant law I call utter and utter bullshit.

I will just quote the relevant state agency and note how it nowhere talks about a one year prison sentence:

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=589af08a3071e02b9c9be114

How am I being stupid, I merely pointed out to you what the consequences of your overstay could be, not that I agree with them, I personally find the Thai way to hung up over these minor issues. But what you or I think does not really matter, the law is the law, and will be applied, even to blind people.

And again, if you choose to take care of it locally, there is a very, very high chance, you are going to be deported. Only if you are extremely Lucky, they will tell you to run for the airport, or go to Bangkok, in the worst case, you end up in the IDC on your way to Canada, not Lao PDR. You have now sufficiently been warned.

You can't fix stupid. But do keep us posted, dying to find out how you end up :)

cdnmatt
March 16th, 2018, 20:55
I tried to Google it, but can't find that law anymore. Maybe it's changed, but I'm sure it was in there when the new black listing laws came out. Nonetheless, without question it's better I surrender myself to immigration instead of being caught by them beforehand.

I'm hoping to get a 72 hour VISA by local immigration, giving me safe passage across that Nong Khai border. Then if I get really lucky, what I'd really like is find an immigration officer at the local office here who has a pickup truck, and wants to make some extra money for a day road trip to Vientiane. Helps make me feel safe, plus those dog carrier cages weight about 30kg, and so do the dogs. That's two cages @ ~60kg each, so having someone willing to drive us all the way through the border to the new house in Vientiane would definitely be an added bonus, as walking those cages through immigration walk-in lines will be a pain.

Smiles
March 16th, 2018, 22:12
" ... It'll be fine. They're not going to throw me in prison. If they do, I'll just go out of my way and throw a tantrum within the media about how inhumanely the Thai government treats blind Canadian citizens due to a simple overstay... "God, you are such a massive simpleton. The tantrum will of course get you precisely nowhere ... they will sit and laugh at you. And rightly so.

Actually, this sentence from Justaguy sums you up to a tee:
" ... You can't fix stupid. But do keep us posted, dying to find out how you end up ... "
I think I've said this more than once ... i.e. I don't believe anything you say/write. Yep, the Board troll rolls on.

justaguy
March 16th, 2018, 22:13
You are just making this all up. Your last remark clearly gave that away :)

scottish-guy
March 16th, 2018, 22:42
It all reminds me of the Von Trapps trying to cross the border into Switzerland in The Sound of Music

justaguy
March 16th, 2018, 22:47
God, you are such a massive simpleton. The tantrum will of course get you precisely nowhere ... they will sit and laugh at you. And rightly so.

Actually, this sentence from Justaguy sums you up to a tee:
I think I've said this more than once ... i.e. I don't believe anything you say/write. Yep, the Board troll rolls on.

Yeah, after his last post, I am also convinced he is making all of this up. At least he did hook for a short while.

bobsaigon2
March 17th, 2018, 00:11
Whether real or a troll, I think it's quite obvious that this is identical to all of Matt's other threads: (1) Start by asking for advice, even though he has at least subconsciously already reached a decision on how to handle the matter. (2) Consider (not ignore) the advice received from forum members and explain at length why each suggestion does not apply to his situation. This continues regardless of how many suggestions are made, how much advice is given.

What Matt wants is just to have people join in, express their thoughts, so that he doesn't feel quite so isolated. Or if he’s a troll, he just wants to see how much he reels in. We have yet to see him agree with any poster or attempt to carry out any suggestion that has ever been offered. C'est notre Matt.

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 00:22
Well to be fair Matt was quite prepared (on the face of it) to meet Joe - but Joe cancelled not once, but twice.

Whether the meeting would ever have taken place is a matter for speculation but we can't say for certain that it wouldn't have.

Either way it doesn't matter to me - there is very little written on here that I take seriously, and I post accordingly

justaguy
March 17th, 2018, 01:22
Whether real or a troll, I think it's quite obvious that this is identical to all of Matt's other threads: (1) Start by asking for advice, even though he has at least subconsciously already reached a decision on how to handle the matter. (2) Consider (not ignore) the advice received from forum members and explain at length why each suggestion does not apply to his situation. This continues regardless of how many suggestions are made, how much advice is given.

What Matt wants is just to have people join in, express their thoughts, so that he doesn't feel quite so isolated. Or if he’s a troll, he just wants to see how much he reels in. We have yet to see him agree with any poster or attempt to carry out any suggestion that has ever been offered. C'est notre Matt.

Yeah, I am sure you are quite right. I remember the staying in the village thread, where he suggested to sleep in some tent, instead of simply sleeping with the family. He reeled me in on that threat, his idea was ludicrous, wondering if he still considers doing that :)

In any case, if he does try to settle the matter of his extensive overstay, he almost certainly will go back to Canada. Of course nothing is stopping him from reaching Lao PDR from canada, if only at a slightly higher cost :)

If I was him, I would not post my visa status on a public forum, unless my visa status was a valid one, that's why I think his whole overstay story is utter bollocks, how could someone be this stupid.

Davey612
March 17th, 2018, 01:43
I am sure ISOC reads this forum. Besides, how hard is it not to notice a blind person with a Canadian passport if such a person shows up at the border or airport control?

Still don't know how he reads this forum. Does he have a some software that reads the comments?

Anyway, something entertaining to pass my time

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 03:16
Considering some of the things people boast about doing on here, Matt's overstay is small beer for the authorities whether they be the ISOC or the FBI

arsenal
March 17th, 2018, 06:07
Smiles wrote.

"The tantrum will of course get you precisely nowhere ... they will sit and laugh at you. And rightly so."

Doesn't stop the anti board management sub-grpup here.

:yahoo_mini:

a447
March 17th, 2018, 08:28
Bob has summed up Matt's modus operandi perfectly.

Yet Matt still manages to rope people in, albeit in fewer numbers than before he went "blind."

If I was him, I would not post my visa status on a public forum, unless my visa status was a valid one, that's why I think his whole overstay story is utter bollocks, how could someone be this stupid.

And he also posted his photo here. At least he told us ii was him. Yet it was of a clean-shaven guy, despite him telling us that Leo is always on to him about shaving off his beard and moustache, which he refuses to do.

A lonely retiree with too much time on his hands, perhaps?

Hardly a crime.

If only he'd employ a ghost writer!

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 09:38
Actually it says more about the people who give it shit than it does about Matt

gerefan2
March 17th, 2018, 09:53
Matt has told us several times he is 36. Let’s work backwards...
He “says” he has been in Thailand 10+ years
He “says” he had a Hungarian hubby in Canada.
Presumably he had some time alone after leaving school/ university
Doesn’t quite add up...
You are right 447 he needs a writer to line up all his “stories”...

cdnmatt
March 17th, 2018, 10:47
Matt has told us several times he is 36. Let’s work backwards...
He “says” he has been in Thailand 10+ years
He “says” he had a Hungarian hubby in Canada.
Presumably he had some time alone after leaving school/ university
Doesn’t quite add up...
You are right 447 he needs a writer to line up all his “stories”...

I don't even have grade 10, let alone a high school or university diploma. I taught myself everything I know. :)

I started my first online business back when I was 16 actually. I was pissed off that my parents moved me to Texas, and since I couldn't get a job due to being Canadian, I figured out how to write software and make money on my own so I could go back to Canada. Started my first serious company when I was 19, and it's actually still humming along to this day. Sold it back in Oct 2005, but it's still online and seems to be going strong.

I was first married back in June, 2005. So that would make me what? 23 at the time I guess.

StevieWonders
March 17th, 2018, 10:56
That all sounds very admirable Matt but why go to a backwater like Thailand if you were such a success in your home country?

StevieWonders
March 17th, 2018, 10:58
Why are you so sure ISOC reads this forum Davey612??

sglad
March 17th, 2018, 13:05
I taught myself everything I know. :)

It shows.

cdnmatt
March 17th, 2018, 15:01
I don't know, instead of providing any rational explanations that I'll surely get blasted for and labelled a liar, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27eWdPoutjo

That guy cracks me up. Not quite as much as Steven Colbert, but pretty close.

justaguy
March 17th, 2018, 16:46
It shows.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

justaguy
March 17th, 2018, 16:47
I don't know, instead of providing any rational explanations that I'll surely get blasted for and labelled a liar, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27eWdPoutjo

That guy cracks me up. Not quite as much as Steven Colbert, but pretty close.

You are labelled a liar because your explanations are anything but rational. I would have thought you are still wearing diapers.

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 17:44
... I would have thought you are still wearing diapers.

Careful now, there may be some SGT members into that

justaguy
March 17th, 2018, 18:08
Careful now, there may be some SGT members into that

Oh, well in that case, let me rephrase: some of his thoughts and ideas seem to come from a 15 year old.

francois
March 17th, 2018, 18:13
Oh, well in that case, let me rephrase: some of his thoughts and ideas seem to come from a 15 year old.

Or perhaps a 65 year old.

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 18:25

Oh dear you've repeated the error

:D

cdnmatt
March 17th, 2018, 18:46
You are labelled a liar because your explanations are anything but rational. I would have thought you are still wearing diapers.

Ok, what about my explanations? I'm 100% certain that back in 2014 when those black listing laws were put into effect, there were two sets of rules depending on whether you surrendered to immigration or were caught illegally residing here. The latter came with a 1 year imprisonment term. Maybe they've reviewed the laws since then due to international uproar, but I'm sure that's what it was when those laws were first enacted.

What else is so irrational?

What's irrational is me having to explain to Leo why it's a bad idea to let hotel recepption or motorcycle rental shops keep your passport. Come on dude, that's travelling 101.

Then also having to argue with him that we're not paying 6 or 12 months up front for a house. He says it's because things are differently in Laos, I tell him to fuck off because I've rented probably 30 houses in various countries in the world, and nobody in their right mind ever pays 6 or 12 months rent up front. He told me that's just how it is in Laos, I told him to go buy some nice business clothes, and don't be shy.\

See what happens.

justaguy
March 17th, 2018, 19:16
Ok, what about my explanations? I'm 100% certain that back in 2014 when those black listing laws were put into effect, there were two sets of rules depending on whether you surrendered to immigration or were caught illegally residing here. The latter came with a 1 year imprisonment term. Maybe they've reviewed the laws since then due to international uproar, but I'm sure that's what it was when those laws were first enacted.

What else is so irrational?

What's irrational is me having to explain to Leo why it's a bad idea to let hotel recepption or motorcycle rental shops keep your passport. Come on dude, that's travelling 101.

Then also having to argue with him that we're not paying 6 or 12 months up front for a house. He says it's because things are differently in Laos, I tell him to fuck off because I've rented probably 30 houses in various countries in the world, and nobody in their right mind ever pays 6 or 12 months rent up front. He told me that's just how it is in Laos, I told him to go buy some nice business clothes, and don't be shy.\

See what happens.

Oh please, there was NEVER any mention of a one year prison sentence. The rules weren't put into place in 2014, but only in 2016. You are confused, utterly confused.

I do believe Leo is not being entirely honest with you, but I am a bit shy to even go there, before we know it, it will lead to a whole new saga.

But do continue, it IS kind of amusing.

bobsaigon2
March 17th, 2018, 19:53
Matt, It may well be that Laos is one of several countries where landlords demand a year's rent in advance. Recently read of one of Saudi Arabia's neighboring countries where this is the custom.

arsenal
March 17th, 2018, 20:05
Post 69.
Only one.

Smiles
March 17th, 2018, 20:16
The option of paying rent by the year is fairly common in Thailand ... certainly in my neighbourhood here in Hua Hin. The discount one gets can be substantial and Thai absentee owners love it . . . and I love it, only having to touch base with them once a year.
I would guess that in Lao the same goes, though granted, most such rental styles are used by foreigners.

Your sophmoric "fuck this and fuck that" responses whenever things you don't like raise their ugly heads is just one more example of your childlike naivete. You buster, are one angry dude, usually found sloshing down numerous pints of cheap beer in godawful bars on Hastings St.

Is that the same nasty manner in which you treat your so-called 'husband'? For instance: " ... I tell him to fuck off ... "

we know it, it will lead to a whole new saga.
Have no fear Justaguy, this is only saga #327. More to come very soon.

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 20:54
TIME OUT

Oh dear it seems I'm the only one who continues to give Matt the benefit of the doubt.

Anyhoo, and without any desire whatsoever to get involved in what will surely come to be know as the Great SGT Immigration Spat of 2018, I simply offer this from ThaiVisa, which I must point out was posted in 2010 and almost certainly will be out of date but the dispute is over Matt's historical recollection after all so I thought it apposite

SUMMARY OF CURRENT OVERSTAY REGULATIONS IN THAILAND:

Under the Immigration Act 2522 overstay is punishable by a jail term of 2 years and/or a fine of maximum 20,000 baht.

"Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with

permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding

two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both."

