PDA

View Full Version : Where Go-Go go now?

FarangRuMak
February 7th, 2018, 22:45
Now that ''Soi Twilight' has been sold and is to be demolished next June/July (or later depending on litigataion by leaseholders etc) the Go- Go bar owners are desperately casting around in search of a new home.
Silom Soi 4 & 6 are being looked at but they have short commings.
Up to them but we will all miss the old barque of delight.
Tara Grand Hotels just want to build one more hotel.

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2018, 06:11
Where Go-Go go now?

Up some back passage would be the most apposite new location

FarangRuMak
February 8th, 2018, 12:39
You're pointing in the right direction but do you have to use the 'A' word?

frequent
February 8th, 2018, 12:54
You're pointing in the right direction but do you have to use the 'A' word?You don't think it apposite?

gerefan2
February 8th, 2018, 13:49
The rich millionaire German from Dream boys (who was rumoured to want to retire) has fallen on his feet again.....

frequent
February 8th, 2018, 15:15
The rich millionaire German from Dream boys (who was rumoured to want to retire) has fallen on his feet again.....As Jesus said "To those who have, even more shall be given"

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2018, 15:44
Give him credit - despite decades of contact with Thai rent boys his bank balance has apparently grown rather than having disappeared as is the normal way of things.

werner
February 8th, 2018, 16:13
I have seen and greeted the German owner of Dream Boys several times when I have visited his bar.

Why is he so unfriendly toward customers? I have greeted him in English, in German, and in my native French.
But all I have gotten is a sullen stare......

Yes, we Europeans tend to be more reserved and reticent than talkative Americans and Australians [perhaps I should not stereotype.... ]. But he is extreme....

Some of the successful bar owners have been very friendly with customers. Such was certainly the case with successful ventures of the past,such as Coffee Boy in Chiang Mai, Adam and Eve in Pattaya, and Midnight Cowboy and Masuda Super Lex in Bangkok.

a447
February 8th, 2018, 17:21
Werner, I've had numerous conversations with him, both in German and English.

I've always found him to be quite chatty.

Last time, we spoke about his childhood growing up after the war. And he also told me he would be retiring within 2 years, if I recall.

He looks sour, but he's actually ok. Perhaps you met him on an off night.

The pending closure of Soi Twilight would be the last thing on his mind, I imagine.

werner
February 8th, 2018, 17:37
Werner, I've had numerous conversations with him, both in German and English.

I've always found him to be quite chatty.

Last time, we spoke about his childhood growing up after the war. And he also told me he would be retiring within 2 years, if I recall.

He looks sour, but he's actually ok. Perhaps you met him on an off night.

The pending closure of Soi Twilight would be the last thing on his mind, I imagine.

A447, Thank you very much for your comments. I should NOT be judgemental.

He was probably busy or occupied during the several times when I greeted him, and not able to talk. Sometimes the bar is packed with customers, and staff are trying to prepare for the show.

And perhaps it was I who was not so friendly when I greeted him.

FarangRuMak
February 8th, 2018, 18:31
As Jesus said "To those who have, even more shall be given"
Jeeze! I don't think Jesus would say such a thing; Moses maybe.
"Jesus saves, Moses invests" Anon.

a447
February 8th, 2018, 18:56
"He was probably busy or occupied..."

Probably busy counting his money!

frequent
February 9th, 2018, 03:30
Some of the successful bar owners have been very friendly with customers. Such was certainly the case with successful ventures of the past,such as Coffee Boy in Chiang Mai, Adam and Eve in Pattaya, and Midnight Cowboy and Masuda Super Lex in Bangkok.People don't go to Soi Twilight to suck up to the bar owner in the hope of a free "off", which is the usual reason to suck up to the owners of bars in Soi 4 (a free drink). Why the obsession with chatting to bar owners? It's quite evident that there's no relationship between the success of a bar and the ability of the customers to suck up to the owners

FarangRuMak
February 9th, 2018, 11:47

You don't think it apposite?
I have to say yes but apposite, once rare here, is now ubquitous and thus has lost it's charm like the Cambodians in Jomtien.

frequent
February 9th, 2018, 12:27
Jeeze! I don't think Jesus would say such a thing; .No need to parade your ignorance, it's a direct quotation from the Gospels

FarangRuMak
February 9th, 2018, 13:39

No need to parade your ignorance, it's a direct quotation from the Gospels

A direct quotation from the Gospels?
I am ignorant.
I was searching in the Koran but I failed to find it there.
Thank you.

scottish-guy
February 9th, 2018, 14:01
The Gorbals?

FarangRuMak
February 9th, 2018, 23:53
The Gorbals?

If you could tweak the location name a little to read 'Gorballs' it might work.
There used to be a bar at the back end of soi Twilight called 'Balls'.

BonTong
February 10th, 2018, 07:21
such as Coffee Boy in Chiang Mai,

Ah the memories.

Last time I went to Coffee Boy was memorable, despite the bar being in its death throws. The mamasan was keen to point out that the katoey doing the "fabulous" drag show was only 16. Not really what I wanted to hear..... I later went to the toilet, which doubled as the "artistes" changing room, to be confronted by said katoey, sitting at a table wearing only tiny white ladies undies, with his hormone induced titties on full display. Not that he paid me any attention; far to busy doing his school homework. Only in Thailand :)).

Here is LuLu the life and soul of coffee boy.

See more: www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/tag/coffee-boy/ (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/tag/coffee-boy/)

scottish-guy
February 11th, 2018, 18:19
...There used to be a bar at the back end of soi Twilight called 'Balls'...

I remember passing it but I was never in it as, from memory (maybe defective) there were some pool tables visible from the Soi and I formed the impression it was a kind of "sports bar" themed venue, in which case it would not appeal to me at all.

bkkguy
February 11th, 2018, 18:29
yes it was a sports bar, but the name was doubly apposite as it was a sister venue to Dick's in the same soi

bkkguy

scottish-guy
February 11th, 2018, 18:30
Dick's and Balls :D Didn't realise that - thanks for info

latintopxxx
February 14th, 2018, 05:29
i fail to understand. Why has the german landed on his feet if his highly successful packed to the rafters bars are about to be closed down because the soi has been sold??

frequent
February 14th, 2018, 05:42
i fail to understand. Why has the german landed on his feet if his highly successful packed to the rafters bars are about to be closed down because the soi has been sold??He announced about a year ago that he was planning to retire in a couple of years from then as truckloads of tourists buying one drink to see the show wasn't a sustainable business model. Perhaps he's getting compensation for having his lease terminated?

chillnorther
February 14th, 2018, 14:23
Jeeze! I don't think Jesus would say such a thing; Moses maybe.
"Jesus saves, Moses invests" Anon.

But Satan gives a hell of a return.

gerefan2
February 14th, 2018, 22:37
i fail to understand. Why has the german landed on his feet if his highly successful packed to the rafters bars are about to be closed down because the soi has been sold??

And IF he is also the owner he will now not have to sell the business on.... I say “ if” to make it quite clear, to all, as I have seen posts saying one thing and another.

FarangRuMak
February 14th, 2018, 23:15
In such circumstances (outright purchase of multiple businesses) compensation would be paid to leaseholders in most Western countries.
But this is Thailand where it's always wise to expect the unexpected.
I know a 'farang' businessman who moved his expanding business in Pattaya to a larger location under a long lease and the move cost him a lot of money.
Out of the blue the place was sold and he got a month's notice to get out.
He didn't panic at first but to make a long story short he had to leave without compensation after a few months.