PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect change and such like.

arsenal
January 23rd, 2018, 21:32
There's a thread on GB which is well worth a read but I thought I'd start one here. My experience of getting the 'wrong change' in Thailand is rather limited but then I virtually don't drink so I'm not a good example. The coins wedged inside the corner flap is well known as is the 100 less than it should be when paying with a 1000 baht note. If buying petrol make sure the pump is set to zero before the attendant fills up. More of the station's now have pumps where the amount is keyed in before the filling starts.

scottish-guy
January 24th, 2018, 00:27
...pumps where the amount is keyed in before the filling starts...

I've known a few "top" boys more or less like that - and I never got any change from them, correct or otherwise

arsenal
January 24th, 2018, 09:58
They charge more for older vehicles.

NitNoi
January 24th, 2018, 16:13
In over ten years in SE Asia, I have received the wrong change many times - surprisingly, mostly in my favor!

a447
January 24th, 2018, 17:13
I normally don't bother checking bills. I tend to trust people, as I have done all my life. It's the legacy of growing up in a country of very honest people.

On the odd occasion that I have checked, all has been in order. But then again, I don't get roaring drunk - a bit difficult on Coke Zero - so perhaps the temptation to short-change me or inflate the bill is limited.

I find the Thais very honest. On a couple of occasions I've handed over a 1000 baht note in the dark , mistaking it for 100 baht. And the notes have been returned to me, earning the waiters a decent tip for their honestly.

I know, I know.....what about the times I made the same mistake and the money wasn't returned? Or did it only happen a couple of times?

Well, if I'm so careless, then that's my fault.

If I found a place trying to rip me off, I doubt I'd return.

Jellybean
January 24th, 2018, 17:40
Now, for the life of me arsenal, I cannot remember if it was before or after that rather controversial episode of the alleged short change from a go-go bar in Pattaya that I stopped handing over 1,000 Baht notes in the bars.

Every time, and it is usually daily, I go to the supermarket or a 7-ELEVEN in Thailand, I hand over a 1,000 Baht note and therefore tend to build up quite a collection of 100 and 20 Baht notes. I used to, not so much these days as I don’t visit them quite as often, hand over almost the asking price, subject to any well deserved tip, when in a go-go or host bar.

But I don’t think I’ve visited a go-go bar in Bangkok for two or more years, but I still maintain this habit when I visit go-go bars in Pattaya.

And back in the days when I owned a car and I used to fill it up with diesel, I always checked the pump was re-set to zero. And, as with my practice in a go-go or host bar, I handed over, more or less, the correct money with at least a 20 Baht tip for the pump attendant. Sometimes it was more if they offered to check my car’s tyre pressure, check the oil, or clean my car windscreen etc. This is the sort of service you no longer see back in the UK, where it has been self-service for more years than I care to remember,

arsenal
January 24th, 2018, 17:56
And a simple tip. Small notes in the right back pocket and 1000s in the left. A fastening such as a button or press stud also helps.

Smiles
January 24th, 2018, 20:23
" ... to check my car’s tyre pressure ... "
Jelly Bean, you bring tears of joy to my world.

Jellybean
January 25th, 2018, 08:49
And a simple tip. Small notes in the right back pocket and 1000s in the left. A fastening such as a button or press stud also helps.

Yes, I agree, a very good tip, arsenal. When looking to buy shorts or cargo pants for wearing in Thailand, I always look to buy those with zip pockets, or failing that, button or press stud pockets. I keep my 1,000 and 500 Baht notes in the zip pocket and my 100 Baht notes in my right-hand side button pocket and my 20 (and to a lesser extent, my 50 Baht notes) in my left-hand side button pocket. As mentioned elsewhere, I have eyesight problems, which are exacerbated in the usually poor light conditions of bars, so the above system works very well for me.

Last year, while back in the UK, my favourite khaki cargo pants developed a rip below the knee. They were my favourite because they had four leg pockets, two of which had zip pockets, besides the usual two hand pockets. I tried shopping to find a replacement in two high street stores and online, but to no avail. I therefore took the ripped cargo pants to a local tailor, who very kindly turned them into shorts for the reasonable price of £10 (the equivalent of 448 Baht).

Jelly Bean, you bring tears of joy to my world.

Great! I am glad to read that, Smiles. It’s always better to bring tears of joy than tears of sadness. But I don’t understand why my post elicited such an emotion.

arsenal
January 25th, 2018, 08:59
Jellybean. It is one of life's sad truisms that a much loved and well used item such as a pair of cargo shorts, sunglasses, trainers, belt bag etc is almost impossible to replace with something one loves as much, once it's time is up.

cdnmatt
January 25th, 2018, 09:39
Just be glad you guys aren't blind.