Immigration Act download: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a84562-Immigration-Act-EN.pdf.html

TIME IN

justaguy
March 17th, 2018, 22:11
Matt is talking about the blacklisting, which came into effect in 2016:

https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/immigration-chief-good-guys-in-bad-guys-out/

no-one is jailed for overstay in Thailand, they are put into the IDC and are released the minute they can produce a ticket out of the country, to the country of origin. Hence the advice to have a ticket to Canada ready once he will try to sort things out locally

scottish-guy
March 17th, 2018, 23:33
Here endeth my interest

Probably

StevieWonders
March 18th, 2018, 08:34
And pay the fine, no? If can't pay the fine it's 100 days

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 10:23
Right, if you can't pay the fine, you work it off in jail at 200 baht/day, so 100 days. I can pay the fine though, so non-issue.

I'm just a little worried about what's going to happen when I hit that Nong Khai border? Do I get detained and brought before a judge? Or do they just blacklist me there and then, and tell me to fuck off out of Thailand? I'm blind, plus will have two 30kg dogs with me when I hit the border.

That, and I don't want to take the chance of travelling down the highway, because if I hit a checkpoint before I hit the border, then it's a whole new problem. Still haven't heard back from immigration, so who knows.

That, and Leo apparently isn't capable of finding a house in Vientiane. He's adamant that we need to pay 6 or 12 months rent upfront, and he better not do that, or I'll be pissed. Not sure what do about this now. Maybe just get him back to Khon Kaen, get him to the mall and dressed up in a 3 piece business suit, get some business cards printed, and fire him off back to Vientiane. I'm illegal, plus I need to stay here and take care of the dogs, so he needs to figure out how to rent a house on his own

One last hurdle, and we're living a life beyond dreams. Come on honey, pull through for me.

Smiles
March 18th, 2018, 10:54
Here endeth my interest.
Probably
Don't abandon the Titanic just yet mate. It's getting dumber by the day with his last post.
He's about to buy Leo a tuxedo to ensure that Immigration will -- of course! -- open the gates to Lao with big smiles, whispering "Wow, Hi So".
It will get even better ... probably.

mr giggles
March 18th, 2018, 11:31
[QUOTE=cdnmatt;238379]Really? So what Leo told me is the truth, and he actually needs to be in-person in Bangkok for a criminal background check? How absolutely fucken retarded.

In Canada, you can't even get a job as a taxi driver without a criminal background check, and it's a cery standard procedure thqat takes 5 minutes and about $10. I remember before when I got my farang husband permanent residency status to Canada, it took four criminal background checks -- Canada, Florida, FBI, Hungary. We were able to do all four in Canada without issue.

you're not in Canada any more, Dorothy!

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 11:33
No, my immigration status to Laos is already covered.

It's just Leo seems to be incapable of renting us a house, because he says everyone requires 6 or 12 months rent up front. No, that's one of those travelling 101 things you simply don't do.

I guess he's coming back tomorrow, so now I don't know what the fuck to do. I guess I'll just find a house on the internet myself, even though I don't speak Laos, am not in Vientiane, plus am blind so can't see photos of the place. I'm sure this will work out just splendidly.

Fuck honey, just get a house, even if it's just a vacation rental for a month or two. Just somewhere with a large gated yard where we can put the dogs. How difficult could that possibly be? He has a budget of about 200,000 baht. That should be more than enough to get us a house for a month or two.

bobsaigon2
March 18th, 2018, 11:36
http://jclao.com/all-expats-need-to-know-about-rental-in-laos/

Rent Payment:
Unlike in western countries, most landowners in Laos do not expect bond money (a security deposit). Most leases for houses are paid a year in advance and in cash, a few landlords may accept six months in advance. Most apartments accept monthly payments, some however take a security deposit. The longer the rent is paid in advance, the better the chances are to reduce the total rent price or to negotiate for additional furniture or fittings.

mr giggles
March 18th, 2018, 11:39
Oh my, what utter rubbish, to get to Nong Khai from Khon Kaen, you need to travel on the very same highway, going the other way !

You could take the train if you are that worried about being checked, or let Leo go alone, I'm sure he can manage. And I already understood the criminal check was for Leo, hence the visa remark.

But now I still see you want to get to Lao illegally, which is utterly stupid, you are not a Lao, so you will go from being illegally in Thailand to being illegally in Lao. Granted, the Lao are not this stung up with the whole issue of overstaying than the Thai, but it might be a good idea to bite the bullet, secure Leo a visa, go to the Airport and fly back to Canada with him. All that will happen is you will pay 20K overstay fine and get blacklisted for 10 years. No big deal :)

Edit: I just realized, you might actually be thinking of crossing the border at Nong Khai normally, and expected to get a 10 year blacklist + 20K fine, as opposed to crossing the border illegally.

Did you inquire if that is even possible, it wouldn't surprise me if they send you back to Bangkok with a massive overstay. Quite possibly to the IDC. If I were you, I would have a ticket out to Canada ready just in case..

Yeah Matt, so you will blacklisted for 10 years in Thailand and Laos, and Leo is only on a Canadian visitor visa so will have to leave Canada.

So, you will end up in different continents shortly.... well, you were never that happy with the relationship so you can finally get rid of him, good thinking!

mr giggles
March 18th, 2018, 11:44
Too be quick and blunt: there isn't a chance in hell your 'husband' will be able to obtain a Visa to get into Canada.
You've managed to break Thailand's immigration laws for years now, so I doubt you are much of a fall back helper with that, given that your own Canadian passport is full of lies itself.
There's so much nonsense and stupidity in your posts on this thread that it boggles the mind ...starting out mundanely with the background check fee being $10 -- it's actually $28 -- and getting more surreal by the sentence.

In Australia, it's $139.00 for a fingerprint and National Police Check application, where fingerprints are taken and processed by the Fed Police.

Smiles
March 18th, 2018, 13:01
Mr Giggles ... just FYI: I assume the quite large difference in fee cost between Canada and Oz is that, in my one-time only need for such a criminal record document, is that fingerprints were not needed (don't ask me why) in my case. Thus the rather small fee.

neddy3
March 18th, 2018, 13:02
Oh my! The tension is really building, as 'the great escape' nears.

This is one of the better parts of this novel.

a447
March 18th, 2018, 14:14
This is one of the better parts of this novel.

Everything is relative!

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 15:17
http://jclao.com/all-expats-need-to-know-about-rental-in-laos/

Rent Payment:
Unlike in western countries, most landowners in Laos do not expect bond money (a security deposit). Most leases for houses are paid a year in advance and in cash, a few landlords may accept six months in advance. Most apartments accept monthly payments, some however take a security deposit. The longer the rent is paid in advance, the better the chances are to reduce the total rent price or to negotiate for additional furniture or fittings.

Shit, so what he's been telling me is actually correct? I don't care, no, we're not paying 6 or 12 months rent up front. That's one of those basic rules you just don't do, same as you never let others hold your passport. Again, travelling 101.

He has one of those old style bank passport books (didn't know pwople still used those), so I told him to go show the house owner(s) he's been talking to, and prove we have 12 months of rent in cash. Maybe that will help. I'm not willing to pay it up front though. I will pay for 3 months -- 2 months deposit, 1 month rent. From there, then we'll pay rent on a monthly basis.

He says he's coming back tomorrow. If he shows up saying, "hey honey, I got keys to a new house and it only cost me 300,00 baht", I'm going to be livid. As it turns out, if you pay for rent that far in advance, and there ends up being a problem like the roof starts leaking, then the owners may not give a shit because they already have your money.

bobsaigon2
March 18th, 2018, 15:37
Shit, so what he's been telling me is actually correct? I don't care, no, we're not paying 6 or 12 months rent up front. That's one of those basic rules you just don't do, same as you never let others hold your passport. Again, travelling 101.

You don't care that what he's been telling you is actually correct? You might give some thought to what Leo goes through every time he has to explain to a landlord that 6 or 12 months rent pre-payment is not allowed in Matt's version of "Travelling 101".

Or you might give some thought to updating your edition of "Travelling 101" to include the possibility that in some countries there's no way to avoid paying 6 or 12 months rent in advance.

Just a thought.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 15:48
Yep, I'm empathetic to Leos situation at the moment. Still doesn't change the fact I'm not paying for 6 or 12 months rent up front. That would be stupid.

scottish-guy
March 18th, 2018, 17:11
With respect Matt (and I'm one of the few people here not calling you a liar), the entire situation you've got yourself into is "stupid"

Blacktouch
March 18th, 2018, 20:02
Oh please, there was NEVER any mention of a one year prison sentence. The rules weren't put into place in 2014, but only in 2016. You are confused, utterly confused.

I do believe Leo is not being entirely honest with you, but I am a bit shy to even go there, before we know it, it will lead to a whole new saga.

But do continue, it IS kind of amusing.

Are you saying Leo is using him for his money?

Paying 6 to 12 months rent for a house upfront is not a good thing. Does Leo know the owner of the house? Something does not sound right?

Blacktouch
March 18th, 2018, 20:18
Yep, I'm empathetic to Leos situation at the moment. Still doesn't change the fact I'm not paying for 6 or 12 months rent up front. That would be stupid.

There must be a rental owner somewhere, who is willing to rent out a house without 6 or 12 months rent in advance?

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 20:56
With respect Matt (and I'm one of the few people here not calling you a liar), the entire situation you've got yourself into is "stupid"

Yeah, I know. Love makes people do stupid things. That's why my family is still angry at me, and Leo's family is angry at him (I think). I didn't go back to Canada upon going blind, and Leo didn't go back to live in his village when his father fell ill. We decided we love each other too much, and stuck it out together.

And it worked, because we're actually on good and firm footing right now. Well, except for this upcoming move which scares the shit out of me for a multitude of reasons. I've never moved blind before, so I'm uncertain how that will affect me. Need to stay strong though, as need to keep the money rolling in.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 21:09
Are you saying Leo is using him for his money?

Paying 6 to 12 months rent for a house upfront is not a good thing. Does Leo know the owner of the house? Something does not sound right?

Oh no, trust is an absolutely non-issue if that's what you're implying. I trust him 100% with my life, and never question his motivations. That's a complete non-issue. Again, he's the one who has taken care of me every single day since I went blind, nobody else. And trust me, that wasn't easy on him either. He's gone well above and beyond what's required to prove himself as a moral individual with high character.

What makes me uncomfortable is, well... he's an idiot without much experience in this world. It would be very easy to take advantage of him, and I'm sure others easily pick up on that, and that's what worries me. I've lived in 8 countries, travelled to about 30 countries, have rented dozens of places, and so on -- I know how this works. He on the other hand, I think this is the first time he's ever rented a place like this in his life. And there's a lot of people out there who are not nice people, so that has me a little worried.

I'm pretty sure my worry doesn't matter in the slightest though. I'm quite confident he's not going to listen to me, and will show up tomorrow afternoon with a new set of keys to some house in Vientiane that cost him 240,000 baht. Hope it's nice, because me and the dogs will be living there for the next year. He knows we need to be out of this house by the 1st, as I already promised the owners we'd be gone. I think this is the third time they've tried getting us out, and they're finally getting their wish. They're coming to Thailand at the end of the month, and want to renovate before Songkran.

scottish-guy
March 18th, 2018, 21:10
.. I didn't go back to Canada upon going blind, and Leo didn't go back to live in his village when his father fell ill. We decided we love each other too much, and stuck it out together..

I was thinking more about you overstaying your Thai Visa by several years.

When the smarter half of the duo is in the shit, the whole situation becomes altogether more problematic.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 21:41
I was thinking more about you overstaying your Thai Visa by several years.

When the smarter half of the duo is in the shit, the whole situation becomes altogether more problematic.

Again, love makes you do stupid things. I initially overstayed because I wanted to stay with Kim, as I decided love is the most important thing in life. After we broke up, I already had the dogs who I love like my own kids, plus was comfortable in Khon Kaen, so I just stayed. Then I found Leo in life, and here we are today...

Don't worry, I'm good at things like this. For example, technically I should have never been granted a passport, but I somehow convinced the Canadian government to give me one. I didn't have photo ID, plus used my parents as a guarantor, but I still got a passport. I'll figure out some way to get across that Nong Khai border with myself and my dogs intact.

Registered
March 18th, 2018, 21:41
I have not read through this entire thread but for visitors to Canada, including one involving an invitation from a Canadian common law partner, no criminal record check is asked for (though they will ask him to say that he is not a war criminal ).

For the permanent move it is required, from every country that he has lived in for a certain period of time, I don’t remember how long. If he has been travelling to Thailand for a couple of months at a time visa free perhaps it will not be required of Thailand. Often it is done in the capital, can take a few weeks, and is somewhat complex. But I am not familiar about such things for Thailand or Laos, only for another country.

