PDA

View Full Version : Cuisine au Beurre.

arsenal
January 12th, 2018, 00:18
Cuisine au Beurre have upped their game, at least the menu is far more inviting and closer in quality to their two main rivals a few doors down. Execution requires a tweak here and there.

The avocado and prawn salad was good quality but ridiculously small and looked a little silly on the plate. Three small slices of avocado and three average sized prawns with two tears of leaves and a couple of drops of sauce Marie Rose. The duck was nicely cooked to medium rare with a good flavour and especially tender. However the orange sauce was overly sweet and thin in consistency. Presentation was lovely and the fries were fresh and crisp. Fresh fruit salad was fine, the fruit being dressed in a pomegranate syrup. With coffee and water the bill was 440 baht including too.

scottish-guy
January 12th, 2018, 01:24
Duck A' L'Orange with Chips?

Did you put tomato sauce on it and wash it down with half a pint of bitter?

arsenal
January 12th, 2018, 07:05
For Gorbals.

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/334176/slow-cooked-duck-with-duck-fat-chips-and-gravy-by-tom-kerridge

francois
January 12th, 2018, 11:30
A slight correction to title of this post:

Cuisine au Beurre. (Butter)

frequent
January 12th, 2018, 11:49
The rape scene in the film Last Tango in Paris featured a novel use of beurre

Oliver
January 12th, 2018, 14:26
Amazing prices...how does it compare to Le Petit Planet (or whatever)? it's the only one I've tried in Soi Day/Night. and I'm always impressed.

arsenal
January 12th, 2018, 14:30
3 courses.
CoB. 360 baht. (includes coffee or tea)
PP. 320 baht.
DD. 299 baht.

FarangRuMak
January 13th, 2018, 00:53
Excellent value in all three.
How they make a profit beats me.
I remember the French Chef in Petite Planet who left his legacy to his Thai wife, I think.
She stuck doggedly to his formulae as only Thais can do and did a good standard of copy french cuisine.
A new place has opened nearby and they do a good parody on the copy french cuisine of PP but offer great value nontheless.
Cuisine au Buerre is a distinct species.

dinagam
January 13th, 2018, 07:34
Apparently no one is paying attention to francois.

poshglasgow
January 13th, 2018, 07:43
It is in this restaurant where, on Christmas night, I was going to sit down, until a ten-year-old girl approached me with a menu and order pad and hovered at the table as I was settling into my seat. I had a change of heart, departed, and headed for Le Bordeaux!! All is explained in the thread: "Just back from Pattaya".

pennyboy
January 13th, 2018, 16:57
I think that is more likely to be Deli Diner

arsenal
January 13th, 2018, 18:30
Just noticed the Buerre/Better error. Predictive text is entirely to blame. I agree with a general dislike of children working in 'family run' restaurants.

christianpfc
January 13th, 2018, 19:03
Fixed the typo in the headline.

francois
January 14th, 2018, 10:57
I think that is more likely to be Deli Diner

Agree with you pennyboy, typical of Deli Diner, at least when it first opened.

arsenal
January 14th, 2018, 18:00
The duck at CoB.

gerefan2
January 14th, 2018, 21:48
What did you have for the main course ?

dinagam
January 15th, 2018, 14:00
That's nouvelle cuisine in its true presentation. Good for the waistline.

Brad the Impala
January 15th, 2018, 14:27
Especially the chips!

newalaan2
January 17th, 2018, 22:55
Just noticed the Buerre/Better error. Predictive text is entirely to blame. I agree with a general dislike of children working in 'family run' restaurants.

Agree with you pennyboy, typical of Deli Diner, at least when it first opened.

Thanks for the restaurant and bar reviews from your current trip thus far Arsenal, updates always appreciated prior to an upcoming trip which I have at the end of January.

Having children take the order without supervision I think does put off some customers and I'm not sure if restaurant owners realise this, it's often a problem with thais and their children as parents seem to give quite a bit more leeway to kids in Thailand than the west. Bf makes a big fuss of having the snack and sweet racks looking good in his shop because the kids tend to have the say where they buy snacks, the adults just follow suit and buy their more expensive items there too, so bf reckons the kids are the ones he needs to attract.

At Deli Diner it doesn't bother me that much as the older girl, from memory, has decent English and has never got an order wrong so far (especially with the excellent point-at-the-menu-item method!) even now knows my usual coffee order, and will ask first if I want my usual or if I want the menu when I sit down. She takes orders rarely and sometimes I have seen the main waitress go check with a customer after the girl takes the order to make sure it's correct or advise something, so i'm not quite sure why they let the kid do it in the first place.

To be honest I find very little difference in quality, price or service between Au Beurre, Petite and Deli they all produce tasty, reasonably priced dishes but favour Deli for the coffee, their occasional British Special (i.e.Cottage Pie etc ) when I tire of the sticky rice menu back in the room and the option to itemise your own breakfast (as, like suggest by another poster find the Full English far too much for my needs). Also I've never had a complaint to make in all the times I have used them, in fact I can't think of an occasion where the meal hasn't been first class so if a table on the front section is available will always go to Deli first.

a447
January 18th, 2018, 07:20
Having children take the order without supervision I think does put off some customers and I'm not sure if restaurant owners realise this, it's often a problem with thais and their children as parents seem to give quite a bit more leeway to kids in Thailand than the west.

Perhaps it's an Asian thing, as in the various Asian restaurants here you'll often their kids taking orders.

