PDA

View Full Version : guest house?

July 20th, 2006, 17:54
Hi all, Has anyone stayed at Two Face guest house now it is in the Jomptien Complex. Im thinking about renting their Thai Suit for a few weeks. Do they have safty boxes? Also looking at Hotel Club down on the beach next to Tui's, but they are a lot more exspensive and i dont know if it is worth the extra cost just to stay on the beach. Thanks

July 20th, 2006, 18:22
Hmmm...who else do we know that uses this peculiar spelling of "Jomthien"?

July 20th, 2006, 19:12
They do indeed have safety boxes in the rooms plus decent sized bathrooms, large fourposter style beds, balcony (in some roooms), breakfast table (in some rooms), coffee table and chairs, fridge, kettle, sink, large wardrobe. I have stayed in two rooms facing the open land at the back and found them very quiet. The bar and bar staff are nice and friendly and it is only a matter of minutes walk to the beach. Very reasonably priced.

July 20th, 2006, 19:28
Thanks Fatman41 for the info. It sounds just the place for me.

July 20th, 2006, 21:56
It is quite common to see this spelling. Farangs generally don't use it though. As you know, there is really no such thing as any "correct" spelling for Romanized Thai. It would be great if there were! Some Thai academic ought to push for it.

July 20th, 2006, 22:20
As you know, there is really no such thing as any "correct" spelling for Romanized Thai. It would be great if there were! Some Thai academic ought to push for it.

Much the same for many languages nowadays.

As a prime example you only have to look at what the Americans have done to the English language in both spelling and pronunciation to see how a language can be totally ruined.

:bounce:

July 20th, 2006, 22:28
As you know, there is really no such thing as any "correct" spelling for Romanized Thai. It would be great if there were! Some Thai academic ought to push for it.

Much the same for many languages nowadays.

As a prime example you only have to look at what the Americans have done to the English language in both spelling and pronunciation to see how a language can be totally ruined.

:bounce:
No, that is not the same thing at all!
There is such a thing as correct spelling of American English that does vary from British English.
Check American dictionaries for guidance.
The Thai situation involves the issue of representing a scripted tonal language into Roman characters. The Roman characters do not support the sounds of Thai. The Vietnamese solved it by romanizing their writing. I wish the Thais had too.

allieb
July 20th, 2006, 23:16
Here we have someone asking a genuine question and all boyqueenyus can do is criticize his spelling. Boyqueenyus you must be a very troubled person full of unhappiness

wowpow
July 20th, 2006, 23:57
http://www.thebondipattaya.com/
http://www.poseidon-pattaya.com/
http://www.room-club.com/index.htm
http://www.exxitshow.com/twofaces.htm
http://www.ramakien.com/index.php
http://www.avalonbeachresort.com/

So many loveley places to stay in Jomtien it's hard to decide. They are all good and reasonable value for money as is Tui's

Up to you!

July 21st, 2006, 00:05
Jomthien, Chomthien, Jormthien, Chormthien, etc. would all be recognized spellings. Nowhere, ever, no matter what system or lack-of-system you're using, does a "p" enter into it.

And no, Ali G or whoever you are, I am not troubled. I am a professional Hydra Hunter, trained and cultivated by Her Highness the Uber Guru of All Human Knowledge. When two users who claim to be different people both spell Jomthien with a "p" in the middle, my big toe instinctively starts a twitchin'. I smells me a Hydra!

July 21st, 2006, 04:54
This is probably a stupid question, however....when being taught English in Thailand do they teach the "English" spelling or the US version?

July 21st, 2006, 05:46
To get back on subject ........
I stayed in Two Faces a month ago. I had a room facing the back and was happy with it. It was exceptionally quiet at night. It had a decent bed, a room safe, tea/coffee making facilities, etc. I found the staff very friendly. They do an all day breakfast. No trouble bringing a boy back with you or if you can't be bothered they have 'hosts' on the premises.
It was good value for money. Basic, but good value. If you want more luxury than other places will give you that. Easy walking distance to the beach and easy to get into central Pattaya if that is your wish. If you are feeling lazy then use the decent restaurant next door for your evening meal.

July 21st, 2006, 09:54

Please enlighten us, I do not follow posts so closely as to check the spelling for potential future hydra hunts. Oh, and as you used quotation marks, I assume you would have used the spelling as presented by the original poster 'Jomptien', not as you posted 'Jomthien'.

July 21st, 2006, 10:02
jollyjacktar, April 26, 2006:

"Might give this Hotel a try out somtime. Sounds a better proposition than Boyzzzz town ripo joints. And within 2 minutes walk to Jomptien beach."

Sing Lofty Sing, January 22, 2006:

"Has anyone stayed at the Bondi Hotel in Jomptien? Im thinking of trying it out on my next trip."

Both use the same bizarre and unique spelling, and both in the context of queries regarding guest houses.

You do the math.

July 21st, 2006, 10:05
The plot thickens.

Sexy Lofty Sexy, on September 5, 2004:

"How much would i have to spend on a 3 man tent on the land by Jomptien Beach?, Could i get away with bt 800 a month".

July 22nd, 2006, 02:19
Oh you sad fucker Boy Queen E US. If spending all day checking on spelling and handles on the forum is your highlite, so be it. Your getting as boring as a certain Aussie plonker who posts with multi handles. So bloody what ehhh. Ill post what and who i want. DONT LIKE IT THEN DONT LOOK.
I asked a sensible Question about a Guest house ive never been to and was interessted in. I f that upsets you tough

wowpow
July 22nd, 2006, 07:42
The important thing with writing is to be clearly understood. Spelling and grammar may aid this but are not essential. Most languages are flexible in spelling and in Thailand they seem almost excessive. The usual reason to freeze place names is when transport arrives such as railways, road signs, maps etc. Not so in Thailand. The MRT have changed the generally used Silom to two words Si Lom. If you read the road signs on the route Bangkok Pattaya you will see Phataya spelt several different ways. On one sign Jomtien is Chom Tien. Despite these variations, people seem to get to their destinations.

What was the topic again?

July 22nd, 2006, 12:06
Teepee, Teepee. The question is not how to correctly spell Jomthien, or even if there IS a correct spelling.

The question is whether we should bend over backwards to give advice to a poster who abuses people using one persona ("jolyjacktar"), then turns around and pretends to be all innocence and sweetness when using another ("donny-darko").

I find this type of poster sad and pathetic, and have no intention of giving them any help. If you do, well that's your choice.

July 22nd, 2006, 12:12
It is fair to say that among farangs Jomtien is the most common spelling. However, there is no such thing as correct Romanized spelling for any Thai word. That and 5 bath will get you a bath bus ride!