Then incorrect change becomes a real fun problem.

frequent
January 25th, 2018, 10:11
Jellybean. It is one of life's sad truisms that a much loved and well used item such as a pair of cargo shorts, sunglasses, trainers, belt bag etc is almost impossible to replace with something one loves as much, once it's time is up.As someone who owns none of those (and never has) ...

frequent
January 25th, 2018, 10:17
Just be glad you guys aren't blind. Then incorrect change becomes a real fun problem.Perhaps you could become a lottery ticket vendor in Bangkok. They seem to survive those sorts of issues

Smiles
January 25th, 2018, 10:20
" ... I don’t understand why my post elicited such an emotion."
Years ago my parents moved from Australia to Canada, dragging us kids behind them. I was about 8 yrs old, but to this day I can easily remember snippets of my life in an Australian kindergarten as well as some time in the first few grades in regular school. My Dad (now gone) often sat down with me doing my homework time, he was like that. Of course, during spelling lessons, he wrote "tire" as "tyre" ... the proper english way.
Strange to remember that, eh? But I do.

(Along comes Arsenal to demerit me for "off topic". Just another 3.)

Jellybean
January 25th, 2018, 11:36
Thank you for providing such a detailed, personal and lovely reply, providing an insight into an early period in your life Smiles. I can see that I am not the only member to have ‘liked’ it.

frequent
January 25th, 2018, 11:55
My maternal grandfather ran off with another woman and took the sons (but not the daughters) with him. Subsequently he decided he was bored by the older son, packed him off to some residential course and moved house (no forwarding address) while the son (aged 14) was away

a447
January 25th, 2018, 12:41
Last year, while back in the UK, my favourite khaki cargo pants developed a rip below the knee...... I tried shopping to find a replacement in two high street stores and online, but to no avail. I therefore took the ripped cargo pants to a local tailor, who very kindly turned them into shorts for the reasonable price of £10 (the equivalent of 448 Baht).

You should have kept them. You'd be looking very fashionable indeed.

These days the more rips and tears, the more people seem willing to pay.

pennyboy
January 25th, 2018, 14:38
When I used to visit Phuket I would use the prepaid taxi at the airport to go to Patong. The fare was 600 bt and I usually paid with 1000bt note and every time I received 300 bt change with my receipt. I had been forewarned of this scam and would just stand there with my hand held out and would receive the other 100bt without even a glance at me. This was before I discovered meter taxis were available.

scottish-guy
January 25th, 2018, 14:44
Indeed a447- I am always being dragged round shops by my other half to be shown some pair of jeans which appear to be held together at the knees and elsewhere only by bare threads.

I hesitate to comment on "fashion" as I'd wear a bin bag if it was comfortable - but I cannot see how wearing that sort of "fashion" clothing with the result that the wind is whistling up your Kyber Pass in the depths of winter can even fulfil that criterion.

Young 'uns eh - who'd have 'em?

:p

joe552
January 25th, 2018, 15:09
Who'd have 'em? Most of us, I think, SG

Nirish guy
January 25th, 2018, 15:35
Jellybean. It is one of life's sad truisms that a much loved and well used item such as a pair of cargo shorts, sunglasses, trainers, belt bag etc is almost impossible to replace with something one loves as much, once it's time is up.

And yet that seems to be very much a "Man" thing as women don't seem to share our joy in finding something and loving it and holding on to it dearly until it literally falls apart and even then we revert to duct tape and staples and just about any holding together device known to man just to get a few last weeks or months out of the thing. Then once it goes and we have to replace it we begrudgingly buy a replacement, but of course HATE it and it's NEVER as good as the old thing - until about 6 weeks later when it starts to grow on us and the cycle then simply repeats until the next time. And yes women find this quite strange about mens behaviour apparently - you'd think they'd find it endearing and a sign that we'd want to hold on to them too in such a manner - but alas with most men that rarely turns out to be true and we'd rather keep our favourite wallet over a woman ANYDAY - and I'm guessing that even applies to most of our straight male friends too ! :-)

arsenal
January 25th, 2018, 15:45
My first belt bag lasted about 18 years. Replaced last year and the stitching on the new one is already starting to go.

Jellybean
January 25th, 2018, 16:45
You should have kept them. You'd be looking very fashionable indeed.

These days the more rips and tears, the more people seem willing to pay.

Aye . . . perhaps 50 years ago a447, but today? You’ve met me, so you’ll understand when I say I would probably look like a down on his uppers, lo-so, fa-ràng tramp if I walked around in ripped cargo pants these days . . . 555!

Rolling Stone
January 25th, 2018, 17:48
When holidaying in Thailand most nights I was quite tipsy. I could not recall that I was short changed and I was handing over (still doing now) 1000 baht notes quite often as I need to keep 100 baht notes for tipping now and then.

I did get stolen on a few occassions (one instance 100% affirmative as the hotel security had stepped in; a few other instances while I was very sure but others could argue non-conclusive).