Registered
March 18th, 2018, 21:43
The other thing that you should know Matt is that your chances of getting a visitors visa is very very low. Your chance of sponsoring him for a permanent move is substantially higher, pretty good if you can establish that you are in a common law relationship.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 22:00
The other thing that you should know Matt is that your chances of getting a visitors visa is very very low. Your chance of sponsoring him for a permanent move is substantially higher, pretty good if you can establish that you are in a common law relationship.

No, getting him permanent residency status is by no means easier. I know, I was able to get my first husband who was Hungarian approved for PR status. It took about 18 months, 6 inches of documentation, and around $8000.

I know what I'm in for, and am certain I can get him granted a visitor VISA. From there, we'll just see how he takes to Canada. Personally, I would prefer to stay in Asia, but we'll see how he takes to Canadian society and culture, as he's never experienced culture schock before. Who knows, maybe he decides he loves Canada and wants to go to university there, which will come with a whole new set of problems, but nothing that's impossible. Maybe he will find Canada very cold and isolating of a society (my guess), and will want to live in Vientiane and just visit a couple times a year to see my family.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 22:09
Oh, and no, I won't be able to get him into Canada under common law. I have a much better chance getting him in under medical reasons due to me being blind, and the fact he acts as my eyes in this life. Plus I'm going very far out of my way to go 300% above the minimum requirements of a visitor VISA.

We'll be fine, and I'm not too worried about that. Getting him PR status though requires us to be legally married in Canada, which I'm fine with, but again, all depends on how he takes to Canadian society. That, and Canadian law stipulates we need to reside in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years in order to retain PR status, and I'm uncertain if we'd do that. Personally, I would prefer to stay in Asia, but if he decides on Canada, then I'll think about it.

Registered
March 18th, 2018, 22:11
I wish you luck, but at this point visiting a spouse visa is unlikely as they will want proof that he will leave Canada, and that is hard to establish. If he had visited six similar countries in the past and left in a timely manner, or was a surgeon who had to return to his job in three months, if he owned a million dollars in property and had a business, those are the people that are getting approved to visit their spouse.

Better chances getting a student visa, or a visa to go skiing in the Rockies (with no mention of you), etc. it does not help that he is Laotian. I suspect also that he will find Canada very cold , in more ways than one. Other than Netflix and what is being legalized, the best thing that it has going for it is that it is not south of the border.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 22:22
Again, don't worry, I'll get him granted a 6 month visitor VISA. I'm not worried about that. When it comes to things like this, I don't fuck around, and go well above and beyond what's required.

Again, I know what I'm in for, and it will be fine. He will be granted a VISA. It'll be a pain in the ass and take quite a bit of work, but that's fine.

From there, we just see how he takes to Canadian society, and take it from there. Personally, I think he'll take it, but we'll see. You can't go out and buy sticky rice on the streets of Canada.

justaguy
March 18th, 2018, 22:27
Don't abandon the Titanic just yet mate. It's getting dumber by the day with his last post.
He's about to buy Leo a tuxedo to ensure that Immigration will -- of course! -- open the gates to Lao with big smiles, whispering "Wow, Hi So".
It will get even better ... probably.

This post just made my day, thank you very much 5555555555555555555555555

justaguy
March 18th, 2018, 22:31
No, my immigration status to Laos is already covered.

It's just Leo seems to be incapable of renting us a house, because he says everyone requires 6 or 12 months rent up front. No, that's one of those travelling 101 things you simply don't do.

I guess he's coming back tomorrow, so now I don't know what the fuck to do. I guess I'll just find a house on the internet myself, even though I don't speak Laos, am not in Vientiane, plus am blind so can't see photos of the place. I'm sure this will work out just splendidly.

Fuck honey, just get a house, even if it's just a vacation rental for a month or two. Just somewhere with a large gated yard where we can put the dogs. How difficult could that possibly be? He has a budget of about 200,000 baht. That should be more than enough to get us a house for a month or two.

200.000 baht, you could almost buy whole of Vientiane for that kind of money, two months ROFL.

bobsaigon2
March 18th, 2018, 23:24
This has to be the most bizarre thread since the beginning of the KK Tales. It's almost as if Matt had one of those electric tennis rackets, not to fry mosquitoes, but to bat away every suggestion, objection, bit of advice coming his way. A truly awesome skill level.

cdnmatt
March 18th, 2018, 23:50
This has to be the most bizarre thread since the beginning of the KK Tales. It's almost as if Matt had one of those electric tennis rackets, not to fry mosquitoes, but to bat away every suggestion, objection, bit of advice coming his way. A truly awesome skill level.

What? No, it's because everyone else is even more pessimistic than me, and I'm quite pessimistic in my old age. I asked about criminal background checks, and KKJason said that yes, he does actually have to go to Bangkok to get fingerprinted and get a background check. That seems utterly retarded to me, but whatever, it is what it is.

He'll be back tomorrow afternoon, and I guess can go to Bangkok in the mnext couple days for that, before we head to Vientiane.

scottish-guy
March 19th, 2018, 00:01
Dare one ask what's happening to the 10 and 12yo boys (or whatever ages they were) - you're not thinking of fleeing the country with them as well are you?

Blacktouch
March 19th, 2018, 00:39
What? No, it's because everyone else is even more pessimistic than me, and I'm quite pessimistic in my old age. I asked about criminal background checks, and KKJason said that yes, he does actually have to go to Bangkok to get fingerprinted and get a background check. That seems utterly retarded to me, but whatever, it is what it is.

He'll be back tomorrow afternoon, and I guess can go to Bangkok in the mnext couple days for that, before we head to Vientiane.

We all look forward to hearing the outcome tomorrow when Leo returns?

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2018, 03:32
Dare one ask what's happening to the 10 and 12yo boys (or whatever ages they were) - you're not thinking of fleeing the country with them as well are you?

No, we don't have the kids yet. They're in a village 70km from Savannahket. And apparently it's three kids now. Two cousinds that are boys, I think 9 and 11 years old, then Leo's sister has a daughter around 9 years old she doesn't want either. However, the eldest boy has apparently changed his mind, and wants to stay in the village as he doesn't want to leave his friends, which is understandable.

I have no idea what's happening with that anymore. I keep telling Leo we're not taking the kids anymore, but he's 100% adament that we are taking them, and tells me it's not up to me. Then I have to remind him that I'm the one who works every day and magically makes money show up in the bank account, so yes, it is actually up to me.

I don't know, right now I'm just worried about getting to Vientiane into a house with the dogs, while keeping my ass out of a Thai jail cell. We'll worry about the kids later.

I would absolutely love to be a foster parent, but don't really want it anymore. After Leo cheated on me with that farang in Bangkok, I no longer trust him 100%. Well, I do trust him 100%, but it's just different now. That, and we have two totally different mind sets if we take those kids. My mind set is if we take them, we're taking them until they're finished high school at the very least, if not until they're finisyhed university. His mindset is he just wants some kids for a couple years to have friends and play with, and who he can boss around to take care of the house chores. I'm 100% opposed to that.

He tells me it's no problems, and that's just how things work in Laos, and it's a non-issue. I view it as being a self centered dick. If we take the kids, then we have to take them for the right reasons. At the same time, neither of the parents sound like they're too enthusiastic about having their kids and would love to get rid of them, so who knows. Right now, I'm worried about getting to Vientiane safely with my dogs.

a447
March 19th, 2018, 08:00
.....to bat away every suggestion, objection, bit of advice coming his way. A truly awesome skill level.

Matt isn't after suggestions or advice. He's after attention.

StevieWonders
March 19th, 2018, 08:29
What will happen when an NGO finds out that a Western homosexual is living with several boys, some under age?

Smiles
March 19th, 2018, 08:36
" ... No, we don't have the kids yet. They're in a village 70km from Savannahket. And apparently it's three kids now. Two cousinds that are boys, I think 9 and 11 years old, then Leo's sister has a daughter around 9 years old she doesn't want either. However, the eldest boy has apparently changed his mind, and wants to stay in the village as he doesn't want to leave his friends, which is understandable.

I have no idea what's happening with that anymore. I keep telling Leo we're not taking the kids anymore, but he's 100% adament that we are taking them, and tells me it's not up to me. Then I have to remind him that I'm the one who works every day and magically makes money show up in the bank account, so yes, it is actually up to me ... "
Ohhh ... you forgot the kids eh? But that was some time ago right? Just far enough back to keep your fingers crossed that no one will remember.
Hey, I forget it ... but apparently some one this board didn't.
Thus ... a brand new story line: " ... We're Not Taking the Kids Anymore ... ". A Tarantino film coming up.

Matt, you are such a Trumpian style liar. That nasty piece of work just hovering below the Canada border uses exactly the same type of modus operandi that you use. Namely: "Obfuscate, then lie, till the cows come home."

francois
March 19th, 2018, 09:21
What? No, it's because everyone else is even more pessimistic than me, and I'm quite pessimistic in my old age.

Is that an admission you are not who you claim to be?

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2018, 09:21
What will happen when an NGO finds out that a Western homosexual is living with several boys, some under age?

Ummm, nothing? They're kids, I'm not going to hurt them you idiot. Well aside from the occasional flour fight in the kitchen while they're helping me bake cookies, but that's about it. Not to mention, they're Leo's family.

And it's not multiple boys. From what I last heard it's one boy and one girl. I'd prefer all 3 of them so the brothers can stay together, but apparently the eldest boy doesn't want to leave his friends in the village, while the youngest can't wait to get out of there, so not really up to me.

I highly doubt we'll take the kids anyway. Leo's adament that we're taking them, and after he cheated on me in Bangkok, I'm pretty adament we're not taking them. He wants them for the wrong reasons:

- He wants to help, because they're family, and knows we can provide them a far better life than their mothers can.
- He wants friends to play with and loves kids.
- He wants servants to help with the house chores. The dogs are good at ensuring the floor stays dirty, and I'm not willing to lock them outside.
- He wants to continue pushing me forward in life, and knows if I end up with two or three kids I'm responsible for, I'll push myself 10 times harder in the business world than I currently do. He knows what I'm capable of, and also knows I don't push myself to my extent.
- Most importantly, he knows full well if we take those kids, then I can't leave him. If he decides to cheat on me again, then there will be nothing I can really do about it, because I'll have 2 or 3 kids I'm responsible for.

Without question I can take care of them financially, and provide them a far better life than they have now. Then without question Leo would be amazing in the wife role, and ensuring they get to and from school, and things like that. Since going blind I've spent an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen, so I can be the chef of the family and cook excellent dinners every night, no problem. Leo is very health concious and loves sports, so he could take care of that since I'm unable to.

I don't know, doesn't matter right now anyway. Their school year doesn't end until June, so they're staying in the village until at least July. That's if we even take them, but I'm currently opposed to it, although Leo is quite adament that he wants to take them.

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2018, 10:44
Is that an admission you are not who you claim to be?

No, it means I'm 36. Ask Leo, I'm an old man.

And while I'm at it, honey, would you please fuck off and quit reading the board? I know you're reading this. Let me have my private space.

If you do come back today, we're having spicy pork goulash with steamed rice for dinner. The pork is already defrosting.

arsenal
March 19th, 2018, 10:54
Surreal.

neddy3
March 19th, 2018, 11:18
Don't worry, I'm good at things like this. For example, technically I should have never been granted a passport, but I somehow convinced the Canadian government to give me one. I didn't have photo ID, plus used my parents as a guarantor, but I still got a passport. I'll figure out some way to get across that Nong Khai border with myself and my dogs intact.

Right!
Things are so much easier in the fictional world.

bobsaigon2
March 19th, 2018, 11:34
Surreal.

I think it goes beyond "surreal". How about phantasmagoric ?

mr giggles
March 19th, 2018, 12:43
Matt's Post # 99
Oh no, trust is an absolutely non-issue if that's what you're implying. I trust him 100% with my life, and never question his motivations. That's a complete non-issue.

Matt's Post # 114
I would absolutely love to be a foster parent, but don't really want it anymore. After Leo cheated on me with that farang in Bangkok, I no longer trust him 100%.

This story changes by the hour :love:

mr giggles
March 19th, 2018, 12:48
MATT:
[QUOTE=cdnmatt;238664]No, getting him permanent residency status is by no means easier. I know, I was able to get my first husband who was Hungarian approved for PR status. It took about 18 months, 6 inches of documentation, and around $8000.

You do realise Matt, that you can't get PR for an unlimited number of husbands - depending on your whims? Aren't there enough people living on the public purse in Canada, without you bringing in more? Who will it be after Leo? :rolleyes:

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2018, 16:28
MATT:
[QUOTE=cdnmatt;238664]No, getting him permanent residency status is by no means easier. I know, I was able to get my first husband who was Hungarian approved for PR status. It took about 18 months, 6 inches of documentation, and around $8000.

