PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite restaurants in Bangkok?

samebb
January 13th, 2018, 21:39
Need to organize a nice family meal. Looking for something good around Silom/Sathorn. I know about these places. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not interested in *chains* like Sizzler ect.

- Gs (soi 4)
- Spanish On 4
- Smoking Pug
- Mango Tree
- Indigo (french place)

I really don't eat out enough!
Thanks

frequent
January 14th, 2018, 06:16
Need to organize a nice family meal. Looking for something good around Silom/Sathorn. I know about these places. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not interested in *chains* like Sizzler ect.

- Gs (soi 4)
- Spanish On 4
- Smoking Pug
- Mango Tree
- Indigo (french place)

I really don't eat out enough!
Thanks

It depends what you mean by a "nice family meal" - is this family Thai, Western or what? Why anyone bothers with G's beats me. The owner is overly familiar with his regular diners; many of my friends simply refuse to go there any more. There's always Fork & Cork (formerly Sphinx) at the end of the same Soi. It might be worth investigating what's down the other end of Convent Rd opposite BNH; I had lunch at Coffee Club the other day but thought it way too expensive. There are some other restaurants close by that looked interesting; I've eaten at one or two I could recommend but don't recall their names. There's also the large Dean & Deluca next to Chong Nonsi BTS - don't bother with their squalid little shop on Silom. I can recommend the Chong Nonsi one

christianpfc
January 14th, 2018, 17:43
In Silom area I frequent Madrid restaurant in Patpong for their pizza and Sukiya for (don't even know the name, but is Japanese and it has rice, pork and cheese).

bkkguy
January 14th, 2018, 19:32
Smoking Pug has now moved to Lang Suan

I used to like Mango Tree but haven't been for years, it became very touristy and food fairly bland, these days I prefer Ruen Urai behind the Rose Hotel for Thai food (have some good set menus for groups) or Than Ying in a nice converted house in Soi Pramuan off Silom

for Thai seafood Somboon if you don't mind the plastic tables at the Surawong branch (sorry it is a chain, and I think the other branches are a bit more upmarket decor) or even Laem Charoen Seafood in Silom Complex (also a chain!)

if you want to try some great Lebanese and Indian then Al Saray in Silom or for French then Brasserie 9 has now moved from Asiatique to a much more convenient location in Soi Pipat with lots of parking, or for Italian Opus in Soi Pan off SIlom

you didn't specify a budget so some of these may be a bit beyond your idea of a "nice family meal" but it depends on how/what you order - particularly wine/drinks and what ambience you are looking for

bkkguy

Nathan B
January 14th, 2018, 20:46
Pappaya on Sala Deang 2 behind the Silom Complex and Bua restuarant at the north end of Convent near Silom Road are both pretty reliable mid-price Thai restuarants.

If you want to push the boat out:

Celadon is a classical style Thai restuarant within the Sukhothai hotel on South Sathorn. It has a spectacular setting among lotus ponds, tasteful Thai dancing, and great set menus (available on their web site).

Nahm, the famous modern Thai restaurant within the Metropolitan hotel, also on South Sathorn, is also very good and I can recommend the set menu. Again menus are on their web site.

samebb
January 14th, 2018, 21:35
Oh Damn, I totally forgot about Madrid. Their pizza is great and I love the bar interior. Thanks!

BenCH
January 14th, 2018, 22:21
If you want to push the boat out:
Celadon is a classical style Thai restuarant within the Sukhothai hotel on South Sathorn ...
Nahm, the famous modern Thai restaurant within the Metropolitan hotel, also on South Sathorn,

Saffron on 52nd floor at the Banyan Tree Hotel, also on South Sathorn ...
Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin at Kempinski Hotel (rather expensive but spectacular - just got a Michelin star)
Mezzaluna at the Dome (Lebua Hotel) - expensive too, but unbelievably tasty menu! Just got 2 Michelin stars
Erawan Tea Room at Hyatt Erawan - modest or normal prices, but yummy Thai food

So much more if you don't mind the trip and the prices ...

Oliver
January 14th, 2018, 23:46
Like Nathan B, I recommend for Bua. I've had my first Thai meal there on arrival for the past fifteen years and appreciate its reliable quality. Not for fine dining though. And well-placed for my next stop, Balcony, for my first Singha of the trip.