I do however tend to overtip quite often but if I could afford at that particular point in time I am happy.

colmx
January 26th, 2018, 02:13
My first belt bag lasted about 18 years. Replaced last year and the stitching on the new one is already starting to go.
What is a belt bag? Is that the English equivalent of an Americans Fanny pack?

arsenal
January 26th, 2018, 10:02
Colmx. Yes. A smallish pouch that clips around your waist. Very useful and most of them have several pockets including one at the back that is impossible to open without actually taking it off. Good for large denominations or a wallet. During a journey I carry everything in there that I would need if something happened. Cash, credit card, passport, flight confirmation etc.

Nathan B
April 8th, 2018, 21:30
Many years ago in a now defunct Patong go-go I was given change for 500 when I'd paid with a 1000. I made a big fuss about it, but the waiter denied it and of course couldn't back down without losing face. I never went in there again. Since then, if I have to pay a bill of less than 500 with a 1000 note in a bar, I say '1000' to the waiter and make sure he understands I know what I've given him.

I naively fell for the same trick on my first ever trip to Bangkok about 20 years ago, paying a taxi fare of less than 100 with a 1000. As my destination was an upmarket hotel, I enlisted the help of the doorman who called the police. They swiftly arrived on a motocy, but ultimately nothing could be done because I couldn't state the serial number of the note. I chalked that one up to experience.

Most recently it happened to me about 3 months at a western branded supermarket in Pattaya. The checkout operator was a young lad. He didn't try to argue and I quickly got my change, but I didn't think it was accidental.

Blacktouch
April 8th, 2018, 22:02
[Since then, if I have to pay a bill of less than 500 with a 1000 note in a bar, I say '1000' to the waiter and make sure he understands I know what I've given him.]

I do the same. It makes life so much easier. I always state the big not to the person and look them in the eye. Trust me it works. Also makes you know your not going mad and question yourself if you made a mistake! Too many crooks out there.

And if I have been given too much change, I will own up and let them know. It works both ways.

Blacktouch
April 8th, 2018, 22:04
[Since then, if I have to pay a bill of less than 500 with a 1000 note in a bar, I say '1000' to the waiter and make sure he understands I know what I've given him.]

I do the same. It makes life so much easier. I always state the big not to the person and look them in the eye. Trust me it works. Also makes you know your not going mad and question yourself if you made a mistake! Too many crooks out there.

And if I have been given too much change, I will own up and let them know. It works both ways.

Sorry above quote from Nathan B

christianpfc
April 9th, 2018, 19:35
In 2010 (?), a Thai friend took me to a gay disco (ICK in Ramkhamhaeng Soi 89/2, my first visit there, many more would follow over the years). I had run out of small money, so I paid for a coke with a 1000 THB note, and waited for change, and waited, and waited. My friend disappeared (days later contact was re-established, he said he was drunk and went home). At closing time, I asked staff where my friend is and where my change is. At that time I spoke no Thai, and I didn't even remember whom I gave the 1000 THB note, so everything was lost.

Only now, 8 years later, do I suddenly see a connection between me refusing to lend my friend 5000 THB for his rent, and his disappearance, and lack of change!

I will say it again: in places that are dimly lit or where you would have to wait for change always pay correct amount. At 7-Eleven counter and similar pay with 1000 THB notes.

Blacktouch
April 9th, 2018, 19:50
I will say it again: in places that are dimly lit or where you would have to wait for change always pay correct amount. At 7-Eleven counter and similar pay with 1000 THB notes.[/QUOTE]

You are so damn right.

When in Thailand I try to change as much 1000 notes in shops like 7-Eleven or restaurants. Then tend to collect loads of 100 notes of which I will use in bars and clubs etc.

So whatever I buy in 7-Eleven, I always pay with a 1000 THB note. They have loads and dont mind. This works well for me. When in the bars and restaurants my friends are surprised by the amount of small notes I have in my wallet and beg me to change some of their larger notes, so they can pay their bill.

jimnbkk
April 9th, 2018, 23:07
I get around the 1000-Baht note problem by getting smaller bills from the ATM. I am not sure if all ATMs do it, but SCB ATMs have a choice of taking 400 or 900 Baht, and if you wish you can take, for example, 2900 Baht out. Very convenient.

francois
April 9th, 2018, 23:56
If I only have a 1000 Baht note, I pay with that and I receive the correct change. No problem. Although sometimes they have to make a run to the 7-11 to get some change.

Blacktouch
April 10th, 2018, 04:54
If I only have a 1000 Baht note, I pay with that and I receive the correct change. No problem. Although sometimes they have to make a run to the 7-11 to get some change.

Lol. Hence the reason I have loads of 1000 Baht notes changed beforehand, so I can pay the bar, stopping them having to go to a 7-11 to get change. It's a win win for all .