You do realise Matt, that you can't get PR for an unlimited number of husbands - depending on your whims? Aren't there enough people living on the public purse in Canada, without you bringing in more? Who will it be after Leo? :rolleyes:

No, my first husband is in Budapest. He's not allowed back in Canada, because he didn't reside there 2 out of every 5 years, effectively flushing his PR status down the toilet.

Getting Leo PR status isn't really on the table at the moment. I'll get him a visitor VISA first, so we can go visit my family, and we'll just see how to takes to Canadian society. I'm 50/50 on it, as to whether he'll like Canada, or breath a huge sigh of relief upon getting back to Asia. It's his life dream to visit Canada though, plus I want to see my family, so I'll take him. Besides, I need his eyes to travel like that.

If he does like it, we'll see about getting him enrolled at a university there, most likely in Toronto. He'll probably have to take a couple years at adult high school to get a GED, but nothing that's impossible. First though, he needs to advance his English, which we're working on.

justaguy
March 19th, 2018, 16:44
Matt I am confused, on 15-3 you claimed to not have 72 hours to spare and that you are in your final days in Thailand. 4 days later you still seem to be in Thailand ?

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2018, 16:51
No, we don't have an EXTRA 72 hours to spare. He's on the bus right now, on his way back here. I promised the house owners we'd be out by the 25th at the latest, and we still have a few preparations to make here. Maybe he can fit in a quick trip to Bangkok as I expected this Vientiane trip to last longer than it did. I think he just misses my cooking. :)

I think he got a house for 3 months up front -- 2 months deposit, 1 month rent, like I basically demanded. I really hope he didn't pay 12 months up front, because I'll be pissed.

Thinking about that, where the fuck did the house owners go? They generally reply within hours, and it's been days. Whatever, I'm all paid up and even gave them extra money for upcoming electric bill and renovations. If they don't reply and tell me what they want done with the keys, I'll just put them in the neighbor's mailbox, as they own that house too

justaguy
March 19th, 2018, 17:12
Oh my, so this saga continues to at least the 25th. Somehow I am guessing it might even be prolonged beyond that. I am wondering if they allow internet access at the IDC.

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2018, 17:23
No, it's ok. It will end in a couple hours once my husband comes back. :)

I'm just not very good at being alone in life. And I can't exactly just go out for a night on the town by myself. Tried that a few times, and random strangers just get worried about me, and bring me back home. I'm kinda like in a nice little 3 bedroom prison here.

StevieWonders
March 20th, 2018, 09:53
Ummm, nothing? They're kids, I'm not going to hurt them you idiot.Obviously you don't understand how these NGOs work. They will see a single Western man living with a group of kids and assume you are up to no good. They will not investigate you. They will not ask you questions. They will just assume you are guilty (in their eyes). They will then go chat to the local Lao police. The local police are the ones who will pay you a visit, or two, or three. And remember, the police don't want to be seen to be making a mistake in the eyes of the NGO

Jellybean
March 20th, 2018, 10:02
. . . He says he's coming back tomorrow. If he shows up saying, "hey honey, I got keys to a new house and it only cost me 300,00 baht", I'm going to be livid . . .

So you were “livid” cdnmatt. Now, that’s a word I associate from a bygone era and can imagine the British actor, raconteur and diarist, Kenneth Williams, in one of the 1960s Carry On films saying . . .

Ooooh . . . I was livid, absolutely livid I was!

And, to be honest, this saga of yours is turning out to be a right old carry on, so your use of the word ‘livid’ seems entirely apposite* in the circumstances.

;)

*I thought perhaps we should keep this word in the limelight whilst its originator is currently sitting on the naughty step.

arsenal
March 20th, 2018, 10:18
Naughty Jellybean. Waving red flags to antagonise the bull. An Aberdeen Angus in this case.
:devilsh:

Jellybean
March 20th, 2018, 13:01
Naughty Jellybean. Waving red flags to antagonise the bull. An Aberdeen Angus in this case.
:devilsh:

Oh No! You know you’re in deep doo-doo when they threaten to release the Aberdeen Angus*. In past years they released the Kraken, now they’ve upped the ante. Between you and me dear reader, I blame all this on scottish-guy, (well, you’ve got to blame someone) for this escalation in the degree of punishments ‘they’ mete out. If only he’d kept his trap shut, eh?

Now let think about this. I had better take some sensible security precautions while attending Thursday’s Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club dinner. I’ll have to be on the lookout for any suspicious characters lurking around the food area. You never know, 'they' might attempt to put some Aberdeen Angus* in my meatloaf. You can’t be too careful these days, look what happened in sleepy Salisbury of all places!

Sorry to have gone slightly off topic cndmatt, but look on the bright side, I've bumped your topic to the top of the page.

And while on the subject of meatloaf, may I ask, have you ever cooked meatloaf for Leo from Laos? I understand from my cousins in Canada that meatloaf is a firm favourite with Canadians. So now might be the time to get Leo adjusted to the taste. Just a thought.

;)

*Aberdeen Angus a synonym for a nerve agent according to SIS at ‘the circus’ in London. [Now how’s that for being topical?]

Smiles
March 20th, 2018, 15:56
And while on the subject of meatloaf, may I ask, have you ever cooked Leo from Laos meatloaf? I understand from my cousins in Canada that meatloaf is a firm favourite with Canadians. So now might be the time to get Leo adjusted to the taste.
Oops Jelly Bean, ya got it all wrong mate.
Canadians are much more sophisticated than that: we go for the exquisite 'Livid Loaf' much more often than the lower-proletarian ground beef option. See, that's what happens immediately once you start reading a cdnmatt post ... your social status has nowhere to go but down.
Soon you'll be donating large amounts to the 'Thailand Loves The Blind Society', aka 'TLTBS', also aka 'BS'. (Coincidently run by a hard-to-find farang in Khoen Kaen). Strange that.

Anyway, I see you are enjoying yourself. Carry on.

justaguy
March 20th, 2018, 16:53
Hmm matty boy hasn't even replied today, they haven't banged him up already ?

cdnmatt
March 20th, 2018, 20:04
Hmm matty boy hasn't even replied today, they haven't banged him up already ?

Nope, still here and doing fine. Got a house secured for 3 months I guess, so I'm happy with that.

Just a couple last final preperations to take care of, and we're out the door to Vientiane.

gerefan2
March 21st, 2018, 01:31
Just a couple last final preperations to take care of, and we're out the door to Vientiane..

So I guess we won’t be seeing you here any more on Sawatdee Gay THAILAND? Byeee.

justaguy
March 21st, 2018, 02:45
Nope, still here and doing fine. Got a house secured for 3 months I guess, so I'm happy with that.

Just a couple last final preperations to take care of, and we're out the door to Vientiane.

By all means, keep us posted :)

Blacktouch
March 21st, 2018, 03:49

Yes, please keep us all updated. Interesting story!

cdnmatt
March 21st, 2018, 04:09
Obviously you don't understand how these NGOs work. They will see a single Western man living with a group of kids and assume you are up to no good. They will not investigate you. They will not ask you questions. They will just assume you are guilty (in their eyes). They will then go chat to the local Lao police. The local police are the ones who will pay you a visit, or two, or three. And remember, the police don't want to be seen to be making a mistake in the eyes of the NGO

But I'm not a single Western man. These are Leo's family members. We'll get some form of legal guardianship over them, as we'll have to in order to enroll them into school, in case of medical emergency, if they get in trouble with the police, etc. I doubt we're taking them anyway, so moot point. See what Leo feels after he gets himself and us settled into Vientiane.

Besides, there's lots of white guys in Khon Kaen wandering around with Thai kids, and nobody bats an eyelid. People just assume some guy hooked up with a Thai women who already had kids from a previous relationship. Then again, Khon Kaen isn't one huge brothel like Pattaya, so maybe that makes a difference.

StevieWonders
March 21st, 2018, 06:26
But I'm not a single Western man. Tosh.

cdnmatt
March 21st, 2018, 07:25
Tish.

StevieWonders
March 21st, 2018, 09:53
For the Moderator: Once Matt is settled in Laos will there be a new Forum called Gay Laos where he will post? Or maybe you could have one called Matt's Fantasy Island?There will be several storylines that I can predict:

Matt makes it into Laos
Setting up house
Adopting the kids

Getting a visa for Leo to visa Canada
Leo is unfaithful again
Getting rid of the adopted kids so Leo is free to go to Canada

arsenal
March 21st, 2018, 10:14
Well Mr Wonders. An interesting thing. You joined this month and of your 15 posts so far 8 of them have been trolling Matt. If that's what you're selling then we're already very well stocked up on that. Thank you for calling.

Smiles
March 21st, 2018, 22:42
After the Mod's erasing a part of Mr Wonder's ignorant, disgracefull and wind-up pedo-post (which is a good deed, in deed, on said Mods part) the voyage to Vientiane and the swimmimg across the Kong River with dogs, boyfriends, luggage, blind pills etc etc etc,(breastroke? sidestroke? butterfly?) still awaits parsing and there is still, hovering over the Board, the topic at hand.
However, the absence of true interest does begin to feel like once Cndmatt has put his big toe into said Kong River's dried up water works there is nothing else left to report on, nor be at all bothered with.

Let's just assume that the man/boy from Tuktoyaktuk is now sipping cappuccino, and downing a few 'pain au chocolat' in De Gaul's last colony in south east Asia and berating Leo for choosing the wrong rental and the wrong rental payment system in Lao: To Wit ..."Show me the Money Asshole". Or ~ a paragraph can only take so many "To Wits"). To Wit ... "Leo my dear, What a F%#&*ing LOSER you are".

Gosh, we can't have that!! Oh no!

I still don't believe that any of Cndmatt's bullshit is in fact nothing else but ... bullshit, that is.

Davey612
March 21st, 2018, 23:04
Can anyone explain to me how a blind man reads this forum?

cdnmatt
March 21st, 2018, 23:31

Can we please just have a ticky thread explaining how a blind man users a computer and the internet, because I'm tired of answering this question?

justaguy
March 22nd, 2018, 01:41

Screen reader. You would be surprised what blind people can do on a computer using a few simple tools. I develop a trainer for a big sandbox game, and whilst developing this trainer, I have added code that makes it compatible with a screen reader, so that blind people can actually not only play the game, but can use all the menu options the trainer provided. Pretty impressive stuff. People apparently adapt pretty well at being or getting blind.

justaguy
March 22nd, 2018, 01:42
After the Mod's erasing a part of Mr Wonder's ignorant, disgracefull and wind-up pedo-post (which is a good deed, in deed, on said Mods part) the voyage to Vientiane and the swimmimg across the Kong River with dogs, boyfriends, luggage, blind pills etc etc etc,(breastroke? sidestroke? butterfly?) still awaits parsing and there is still, hovering over the Board, the topic at hand.
However, the absence of true interest does begin to feel like once Cndmatt has put his big toe into said Kong River's dried up water works there is nothing else left to report on, nor be at all bothered with.

Let's just assume that the man/boy from Tuktoyaktuk is now sipping cappuccino, and downing a few 'pain au chocolat' in De Gaul's last colony in south east Asia and berating Leo for choosing the wrong rental and the wrong rental payment system in Lao: To Wit ..."Show me the Money Asshole". Or ~ a paragraph can only take so many "To Wits"). To Wit ... "Leo my dear, What a F%#&*ing LOSER you are".

Gosh, we can't have that!! Oh no!

I still don't believe that any of Cndmatt's bullshit is in fact nothing else but ... bullshit, that is.

Whilst I generally agree with you, the swimming across the Mekhong is now out of the window, he is hoping to normally cross the border at FSB1.

gerefan2
March 22nd, 2018, 01:48
For the Moderator: Once Matt is settled in Laos will there be a new Forum called Gay Laos where he will post? Or maybe you could have one called Matt's Fantasy Island?There will be several storylines that I can predict:

Matt makes it into Laos
Setting up house
Adopting the kids

Getting a visa for Leo to visa Canada
Leo is unfaithful again
Getting rid of the adopted kids so Leo is free to go to Canada

Stevie
You forgot I mentioned exactly the same thing in my post number 138. And you gave me a like for it.

That’s the only response I got from anyone including matt, the mods, or the owner of the board.

What you need to remember is that Matts bullshit produces hits and therefore money.

That’s why the mods will never do anyhting to stop it. The owner must love it.

Just look at the length of this daft thread ....what’s it got to do with Thailand? Get it?

Davey612
March 22nd, 2018, 03:37
Screen reader. You would be surprised what blind people can do on a computer using a few simple tools. I develop a trainer for a big sandbox game, and whilst developing this trainer, I have added code that makes it compatible with a screen reader, so that blind people can actually not only play the game, but can use all the menu options the trainer provided. Pretty impressive stuff. People apparently adapt pretty well at being or getting blind.

Thanks for the info and for the time in replying

cdnmatt
March 22nd, 2018, 04:12
Thanks for the info and for the time in replying

\
Sorry for being a bit of a dick there in the previous post, but yes, as justaguy said, screen reader. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPtxCDUPqs

Something like that at least. Main difference I think is, as I'm assuming is the norm with all blind people, my screen reader is at 100% rate, so talks about 50 times faster than that.

