PDA

View Full Version : Palmers

pennyboy
February 11th, 2018, 17:00
Headed to Palmers today for my Sunday roast but It was shuttered and the sign gone. Anyone know the story here?

Blacktouch
February 11th, 2018, 17:10
Wow, they do/did excellent Sunday roast dinners.

On my last visit back in January between 1st to 11th, I visited twice and notice business was slower than normal.

scottish-guy
February 11th, 2018, 17:12
...and anybody know the story about Palmer himself - I've always thought with the way he looked and the paraphernalia on the walls (of the original place) that he seemed an interesting character. Exchanged a few greetings over the years but never any real conversation.

I always imagined he'd been a professional boxer or something.

Hope it doesn't turn out he's gone to the big loom in the sky

francois
February 11th, 2018, 17:35
Done and Gone.

scottish-guy
February 11th, 2018, 17:38
The bar or Palmer or both?

Do I have to head over to GB to find anything out? :D

EDIT: Just been over there - nothing - OMFG it seems SGT has the scoop on this!!

Blacktouch
February 11th, 2018, 17:45
Could it be closed due to the regeneration of the area?

francois
February 11th, 2018, 19:15
To my knowledge, Palmer is out of business.

Blacktouch
February 11th, 2018, 19:19
The phone number still rings.

francois
February 11th, 2018, 23:04
Blacktouch, a dear friend died recently yet his phone still "rings" but no one answers.

Blacktouch
February 11th, 2018, 23:38
Blacktouch, a dear friend died recently yet his phone still "rings" but no one answers.

I understand your point. But I just thought if the business went down, the phone line may have gone dead. Hence the reason I called their phone number. But I fully here what your saying.

gerefan2
February 12th, 2018, 02:01
Funnily enough Happy Place, next to Palmers, was all lit up inside the other night...as if something was going to happen there.
And I don’t mean any of you was setting fire to it...though from what I’ve read...!

scottish-guy
February 12th, 2018, 02:05
Maybe the Fat Cunt is haunting the place

gerefan2
February 12th, 2018, 02:22
I knew you would be the first !

poshglasgow
February 12th, 2018, 06:24
Maybe the Fat Cunt is haunting the place

Who, or what on earth, is the 'Fat Cunt'? I'd be interested.

It's a term that scares me, as I have visions of being sucked into a deep, unfamiliar, cavernous trap, over which I have no control... or interest!!

a447
February 12th, 2018, 06:58
....I have visions of being sucked into a deep, unfamiliar, cavernous trap, over which I have no control... or interest!!

That was precisely the fate of the boys he offed!

arsenal
February 12th, 2018, 07:32
And the members here who got involved with him. He haunts their psyche's to this very day.

frequent
February 12th, 2018, 08:09
And the members here who got involved with him. He haunts their psyche's to this very day.Their psyche's what?

Jellybean
February 12th, 2018, 09:12
Who, or what on earth, is the 'Fat Cunt'? I'd be interested . . .

In more polite circles, so obviously potty-mouthed scottish-guy is not included, the fat c*** is more properly known as, He-who-must-not-be-named. This clearly means he should never be named on the open forum. He is a former owner of this learned forum. To be more precise, the owner prior to Surfcrest. For further information I suggest you re-read the posting guidelines.

And since you say you are posh, although being from Glasgow that is somewhat doubtful, but nevertheless, I think on this occasion you can be safely included in the polite circles group. So no smutty talk, if you please.

But please note, this does not mean an automatic entry into the Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club. Admission to that esteemed body is strictly by invitation only.

:D

bkkguy
February 12th, 2018, 18:57
He haunts their psyche's to this very day.

Their psyche's what?

according to Fowler's (3rd ed) intransitive possessive phrases like "Their psyche's" are like intransitive verbs in that they not require a direct object - this is a subtly of English grammar than many non-native speakers, and indeed even some native speaking grammar Nazis, have a problem with

bkkguy

Blacktouch
February 12th, 2018, 19:03
Any news yet on Palmers closure?

scottish-guy
February 12th, 2018, 21:25
It has taken two pages already to establish precisely nothing - so if you're expecting anything of substance then I fear you'll be disappointed.

Try Gaybutton

aot871
February 13th, 2018, 01:05
It has taken two pages already to establish precisely nothing - so if you're expecting anything of substance then I fear you'll be disappointed.

Try Gaybutton
i agree with scottish -guy,, 23 replys on this subject , of which 12 have nothing to do with palmers I just wish the Mod would look into items like this. While i dont always agree with what goes on in gaybuttons site , at least he manages to control trolls

Captain Swing
February 13th, 2018, 02:08
according to Fowler's (3rd ed) intransitive possessive phrases like "Their psyche's" are like intransitive verbs in that they not require a direct object - this is a subtly of English grammar than many non-native speakers, and indeed even some native speaking grammar Nazis, have a problem with

bkkguy
I fear you've missed the point. It's not a "subtly," nor even a subtlety, that plurals are not made by using an apostrophe.

P.S. I've never heard of Palmer's and, alas, have no information on their closure.

Blacktouch
February 13th, 2018, 03:19
i agree with scottish -guy,, 23 replys on this subject , of which 12 have nothing to do with palmers I just wish the Mod would look into items like this. While i dont always agree with what goes on in gaybuttons site , at least he manages to control trolls

As per usual, every topic goes of track.

Brad the Impala
February 13th, 2018, 05:08

Anyone who has any information about Palmers still has the opportunity to post it, and by the thread being continually bumped to the top of the list by the "off topic comments" the question is kept to the forefront.

And that's off track too.

Captain Swing
February 13th, 2018, 05:25
All too true, and I humbly apologize for contributing to the trend. But I'm still trying to deal with the staggering irony of a certain Caledonian fellow being one to raise the issue.

frequent
February 13th, 2018, 06:35
Is this the same Palmers that's the subject of the saying "Mrs Palmer and her five daughters", or (more apposite for this forum) "Mr Palmer and his five sons". Not that I'm condoning incest you understand

francois
February 13th, 2018, 08:52
Any news yet on Palmers closure?

Still closed.

scottish-guy
February 13th, 2018, 13:56
...the staggering irony of a certain Caledonian fellow being one to raise the issue.

But you've misunderstood Cap'n - my issue was not really about off-topic comments - it was that after 2 pages, those who had posted (even on topic) actually knew next to nothing other than a bar was closed.

And apart from that Cap'n, the Dilithium Crystals arr disintegratin', the engines will nivver stand it and ah canny change the laws of physics, Jim !!