PDA

View Full Version : Transport in Phuket

Dalewood
January 6th, 2018, 04:09
What is the latest on the taxi Mafia in Phuket? I have heard all kinds of stories online for better and worse. I have also heard that there is a regular bus between airport and Patong. My friend wants to go during my next visit. I have not been in thirty years, so why not?

Brad the Impala
January 6th, 2018, 05:03
Rent a car at the airport, there is so much more of Phuket to see than just Patong. 99 Cars are a good local company, or I have had good service from the local Avis also.

christianpfc
January 6th, 2018, 10:58
And then you are faced with the problem of finding parking!

Oliver
January 6th, 2018, 15:07
We stayed in Patong in June and were shocked to find that the local busses had a fixed charge of 200 bht which included even the shortest trips. On the other hand, the taxis outside our hotel , which was situated next to the beach in the quieter, northern part of Patong, were well-priced . We got to a know a decent driver who treated us well. He charged 900 for the airport trip and the same amount for our other day trips..

newalaan2
January 6th, 2018, 22:47
And then you are faced with the problem of finding parking!

Dalewood, do either of you drive? If you are comfortable with driving in Thailand, as Brad says, car rental is the way to go. Pick up and deposit car at airport, no need for taxi to hotel and back, that's some of the rental cost already covered. Smaller cars like the Honda Jazz are ideal for Phuket as many of the roads are suited to smaller vehicles. Cars of this size are available for around Bt1000-Bt1200 per day and encourage you to get out of Patong and have a look round the Island.

Christianpfc's comment is only applicable to central Patong, in all other areas of Phuket we found there were plenty of places to park, even around the outskirts of Patong. Even then Patong parking problem can be overcome by choosing a hotel with parking as we did in October. The hotel we stayed in was very central just up from Paradise Complex and as everywhere in Patong is walkable no need to be looking for parking while there. So if staying in Patong, choose well with your hotel and Christian's parking problem does not need to be 'faced'.

Sorry cannot comment about tuk-tuks and motocy in Patong as we walked everywhere, but the constant pushing of their services as you go around Patong gets very tiresome. We had returned to Phuket after a few years away and thoroughly enjoyed our few days break there.

Oliver
January 7th, 2018, 15:22
I've enjoyed driving all over Thailand from Koh Samui and Krabi to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and have never had any problems. Now I have one, my boyfriend, who no longer wants me to rent, even though he's a competent driver and can share the driving. For him, the issue is the difficulties that could arise from even a minor accident or dispute, despite my insistence on extra insurance and the use of international companies like Budget. I think he's over-reacting but I have to accept that he has better knowledge of the country than me and so now I pay for taxis. To be fair, the prices are usually good; I never have to pay more than 1000 for a four or five hour trip. That's only a little more than a day's rent.

Dalewood
January 7th, 2018, 17:38
Good points raised by all. I just do not know if I will be driving enough to make a rental worthwhile. I will certainly not be driving after 7:00 PM :-)
I have driven in Japan, so I am not worried about traffic or driving on the left-side (which IS something to get used to). I think my friend can drive, but we never discussed it---I would not rent a car in Pattaya at gunpoint.

searcher
January 8th, 2018, 00:29
Are sundbeds and umbrellas to protect against the sun still forbidden on the beach or has this policy changed? Sorry for being off the topic but I did not want to start an own thread about this

Atto
November 19th, 2018, 07:38
What is the latest on the taxi Mafia in Phuket? I have heard all kinds of stories online for better and worse. I have also heard that there is a regular bus between airport and Patong. My friend wants to go during my next visit. I have not been in thirty years, so why not?

We are in Phuket this week. There’s an Airport Smartbus Phuket that goes from Phuket Airport to Patong to Karon to Kata to Rawai. The cost is 150 baht per person but you’ll need to get a rabbit card (300 baht with $200 value). You can always top off at various places. The travel by this bus between Patong and Karon and Kata is only 50 Baht each way, way cheaper than the taxi between the beaches which is 400 - 500 baht.

Drop off if at in front of mall from airport and to airport in at the police station. And it’s air conditioned and roomy - way better than the van (which is 200 baht per person and crammed like sardines.

PS. Rabbit card is also usable at air train in Bangkok according to website.

sglad
November 19th, 2018, 08:22
Grabcar is also available in Phuket. How are the rates? In Bangkok we found them more expensive than metered taxis.

Mancs
November 20th, 2018, 02:26
In Patong I found renting a car with driver for the day very reasonably priced and avoids anxiety about little accidents. A hotel or the nearest travel agent will have contacts for this.

speedoo1
November 24th, 2018, 03:36
Grabcar is also available in Phuket. How are the rates? In Bangkok we found them more expensive than metered taxis.

Fixed rates around the same as charged by local taxi mafia. From Patong to Phuket Town around 500 B. To airport around 800 B.

This has nothing to do with metered rates I'm afraid.

dinagam
November 24th, 2018, 18:20
If you're planning to go to Phuket town with the sole purpose of visiting on a day trip, the local bus passing by the beach road is worth a try, at 30b only one way. Depending on the time of day you may find a seat for the 30 minutes journey. For connections to other beaches there are songtheows at the local market that are available during the day.