PDA

View Full Version : May's Urban Thai restaurant

snotface
January 25th, 2018, 09:16
As a rule I'm not very fond of Thai food and eat it perhaps two or three times a month. I dislike all seafood, which doesn't help. Last night, based on great reviews of it on Tripadvisor where it's a top ten Pattaya restaurant, I decided to try May's Urban Thai restaurant. It's located on Thepprasit road about a five minute walk from the Thappraya road end, just past Maggs. It's a small cosy place with dark walls and concrete floor and lots of flowers and hanging plants to cheer it up. About half full when I arrived at about 7.30. I was served by the manageress Emily who was very friendly and helpful. The menu has many meat and seafood options but when I said I like to eat vegetarian she produced a separate vegetarian menu with many items and hardly any of the dreaded bean curd or tofu regulars in sight. On her recommendation I chose the mixed vegetable curry. While I was waiting a small goblet of pineapple juice, an amuse bouche and a face towel arrived gratis.

My mixed vegetable curry had a good selection of vegetables and none of those hard little pea things which many places seem to consider compulsory. The curry sauce was mild (as requested) and flavourful - so delicious that I spooned up the remnants of it once the vegetables were finished. For dessert I had the coconut pancake with coconut ice cream and jackfruit slivers. Only minor complaint - the ice cream wasn't fully thawed out. The bill, including a soft drink, was just under 500 baht which was reasonable considering the quality of the food. The place gets a big thumbs up from me and I will return to try more of the interesting-looking vegetarian options. I might also try the massaman curry with imported beef which receives many positive comments.

If you'd like to see menu items with pictures click on the Pattaya branch and the menu tag will appear.

https://mays.restaurant/

arsenal
January 25th, 2018, 09:27
Wonderful post. Someone's clearly having a very pleasant time of things in Pattaya.

a447
January 25th, 2018, 12:46
"...none of those hard little pea things ..."

Thai eggplants??

snotface
January 25th, 2018, 14:21
Yes, I forgot the word, thanks. Not the golf ball size eggplant which I can eat but don't particularly like. I mean the pea size eggplant which is hard and explodes in your mouth like a mini-grenade. Hate those! :eek:

francois
January 25th, 2018, 16:55
Never heard of Mays but will definitely try it. Looks good. Thanks

Jellybean
January 25th, 2018, 17:14
Never heard of Mays but will definitely try it. Looks good. Thanks

We could try it out françois, but if we end up with a bad case of the trotskies, we’ll know who to blame - snotface!

Oh and to avoid any demerits, let me add for the benefit of Robbie Robot, I enjoyed reading the OP. It was a very well written restaurant review and I look forward to reading future reviews. :p

arsenal
January 25th, 2018, 21:37
Well Jellybean if you're going to blame him then perhaps you should rename any problems 'the Snotskies.'

a447
January 25th, 2018, 22:45
Yuk!

You are putting me off my food!

Jellybean
January 26th, 2018, 11:59
Well Jellybean if you're going to blame him then perhaps you should rename any problems 'the Snotskies.'

Ooooh you are awful arsenal, but I ‘liked’ your post. I just hope we haven’t offended snotface with all our talk of bodily functions on his very well written restaurant review topic.

Talking of snotface, (a name which appeals to my schoolboy sense of humour) I should like to thank him for explaining the background to his choice of forum name. Am I correct in thinking the collection of short stories entitled; If Truth Be Told has a special connection to you, snotface?

Yuk!

You are putting me off my food!

Sorry, a447, I forgot that when we met last year, you happened to mention that you enjoy the traditional Australian breakfast of duck-billed platypus soup, kangaroo spare ribs and koala curry. So I should have been more sensitive to your and our other members eating habits when I made my comments.

But just thinking about your breakfast fare, if not cooked properly, I would imagine that few things would be more guaranteed to give you a very bad case of the . . . er, em . . . well, I won’t repeat the word, but I think most members will get my drift. :blush:

a447
January 26th, 2018, 12:21
But just thinking about your breakfast fare, if not cooked properly, . .