FarangRuMak
January 15th, 2018, 05:05
Alas the Mexican Bar on Silom×Patpong corner is closed down and replaced by a bland something or other.
It served 'Mexican' food, some Mexican beer, was tacky, never gave a 'checkbin' until the end, had a Philipino singing Latin songs, a few handsome/straight/slightly edgy barmen, more katoi waiters than you would expect and a row with one table or another over the bill was inevitable.
I miss it.
Old Bangkok is dying fast.

Josan
January 16th, 2018, 00:12
Some really great suggestions! Thanks fellows!

kittyboy
January 16th, 2018, 04:23
Street food with a handsome thai guy. That is always my favorite restaurant in BKK.

Nirish guy
January 16th, 2018, 04:48
- Indigo (french place)

This has been covered before on the board so I won't go into it all again, feel free to do a search if you - but I couldn't let it pass without commenting that the owner of Indigo ( assuming it's the same guy as the time of my post a few years back now perhaps) is a homophobic cunt and no gay man should grace his premises with their presence not less give him their money - IMHO ( and others)

samebb
January 16th, 2018, 12:33
This has been covered before on the board so I won't go into it all again, feel free to do a search if you - but I couldn't let it pass without commenting that the owner of Indigo ( assuming it's the same guy as the time of my post a few years back now perhaps) is a homophobic cunt and no gay man should grace his premises with their presence not less give him their money - IMHO ( and others)

Thanks.
Yeah, I am aware of it. I know a person who was once on the receiving end of that.
I would never go there, only listed it so as not to have it recommended by anyone else.
I for one haven't and wouldn't eat there.

frequent
January 16th, 2018, 13:31
Street food with a handsome thai guy. That is always my favorite restaurant in BKK.Not sure that any of that meets the OP's requirements. However I'm more interested in what happens to you and the handsome Thai guy. Do you gobble down his lunch afterwards? Does he peel your banana?

kittyboy
January 16th, 2018, 22:03
Not sure that any of that meets the OP's requirements. However I'm more interested in what happens to you and the handsome Thai guy. Do you gobble down his lunch afterwards? Does he peel your banana?

Ah..This is a free form forum so there are no "OP's requirements" - you sounds like you want to be the self-appointed board monitor making sure people post to your standard. You can try but I suspect few very of the posters will be good boys and do as you say.

As I stated, my favorite restaurants are street food restaurants that I go to with the Thai guy I see when I am in BKK. He lives in the Sathorn area and it is always great fun and good food going out with him. He orders and I try lots of dishes that I never would have tried before..and the street happenings are always fun to watch.

samebb
January 16th, 2018, 22:14
Ah..This is a free form forum so there are no "OP's requirements" - you sounds like you want to be the self-appointed board monitor making sure people post to your standard. You can try but I suspect few very of the posters will be good boys and do as you say.

As I stated, my favorite restaurants are street food restaurants that I go to with the Thai guy I see when I am in BKK. He lives in the Sathorn area and it is always great fun and good food going out with him. He orders and I try lots of dishes that I never would have tried before..and the street happenings are always fun to watch.

So pretty much an average weekday year round for some of us ?

kittyboy
January 16th, 2018, 22:50
So pretty much an average weekday year round for some of us ?

LOL..My dining out nights are pretty average. I like good food but I can not be bothered to find a posh nosh.

So yes my favorite restaurant is pretty much an average weekday excursion.

frequent
January 17th, 2018, 10:15

As I stated, my favorite restaurants are street food restaurants that I go to with the Thai guy I see when I am in BKK. He lives in the Sathorn area and it is always great fun and good food going out with him. He orders and I try lots of dishes that I never would have tried before..and the street happenings are always fun to watch.Perhaps your school boy failures at Comprehension 101 have remained with you. If you read the starting post in the thread you will see the OP’s requirements - “recommendation for a restaurant for a nice family meal” clearly spelt out

kittyboy
January 17th, 2018, 11:09
Perhaps your school boy failures at Comprehension 101 have remained with you. If you read the starting post in the thread you will see the OP’s requirements - “recommendation for a restaurant for a nice family meal” clearly spelt out

Those posers with a flexible mind realize that there are no "OP requirements". As a free form forum individuals are free to post as they wish. You may wish to demand adherence to your imaginary requirements. Demand away but posters are free to ignore your demands. Your school boy insistence and demands are amusing.

frequent
January 17th, 2018, 11:15
Those posers with a flexible mind realize that there are no "OP requirements". As a free form forum individuals are free to post as they wish. You may wish to demand adherence to your imaginary requirements. Demand away but posters are free to ignore your demands. Your school boy insistence and demands are amusing.So in your perverse world the phrase "can anyone recommend ... " is not setting out a requirement ie. a need. What are you? An American?

samebb
January 17th, 2018, 14:03
LOL..My dining out nights are pretty average. I like good food but I can not be bothered to find a posh nosh.