Why aren't they at school, I wonder.

sglad
January 19th, 2018, 13:04

Meatloaf.

Smiles
January 19th, 2018, 13:20
That duck thing on that ghastly bluish plate looks positively proletarian. 440 baht? Say no more.
If you really MUST eat in Pattaya and environs, for god sake get thee to the heavenly 'Cafe Des Amis' for an exqisite meal, although the tiramisu left me wanting, for the price.
Better yet, slide down to Whore Hin for haute couture .... oops, I mean cuisine.

sglad
January 19th, 2018, 13:34
...She takes orders rarely and sometimes I have seen the main waitress go check with a customer after the girl takes the order to make sure it's correct or advise something, so i'm not quite sure why they let the kid do it in the first place.

The presence of a family member tends to keep staff on their toes. Kids are observant and will report back to parents what they see especially if they've been instructed/trained by their parents to keep an eye on things. When she's big enough she'll be put in charge of the cash register if she hasn't already. This is quite common in Chinese and other Asian businesses. The minions do the work under our tight supervision and we watch them like a hawk. The till and accounting we manage ourselves. It's about trust - family comes first. Very different from farang businesses. They spend a huge fortune starting a business, with much fanfare and spectacle, then leave it in the hands of some inexperienced buffoon or ex hoe and then go out whoring themselves. Business collapses, they get bitter and then blame the Thais for everything.

Another reason is training. The girl is being trained to take over during a future emergency. It builds discipline and communication skills. It gives her a sense of ownership in the family business. When you feel you have a part in something you will take greater care of it. We used to work/hang out at my grandparents' food and noodle shop after school and during school holidays. I learned a lot and it beat staying at home alone, with both my parents working full time.

Jellybean
January 19th, 2018, 17:11
Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2

Meatloaf.

You may be surprised to learn sglad, that during a visit to Pattaya last year, while I was staying at the Avani Hotel & Spa and lying on my bed, reading a book and sipping a glass of wine, I spotted an envelope being pushed under my bedroom door. Inside the envelope was an unsolicited gold embossed invitation from the Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club addressed to J Bean Esquire and inviting me to dinner at the Ting Tong Red Bar the following evening.

Dress code was said to be: Smart casual, but no shorts or flip-flops to be worn. It also said a motorcycle taxi would be waiting for me outside my hotel at 19:00 hours the next evening. And, it ended with a rather worrying warning – No riff-raff allowed. Oh my, I thought, would I really pass muster? But I thought, what the hell, in for a penny in for a pound and decided to accept the invitation. I therefore decided to put on a clean pair of pants and give my shoes a polish and hoped this would be sufficient to pass inspection by the eagle eyed club invitation secretary.

Honestly though, I can report that it was a thoroughly pleasant evening with around twenty invitees in attendance. Meatloaf isn’t part of my usual diet while in Thailand, but it was a pleasant change from my normal cuisine. But I must confess it was the company of my fellow invitees which really made the evening for me.

Now, I cannot recall being asked to roll the leg of my trousers up, bare my breast and swear on the bible not to reveal the history of my invitation. So I sincerely hope I have not inadvertently disclosed anything of a secret nature. When next I find myself in Pattaya, I certainly would not like to wake up to find a horse’s head in my bed as a punishment for any perceived indiscretion on my part. [Gulp!] :bo:

francois
January 19th, 2018, 21:57
Jellybean, You may have revealed too much detail regarding membership in the Meatloaf Club. Mum's the word !

sglad
January 22nd, 2018, 02:46
Honestly though, I can report that it was a thoroughly pleasant evening with around twenty invitees in attendance. Meatloaf isn’t part of my usual diet while in Thailand, but it was a pleasant change from my normal cuisine. But I must confess it was the company of my fellow invitees which really made the evening for me.

And that's all that counts, JB! Great post. :)

I don't know why but I'm so tickled by this whole meatloaf thing. These Pattayans take their cheap food so seriously. :D

francois
January 22nd, 2018, 17:53
I don't know why but I'm so tickled by this whole meatloaf thing. These Pattayans take their cheap food so seriously. :D

The food is inexpensive, not cheap. :)

colmx
January 23rd, 2018, 01:08
I almost walked into CAB and PP on the last day of my trip... however I didn't like the look of anything on their blackboards and we ended up in Alt Heidelberg near BT instead

Are the blackboards just specials and do they both have full menus to choose from?

gerefan2
January 23rd, 2018, 02:19
Are the blackboards just specials and do they both have full menus to choose from?

Yes have both.

francois
January 23rd, 2018, 11:15
I almost walked into CAB and PP on the last day of my trip... however I didn't like the look of anything on their blackboards and we ended up in Alt Heidelberg near BT instead

Is there more than one Alt Heidelberg? The one I am familiar with is quite some distance from Boyztown (BT) on Jomtien Second Rd.

neddy3
January 23rd, 2018, 11:21
I assumed that colmx was referring to a restaurant on Beach Road, close to the Walking Street corner.

colmx
January 23rd, 2018, 14:17
I assumed that colmx was referring to a restaurant on Beach Road, close to the Walking Street corner.

Yes that's the one, "near BT" was probably a bad description. But it's kinda near it!

arsenal
January 23rd, 2018, 14:45
The restaurant in the old Day Night Hotel used to offer about 12 different schnitzel, all under 200 baht and all huge. Sadly gone now.