PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones

joe552
January 3rd, 2018, 02:09
When mobile phones first became popular back in the day, I always said they were unnecessary and for poseurs. Of course, eventually I had to give in, and was given an old Nokia by a friend who was upgrading.

Now here we are with smartphones. I can see the benefits of basically having your laptop in your pocket (or handbag). The cost puts me off, considering the amount I would use it. So how long do you think I can resist? I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't have one.

bkkguy
January 3rd, 2018, 17:38
if you are not a power user demanding the top speed and huge memory of the flagship models then there are many OK mobile phones available in Bangkok for less than 10,000 Baht, indeed even some less than 5,000 Baht - some of the models may not be available back home and may not have international warranty but should support your home networks - but check to make sure

bkkguy

joe552
January 3rd, 2018, 18:00
Thanks, bkkguy,, but I'm not yet tempted to buy one.

samebb
January 3rd, 2018, 18:19
If you don't need one, don't get one. I hate mine but it has become a tool I need.
I only started using one 4 years ago when I started traveling. It became a must-have tool for work and also moving around in new places.
Prior to that in the UK, I HAD one (we had a business contract with Apple for employee handsets). It was a total waste of money as mine was a glorified alarm clock and spent weeks sitting on my bed stand.

The trend of people living on these smartphones, spending hours a day on social media is, in my view, unhealthy. Despite spending a lot of time on computers myself, that is for working.

I know that when I leave the house, the phone spends 95% of the time in my pocket. Only used really to pick up important messages, look at google maps or grab an UBER/Grab.

As for expense, they can be very cheap in Bangkok. Entry level Samsungs (which are very good) start at 6,000 Baht. I believe it's the A5? I bought a boy one, he loved it. The Oppo's and Vivo's are also cheap and very good android devices.

I myself got sucked into the whole commercial "Top of the line" shit. In the last 20 or so months I have had 1 Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge stolen, and one blow up while sitting in HotMale! Insurance is a life-saver.

frequent
January 3rd, 2018, 20:12
If you don't need one, don't get one. I hate mine but it has become a tool I need.
I only started using one 4 years ago when I started traveling. It became a must-have tool for work and also moving around in new places.
Prior to that in the UK, I HAD one (we had a business contract with Apple for employee handsets). It was a total waste of money as mine was a glorified alarm clock and spent weeks sitting on my bed stand.As a general rule (and SameBareBack is a clear example) most smartphones are used by really dumb people who, frankly, have no idea how they can use their phone to increase their effectiveness in their personal life and their productivity at work

Nirish guy
January 4th, 2018, 01:54
THat must be a VERY general rule as with the exception of my 80 something year old mother everyone I know absolutely uses their phones for 100 and 1 different things that ( its felt) enhances their lives. Hell EVEN my mother sits on Facebook, Instagram, video calling, instant messaging, whatsapp and dear knows what else and does much to my surprise ACTUALLY use her phone and it’s apps constructively and usefully and she’d be pissed if anyone suggested we remove those things from her now. ( even though I do have to continually remind her that not EVERYTHING she reads online is either true OR must be immediately forwarded on to me “just in case I hadn’t seen it” !!! Grrrr

joe552
January 4th, 2018, 02:45
I send a few texts a week from my mobile. I don't take calls on it 'cos the sound is shite. That might change when I get my hearing aids. But I honestly don't need to have a smartphone AND a laptop/

samebb
January 4th, 2018, 05:04
I send a few texts a week from my mobile. I don't take calls on it 'cos the sound is shite. That might change when I get my hearing aids. But I honestly don't need to have a smartphone AND a laptop/

Exactly. If a person is sat on a computer all day working (does everything a smartphone does and more), it's likely that when not working, a screen is the last thing you want to look at. Would rather talk to a handsome face personally.

samebb
January 4th, 2018, 05:06
THat must be a VERY general rule as with the exception of my 80 something year old mother everyone I know absolutely uses their phones for 100 and 1 different things that ( its felt) enhances their lives. Hell EVEN my mother sits on Facebook, Instagram, video calling, instant messaging, whatsapp and dear knows what else and does much to my surprise ACTUALLY use her phone and it’s apps constructively and usefully and she’d be pissed if anyone suggested we remove those things from her now. ( even though I do have to continually remind her that not EVERYTHING she reads online is either true OR must be immediately forwarded on to me “just in case I hadn’t seen it” !!! Grrrr

With many elderly people suffering from lonelyness in the west I think these outlets can help a great deal. I am certain it does with my grandfather.

