PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost?

karius
March 6th, 2018, 16:51
How much do you normally have to pay if you want to hire a guide/driver to take you to the famous temples? I suppose most tourists hire someone for a day. And another question : Is it necessary to bring only US Dollars, or will they also accept Thai Baht or Euros? I will probably end up staying at the Rambutan Resort/Hotel since it looks like that place is located near "down town" Siem Reap.

cdnmatt
March 6th, 2018, 16:54
If I remember correctly, we paid $40 USD for a mini van and 8 hours/day.

Moses
March 6th, 2018, 21:39
Price for official licensed guide depends on language, English speaking guides usually ask $40-$60 at high season and $40-$50 at low season, other languages are more expensive.

Drivers can't be guide since it is forbidden for them to leave car within Angkor archaeological park. Car with driver cost $30-#120 - depends on path, usually Small Circle cost #30-#40, Big Circle $45-$60, I'm about sedans like Toyota Camry. Remote temples like Preah Vicher will cost about $120.

Andaman!
March 7th, 2018, 05:23
Driver is cheaper if you take a remork which is also more fun and allows you to benefit from the breeze. Providing it is not raining, I definitively prefer a remork for both the small circuit and the grand circuit but would generally favour a car if going further afield to Banteay Srei. I have stayed at the Rambutan on two occasions and they arranged an excellent registered guide and a good remork on both occasions.

Asia Traveler
March 7th, 2018, 07:58
When you get to Rambutan ask the front desk for a copy of “Siem Reap Angkor Visitors Guide” and it will give you a lot of good information on temples, guides, and lots of other activity. Rambutan staff can also help you arrange tours etc. They are quite good. Here is a link I found that might be useful as well but I have not used the guides yet so I can not report on their quality.

http://www.khmerangkortourguide.com/tour-guide-list.html

Another option might be Siam Guides but I have emailed the Siem Reap guide twice with no response. Not sure if it is a technical problem or if they are just slow to respond to inquiries.

https://siamroads.com/cambodia-siem-reap-sareth/

Moses
March 7th, 2018, 11:33
Another option might be Siam Guides but I have emailed the Siem Reap guide twice with no response. Not sure if it is a technical problem or if they are just slow to respond to inquiries.

https://siamroads.com/cambodia-siem-reap-sareth/

Siamroads answers to each email. I control it myself daily. If you got no answer that means SiamRoads not received your email. At such cases you can just PM me here.

frequent
March 7th, 2018, 12:32
Go and visit the museum in Siem Reap before you go to Angkor Wat. It provides fascinating background information. Strap on the headphones ($10 as I recall) for a personal guided tour. I go there every time I visit Siem Reap

karius
March 7th, 2018, 12:50
Does the price quoted in siamroads.com (50US) include a driver?

Moses
March 7th, 2018, 16:21
Does the price quoted in siamroads.com (50US) include a driver?

No. It is price for guide - Sareth's time. He is in TOP-20 of all guides (500+) in Siem Reap at Tripadvisor rating. He can arrange car.

goji
March 8th, 2018, 02:21
Driver is cheaper if you take a remork which is also more fun and allows you to benefit from the breeze. Providing it is not raining, I definitively prefer a remork for both the small circuit and the grand circuit but would generally favour a car if going further afield to Banteay Srei. I have stayed at the Rambutan on two occasions and they arranged an excellent registered guide and a good remork on both occasions.

Exactly. Just get a Remork (tuk tuk), which is a much more fun way of getting around the temples. It's been a few years since I did this, but I think it was about $12 a day & if you get the same one for the 2~3 days, he sorts out the itinerary for you. Nothing more needed.
I imagine that's a few $ more now.

frequent
March 8th, 2018, 03:29
He can arrange car.A car!! In Siem Reap!? Sheer madness

Asia Traveler
March 8th, 2018, 07:14
Siamroads answers to each email. I control it myself daily. If you got no answer that means SiamRoads not received your email. At such cases you can just PM me here.

Thanks Moses,I got a response yesterday right after my post. Problem must have been on my side.

Moses
March 8th, 2018, 11:32
A car!! In Siem Reap!? Sheer madness

We are speaking about car for tours, not for ride from hotel to Pub Street.

Looks like you never been in SR at wet season or didn't take tour to remote places and temples. Once only I took tuk-tuk for to the trip to Rolous, and that experience I will remember forever: next 2 days I had to wash my head 3 times per day to eliminate red dust from my hairs. Also for me car is a shelter from hot weather: it is nice to take 5-7 minutes of "cooling time" in the car with aircon and to use wet cold towel while car is going btw temples.

frequent
March 8th, 2018, 11:37
Looks like you never been in SR at wet season or didn't take tour to remote places and temples.You're half right - I've never been to SR in the wet season. It's bad enough in Bangkok, but at least I have my home comforts. However I have often taken tuk-tuks on extensive trips to temples. All you are doing is trying to tout your business. No harm in that

Moses
March 8th, 2018, 11:51
You're half right - I've never been to SR in the wet season. It's bad enough in Bangkok, but at least I have my home comforts.

It is hard to take Small or Big circle tour while you are sitting on sofa in comfort, you know.

All you are doing is trying to tout your business. No harm in that
My business? Siamroads has no cars in Cambodia. What business you are talking about? If you are about commission what Sareth can have from driver - well, commission from driver of car and commission from driver of tuk-tuk are the same.

I'm speaking about my personal experience.

frequent
March 8th, 2018, 12:11
It is hard to take Small or Big circle tour while you are sitting on sofa in comfort, you know.As a top who never bottoms I'll have to take your word for that