PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Ned website has been closed

werner
February 23rd, 2018, 15:53
I just tried to check on the "Dreaded Ned" website about some of the Pattaya bars discussed in this forum.
But found that it has been closed. What website[s] provide similar listings of gay venues in Thailand?

Moses
February 23rd, 2018, 16:04
travelgayasia (most up-to-date)
utopia-asia

both .com

goji
February 23rd, 2018, 19:57
The supply of these web sites has thinned out considerably in recent years. Nicky's site was good & well maintained, but seems to have disappeared. Obviously not a particularly lucrative business.

I do try to chip in with occasional updates to google maps, but this is only scratching the surface and it needs quite a few travelers to do the same to cover all cities.
Of course, any idiot can find Boyztown, but good map information becomes more important when looking for one bar in some obscure suburb of a Thai town.

gerefan2
February 23rd, 2018, 20:48
And the fact that Thais cannot draw a map to save their lives!

goji
February 23rd, 2018, 22:16
And the fact that Thais cannot draw a map to save their lives!
They are pretty useless at reading them too. Back in the days when I used a real map rather than a google map, if any kind Thai stopped to help, they never actually succeeded in assisting. Much better to send them on their way politely & figure it out myself.

colmx
February 24th, 2018, 00:05
Sad to see DreadedNed close
Long before Sawatdee and GayThailand forums, it was the go to forum for all things gay Thailand related
Eventually when Ned closed his forum people migrated to PattayaGay and the original GayButton forums... before eventually settling here after Allen and GB closed their original boards

frequent
February 24th, 2018, 03:09
Eventually when Ned closed his forum people migrated to PattayaGay and the original GayButton forums... before eventually settling here after Allen and GB closed their original boardsSome people may have done so, but those who have no interest in Pattaya did not, and soon found SGT's predecessor Forum which unlike the two you mentioned thrived, in particular because of its hands-off attitude to the sort of control that the Grand Ayatollah imposes on his board

f course, any idiot can find Boyztown ...The evidence for this is overwhelming

colmx
February 24th, 2018, 05:39
soon found SGT's predecessor Forum which unlike the two you mentioned thrived,

And what exactly was the SGT predecessor Forum? surely it was PattayaGay... it was probably one of the most successful boards... until Allen decided to shut it down and Smiles created the first incarnation of a Sawatdee board?
I'm sure Smiles will pop up soon enough to confirm the order in which things happened and settle your muddled memories!

frequent
February 24th, 2018, 06:02
And what exactly was the SGT predecessor Forum? surely it was PattayaGay... it was probably one of the most successful boards... until Allen decided to shut it down and Smiles created the first incarnation of a Sawatdee board?
I'm sure Smiles will pop up soon enough to confirm the order in which things happened and settle your muddled memories!I've been on this Forum and its predecessors ever since such things existed and I can assure you I have never stooped so low as to become a member of a Pattaya forum (nor for that matter even visit them), nor do I recall a time when a non-Pattaya forum was not available

colmx
February 24th, 2018, 07:55
I've been on this Forum and its predecessors ever since such things existed and I can assure you I have never stooped so low as to become a member of a Pattaya forum (nor for that matter even visit them), nor do I recall a time when a non-Pattaya forum was not available
So can you name this magical hands-off "utopia" board... or will you be struck down for daring to mention it?
Might it be that you were not welcome on the Pattaya board?
(Pretty much like you were not welcome here until the current owner allowed allowed back - for some peculiar reason)

frequent
February 24th, 2018, 08:00
(Pretty much like you were not welcome here until the current owner allowed allowed back - for some peculiar reason)Your grasp of the facts seems as tenuous as your grasp of history

scottish-guy
February 24th, 2018, 14:31
Facts and anything to do with this board have only a very loose association with each other.

We thrive mostly on tittle-tattle with the occasional foray into complete lies

:D

BonTong
February 25th, 2018, 03:08
What website[s] provide similar listings of gay venues in Thailand?

www.gayinchiangmai.com for everything gay in Chiang Mai, and we strive to keep it as up to date as possible.

Smiles
February 25th, 2018, 08:40
I'm sure Smiles will pop up soon enough to confirm the order in which things happened and settle your muddled memories!
Popping up . . . the problem with exact time-lines regarding the many gay Thailand message boards is that most have been along side one another. As time goes by folks get the years mixed up. The over-lapping is difficult, but I'll try.

~~ The Dreaded Ned Board existed fairly closely to the original GayButton Board. (Late 90's). PattayaGay sprung up either around 1999 or 2000. At about the same time as Dreaded Ned and into 2000's and about 2001 there was a very wild and wooly board (the name of which I've forgotten) which existed only under the "ladder" style, was moderator-less and crazy, and housed the infamous 'Flashlight Rick'. That board went by the wayside at about 2001. These three boards were alive at the same time.

