PDA

View Full Version : AIS SIM Card

mildsevenblue
February 26th, 2018, 02:13
Dear all,

After surfing the internet, I have finally found an AIS package of unlimited usage of internet without lowering the transmission speed (the speed is fixed in a lower range, of course).

Now comes the question, I firstly need an AIS SIM card which I do not want to buy in the airport (they only sell the over-priced tourist package). So can I buy the AIS SIM card at 49baht as a starter in 7-11 or Family Mart then top up some money to buy the package that I really want?

Thank you all!

frequent
February 26th, 2018, 02:22
Dear all,

After surfing the internet, I have finally found an AIS package of unlimited usage of internet without lowering the transmission speed (the speed is fixed in a lower range, of course).

Now comes the question, I firstly need an AIS SIM card which I do not want to buy in the airport (they only sell the over-priced tourist package). So can I buy the AIS SIM card at 49baht as a starter in 7-11 or Family Mart then top up some money to buy the package that I really want?

Thank you all!

It depends whether you can find a 7-11 or Family Mart that will ignore the latest regulations about ID, or (even less likely) have the facilities, time or inclination to comply. You'd be better off finding an AIS shop and buying it there. However I'm not sure why AIS at the airport should sell only the tourist version. The True shop sells whatever you want

Mancs
February 26th, 2018, 02:34
I thought 7/11's stopped selling AIS stuff in October 2016.

frequent
February 26th, 2018, 02:39
I thought 7/11's stopped selling AIS stuff in October 2016.You're possibly right - buying such things is not part of my regular shop when I go into a 7-11 (which isn't that often, unless I'm out of condoms)

francois
February 26th, 2018, 10:59
AIS at Family Mart.

Newbie99
February 26th, 2018, 12:11
I bought an AIS SIM card from an AIS shop. Cost was 50 baht.

Patanawet
February 26th, 2018, 14:02
You'd be better off finding an AIS shop and buying it there.
AIS or TELEWIZ -- same thing
You should find one or both in any mall.

Moses
February 26th, 2018, 14:04
3 weeks ago I found what most reliable package for extensive Internet using is Truemove package for 599 Bahts. I had 8 Gig of traffic for 2 weeks and great coverage (I had strong 4G signal even at hills and mountains at the North of Thailand). Bought it exactly in airport by suggestion of all my guys from Siamroads.com.

But most important: everything is active just from start - when you insert sim into phone every option starts to work from first minute. Past time I bought AIS and was waiting for internet activation 24 hours with 2 visits to AIS office.

justaguy
February 27th, 2018, 17:03
You're possibly right - buying such things is not part of my regular shop when I go into a 7-11 (which isn't that often, unless I'm out of condoms)

They don't even offer over the counter AIS top-ups at 7-11, supposedly they have a conflict, in typical childish fashion.

You CAN still use the orange top up vending machines found outside by the way.

For coverage and data, you cannot go wrong with AIS, I have excellent 4G coverage almost everywhere I go, including remote parts of Issaan. My current sim is already 13 years old and has gone through at least two 'registration rounds". Since my data consumption is pretty heavy (several tablets thetered to the same ais sim) I now go for their unlimited internet packages, I believe it is capped at 6 mpbs, but that is an acceptable speed for me.

Not sure what you are on about Moses, internet package activation at AIS is instant, or no more than a few minutes. And since packages do change, they have an excellent English speaking servicedesk (1175).

Their unlimited packages are 34 baht for one day, 189 baht for 7 days or 550 baht for 30 days. If the 6mpbs is not enough, I would opt for the 12 GB 30 day package at around 800 baht. Buy additional 2 GB within the validity for 48 baht.

bkkguy
February 27th, 2018, 19:26
They don't even offer over the counter AIS top-ups at 7-11, supposedly they have a conflict, in typical childish fashion.

bkkguy

gerefan2
February 27th, 2018, 21:49
I went to AIS at Central Festival to renew internet . BIG mistake took 1.5 hours...big queue. Now I go to Telewiz at Big C. 5 mins

justaguy
February 28th, 2018, 01:14
I don't get it, why do you guys even go to shops, all it takes is a topup and entering a code on your mobile. If that is too hard, call their call center, no queues, they anwer pretty quickly and are actually useful.

In the 14 years I have this sim and number, I went to the AIS shop twice, both times to show them my passport to comply to the mandatory registration requirements that were enacted twice in this period.

gerefan2
February 28th, 2018, 16:33
Just a guy...can you top up the INTERNET in those shops? I know you can top telephone part.

colmx
March 3rd, 2018, 01:25
Just a guy...can you top up the INTERNET in those shops? I know you can top telephone part.

I usually dial *500# from my AIS phone
It brings up a menu that has the various internet options available

Once you have sufficient credit you can choose the package that suits you

Alternatively you can dial as per the image below or choose one of the packages at:
http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

christianpfc
March 3rd, 2018, 21:08
http://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package

Table where you can select volume and duration and see the price and can directly book by clicking on that field (on your phone)

gerefan2
March 4th, 2018, 21:40
Colmx
Do you just keep topping up your phone until you have sufficient credit? I thought the top up was for calls only but I may be wrong....

colmx
March 4th, 2018, 21:58
You ask in Family Mart for 1-to-call 200B and top up your phone using the code on the ticket
Then dial *777*7210#
It deducts 189Baht from your credit and you get 7 days of 6Mbps internet

Alternatively you can top up with 600B and
Then dial *777*7211#
It deducts 550 Baht from your credit and you get 30 days of 6Mbps internet

gerefan2
March 4th, 2018, 22:06
Great, thank you! Shame the AIS shops can’t tell you that!

colmx
March 4th, 2018, 23:27
note that there is a mistake in my most recent post above, it should read:

Alternatively you can top up with 600B and
Then dial *777*7211#
It deducts 550 Baht from your credit and you get 30 days of 6Mbps internet

Perhaps one of the mods can adjust it?

frequent
March 5th, 2018, 03:53
Great, thank you! Shame the AIS shops can’t tell you that!Apposite

christianpfc
March 5th, 2018, 20:29
Perhaps one of the mods can adjust it?
Done.

Related to AIS: now that you can't buy credit in 7-Eleven any more (several years already), I use these usually orange or green devices for top up (touchscreen, choice of language, several services), which charge or do not charge for top-up. I had one that charges 2 THB for 10 THB top-up, but tops up 100 THB for free. Another one charged 5 THB for 100 THB top-up. Yet another charges 25 THB for 500 THB top-up. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

goji
March 6th, 2018, 01:44
Well I use True. I buy the SIM card at one of the True shops in Silom & if a top up is needed, there are top up machines near the entrance of the True stores. There is also a true store in Pattaya near Tuk Com, just past the Kasikorn bank, with similar machines.

I would imagine AIS have a similar service. If they don't & the alternatives are not to your liking, well you could go for True next time.

justaguy
March 8th, 2018, 12:46
Yes they do have several services including direct debit. And as said those orange vending machines outside 7-11 still do ais