What?. Am I supposed to cook it?

Now you tell me! I'm used to eating stuff raw.

Christ! No wonder I end up with a very bad case of the shits every morning!

snotface
January 26th, 2018, 12:37
Talking of snotface, (a name which appeals to my schoolboy sense of humour) I should like to thank him for explaining the background to his choice of forum name. Am I correct in thinking the collection of short stories entitled; If Truth Be Told has a special connection to you, snotface?

What a clever little Jellybean you are! The first person to positively identify me. :clapping: Usual (much more boring) board name, PeterUK.

Jellybean
January 26th, 2018, 17:22
. . . Christ! No wonder I end up with a very bad case of the shits every morning!

Ah-ha! So that’s why you are so slim and have the body of a man half your age, a447. If I had the stomach to follow the example of your traditional Australian breakfast fare, with the aim of achieving similar results to you, I would. But, I’m afraid to say, the very thought of it makes me gag.

The only solution is, if I want to get the body of a man half my age, then I think I’ll just have to do what I normally do and that is to rent one. Lol!

What a clever little Jellybean you are . . .

Awwww . . . the last person to say that, snotface, was my dear, late and sadly missed mother, who used to say that while bathing me as a child. Ooops . . . I think I may have just revealed too much personal information. Lol!

Before posting my previous message at post #9, I looked amongst the few books I keep here in Bangkok, as I was convinced that I had a copy of, If Truth be Told and other Tales of Thailand. But alas, I could not find it. I must have taken it back to the UK at some point. I can however thoroughly recommend it to my fellow members and forum readers. I found it a jolly good read.

a447
January 26th, 2018, 17:42
Can we get it at a bookstore somewhere in Bangkok?

If so, I'll pick up a copy.

snotface
January 26th, 2018, 21:14
It came out ten years ago and the only place I know which might still have a few copies is Bookzone in Thapae road, Chiang Mai. I occasionally see copies in secondhand bookshops. Or next time you're in Pattaya send me a pm and I'll be happy to give you a free copy.

a447
January 26th, 2018, 21:50
Thanks.

arsenal
January 26th, 2018, 21:53
Mr S Face. If you're going to regularly post restaurant reviews here and I really hope you do then you might like to consider changing your handle. I don't understand the software but Moses does and I'm sure something can be worked out.

a447
January 26th, 2018, 22:01
Jellybean, just wondering - how on earth did you make the connection between snotface and the book?

Clever indeed!

Jellybean
January 27th, 2018, 12:29
Jellybean, just wondering - how on earth did you make the connection between snotface and the book?

Clever indeed!

Oh no a447, I don’t claim any special insight, no doubt other members worked out that snotface was formerly, PeterUK, I was just the first one to mention it in the open forum.

Snotface gave away a significant clue at post #12 on his, My first trip to Pattaya topic when he said:

. . . I've actually grown to quite like my new name. There's a sense of liberation after being stuck with the same boring old name for years on end. When I look closely into the mirror I seem to detect signs of incipient snottiness. But for those of you who really detest it, feel free to use my real name Peter.

So when I considered the quality of snotface’s writing and the mention of his real name as Peter, it led me quickly to link him with PeterUK.

And I remembered PeterUK either saying, at some point in the past, he was the author or at least, alluding to the fact that he was the author of the collection of short stories entitled, If Truth be Told and other Tales of Thailand. Easy-peasy really.

francois
February 3rd, 2018, 11:21
In the company of Jellybean, Tony and my Thai bf, we ended up at May's Urban Thai last evening.
Regrettably my first choice, Rin Kitchen, was closed and thus onto May's.
As I told my dining companions I won't be back again at May's!
Our appetizers were good however the fish in yellow curry was not to my liking as the curry was not what I expected. Also a dish of crab in yellow curry was even less attractive.
The dining companions did seem to enjoy their chicken dish so that was a plus, for them.
Price with drinks was about 500 TB/person. There are better choices in my opinion.

On the plus side, the restaurant decor was rustic but pleasant and the service and presentation was very good.