But yeah, blind people can use the internet just fine. Some web sites are a pain depending on how extensively things like Javascript is used, but for the most part it's fine. Takes a bit of time to figure out how a site is formatted, but as long as sites use proper HTML tags, and don't go too heavy and replace every standard HTML tag with a "div" or "span", then it's really not that bad.

I would imagine it must be a bit more difficult for non software developers to browse the internet though. Knowing HTML is basically a requirement of browsing the internet blind. Knowing what the code of the page looks like is far more important than what the actual page looks like.

scottish-guy
March 22nd, 2018, 06:20
Matt, you have my admiration for trying to be reasonable with a bunch of people who call you a fake. I certainly couldn't be.

dab69
March 22nd, 2018, 10:56
Well Mr Wonders. An interesting thing. You joined this month and of your 15 posts so far 8 of them have been trolling Matt. If that's what you're selling then we're already very well stocked up on that. Thank you for calling.

a steveboy was just banned for trolling Bay Thailand forum. Coincidence?
http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/11573-vietnamese-boys/page-3

cdnmatt
March 22nd, 2018, 12:01
Whilst I generally agree with you, the swimming across the Mekhong is now out of the window, he is hoping to normally cross the border at FSB1.

No idea what FSB1 is, but yes, the Nong Khai border. I've already been promised by Thai immigration I will not be detained, which was my only real worry. Just pay my 20,000 baht at the border, get blacklisted, and accept the fact I can't return to Thailand for a long time.

Then we've already obtained me a visitor VISA for Laos at their local embassy here in Khon Kaen.

Plus I have a 1 year business VISA already lined up for me in Laos. $600 USD, multiple entry, takes about 25 days, then we have to leave the country and return. I'm thinking either Gong Kong to incorporate and finally get bank accounts again from HSBC, or a trip to Siam Reap to check out the temples,

Another of those really expensive months. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. I really need to get off my ass, and start making better money.

justaguy
March 22nd, 2018, 13:25
No idea what FSB1 is, but yes, the Nong Khai border. I've already been promised by Thai immigration I will not be detained, which was my only real worry. Just pay my 20,000 baht at the border, get blacklisted, and accept the fact I can't return to Thailand for a long time.

Then we've already obtained me a visitor VISA for Laos at their local embassy here in Khon Kaen.

Plus I have a 1 year business VISA already lined up for me in Laos. $600 USD, multiple entry, takes about 25 days, then we have to leave the country and return. I'm thinking either Gong Kong to incorporate and finally get bank accounts again from HSBC, or a trip to Siam Reap to check out the temples,

Another of those really expensive months. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. I really need to get off my ass, and start making better money.

You are extremely lucky, good to hear. FSB1=friendship bridge 1, which is the bridge at Nong Khai. Lao immigration is using the FSB abbreviation to refer to the four bridges over the Mekhong. FSB2 = Mukdahan-Savan, FSB3=Nakhom Phanom-Tha Kaek and FSB4 is the one up north.

You could have gotten the visitor visa right at FSB1, same price takes all but 10 minutes. As to leaving the country, yeah, going to use Thailand as a visa run country is out if you get blacklisted, so that will force you to fly (unless you like really really long bus trips).

cdnmatt
March 22nd, 2018, 15:39
Yeah, I know you can get a tourist VISA at the Laos border, but was just a little worried they may consider me an undesirable, and not allow me entry. That's why I just got one here locally, so I can tick off another one of the 1200 worries I have.

Well, Sunday is the big day. House owner in Vientiane works during the week, so wants to do it Sunday. They changed their mind though, and want 6 months upfront, but I guess no damage deposit. We talked to her, and agreed 3 months upon arrival, then a week or two later, we'll pay the remaining 3 months, once we have some time to live in the house, and ensure things like hot water and A/Cs are working, the foundation isn't fucked, the area is decent, the roof doesn't leak, electric doesn't go out because you have too many lights on, etc.

cdnmatt
March 24th, 2018, 08:39
Maybe I'm just getting old and losing my sense of adventure, but this seems like a really stupid idea. I was unable to find us a ride, so Leo got tasked with the job. I was very clear that we need someone who was willing to go through the border, all the way to our new house in Vientiane.

Sure enough, he found someone willing to dump us at the Nong Khai border. For fuck sakes. Those carrier cages are about 30kg each, plus the dogs are about 30kg each. That's about 120kg of dogs. Okys all of our clothes, computers, etc. Not to mention, how do we even get the carrier cages through the border? They won't fit through those walk-through lanes as they're too big.

So now instead of finding one ride, we now need to find three. One to Nong Khai that we have, then one across the bridge, then one after the Laos border. Then for some unknown reason we're leaving at 4am. Not sure why, but whatever, let's go for it!

Not to mention, I only have one free hand. I can't walk without my stick.

cdnmatt
March 24th, 2018, 10:24
Jesus christ, do we ever have a lot of crap to pack with us. I have one duffel bag of clotes, Leo will have 2 backpacks full, 3 laptops, 120kg of dogs, 1 backpack for the dogs, four large plastic bowls for the dogs, a large plastic container of dry dog food, a guitar, and who knows what else will get added.

We're actually going to walk across two borders packing all of this with us. Thank fuck I'm blind, so I won't be able to see all the weird looks coming our way.

My neighbor should be quite happy tonight though. We have two large plastic containers full of stuff for her as a gift basket.

justaguy
March 24th, 2018, 21:47
Should be no problem to find someone willing to go all the way from KK to VTE. For the right price that is. Getting the car across to Lao should be no problem except for a 200 baht fee. I would worry about the dogs, but I guess that will be fine as well.

In case you don't find one, there is a 20 baht bus that will take you across the border, just arrive at a time when it is not busy, and you and the dogs will fit right in the bus :)

On the other side, drive a hard bargain, those taxi drivers would love to quote you upwards 800 baht, settle for 300-400, unless you live out in the sticks.

Oh and don't worry, you won't be walking across the border, you are not allowed to cross FSB1 by foot, you HAVE to take the bus or a car.

cdnmatt
March 24th, 2018, 22:18
We changed his mind, and he'll exit Thailand and go all the way to the Laos border. He's unwilling to enter Laos and take us to our house though, because they drive on the opposite side of the road in Laos.

Maybe we can convince him to just drive us through the Laos border, and dump us just after it. Then he can turn around and head back home to Thailand, and we'll figure it out from there. That would be a huge help, because I'm not looking forward to packing the dogs and everything.

No, bus is off limits. Those carrier cages are huge, and my dogs aren't exactly small either.

At least I had some excellent, "maybe I will go to prison soon" sex, so that was pretty cool. :) Not too worried about that anymore though. We talked with Thai immigration, and they promised I wouldn't be detained. Basically just said pay the 20,000 fine, and fuck off. Then I already have the Laos tourist VISA in my passport, so should be fine.

cdnmatt
March 24th, 2018, 22:55
I'm getting way too old for this shit. I look at tons of extremely successful folks like say John Oliver or Steven Colbert or Trevor Noah (yes, I watch lots of late night comedy -- it's one of the things you don't need vision for), and here I am wondering, "gee, how do I get across the Mekong?".

Fuck me.

Anyway, Leo is back to sleeping, and I still have a whole lot of cleaning to do before the driver arrives in about 5 hours. Still no idea why Leo decided 4am was a good time to head out, but whatever. He says it's to keep the dogs cool, but I'm preety sure it's because he's just so excited that it's temporarily turned him into a complete moron, to the point I'm glad he's sleeping and not bugging me. I'll just take care of everything. That's easier.

cdnmatt
March 24th, 2018, 22:59
PS. Pizza from The Pizza Company is really horrible food. Not only is it unhealthy for you, it just simply sucks.

Who the fuck in their right mind would ever consider that a good meal? Went from chicken roulard last night, to Pizza Company tonight.

It's such horrible garbage, the dogs don't even eat it, and they eat everything.

newalaan2
March 25th, 2018, 03:32
Just catching up with your latest developments CdnM. Best of luck with your re-location and hope Thai Immigration keep to their word, though Bt20,000 to share around almost guarantees it. You certainly have made the best of your situation and despite the enjoyment I get from being in Thailand and South East Asia I don't envy your current position one bit. You've certainly battled strongly in the face of so many trials and tribulations, especially with your disability. With the twists and turns over the last year I can understand those here who are sceptical about your whole 'thing' but I've never doubted the fact that your life as you describe it to be completely authentic, there's just too many small details about your daily life for it not to be. Also, and this is getting about as weird as your journey, I'm having to agree with the comments of Scottish-guy yet-again, that's twice this decade! about how well you 'suck-up' the negative, cynical comments especially given the obstacles you have had to face along the way.

But despite many being in the range from 'sceptical to total disbelief' they seem to still be interested in this apparently fantasy journey and life to keep reading, and not only that continue to comment and respond as if responding to someone who is indeed genuine. If I didn't believe in you or your posts I simply would pass-by without a second look or response.

Disappointed that I missed my chance to meet up with you in Khon Kaen, if for nothing more then to shut Christian pfc up as he continues to sulk at your snubbing of him, my fault of course,and ironically we have plans on my next low season trip in June to spend a longer time in Issan and no doubt would have had spare time to catch up in Khon Kaen which we do really like to visit and occasionally stay over. We've only made the trip to Laos 3 times in my time with bf, driving to Nong Khai leaving the pick-up there and negotiating a vehicle on the Laos side to take us to Ventianne, lovely place as is Nong Khai. It's about 5 years since our last visit there and apart from the driving on right we didn't notice that much of a difference between Issan and Ventianne, though it was only for a full day each time. We used baht (got kip back sometimes), spoke Issan/Laos, ate Issan food etc.. and either side of the Mehkong the river banks offer great views.

Look forward to hearing about a totally successful re-location......but somehow........

cdnmatt
March 25th, 2018, 03:47
Well Newalaan, you're one of the VERY few members I'd be more than happy to meet, and have a beer / dinner with. If you're ever in Vientiane, drop me a line.

Anyway, driver should be here any minute, house is clean as a whistle, so off we go. Good, because I'm tried, although highly doubt I'll be able to sleep. Will probably crash for about 16 hours once I get settled into Vientiane out of relief.

I don't really mind the trials and tribulations that have come with my life. Keeps you down to earth, and keeps you reminded of what's important in life. One of the reasons Leo and myself get along so well. His life hasn't exactly been easy, and his past constantly reminds him of what's important, so I never have to worry too much about him getting too out of line.

Anyway, wish us luck. Driver should be here any minute.

justaguy
March 25th, 2018, 03:51
I'm getting way too old for this shit. I look at tons of extremely successful folks like say John Oliver or Steven Colbert or Trevor Noah (yes, I watch lots of late night comedy -- it's one of the things you don't need vision for), and here I am wondering, "gee, how do I get across the Mekong?".

Fuck me.

Anyway, Leo is back to sleeping, and I still have a whole lot of cleaning to do before the driver arrives in about 5 hours. Still no idea why Leo decided 4am was a good time to head out, but whatever. He says it's to keep the dogs cool, but I'm preety sure it's because he's just so excited that it's temporarily turned him into a complete moron, to the point I'm glad he's sleeping and not bugging me. I'll just take care of everything. That's easier.

4 am ? what's the rush, on a weekday that would be utterly crazy, as the border opens at 8 am and it is really busy at that time, much better to arrive at Nong Khai around noon, not many people around at that time, and it still gets you to Vientiane at around 1, 1.30 pm.

cdnmatt
March 25th, 2018, 04:06
Oh fuck, the border doesn't open until 8am? Great....

Just bitched about it to Leo, and sure enough, he confirmed that it doesn't open until 8am. For some unknown retarded reason, he still decided 4am was a good time to leave.

Then we got into a small argument about how long it takes to travel 170km down the highway. He says everything will be fine, and I tell him my dogs are going to be stuck in carrier cages in the sun for 2 hours longer than they need to be.

What an asshole... he's great at love, compassion and empathy, but sucks at logisitcs.

cdnmatt
March 25th, 2018, 04:11
Ok, pickup time pushed back by one hour until 5am, so better.

neddy3
March 25th, 2018, 07:43
Oh, the tension!!

Smiles
March 25th, 2018, 08:56
Have no fear Neddy. At the last minute Cndmatt will dredge up one more excuse (he has a list of necessary excuses which cover a host of scenarios) to delay for 'something-has-come-up' and "we'll have to stay just a few months more". It has happended twice this year already, and number three is closing in.

christianpfc
March 25th, 2018, 21:22
Which police station is responsible for what? I learnt the answer to this question in 2013 when I reported my passport stolen during Songkran. My local police station sent me to Silom, because that is where the theft took place. However Silom road is the border between police districts, so the first police station asked me if my passport was stolen on the right side or the left side of Silom road, because then I would have to report it to the other police station. Yes, I'm absolutely sure it was stolen on the right side, in your police district!

