PDA

View Full Version : Emirates to fly from Stansted

gerefan2
February 8th, 2018, 14:17
Emirates are starting a new service from Stansted to Dubai in June. This is fantastic news for those of us who live in East Anglia, East London etc.
No more Heathrow, no more M25, no more tube right the way across London.
Will be worth the change in Dubai.
Let’s hope it’s a success!

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2018, 15:01
Most people will not understand how living in "East Anglia, East London etc" with access to that City's excellent direct express rail services (some taking just 15 minutes) to a choice of no less than FIVE airports which between them offer non-stop flights all over the world, can be in any way moaned about.

As Harold MacMillan said "You've never had it so good". Arsenal will remember that, he was in his twenties :p

arsenal
February 8th, 2018, 15:40
East Anglia has very poor transport links to anywhere, even other places in East Anglia. So it's good news for anyone living there.

Now. Let's take a look at your posting history Scottish.
An obsession with bowel movements and the toilet in general going back many years.
A never ending supply line of Grandad style puns and 'jokes'.
An out of proportion rage and fury when the price of anything goes up, even by a little bit.
An irritation with the younger generation as documented on the everything Else forum.
Over numerous trips to Thailand all we have from you is a photo of a gentle bottle of beer taken in Oscars.

All of this brings the inescapable conclusion that you are an older man who enjoys a sedentary lifestyle.

My posts on the other hand are about boys and bars and boys and bikes and boys and restaurants and boys and clubs because I live a far more active life than you do.

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2018, 16:15
Please read the original post - the reference points were East Anglia and East London - how anyone can complain about getting from East London to any of London's FIVE airports, beats me.

Now, since YOU have dragged the thread totally off topic:

I do admit my humour is a bit Benny Hill but I'd contend that's better than you having no apparent sense of humour at all, and I simply don't recognise the "rage and fury" over prices going up. The younger generation do not irritate me any more than aspects of behaviour of the older generation - I'm just generally irritable.

I do agree though that your posts are all about boys and boys and boys and more boys (young enough to be your great-grandchildren as Frequent would point out) and as these boy-filled posts are coming from a postcard collector who doesn't deny being in his mid to late 70's they're more than a little disturbing.

Finally I posted far more than one photograph from Oscars - amongst others, I distinctly recall posting a pic of a receipt for a roll and sausage from Fiddy's in Phuket, so fuck you!

:yahoo_mini:

arsenal
February 8th, 2018, 16:26
My apologies over the photo error.

gerefan2
February 8th, 2018, 16:27
Most people will not understand how living in "East Anglia, East London etc" with access to that City's excellent direct express rail services (some taking just 15 minutes) to a choice of no less than FIVE airports which between them offer non-stop flights all over the world, can be in any way moaned about.
:p

This is about flying to Thailand. You cannot fly direct to Thailand from any of the 5 so called London Airports, except Heathrow.

Af for the 15 minute train journey....well you’ve forgotten the hours it can take to get into
London to start said journey.

Why not keep personal beefs to PMs or I will be forced to press my little red triangle and inform the moderators....ah scratch that.

arsenal
February 8th, 2018, 16:30
Gerefan2 wrote.
"Why not keep personal beefs to PMs"

Done.

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2018, 17:17
This is about flying to Thailand. You cannot fly direct to Thailand from any of the 5 so called London Airports, except Heathrow.

I said you can fly direct all over the world from London which has 5 airports - that includes Thailand (yes, from LHR) which is a 15 minute express train ride from central London - If I want a direct flight I'd have to travel almost 500 miles for it - you have a practical option I don't have - so why are you moaning?

As for the 15 minute train journey....well you’ve forgotten the hours it can take to get into London to start said journey...

You're suggesting it takes hours to get from East London (you cited it) to Paddington? East Anglia I accept has poor links ( I spent 2 weeks in Ipswich once) but in the scheme of things no worse than other parts of the country and a lot better than many. Again I'd have to travel 5 hours to get a direct flight to Thailand and from say Aberdeen someone would have to travel 9 hours. I really don't think people in the SE of England have a valid complaint about transport links - Govt money is no object when it comes to throwing it at London infrastructure and transport links.

Having said all that I welcome the Emirates flight from Stansted though it makes no difference to me whatsoever

arsenal
February 9th, 2018, 07:59
I suspect that over the next few years we'll see lots more airlines offering flights to far flung places from regional airports. The Boeing Dreamliner was designed with exactly that in mind.

joe552
February 9th, 2018, 08:58
Could many regional airports accommodate the Dreamliner? Does it not require "2 level" gates?

arsenal
February 9th, 2018, 09:02
No. That's the Airbus A380.

joe552
February 9th, 2018, 09:06
Thanks for the correction arsenal

colmx
February 10th, 2018, 00:35
I suspect that over the next few years we'll see lots more airlines offering flights to far flung places from regional airports. The Boeing Dreamliner was designed with exactly that in mind.
For me the Dreamliner (Certainly Qatar's fit out) is the worst plane I have been on since I started flying long distance...

