PDA

View Full Version : Trusted Jewelry Shops

DrewSpz
January 20th, 2018, 09:07
Hi folks, last request for info, promise!

How about any preferred/ trusted jewelry shops where I might find decent/ quality selection of male rings. Not necessarily wedding/ engagement rings...

Thanks for any thoughts.

francois
January 20th, 2018, 18:23
If gold, then any gold shop.

bkkguy
January 20th, 2018, 18:28
There's a shop in Pattaya called Honest Gems so I suppose they should be high on the list

bkkguy

neddy3
January 21st, 2018, 11:29
Am I correct in believing that all gold shops have to be registered with the government?
Very common for them to show the official gold value rate in their windows.

mahjongguy
January 21st, 2018, 14:42
Since I'm not an expert at evaluating gemstones, and don't have one to assist me, I wouldn't trust any gems on sale in Thailand. Call me a cynic.

If I were looking to just buy something in gold, that's different. I would trust a number of larger, long-established gold shops, but there's one thing you need to know: if you buy jewelry (as opposed to bullion) you won't be able to sell it back to any shop except the one that sold it to you, and even then they will come up with fees or other tricks to ensure you don't get the full buy-back value. This despite the "guarantee" on the receipt.

neddy3
January 21st, 2018, 15:41
Since I'm not an expert at evaluating gemstones, and don't have one to assist me, I wouldn't trust any gems on sale in Thailand. Call me a cynic.

I wouldn't call you a cynic.
I'd call you extremely wise.

neddy3
January 21st, 2018, 15:43

If I were looking to just buy something in gold, that's different. I would trust a number of larger, long-established gold shops, but there's one thing you need to know: if you buy jewelry (as opposed to bullion) you won't be able to sell it back to any shop except the one that sold it to you, and even then they will come up with fees or other tricks to ensure you don't get the full buy-back value. This despite the "guarantee" on the receipt.

That's not my experience.
There are 'manufacturing' fees, but fairly reasonable.

gerefan2
January 21st, 2018, 16:19
There's a shop in Pattaya called Honest Gems so I suppose they should be high on the list

bkkguy

Absolutely not! What’s in a name? Only go with personal recommendations, especially here.

bkkguy
January 21st, 2018, 18:11
Absolutely not! What’s in a name? Only go with personal recommendations, especially here.

I'm shocked that you can't trust business names here! I am worried now - do you think I should I cancel my reservation for the super deluxe room at the Hi-So hotel just up the road?

bkkguy

bkkguy

gerefan2
January 21st, 2018, 20:38
I'm shocked you trust anything here!!! Do you also trust mamasans who say boy do everything?
A true story I went round Thailand last week and booked ordinary rooms. My friends booked super delux. TWICE they got an identical room . So yes chech everything very very carefully

sglad
January 22nd, 2018, 02:24
I'm shocked that you can't trust business names here! I am worried now - do you think I should I cancel my reservation for the super deluxe room at the Hi-So hotel just up the road?

bkkguy

bkkguy

Don't bother, bkkguy. He still doesn't get it. :D

He must have the same EFL teacher as Moses (see frequent's remark in the feedback forum).

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2018, 02:49
Sglad...I’ve no idea at all what you’re saying...if that was aimed at me plain language please.

sglad
January 22nd, 2018, 02:57
Sglad...I’ve no idea at all what you’re saying...if that was aimed at me plain language please.

I think both bkkguy's posts were meant to be taken in jest and with a sense of irony.

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2018, 03:04
Thank you ....I thought I was getting another rollicking, albeit not from a monitor this time!

sglad
January 22nd, 2018, 03:12
Thank you ....I thought I was getting another rollicking, albeit not from a monitor this time!

Nah...no rollicking from me. I don't take this board and myself too seriously! :)

I had to look up rollicking though as I've only understood it as an adjective meaning happy and noisy...learned something new today. ;)

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2018, 16:05
It’s a polite alternative word for a bollocking...at Least it is in my part of little England!

arsenal
January 22nd, 2018, 16:17
Factual innacuracies are likely to be pointed out by all members Gerefan2. At least we agree on the lobster soup at Deli Diner.

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2018, 17:01
It was the Vienna Schnitze, or the chops ...I don’t eat Lobster Soup. Just to be factually accurate.

arsenal
January 22nd, 2018, 17:14
That's the spirit.

francois
January 22nd, 2018, 17:34

bkkguy

Yes, you should.

bkkguy
January 22nd, 2018, 19:17
I think both bkkguy's posts were meant to be taken in jest and with a sense of irony.

I must remember to advice Moses that the markup tags are not working

bkkguy

sglad
January 24th, 2018, 02:03
I must remember to advice Moses that the markup tags are not working

bkkguy

But first you'd have to explain sarcasm to him - good luck with that!

FarangRuMak
January 27th, 2018, 03:21
I wouldn't call you a cynic.
I'd call you extremely wise.
I agree.
Apposit.
Not a cynic but the Opposite.
And by some accounts inside every Cynic is a dissappointed Romantic.

FarangRuMak
January 27th, 2018, 03:32
That's not my experience.
There are 'manufacturing' fees, but fairly reasonable.
I would be interested in your experience re buying gold.
It's something I've always wanted to do but I never got around it because I know so little about the matter and it costs real money which I end up spending anyway with nothing to show for it.
A few questions:
Have you made lost or broken even wth gold over the years?
If you buy only for pleasure or gifts is Thai gold jewelry popular abroad?
Issues at Customs in your country even if you're wearing it as a personal item?
Etc.
Thanks.

frequent
January 27th, 2018, 04:02
I agree.
Apposit.
Not a cynic but the Opposite.
And by some accounts inside every Cynic is a dissappointed Romantic.
Provided you understand the difference between sceptic and cynic. Most people think they are the same

francois
January 27th, 2018, 08:45
A few questions:
Have you made lost or broken even wth gold over the years?
If you buy only for pleasure or gifts is Thai gold jewelry popular abroad?
Issues at Customs in your country even if you're wearing it as a personal item?
Etc.
Thanks.

Never lost money with gold; have broken even and have scored big. This was gold coins not Thai gold jewelry.

Yes, Thai gold jewelry is popular everywhere!

No issue at customs assuming you are wearing small amounts of gold.