And no, I'm not going back to Canada without Leo. I decided that on September 17th, 2016 to be exact. That's when I was in the hospital just upon going blind, Leo and myself didn't really even know each other at the time, but for some reason he did a u-turn at that Laos border and came back to take care of me instead of going to visit his family and friends.
My underline. Contradicts everything I have experienced and heard from friends.
ChristianPFC says: after several years of being boyfriend with a Thai boy (and buying several mobile phones, motorbikes, cars, houses for boy and his friends and family, depending on their greediness and your financial means), you will get a status above that of the family dog.

justaguy
March 25th, 2018, 21:32
Which police station is responsible for what? I learnt the answer to this question in 2013 when I reported my passport stolen during Songkran. My local police station sent me to Silom, because that is where the theft took place. However Silom road is the border between police districts, so the first police station asked me if my passport was stolen on the right side or the left side of Silom road, because then I would have to report it to the other police station. Yes, I'm absolutely sure it was stolen on the right side, in your police district!

ChristianPFC says: after several years of being boyfriend with a Thai boy (and buying several mobile phones, motorbikes, cars, houses for boy and his friends and family, depending on their greediness and your financial means), you will get a status above that of the family dog.

Leo is not Thai, he is Lao, but granted, after being with a Lao guy for 14 years, and having had an affair with two more, I think the difference is not all that much.

However, the family of the boyfriend of 14 years most definitely is not what you describe, they are not at all greedy, and I have Always been welcomed by pretty much everyone that visits the house from time to time. And by the rest of the family, including the part that now lives in Buriram.

From the beginning I told my boyfriend, I love your family, but won't support them, and that works out nicely, as my boyfriend works, so has his own income, he can take care of his family as much as he wants (within limits), I give them the odd 5000 baht when I visit twice a year, and that is it.

christianpfc
March 25th, 2018, 22:00
My above comment was exaggerated for dramatic effect.

I somehow missed this thread when it was opened, and after reading all of it now I wish I had missed it again.

For those with too much time on their hands:
Will Lao embassy (?) or consulate (?) in Khon Kaen issue a visa for a person who is on overstay in Thailand?
Is there any animal quarantine for taking dogs from Thailand to Lao?

newalaan2
March 25th, 2018, 23:14

ChristianPFC can say what he likes, dramatic effect or not, although I agree with the exaggerated element you raise a good point on perceived Thai>farang relationships....but I'm pretty sure your underlying feeling is as per your original text.........and so it's pretty clear and probably stating the bleeding obvious to say that It does not depend on 'their' greediness and your financial means....it depends just how stupid, gullible and foolish you or the person involved are to let themselves attain the status just above the family dog by voluntarily giving these things to somebody who does not appreciate, deserve or earn them. To develop a relationship with a person of that ilk and be oblivious to the fact one is being taken for a fool or in a one-way only relationship is bad enough but to then carry on developing that useless one-way relationship and voluntarily hand over all this money, phones, motorbikes etc. you can only blame yourself not the 'Thai boy' who you allow to take advantage of you. I mean these Thai boys don't take or steal these things from gullible farangs, they are given them. If you have a relationship with somebody who regards you next to the family dog then that's your lookout, there are Thai boys 'out there' who are perfectly genuine, normal people who give and take as should be expected in a relationship.

Many things other people/farangs experience in Thailand contradict your experiences as at times you are, by your own admission as per your blog, woefully naïve, despite your fluency in the language and many years experience. I have heard such stories as you state above too, but I have also experienced and heard from people who have not fallen into that trap, I doubt the two members here who are most open about their lives in Thailand than the rest of us.....namely smiles and **cdnmatt would consider themselves to be, nor indeed are, only the next rung up from the family dog.

**Apologies to those who have yet to come around to accepting that cdnmatt is genuine/authentic.

Your further post since I started my reply regarding visa for overstay and quarantine for dogs are good points...however this a cdnmatt story and This Is Thailand.

kkjason
March 26th, 2018, 00:19

I somehow missed this thread when it was opened, and after reading all of it now I wish I had missed it again.

Will Lao embassy (?) or consulate (?) in Khon Kaen issue a visa for a person who is on overstay in Thailand?

I have lived in KK for going on 10 years. YES - the Laos embassy here issues a visa to their country even if the person is on overstay status. While I never have, and never will, overstay my visa, many others I know have. It is quite common to get a visa at the Laos consulate here (it is a very friendly place actually) and then head off to Laos. So - you are wrong on that account. In addition - many people take their pets across the border. In facts, loads of Australians and Europeans work in Laos. They regularly go back and forth with their family and pets in tow - no quarantine. That is beside the point, however, because I wonder why you care? Why are trying to nit pick at everything that Matt is doing? He has lived here in KK for years. I personally know him, and so do many other people in the community - straight and gay. What is your beef with him? Have you met him? Get a life -

scottish-guy
March 26th, 2018, 01:15
Hey kkjason don't be so rude - if people here got a life the forum would shut

bobsaigon2
March 26th, 2018, 03:08
I personally know him, and so do many other people in the community - straight and gay.

This appears to be unsolicited and unimpeachable evidence that Matt exists, no matter how much his tales beggar belief. Just have to accept the fact that he is on his own, quite idiosyncratic path in life.

justaguy
March 26th, 2018, 04:43

They don't really care, that should not be their problem really. KK has a consulate, not an embassy. And you would be surprised at how many laissez passez they issue. half of the Lao in Thailand suddenly loose their passports :)

scottish-guy
March 26th, 2018, 05:49
Well let's just hope their bowels aren't as "loose" as their passports

StevieWonders
March 26th, 2018, 08:43
This appears to be unsolicited and unimpeachable evidence that Matt exists, no matter how much his tales beggar belief. Just have to accept the fact that he is on his own, quite idiosyncratic path in life.I'm sure you are wrong. Smiles continually tells us that Matt makes his posts up and when has Smiles ever been wrong?

francois
March 26th, 2018, 11:29
This appears to be unsolicited and unimpeachable evidence that Matt exists, no matter how much his tales beggar belief. Just have to accept the fact that he is on his own, quite idiosyncratic path in life.

Unsolicited and unimpeachable is strong wording, bobsaigon. I have not seen any evidence that matt is who he claims. kkjason did say he met matt but that is the first time I ever read that.
My evidence says otherwise. Probably will never know.

kkjason
March 26th, 2018, 11:50
Unsolicited and unimpeachable is strong wording, bobsaigon. I have not seen any evidence that matt is who he claims. kkjason did say he met matt but that is the first time I ever read that.

Look - the guy lives - or lived I guess now - right behind the major 9 story temple in town. It is on the town lake where most people go to walk and exercise at night, and have a few drinks. Matt has been living there for years. Many of us have had drinks with him - yes - in person! Admittedly, he is a bit of his own fellow and not my cup of tea, but we all (here in KK) know him. He is a regular poster on our city forum, and many residents have helped him out personally since he lost his vision. What else do you need to know? Again - you all have spent much of your time the past year bashing the guy - perhaps you have nothing better to do? What is your 'evidence' that he does not exist? That sounds like stuff of science fiction since you would have to laser him and eliminate his soul to make that claim. The guy lives and breathes - why can't you all just accept that and move on? I rarely even post when he is involved because it is the stuff of soap operas, yet here you all are now creating 19 pages on this one topic alone. Can you give it a rest already?

mr giggles
March 26th, 2018, 13:09

What evidence is there that any of us exist?
I'm just a figment of my own imagination and a legend in my own lunchtime!

justaguy
March 26th, 2018, 14:59
Oh he lives near the lake, been there quite a few times. In any case, matt seems to be silent. Now I know Lao mobile internet is not the most reliable and fast on this planet, but his silence makes me a tiny bit worried.

Smiles
March 26th, 2018, 15:49
Of course he 'lives'. At least for myself I've never disputed that he 'lives': as a Canadian, probably in Khon Khoen.
But after that, in my opinion he's a bull shitter par excellence, (for what point I have no idea). Everything beyond 'living' with Cndmatt, is all a sham of some nature. Intentions unknown.
There, blunt enough?

snotface
March 26th, 2018, 16:52
There, blunt enough?

Blunt indeed - and utterly graceless. You and others have been calling his blindness part of the 'sham' for months and more. At least have the grace to admit you were wrong about that. Or is kkjason, a fellow-resident of Khon Kaen who has testified to his blindness, just another member of the BS club?

francois
March 26th, 2018, 17:47
Anything is possible on this forum ! kkjason and justaguy could not be as they appear.
Who can say? Unless I know personally know a person there is no way I can verify anything they post.

scottish-guy
March 26th, 2018, 18:13
Look what happens when you do meet them: poor old Joe552 has never been heard from since

:D

bobsaigon2
March 26th, 2018, 19:41
Joe’s last post was 21 Feb 2018, after he had returned to Dublin. Perhaps at that time he decided to step back a bit from SGT, have a bit of a sabbatical, make time for reflection, reappraisal. Or he went to make a private retreat with the Trappists at Melleray. Or he chose to conduct his own private retreat at home. Either way he would have quickly seen that too much engagement with any of the gay forums is enough to distort one’s view of reality. SGT and the others really matter so little in the Grand Scheme of Things. Amen.

scottish-guy
March 26th, 2018, 20:29
Alternatively, maybe the meat loaf done him in - it's a likely as Bob's suggestions

justaguy
March 26th, 2018, 21:59
Oh Francois, I am who I claim I am, I arrive in BKK next week, and will most definitely be found in Silom Soi 4, Telephone outside most likely, sometimes a quick one at Balcony, or Banana, and a few at For Fun (or jupiter as it is now called), oustide. You are free to buy me a beer :)

francois
March 26th, 2018, 23:28
justaguy, would like to meet you but am stuck in Pattaya.

justaguy
March 27th, 2018, 00:23
justaguy, would like to meet you but am stuck in Pattaya.

Well I might go to Pattaya for two days after BKK Songkran has ended and I decide enough is not enough yet :)

gerefan2
March 27th, 2018, 00:26
Joe told us quite clearly, when he returned from Pattaya, that he was going to post far less than beforehand. And so it is. Nothing sinister!

I’m sure the mods must know a lot more about Matt than they let on. They are after all privy to all sorts of information that we mere members are not.

So mods why the stony silence. Do you believe his tales or keep silent in the quest for more hits (and revenue)?

francois
March 27th, 2018, 08:54
Moses knows it all. :devilsh:

Tintin
March 27th, 2018, 12:00
Blunt indeed - and utterly graceless. You and others have been calling his blindness part of the 'sham' for months and more. At least have the grace to admit you were wrong about that.

Unfortunately some members on this board are very good at attacking other members - and call them bull shitters and liars and what else. Would they ever admit they were completely wrong? Probably not - more likely, they stay silent for a while, then start another attack - making up some other 'proof'.

Blacktouch
March 27th, 2018, 14:14
I really thought this forum was to share ideas, give information, keep up to day on the places we like to visit and talk about the boys we like?

But some people seems to be just bullies.

scottish-guy
March 27th, 2018, 14:17
I've never been one of those who called Matt a liar - but equally I don't automatically accept the sudden, right-on-cue endorsement from KKJason either.

My approach is to treat everything you read on this board as 'interesting but of no consequence whatsoever'

kkjason
March 27th, 2018, 15:59
I've never been one of those who called Matt a liar - but equally I don't automatically accept the sudden, right-on-cue endorsement from KKJason either.

My approach is to treat everything you read on this board as 'interesting but of no consequence whatsoever'

Whoever said I 'endorsed' the guy? I am simply stating a fact. Nearly everyone here (on this forum) seems to have a vendetta against the guy - someone you have admittedly never met - and it boggles the mind as to why. I couldn't care less if you accept my 'endorsement'. I could say that you don't exist either - but what's the point? 20 pages strong on this one thread alone bantering back and forth if the guy exists - a guy who has now disappeared to Laos and may never enlighten us with the rest of the saga. He does, however, exist - take it or leave it - I'm not sure anyone cares.

You also say 'right on cue' endorsement - I have been stating that Matt exists for months - I have met the guy (and so has much of the expat community in KK - we are not big in numbers by any stretch of the imagination, so it is hard to hide), my husband has met his boyfriend (Leo) the list goes on. They simply are not our cup of tea, and I agree that the sagas get a bit out of control, particularly when he gets a bit mushy about life and love, but to each his own. So to say that this is the first time I have stated I know Matt is utter nonsense. It's just that so many people here are convinced he doesn't exist that they wouldn't know accept it if the guy dropped out of the sky and started drinking with you tonight. Again - doesn't matter - take care -

francois
March 27th, 2018, 18:46
kkjason, at the risk of continuing this post forever, can you confirm, that the photo matt posted of himself and Leo, is the matt you know?

justaguy
March 27th, 2018, 20:26
The million dollar question is not does he exist, but where is he, and why is he quiet.