Cramped seats, narrow aisles, even narrower plastic armrests, gigantic in flight entertainment system taking up 40% of the available legroom, when the person in front reclines their seat it is practically touching your nose!

The worst part is those stupid dimmable window shades, when flying on a day flight they may stop the suns glare, but they do not stop the Middle Eastern heat, similarly on a cold night flight they provide no thermal insulation.
Overall a bad, bad plane!

Thankfully emirates have none of these so I will be sticking to their relatively roomy 777s and very roomy A380s from now on!

frequent
February 10th, 2018, 03:41
For me the Dreamliner (Certainly Qatar's fit out) is the worst plane I have been on since I started flying long distance...Each airline's fitout is different. Your criticism is like condemning Pattaya because arsenal is there

goji
February 10th, 2018, 04:02
Well, I have no intention of flying with that lot, transiting through their shitty ****ed up part of the world unless it comes to the point where I cannot afford direct flights.

Thankfully EVA still fly from Heathrow's lovely new T2. Although I'm living about an hour's drive to Stansted, Heathrow is easier to get to with a taxi or by public transport.

If I were living anywhere north of Newcastle, indirect flights might be worth considering. But not via Stansted.

frequent
February 10th, 2018, 04:55
Well, I have no intention of flying with that lot, transiting through their shitty ****ed up part of the world.I love moral outrage. So goji won't transit the Middle East on his way to fuck young prostitutes in a faraway Third World country

scottish-guy
February 10th, 2018, 05:13
... narrow aisles, even narrower plastic armrests..

To be fair there would be something seriously wrong if the armrests were wider than the aisles!!

:D

BonTong
February 10th, 2018, 08:15
Used to fly through Stansted several times a month back in the late nineties. It was a wonderful airport until it got taken over by the RyanScare hoards. Now avoid like the plague.

Flying direct to Thailand is not always the best solution. National carriers (e.g. Bloody Awful BA) charge a hefty premium for direct passengers departing from their country (At least, for business class fares). Route via another European hub and the fares can be half as much, especially if you don't live near London and have to fly from a regional airport anyway.

Andaman!
February 10th, 2018, 14:03
Each airline's fitout is different. Your criticism is like condemning Pattaya because arsenal is there

The problem with the Dreamliner is that it is too narrow. Originally designed to have eight seats across in the steerage / economy / coach section, almost all airlines have chosen to squeeze in another row of seats to give 9 abreast with a seat width of little more than 17 inches. The Airbus A350 is 12cm wider which makes a significant difference to the width of the seat and to passenger comfort in the steerage section. Clearly this is less of a problem in the Business class cabin or Premium Economy and First if fitted by the particular airline. The A350 is also quieter had has the wonderful tail cam which is great to watch.

frequent
February 10th, 2018, 14:17
The problem with the Dreamliner is that it is too narrow. Originally designed to have eight seats across in the steerage / economy / coach section, almost all airlines have chosen to squeeze in another row of seats to give 9 abreast with a seat width of little more than 17 inches. The Airbus A350 is 12cm wider which makes a significant difference to the width of the seat and to passenger comfort in the steerage section. Clearly this is less of a problem in the Business class cabin or Premium Economy and First if fitted by the particular airline. The A350 is also quieter had has the wonderful tail cam which is great to watch.

"Cabin interior width is approximately 18 feet (550 cm) at armrest level. The Dreamliner's cabin width is 15 inches (38 cm) more than that of the Airbus A330 and A340, 5 inches (13 cm) less than the A350, and 16 in (41 cm) less than the 777. The 787's economy seats can be up to 17.5 in (44.4 cm) wide for nine-abreast seating and up to 19 inches (48 cm) wide for eight-abreast seating arrangements. Most airlines are selecting the nine-abreast (3–3–3) configuration. The 787's nine-abreast seating for economy provides passengers less space, particularly across the hips and shoulders, than any other jet airliner. So some observers recommend passengers, particularly taller or larger individuals, to avoid the 787 for international service, though others note that the 787 is more comfortable than other airplanes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner

billyhouston
February 10th, 2018, 18:29
With homes 'oop north' in UK and in Chiang Mai, most airlines require 3 flights. Qatar now flies into CNX but the timings are horrible and, however you work it, you end up with one 30+ hours trip. After many years with EVA and five years with Air France, Manchester - Hong Kong - Chiang Mai, on Cathay, is my route of choice. New A350s rather than ancient 777s and their premium economy is very comfortable for a 190cm frame.

marti
February 20th, 2018, 07:35
scottish-guy was born an asshole and will die an asshole.

frequent
February 20th, 2018, 07:54
scottish-guy was born an asshole and will die an asshole.Ah marti, you're back, and still the charmer you always were

scottish-guy
February 20th, 2018, 13:53
scottish-guy was born an asshole and will die an asshole.

It beats being what drops out of one my dear

snotface
February 20th, 2018, 14:36
It beats being what drops out of one my dear

An American tourist had spent a tiring day doing the round of sights in central London and he wasn't impressed. As he trudged up the steps of his posh West End hotel late afternoon, he announced to the doorman, 'This city really is the asshole of the world.' To which the doorman calmly replied, 'Just passing through, are you, sir?'