So yes my favorite restaurant is pretty much an average weekday excursion.

I was referring to some Thai street food with a handsome Thai boy. Average daily event.

kittyboy
January 17th, 2018, 21:40
I was referring to some Thai street food with a handsome Thai boy. Average daily event.

I sometime post from my phone..so fat fingers and small keypad limits my postings.
My favorite restaurant is exactly as you describe it...Thai street food with a handsome Thai boy. As I mentioned I have a thai friend I have been seeing for years. He lives in the Sathorn area and when we meet up he takes me out for street food. He does the ordering and I eat whatever he likes or thinks I would like. Sitting outside on a stool at picnic table is not for everyone, however the food is always good and I enjoy social aspect of going out with my friend and seeing the street life.
I was in BKK this past summer and that was my style of eating for 2 weeks.

kittyboy
January 17th, 2018, 21:44
So in your perverse world the phrase "can anyone recommend ... " is not setting out a requirement ie. a need. What are you? An American?

It was a request..but a mind that tends toward simple absolutes would have a problem with my post.
LOL..(sarcasm alert) trying to insult me by calling me an American!! Oh..no! Of course if you had looked at my profile you would know that answer to your rhetorical question.
Shall we trade school boy taunts? Nah Nah..Where are you from twat? Oh I did not know twat was a country..Nah Nah.

FarangRuMak
January 17th, 2018, 23:22
I sometime post from my phone..so fat fingers and small keypad limits my postings.
My favorite restaurant is exactly as you describe it...Thai street food with a handsome Thai boy. As I mentioned I have a thai friend I have been seeing for years. He lives in the Sathorn area and when we meet up he takes me out for street food. He does the ordering and I eat whatever he likes or thinks I would like. Sitting outside on a stool at picnic table is not for everyone, however the food is always good and I enjoy social aspect of going out with my friend and seeing the street life.
I was in BKK this past summer and that was my style of eating for 2 weeks.
I love the St food also.
I get a kick out of eating an 80 baht dish outside the Irish bar on Convent Rd which is often more delicious than what's served inside.
However 1 caveat; the washing of dishes in cold water worries me.
Think of the mouth ulcer viruses etc that survive such washing and might get passed on.

a447
January 18th, 2018, 07:12
Seeing how they "wash" the dishes put me off street food forever.

The water is filthy, seemingly never having been changed during the day.

samebb
January 18th, 2018, 11:15
I love the St food also.
I get a kick out of eating an 80 baht dish outside the Irish bar on Convent Rd which is often more delicious than what's served inside.
However 1 caveat; the washing of dishes in cold water worries me.
Think of the mouth ulcer viruses etc that survive such washing and might get passed on.

Lived on street food regularly for over a year in Bangkok. Never got sick. Maybe luck, I dunno.

kittyboy
January 18th, 2018, 20:16
Lived on street food regularly for over a year in Bangkok. Never got sick. Maybe luck, I dunno.

Gentlemen..you are putting me right off my street food habit.

FarangRuMak
January 18th, 2018, 22:09
I've been lucky so far too; not killed by traffic yet, no serious stds yet, not electricuted in a hotel shower yet, not killed by a falling coconut yet, not fallen down an uncovered manhole yet,
I live in hope.

christianpfc
January 19th, 2018, 10:11
Seeing how they "wash" the dishes put me off street food forever.

The water is filthy, seemingly never having been changed during the day.
At the end of the washing process, the plates are rinsed with fresh water.

a447
January 19th, 2018, 12:15
That's not what I saw in Silom.

neddy3
January 19th, 2018, 12:24
I'm sure that it varies from premises to premises.
Certainly true that the standard of washing up is well below the Western standards.
It does make me wary.