~~ In late 2001 or early 2002 Smiles ~ that would be me ~ started up a "ladder" style Board named Sawatdee Forum. This was also about the time that Dreaded Ned pulled the message board part of the website ~ I think there was some legal issues ~and DN turned into a information-only website: i.e. lists and maps of gay venues; reviews of venues etc etc. GayButton, Pattaya Gay, and Sawatdee were also both running at the same time.

~~ In middle 2002 Sawatdee Forum changed from the original "Ladder" style into the much more standard style of GayButton and PattayaGay. Dreaded Ned still existed but was message board-free and languished, hardly ever up-dated. It went into a coma for many years, just recently kicking the bucket.

~~ I think sometime around 2003 PattayaGay was taken down. GayButtton and Sawatdee were essentially the only message boards of note in the field. The main difference between the two boards was 'moderation'. The former was highly moderated, but info rich ... mostly about Pattaya goings on. The latter was very loosely moderated and more Thailand-centric rather than Pattaya-centric. This situation carried on well into 2005~2007 when Ting Tong Board and GayThailand and Baht-Stop were started. All of sudden there were six!

~~ (Now I'm starting to have some memory problems.) Ting Tong Board lasted into around 2009 or 2010. Baht-Stop bit the dust a little after that. There was a few attemps at other gay Thailand message boards, but none lasted long.
Sawatdee, GayButton, and GayThailand are still in the boxing ring during this time frame, and as it is to this day in 2018.

~~ Gaybutton is still owned and moderated by the same one-and-only long-lived person. His board is still highly moderated but is still very popular, and deserves kudos for longevity, as well as becoming a bit easier on the hammer nowadays.

~~ GayThailand has had more than one owner, and more than one Moderator ... it also is over-moderated (IMO) and has a cabal of favourite long-termers who run the place.

~~ Sawatdee (going under different names over the years, but each has included the word 'Sawatdee', and that is how most folks refer to it as). It has had five owners (i.e. Smiles, ElephantSpike, Neil-The-Cunt, Surfcrest, and now Moses). Smiles and Surfcrest (I think) moderated alone ... ElephantSpike had one Mod ... Neil-The-Cunt had one mod ... and now Sawatdee has far too many. It remains the most hard-nosed and edgiest board. Let's hope it stays that way, but I'm not all that positive.

frequent
February 25th, 2018, 08:55
Popping up . . . the problem with exact time-lines regarding the many gay Thailand message boards is that most have been along side one another. As time goes by folks get the years mixed up. The over-lapping is difficult, but I'll try.

~~ In late 2001 or early 2002 Smiles ~ that would be me ~ started up a "ladder" style Board named Sawatdee Forum. This was also about the time that Dreaded Ned pulled the message board part of the website ~ I think there was some legal issues ~and DN turned into a information-only website: i.e. lists and maps of gay venues; reviews of venues etc etc. GayButton, Pattaya Gay, and Sawatdee were also both running at the same time.That is my recollection - DN and Sawatdee were briefly contemporaneous. As I recall DN may even have directed its ex-followers to Sawatdee. However a board known as "Thaiguys" preceded them both. Pattaya boards were irrelevant - a sideshow in fact

snotface
February 25th, 2018, 10:14
The Dreaded Ned board was where I first started posting. Sharing views and stories about the gay scene in Thailand felt novel and exciting back then. Each day I would tune in eagerly to check out responses to my own posts and see what was new. Subjects which now produce yawns and seem very old hat - eg are barboys interested in relationships with farangs or only their wallets? - were discussed endlessly. There were some great characters, including favourites of mine like the crazy-hilarious, stream-of-consciousness LOLA and the sharply humorous George, who once described himself as 'a cross between Benny Hill and Margaret Thatcher'. It was no 'golden age' as some like to imagine - there was plenty of bitching and squabbling right from the outset, as indeed how could it have been any different on a board primarily for a bunch of gay sex tourists? But it certainly felt like it was more fun. just from the novelty of it. Such was the technical naivety that posters on the DN board didn't even have passwords. Anyone could sign in and pretend to be someone else. That happened, but on nothing like what would be the scale if such a loophole existed in these more savvy times.

scottish-guy
February 25th, 2018, 10:30
You do realise that he was known as Neil The Cunt to two entirely disparate sections of the Pattaya sex scene for entirely different reasons?

He had more fists up him than Sooty, Lamb Chop, Kermit and Fozzy combined

joe552
February 25th, 2018, 11:04
SG, is that disparate or desperate?

