PDA

View Full Version : Is the Golden Banana Hotel & Sauna closed??

CambodiaVisitor
February 1st, 2018, 11:33
I am going to Siem Reap next week, and read online that it's closed. Anyone have information about it being open or closed? I wanted to check out the sauna there. The Facebook page is down, but the website seems to be up.

paulo15
February 4th, 2018, 08:05
Hi,
Golden banana hotel is still open, but the gay friendly part of the Golden Banana group rebranded as Rambutan a couple of years ago. Neither GB or Rambutan have a sauna, maybe you are thinking about Men's Resort?
Cheers

Andaman!
February 4th, 2018, 13:40
Paulo15 you are clearly not uptodate. Part of the property was split off and rebranded as Rambutan. Rambutanis a lovely hotel and gay owned and gay friendly but lots of families and kids stay there. The remaining Golden Banana was divided into two parts last with one section being entirely gay for men only and with a sauna. I have not visited. Website is www.golden-banana-for-men.com

paulo15
February 6th, 2018, 06:57
Hi, thanks for the update. You are correct I am not up to date as I stay at Rambutan and was last there in 2017 when I thought the GB was just operating as normal, ie very mixed, younger travellers guest house. I see it rebranded as a Men only gay hotel in September 17, so absolutely no experience with it other than saying the location is good.
Cheers

pong
May 5th, 2018, 17:50
Paulo15 you are clearly not uptodate. Part of the property was split off and rebranded as Rambutan. Rambutanis a lovely hotel and gay owned and gay friendly but lots of families and kids stay there. The remaining Golden Banana was divided into two parts last with one section being entirely gay for men only and with a sauna. I have not visited. Website is www.golden-banana-for-men.com

Website-link is out of order now.
In TH most of those low-key places now use fb for ads too, but as I dont have it nor would want it, others may try to find out.

paborn
May 11th, 2018, 20:44
website comes up as "account suspended"

Old git
August 11th, 2018, 20:02
' Rambutan is a lovely hotel '

Has it had a refit then?

I stayed there three years ago (I think) and was not greatly impressed - my room was not mosquito proof, and the stairs were deadly if you've had a drink. Friendly enough, but little to suggest it being a 'gay' venue, and no available talent anywhere nearby..

Andaman!
August 12th, 2018, 12:02
Rambutan is a delight - never had an issue with mosquitoes in the rooms. I agree that the stairs are steep but I normally choose one of the deluxe rooftop villas where the living and sleeping accommodation is at ground floor level albeit the rooftop balcony in up steep stairs. Plenty of talent within short walking distance in the heart of Siem Reap which is more than can be said for the numerous large package tour hotels located along the road leading to Angkor Wat. If you are now too frail for a 5 to 10 minute walk, you can fire up your cellphone and go onto the apps and let them come to you.

frequent
August 12th, 2018, 12:09
... no available talent anywhere nearby..Rather a showstopper

Asia Traveler
August 13th, 2018, 05:34
Dream Boys is just a five minute $2 Tuktuk ride away. It opens at 16:00 with a Happy Hour beer at $1 until 18:00 I believe. There are plenty of barboys there and I always end up with a table full as at $1 a beer I can afford to buy for all. If you want a massage they offer that as well. The show is at 22:00 each night. $20 off fee. $30 short time. Rambutan allows guests with proper ID. Yes I wish that Linga Bar was still open but there is also Bar Code Bar which some free lancers visit. They also have a show at 21:00 nightly. Finally as others have said Grindr has a good amount of talent.

Asia Traveler
August 13th, 2018, 06:25
One more thought is that Siem Reap has a new transportation option call PassApp. It works like GrabTaxi (they have that as well) but you can choose type of vehicle as in Tuktuk, car, or rickshaw. The rickshaw is, similar to a Tuktuk but it is smaller and cheaper. It is enclosed cab. Fare is determined by the app not the driver and displayed to you after the trip is completed.

Manforallseasons
August 16th, 2018, 07:02
Unless you insist to seeing the ruins go to Phenom Phen........once there avoid Blue Chili and go to new gay bar area Valentino street.

goji
August 17th, 2018, 00:28
Getting back to Siem Reap, is there any gay, or gay friendly hotel that is in the up to $40 a night range ?

About 5 years ago, I was paying about $24 in Siem Reap.
This is Cambodia, not Switzerland, so I expect there should be some good value available. When the time comes, perhaps I just need to use google & send a few e-mails asking questions (about joiners etc)