Nirish guy
January 4th, 2018, 05:22
Yes you’re absolutely right there and that’s half the reason we’ve encouraged rather than discouraged my mum in her “learning” of all things econnected, as we’re award that no matter how much we might try or want to be about with her we do all need to work and we also have our own lives and stuff getting on with too and I’m sure there are times were she feels lonely. However by using all her Apps and is all inter messaging and facebooking and video conferencing and things it greatly increases the interaction we all have with her and without that I’m sure her life wouldn’t be as full as it is ( she makes it).

It’s also allowed her to join various OAP Chat rooms and boards ( and god knows what else that none of us know about too) and that’s been great for keeping her occupied and her mind busy. It’s also hilarious when I arrive and she tells me about the latest “dirty old man” trying to chat her up in some OAP chat board ( or at least that’s what she SAYS it is !! :-)

Either way, you’re right, she’d really miss her phones, tablets ( all 3 of them !) and her laptop if she hadn’t of been given them.

frequent
January 4th, 2018, 07:17
Hell EVEN my mother sits on Facebook, Instagram, video calling, instant messaging, whatsapp and dear knows what else The first two in your list pretty much illustrates my point - really stupid people ie. Facebook users - have smart phones

christianpfc
January 4th, 2018, 07:20
So how long do you think I can resist? I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't have one.
If you don't have one by now, you probably don't need one.

I was late to the entire mobile phone scene (my first mobile phone in 2000, then no other use than a few calls per month until I got my first smartphone in 2013). When you look around, most people are using their phone for games or chat.

My phone is inexpendable for navigation (google maps, it shows me not only where I am, but what's around me as well), and as I travel a lot, that's my main use. Online dating and chatting with the dates is second, and calling a distant third. For taking pictures, I mainly use my camera.

Recently (31dec2017) I had a failure of my phone, and I had to calculate half an hour (or rather memorize the map of Prachuap Khiri Khan town and the places I wanted to go) before coming to the conclusion that I can do the trip without phone (but write down a friend in Hua Hin's phone number so I could call him from a phone booth or by asking a stranger if I can use his phone when I go to see him).

Some months ago I started turning my phone into airplane mode more and more often: when I'm in a museum, walking around, meeting friends in real life, and many other occasions.

frequent
January 4th, 2018, 09:48
Here's a reason why everyone with any common sense should eschew social media https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it-just-got-more-difficult-for-your-boss-to-access-your-facebook-account-2018-01-03

The Internet is alive this season with stories from senior executives in those self-same companies about why Facebook and other such sites are A Bad Idea

francois
January 4th, 2018, 13:36
Joe, no reason to have a smart phone if only calls and messages. Here is a new model on the market that should suffice.

https://tech.thaivisa.com/major-new-update-means-may-actually-want-buy-nokia-3310/26482/?utm_source=newsletter-20180104-0709&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I did finally get a smartphone but mostly only use it for texting and calls.
I don't want to become a phone zombie like so many others.

joe552
January 4th, 2018, 16:09
Thanks francois.

frequent
January 4th, 2018, 16:21
I don't want to become a phone zombie like so many others.That's somewhat unkind Francois.
Here's an infant's pacifier:
and here's an adult's pacifier:

francois
January 4th, 2018, 16:41
Same-same, frequent!

bkkguy
January 4th, 2018, 19:21
Thanks, bkkguy,, but I'm not yet tempted to buy one.

and I hope as the discussion has progressed you are still not tempted to but ...

I could give you a hundred reasons while I personally like what my mobile phone gives me access to, and others here have already given you warnings about why they think you do not need one or the dangers of becoming a mobile phone or social media junkie but ...

ultimately you don't make the jump to new tech because it does what your current tech does, it it is about what extra you can do with it and does that justify the cost - given the price of phones these days I don't know that cost is really the issue and if you are going to be a hopeless tech addict then I doubt the device type is really the issue!

try to think outside the (laptop) box - in you wildest dreams what would you like to do when you are out of the house without your laptop both when your are at home and when you are traveling and ask questions about how people here do that with a mobile, but also read about what other people do with their mobile and read reviews of new mobile apps and see if you are interested in that etc

bkkguy

Nirish guy
January 5th, 2018, 00:44
Joe - one word / reason you might want one - GRINDR !! That is all !