Blacktouch
March 27th, 2018, 21:27
I'm guessing he is enjoying the time away from the bullies!

scottish-guy
March 27th, 2018, 23:11
Bullies?

Surely that can't be true when the board is meticulously moderated?

In any event, I'll happily accept KKJasons statement that he has previously posted that Matt (and his situation) is genuine - can't say I noticed his previous posts (and I sure ain't gonna search them) but that's unimportant. When I wrote "right on cue" it was in the context of this thread, not his entire posting history.

Now, if only the handful of people who have consistently disparaged Matt could bring themselves to admit they may have been wrong, it would be progress.

StevieWonders
March 28th, 2018, 07:53
It would be a great finale to the cdnmatt posting career - he just never posts again. Like the Marie Celeste

gerefan2
March 28th, 2018, 07:58
The million dollar question is not does he exist, but where is he, and why is he quiet.

Because he has now left Thailand...and therefore this “Thailand” Board?

gerefan2
March 28th, 2018, 08:49
If visiting or being in Thailand was a criteria for being on this board then Scottish Guy would have left 20 minutes after he joined and meticulous moderators would remove every single post he made. But then we wouldn't be able to enjoy his particular/peculiar subject he jackhammers into every thread.

OK my bad. Let me re-phrase what I said...

Because “his story” has now left Thailand...and therefore this “Thailand” Board.

arsenal
March 28th, 2018, 09:25
Well we're not sure of Matt's current whereabouts. Personally I think he does the board a tremendous service with his posts for a number of reasons. I think of his threads as like the ubiquitous bar/pub in soap operas. A place where characters can meet and talk without spoiling other storylines.

kkjason
March 28th, 2018, 10:08
I must confess that I do not read every posting on the board, so what photo are you referring to?

Blacktouch
March 28th, 2018, 19:09
I must confess that I do not read every posting on the board, so what photo are you referring to?

Maybe someone can repost the photo in question?

Blacktouch
March 28th, 2018, 19:11
Well we're not sure of Matt's current whereabouts. Personally I think he does the board a tremendous service with his posts for a number of reasons. I think of his threads as like the ubiquitous bar/pub in soap operas. A place where characters can meet and talk without spoiling other storylines.

Well he has not posted in days and everybody is still talking about him. Must be very interesting story to a lot of people?

bobsaigon2
March 28th, 2018, 20:08
The photo of Matt & Leo:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?19206-Sleeping-in-the-villages/page3&highlight=matt+photo

November 19th, 2017, 03:16

Post # 25

Blacktouch
March 28th, 2018, 20:31
The photo of Matt & Leo:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?19206-Sleeping-in-the-villages/page3&highlight=matt+photo

November 19th, 2017, 03:16

Post # 25

Many thanks. I've seen it. Always nice to put a face photo to the name!

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 12:32
Well, just recently arrived at my parent's house in Canada. Fuck!

Got banged up for a few days, 2 nights at a Nong Khai holding center, then 3 nights at the IDC before being deported. Damn, this sucks. Got out of Thailand without any issue. Simply paid my 20,000 baht, got blacklisted for 5 years, and we were out the door within minutes without issue.

Problem occurred at the Laos border. They wouldn't allow me entry, due to that blacklisting stamp. I guess when Thailand imposed that new blacklisting laws, Laos also changed their immigration rules and no longer allow entry via land to anyone with a blacklist stamp from Thailand. The Laos border refused to allow entry, even after 100,000 baht, and after about a 90 minute outburst from me, we were forced to go back to Nong Khai. Sure enough, since I was already blacklisted I was immediately detained.

Then sure enough, upon arrival in Canada I get pulled into secondary for a 3 hour interview and search by customs.

Anyway, dogs are with some Laos stransger, I think Leo is still in Bangkok but uncertain. Not sure what his short-term plans currently are, but I'm working at getting all four of us back together. If anyone wants details about IDC or anything, just let me know.

justaguy
March 30th, 2018, 12:42
Matt you now lost me. You were banged up on Sunday and Monday in Nong Khai, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the idc, and on Friday afternoon you are already in Canada, not possible. Unless you didn't really spend Thursday night at the IDC.

Your story seems like a stick up, why would the Lao care that you have a blacklisting from Thailand ?

In any case, many posts again I suggested you have a ticket out to Canada ready, and sure enough that's where you ended up, at least if you can be believed, which seems less and less likely.

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 13:34
Oh sorry, screwed up. Ok, if you want an exact timeline:

- Departed Khon Kaen about 7am.
- Got to border around 9am, 10 mins to exit Thailand.
- Denied entry at Laos, 90 mins og me throwing a fit, and we go back to Nong Khai where I'm arrested.
- By around 2pm we're all checked into the holding cell at Nong Khai. Leo was nice enough to come with me, and the police were nice enough to allow him as they were worried about me too. Was actually really nice. Huge room, just Leo and myself, nice comfortable mattresses (well, for a jail), pillows, large fan, TV, etc.

- Spent one night there, and all of the next day. That night we (myself, Leo, and police guy) drove to Udon Thani, and took a plane down to Bangkok where I was checked into IDC. Was checked in around midnight, and spent first night in room A14.

- Next morning, fingerprinted again, and moved to room 7, a more permanent unit. Spent that all day, that night, and most of next day. One the second day around 6pm I was pulled out and told I'm going home.

- They dragged about 30 of us out of our rooms, and put us into a small holding cell outside for the night. Around 4am the next morninng, military came and grabbed us all and transported us to BKK.

- I was on an airplane to Seoul at 9:20am that morning. 60 min layover, then off to Vancouver.

Now I'm here.

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 13:38
If wanted, Moses or one of the mods is welcome to confirm that I'm nhow posting from a Canadian IP address.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 30th, 2018, 14:24
Your story seems like a stick up, why would the Lao care that you have a blacklisting from Thailand ?I've heard lots of places will deny entry if they see a blacklisting stamp from another country in the passport. I went to Hong Kong once with a Thai guy who had a "denied visa" stamp in his passport from the Canadian Embassy. He was denied entry to Hong Kong

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 15:02
Oh, and to answer the question. Prior to the blacklisting laws, 98% of people coming across that Nong Khai border with a large overstay were simply there to spend a couple days in Laos, get a tourist VISA, then return to Thailand, so no worries about them.

However, now they can't return to Thailand, so where are they going to stay? Right, most likely just overstay in Laos, same as they did Thailand. That's why Laos obviously cares.

Brad the Impala
March 30th, 2018, 15:03
Sorry to hear that Matt. I hope you find a way to make the best of it going forward.

snotface
March 30th, 2018, 15:21
Yes, it sounds like a horrible experience you've been through Matt and I hope you can work something out. Keep your chin up, as we English say.

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 15:21
Sorry to hear that Matt. I hope you find a way to make the best of it going forward.

Well, I'm fine, and Leo's fine. I'm no longer in IDC, so I'm happy. WThere's about 100 people per-room there, so while there I met quite a few people who have been there for 6+ months, and heard many stories about people being there for years because they can't afford a flight out, and have no friends ir family to help. Thankfully, I was out right away.

Leeo's fine, although a little lost as to what to do, and a little worried that I will just forget him and stay in Canada. I think he knows not to worry about it though.

Now my dogs on the other hand I'm worried sick about. Will get Leo another chunk of money in the next few days, he can rent another house, pick up the dogs and move with them there. As long as their under Leo's care, then I'll be happy, and we can work on the rest. They're terrified I'm sure, and have no clue what just happened.

I guess get fucked if you ever think I'm getting them into a carrier cage again.

justaguy
March 30th, 2018, 16:32
Right Matt, so you already got your story mixed up. If the Lao were so uptight about overstaying how did you obtain your visa at the KK consulate, as you claimed you already obtain said visa. Surely the consulate staff there would have noticed you were already on an extensive overstay.

In any case, you have been warned about the consequences of your extensive overstay, and that you would most likely end up in Canada.

On the one hand I feel sorry for you (providing all of this is indeed true) on the other hand, it IS your own fault. Overstaying by a few days or so can happen, overstaying with a few years, is simply taking the Mickey. AND you had plenty of warning to get legit again, just about 1.5 years ago, you could have walked through that border, with the 20K fine and returned with a proper visa, and yes many people have done so at the time. You failed to do so, and are now blacklisted.

Good luck with the dogs and Leo, providing your story is true. Forgive me if I am very very sceptical about all of this.

As to proof, all it would take is a copy of the blacklist stamp you received in your passport.

Jellybean
March 30th, 2018, 16:45

I too am sorry to hear that things went so badly wrong, cdnmatt. I hope it will not be too long before you and Leo are reunited.

bobsaigon2
March 30th, 2018, 18:33
If you are a believer, then a friendly, non-judgmental request to Matt for clarification of perceived discrepancies would not be out of order and would almost always be answered without delay.

If you are a non-believer, then Matt's tales should be treated simply as fiction, and as with any fictional work, it is not appropriate to interrogate the writer or accuse him of a lack of candor. Matt may be guilty of ill advised decisions, and his tales may be imaginary, but there is no requirement that any poster always be truthful.

Recalling the late and non-lamented Beachlover persona: when he lost all credibility he simply decamped rather than admit any type of malfeasance. Matt, however, is still with us, despite the treatment he has received. Perhaps that says something about his veracity?

Matt is what he is, or whatever you want to make of him.

He's not mainstream, and he may be swimming upstream against the current, but that's his freedom to choose. IMHO.

Blacktouch
March 30th, 2018, 22:37
I thought Matt had paid the rent for the house in Lao for 3 months in advance?

So why don't Leo stay there with the dogs?

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 22:40
Well, not sure what you want me to do. No problem really posting the blacklisting stamp, but I can't. Even if I knew what page the stamp was on, I'd have to take a photo of it with my phone, and somehow e-mail that photo to myself. There's no way I'll be able to do that. Leo usually does that kind of thing for me, and I'm not asking my parents for help with that.

Again, if Moses wants, he has my permission to confirm that I am indeed now posting from a residential Canadian IP address from an ISP.

Anyone by chance curious as to what IDC is like, or waste of time writing a description? It sucks quite badly, but honestly isn't as horrible as those reports from Amnesty International make it out to be saying it's cruel and inhumane. It sucks, but by no means is that inhumane.

Blacktouch
March 30th, 2018, 22:46
Matt's post #137 quote:
[Nope, still here and doing fine. Got a house secured for 3 months I guess, so I'm happy with that.

Just a couple last final preperations to take care of, and we're out the door to Vientiane.]

So what's happend to that house which was paid for 3 months in advance?

Blacktouch
March 30th, 2018, 22:59
Also Matt's post #158

[Well, Sunday is the big day. House owner in Vientiane works during the week, so wants to do it Sunday. They changed their mind though, and want 6 months upfront, but I guess no damage deposit. We talked to her, and agreed 3 months upon arrival, then a week or two later, we'll pay the remaining 3 months, once we have some time to live in the house, and ensure things like hot water and A/Cs are working, the foundation isn't fucked, the area is decent, the roof doesn't leak, electric doesn't go out because you have too many lights on, etc.]

So has the 3 months upfront been cancelled?

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 23:04
I thought Matt had paid the rent for the house in Lao for 3 months in advance?

So why don't Leo stay there with the dogs?

No, we didn't pay, just had a verbal agreement. We were going to pay that morning upon arrival, in exchange for the keys. That's why we waited until Sunday to move -- it was more conenient for the house owner, as she works during the week.

That must have been a weird phone call.

Leo: Hi
Owner: Hi, are you almost here?
Leo: No, I'm in jail in Nong Khai right now.
Owner: What?!?

cdnmatt
March 30th, 2018, 23:16
Also Matt's post #158

[Well, Sunday is the big day. House owner in Vientiane works during the week, so wants to do it Sunday. They changed their mind though, and want 6 months upfront, but I guess no damage deposit. We talked to her, and agreed 3 months upon arrival, then a week or two later, we'll pay the remaining 3 months, once we have some time to live in the house, and ensure things like hot water and A/Cs are working, the foundation isn't fucked, the area is decent, the roof doesn't leak, electric doesn't go out because you have too many lights on, etc.]

So has the 3 months upfront been cancelled?

Yep, temporarily at least. That money got used on getting me out of jail and to Canada.

In Thailand, being a police officer is an entrepreneuial activity, so every step of the way there's added fees if you want decent treatment.