Smiles
February 25th, 2018, 14:42
There were some great characters, including favourites of mine like the crazy-hilarious, stream-of-consciousness LOLA Indeed, I do miss LOLA and his wicked Cosmic Giggle.

christianpfc
February 25th, 2018, 14:54
See here: Gay Thailand forums, blogs, guides, encounters and magazines
http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2015/02/gay-forums-blogs-guides-and-encounters.html
for a comprehensive list.

kittyboy
February 25th, 2018, 20:16
You do realise that he was known as Neil The Cunt to two entirely disparate sections of the Pattaya sex scene for entirely different reasons?

He had more fists up him than Sooty, Lamb Chop, Kermit and Fozzy combined

Good one..but also a disturbing mind image.

I had a couple of drinks with Neal when he owned that bar off boyztown - happy boys? I do not remember the name.
He definitely liked to talk about himself and his perceived achievements. He reminded me of quite a few people I have known...basically self absorbed..self centered, and the worst trait of all..humorless. He did not have the ability to see his own ridiculousness (we are all ridiculous...it is the human condition).

One reason I do love visiting Thailand is at least on the surface..many of the Thai boys have the ability to laugh at themselves..and others without being malicious.

Smiles
February 26th, 2018, 17:57
" ... He [Neal] definitely liked to talk about himself and his perceived achievements . . . basically self absorbed, self centered, and the worst trait of all..humorless. He did not have the ability to see his own ridiculousness ... "
Sounds very much like Donald Trump.

scottish-guy
February 26th, 2018, 20:44
The "perceived achievements" amounted to running/selling a business retailing dildoes, butt plugs, and poppers, using the proceeds to open a thinly-disguised brothel, running an Internet forum into the ground, then (allegedly) pegging out on a flight back to the USA for medical treatment as he had squandered all his money.

Perhaps a statue should be erected in recognition of these remarkable feats

frequent
February 27th, 2018, 03:03
Sounds very much like Donald Trump.Or arsenal

kittyboy
February 27th, 2018, 07:06
The "perceived achievements" amounted to running/selling a business retailing dildoes, butt plugs, and poppers, using the proceeds to open a thinly-disguised brothel, running an Internet forum into the ground, then (allegedly) pegging out on a flight back to the USA for medical treatment as he had squandered all his money.

I am an occasional poster here so I did not and do not have a strong opinion about Neal and his operation of this website. As I recall the evening I stopped by his bar..I introduced myself (We had made arrangements to meet via messages.) and he then proceeded to talk endlessly about himself. I was essentially his audience as he regaled HIMSELF with stories about..blah blah blah.

He was similar to many people I have met over the years..he had virtually no interest in conversation..his purpose during our interaction seemed to be to point out how capable he was (as a businessman..etc) and pointing out how incapable others were. He had to be correct about everything and seemed to love pointing out the flaws in everything around him. I told him I had never drank Johnny Walker Blue Label and he served me up 2 portions. I could not drink it fast enough so I could get out of there...he offered to pour me more free Blue Label (He was losing his audience) but I begged off. He seemed like a sad lonely man who had a small amount of money who used it to buy the time of others.

I don't know if being an expat leads to more unhappiness. I lived in China for 6 years and was reasonably happy. I had a good job and a large community of friends. I wonder if the expat life in Thailand is such that people feel isolated and then act out emotionally. Hmm..

My last comment on Neal is that he was absolutely humorless.
A trait sometimes common in some of the posters on free form posting boards. Maybe that is why he wanted to own this board..he saw himself in its posters..Ah..OK lighten up..just a little dig on my part.

werner
March 1st, 2018, 10:01
[QUOTE=Smiles;237758]Popping up . . . the problem with exact time-lines regarding the many gay Thailand message boards is that most have been along side one another. As time goes by folks get the years mixed up. The over-lapping is difficult, but I'll try.

Interesting information about the various forums and websites. Thanks

FarangRuMak
March 12th, 2018, 10:50

You forgot that he survived Monty's frozen Pea Soup-but only just.

scottish-guy
March 13th, 2018, 14:55
It was actually chicken soup - and I'll have you know that, as a result of the Fat Cunt surviving, I never actually had to pay Monty the agreed fee

a447
March 13th, 2018, 15:00
It was actually chicken soup

If I recall correctly, it was actually chicken matzo ball soup.

I made a comment about it and got a nasty pm from him accusing me of being anti-Semitic!!

As for dreaded Ned, the info on that site had been out of date for years. So it's no great loss.

scottish-guy
March 13th, 2018, 15:03
I knew that - I didn't want to be accused of anti-semitism again

frequent
March 13th, 2018, 15:21
I'm an afficionado of chicken

scottish-guy
March 13th, 2018, 15:25
Well no wonder you don't care for a certain old turkey on this forum - who can take any amount of stuffing up his arse