Smiles
March 30th, 2018, 23:56
This (my) post a few pages back ... #171:

" ... Have no fear Neddy. At the last minute Cndmatt will dredge up one more excuse (he has a list of necessary excuses which cover a host of scenarios) to delay for "something-has-come-up" and "we'll have to stay just a few months more" ... "

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 03:37
Right Matt, so you already got your story mixed up. If the Lao were so uptight about overstaying how did you obtain your visa at the KK consulate, as you claimed you already obtain said visa. Surely the consulate staff there would have noticed you were already on an extensive overstay. In my experience South East Asian consulates hand out visitor visas on a no questions asked basis, no care, no responsibility. The Cambodians allow for a visa to be issued without any sighting of the passport whatsoever with their online visa application. It's always up to the Immigration officers at the border to decide whether they will permit the visa holder to enter the country, and that's true of every country in the world.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 03:38
In Thailand, being a police officer is an entrepreneuial activity, so every step of the way there's added fees if you want decent treatment.I'm confused. I've seen several posts of yours where you claim that you will be given special treatment because you are blind.

justaguy
March 31st, 2018, 04:06
In my experience South East Asian consulates hand out visitor visas on a no questions asked basis, no care, no responsibility. The Cambodians allow for a visa to be issued without any sighting of the passport whatsoever with their online visa application. It's always up to the Immigration officers at the border to decide whether they will permit the visa holder to enter the country, and that's true of every country in the world.

the Lao don't care about overstay, of course it is Always up to the discretion of the relevant immigration officer. But fact is, the Lao don't care, there are no blacklisting rules for overstaying, no jail time, just a fine payable. The question you should ask yourself is this, if the Lao have a law to not allow blacklisted persons (which I doubt actually exists, as I know people who gained access to Lao whilst being blacklisted from Thailand) how come Nong Khai immigration let Matt just leave, instead of just deporting him as they apparently have done after the 90 minute hissy fit he threw at the Lao. (unless of course the 20K went into their own back pocket :D)

I think Matty is not telling the whole truth.

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2018, 04:06
I was given special treatment. Why do you think I was out of IDC so quickly? I was only there for about 54 hours, and was out. And the only reason it was that long was because there were a couple delays on our end getting the flight booked, but I could have been out probably 18 hours earlier. That never happens. If you end up at IDC, expect at least 5 days if not longer, all depending on your situation, or at least that's what I gathered from others stories. Many are in there for weeks or months before being deported, and I guess some even years. They took care of me as quickly as they could, but still had to go through the proper deportation procedure.

Then the Nong Khai police were awesome. They let Leo stay with me, thanked him for taking care of me, put us in our own room, brought us food from the market, etc. I was terrified so wasn't eating, and for some reason Leo told them I like alcohol quite a bit during check-in, so the one police officer said if I eat my jot for breakfast, he'll bring me some alcohol later that afternoon, which he did, so that was nice of him. Then Leo was allowed to come and go as desired, so it was no problems.

Then I'm assuming this isn't standard, but the guy organizing our departure to BKK called Leo and told him where to be and when. When I got out of the prison truck Leo was there, and we were allowed to wander around the airport a bit by ourselves, have a cigarette, and say goodbye to each other. Granted, there was an airport cop following us around the entire time, but nonetheless, I don't think most inmates get that kind of treatment.

When he was organizing our departure, I didn't have my luggage, so we called Leo and got him to rush to the IDC to drop it off. My luggage finally arrived, but there was no Leo in sight, as I guess he was stuck outside of the secured area. I pleaded with the guy to let me just give me a quick 5 second hug before I go back to Canada. He empathized with me, and said it's because he's from Burma so he knows what it's like to be a foreigner too. Unfortunately, the guys at the gate wouldn't let Leo in, so the Burma guy must have called him and arranged for us to spend some time at BKK in the morning before I left.

justaguy
March 31st, 2018, 04:09
I was given special tratment. Why do you think I was out of IDC so quickly? I was only there for about 54 hours, and was out. And the only reason it was that long was because there were a couple delays on our end getting the flight booked, but I could have been out probably 18 hours earlier.

Then the Nong Khai police were awesome. They let Leo stay with me, thanked him for taking care of me, put us in our own room, brought us food from the market, etc. I was terrified so wasn't eating, and for some reason Leo told them I like alcohol quite a bit during check-in, so the one police officer said if I eat my jot for breakfast, he'll bring me some alcohol later that afternoon, which he did, so that was nice of him. Then Leo was allowed to come and go as desired, so it was no problems.

Then I'm assuming this isn't standard, but the guy organizing our departure to BKK called Leo and told him where to be and when. When I got out of the prison truck Leo was there, and we were allowed to wander around the airport a bit by ourselves, have a cigarette, and say goodbye to each other. Granted, there was an airport cop following us around the entire time, but nonetheless, I don't think most inmates get that kind of treatment.

When he was organizing our departure, I didn't have my luggage, so we called Leo and got him to rush to the IDC to drop it off. My luggage finally arrived, but there was no Leo in sight, as I guess he was stuck outside of the secured area. I pleaded with the guy to let me just give me a quick 5 second hug before I go back to Canada. He empathized with me, and said it's because he's from Burma so he knows what it's like to be a foreigner too. Unfortunately, the guys at the gate wouldn't let Leo in, so the Burma guy must have called him and arranged for us to spend some time at BKK in the morning before I left.

Huh ? Anyone can get out of the IDC quickly as long as they can produce a ticket home and the fine payable, which could be as low as 12K regardless of the lenght of overstay. We all know the stories of the IDC, I personally know someone who has been a lawyer for people banged up in the IDC for years, you have not really been given special treatment at all. As long as you pay and produce that ticket, they won't hold you any longer than strictly necessary.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 04:52
I was given special treatment.The claim you made previously was that as a blind person they would not put you in IDC to begin with.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 05:01
I know people who gained access to Lao whilst being blacklisted from Thailand) how come Nong Khai immigration let Matt just leave, instead of just deporting him as they apparently have done after the 90 minute hissy fit he threw at the Lao.As I understand it there are degrees of blacklisting and Matt received the highest grade. Perhaps lower-grade blacklists receive a different treatment.

How could "Nong Kai immigration" deport Matt? Denying entry and telling him to go back to Thailand is deportation if someone enters via a land border. It's only at airports where a formal deportation occurs because the offender has to be placed onto an aircraft to take him back to where he belongs. (Yes, I used to work for a border security outfit)

Matt strikes me as a typical Millenial. That is, he's needy and he thinks he's special. If he was making this story up he would have done some more thorough research to make sure it hangs together rather than giving opportunities for the Forum Nasties to try to pick holes.

Blueskytoday
March 31st, 2018, 08:31
I am confused ....is Matt enroute to Canada? I thought he was going to live with Leo in Lao? And where are Matt's dogs?

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2018, 08:56
I am confused ....is Matt enroute to Canada? I thought he was going to live with Leo in Lao? And where are Matt's dogs?

Well, that was the plan. Now thanks to Laos not willing to simply stamp me in for 30 days, I got to experience a few nights in the IDC, my dogs are currently with some random stranger in Laos, Leo is wandering around aimlessly in Bangkok, and I'm at my parent's house in Canada. All over a simple 30 day tourist stamp.

Working on rectifying it.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 09:02
Well, that was the plan. Now thanks to Laos not willing to simply stamp me in for 30 days, I got to experience a few nights in the IDC, my dogs are currently with some random stranger in Laos, Leo is wandering around aimlessly in Bangkok, and I'm at my parent's house in Canada. All over a simple 30 day tourist stamp.

Working on rectifying it.As I said, a Millenial with an exaggerated sense of entitlement. However, look on the bright side. Maybe you can get your eyes examined by someone who knows what he's talking about?

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2018, 10:29
How am I self entitled? I understand I did wrong by overstaying, and tried to right things, which I did with Thai immigration. Thankfully so as well, as that's another reason I was out of IDC so quickly. Immigration cleared me of my overstay about 2 hours before I was arrested, so there's not much they could do to me.

Thhen I tried going through the proper channels and getting a tourist VISA for Laos beforehand. However, I didn't know about the rule of no crossing via land at Nong Khai with a blacklist stamp in your passport. If I would have knwon that upfront, I would have had Leo go ahead of me with the dogs, and get them into the house. Then come back, get me, and we would have flown to Vientiane together. Would have to make a dangerous trip to Bangkok to do that though, so uncertain if I would have.

It's ok, I'll get the four of us back together. As long as whoever has the dogs doesn't get them killed in the meantime. Already had Leo promise him money to take care of them, and we'll take them back within a week at the most.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 10:58
How would flying to Vientiane made any difference? You'd still have a "gross overstay" stamp in your passport from Thailand and you would still be denied entry to Laos. It's got nothing to do with where you attempt to enter Laos. The Lao immigration authorities wherever you arrive are going to take one look at your passport and see its holder is someone who deliberately, flagrantly and persistently disobeyed the immigration laws of another country, in this case their nearest neighbour. How could you ever believe that they would do anything except deny you entry? I've got some bad news for you. The four of you won't be back together any time soon

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2018, 11:42
I don't know, the Nong Khai cops seemed to believe that iw ould have made a difference. And Thailand has some special immigration rules depending on whether you're travelling via land or air.

Yes, we'll get back together. I should have a new 10 year passport in a month. From there, grab a Laos tourist VISA from the embassy in Vancouver, and off I go. As long as Laos didn't blacklist me as well, which I'm sure they didn't, then I'll be fine.

Being denied entry doesn't mean too much. Leo has been denied entry to Thailand before, but can now travel back and forth without issue. I've been refused entry into the US before, but bet I could cross the border tomorrow without problem.

justaguy
March 31st, 2018, 12:10
I don't know, the Nong Khai cops seemed to believe that iw ould have made a difference. And Thailand has some special immigration rules depending on whether you're travelling via land or air.

Yes, we'll get back together. I should have a new 10 year passport in a month. From there, grab a Laos tourist VISA from the embassy in Vancouver, and off I go. As long as Laos didn't blacklist me as well, which I'm sure they didn't, then I'll be fine.

Being denied entry doesn't mean too much. Leo has been denied entry to Thailand before, but can now travel back and forth without issue. I've been refused entry into the US before, but bet I could cross the border tomorrow without problem.

You have been told to fly out via bkk many posts ago in this topic. But as usual you decided to ignore that advice....

justaguy
March 31st, 2018, 12:13
How would flying to Vientiane made any difference? You'd still have a "gross overstay" stamp in your passport from Thailand and you would still be denied entry to Laos. It's got nothing to do with where you attempt to enter Laos. The Lao immigration authorities wherever you arrive are going to take one look at your passport and see its holder is someone who deliberately, flagrantly and persistently disobeyed the immigration laws of another country, in this case their nearest neighbour. How could you ever believe that they would do anything except deny you entry? I've got some bad news for you. The four of you won't be back together any time soon

The Lao should know, there are tens of thousands of Lao citizens in Thailand currently not only breaking immigration laws, but labor laws too!

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2018, 13:03
You have been told to fly out via bkk many posts ago in this topic. But as usual you decided to ignore that advice....

To be honest, I don't think I would have travelled to Bangkok anyway. A quick trip up north to Nong Khai is one thing, but a trip all the way into Bangkok is totally different with a whole lot more cops around. If I would of had my passport checked before getting to that immigration desk at BKK, I would have been in for much more hurt than I was. Thankfully by the time I was arrested, my overstay was already cleared with I would have had a really rough time coping with a long stay at IDC, especially since I'm blind, as that made it worse. It's a huge room with about 100 people, and I was basically stuck the whole time on my little 5x2 foot mat in the corner close to the convenience store and bathroom. So I could get to the bathroom and shower, and buy some cigs or nana noodles or whatever from the store, but that's it. Wasn't really capable of wandering around the room and making friends with others like everyone else did, as it was too cramped, and I would just end up kicking and stepping on people all the time, which wouldn't go over well.

People there were honestly far friendlier than I thought they'd be. Nobody was really interested in making friends, but just acquantances to hang out with while they killed the time and got out. Everyone somewhat had each other's backs though, and took care of each other. I never ate any of the food, but each time a meal would come, they'd come over and offer me a plate. They always helped me walk around when it was ecersize time, hekoed ne fubd my way around the bathroom and shower, store, etc.

cdnmatt
March 31st, 2018, 13:12
Oh, and I forgot, I did get other special treatment as well. Visitation starts at 10:30am every day. This consists of a wire fence with visitors on one side and inmates on the other, the inmates get headbands to wear depending on their country so the visitor can identify them, and they just yell at other through the fence,

They were nice enough to let Leo into some office with a sofa, and let us sit together and talk in private. We were able to sit there and call my mom on Skype, Leo was able to give me some money and bring me food, etc. That was actually a huge help, because without that,, there's a decent chance I'd still be in the IDC.

Tough to get out if you don't have pre-arranged plans in place before you go in.

DaveyJonesLocker
March 31st, 2018, 13:48
The Lao should know, there are tens of thousands of Lao citizens in Thailand currently not only breaking immigration laws, but labor laws too!Without a shadow of a doubt that post wins the non sequitur prize for this thread