FarangRuMak
January 6th, 2018, 14:13
Joe - one word / reason you might want one - GRINDR !! That is all !
Yes!
And there's another one now called Blued?
A friend of mine loves it.

joe552
January 6th, 2018, 14:48
You might have missed the part of my story, posted on other threads, where I say that I have a low sex drive, and have no interest in random sex with strangers. It's just the way I am.

frequent
January 6th, 2018, 16:56
You might have missed the part of my story, posted on other threads, where I say that I have a low sex drive, and have no interest in random sex with strangers. It's just the way I am.All the more for us, Joe. Yum, yum

christianpfc
January 7th, 2018, 18:15
Recently (31dec2017) I had a failure of my phone, and I had to calculate half an hour (or rather memorize the map of Prachuap Khiri Khan town and the places I wanted to go) before coming to the conclusion that I can do the trip without phone (but write down a friend in Hua Hin's phone number so I could call him from a phone booth or by asking a stranger if I can use his phone when I go to see him).
But I got my phone working again by the time I reached Prachuap Khiri Khan. The first hotel I had in mind had only VIP rooms left at 1000 THB per night, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend. So I went on google maps where I had saved another place, and directly from google maps I called that place, was told they had no vacancies at all for that night, so I coughed up 1000 THB for the VIP room. If you know how to use a smartphone, it's awesome. But from looking at other peoples' screens wherever I have a chance to, most don't know.

Nirish guy
January 8th, 2018, 02:44
Totally agree there Christian, I use my phone a lot for many non "phone" functions and have a multitude of Apps on there and even just in terms of holidays can basically plan, book, pay for, get booking confirmations and emails and ALL necessary "paperwork" for an entire holiday right from my phone. Likewise I can as you mentioned then use my phone to find the location, check what bars and restaurants are in the area, call them from the one touch call facility there to check for a table and auto call a cab to get my there. Then if out shopping use my phone to pay for goods without having to touch my credit card or take my wallet out ( up to a limit). Then check in with friends, update where I am with them, arrange to meet, share my exact location, have a group chat re what our plans are and also send a few instant pics to friends who couldn't join us - all whilst listening to music or watching my saviour episode of a favourite TV show or two as I taxi there. not of course to mention arranging a quick hook up on a wide variety of apps for when I'm finished there and then set an alarm to get me up in the morning again - and if at home al view my Echo app through my phone to start my day off with my favourite morning music and mood lighting in my room etc - that and a LOAD of other things I can't think think of now.......so, for people to describe people who use smart phones are dumb etc is well.....just plain dumb I guess.

Moses
January 8th, 2018, 03:19
Totally agree there Christian, I use my phone a lot for many non "phone" functions and have a multitude of Apps on there and even just in terms of holidays can basically plan, book, pay for, get booking confirmations and emails and ALL necessary "paperwork" for an entire holiday right from my phone. Likewise I can as you mentioned then use my phone to find the location, check what bars and restaurants are in the area, call them from the one touch call facility there to check for a table and auto call a cab to get my there. Then if out shopping use my phone to pay for goods without having to touch my credit card or take my wallet out ( up to a limit). Then check in with friends, update where I am with them, arrange to meet, share my exact location, have a group chat re what our plans are and also send a few instant pics to friends who couldn't join us - all whilst listening to music or watching my saviour episode of a favourite TV show or two as I taxi there. not of course to mention arranging a quick hook up on a wide variety of apps for when I'm finished there and then set an alarm to get me up in the morning again - and if at home al view my Echo app through my phone to start my day off with my favourite morning music and mood lighting in my room etc - that and a LOAD of other things I can't think think of now.......so, for people to describe people who use smart phones are dumb etc is well.....just plain dumb I guess.

+ use as remote for aircon, TV, receiver for movie to show it on TV screen, control panel for home security system, monitor for remote watching home CCTV cameras, order taxi or food/goods and pay for it

Marisko
January 11th, 2018, 20:48
Thank u
ANd I always think so

Nirish guy
January 16th, 2018, 03:12
I have no interest in random sex with strangers.

Me too, that's why I'm always sure to ask them their names first......hmmm actually no, wait, maybe in hind sight just scrub that last part perhaps even :) No, I am joking. To be fair it's not so much not asking them their names these days as more just bloody my crappy memory kicking in and me never remembering their names - which I have to say my BF of 4+ years is starting to get REALLY sick of now when he has to keep reminding me of his name again ! :)

francois
January 16th, 2018, 09:55
.......so, for people to describe people who use smart phones are dumb etc is well.....just plain dumb I guess.

The "dummies" are those that aimlessly walk down streets with the phone glued to their ear or their eyes in some sort of trance. And those who dine together and each one spends all their time on their phone, ignoring their companions. And, worst of all, those in the gym who can't stop playing with their phones as they sit on the exercise machines in some sort of stupor. :devilsh:

goji
January 21st, 2018, 16:58
Smartphones & tablets have numerous uses.

1 Navigation -use offline or cached google maps to find places. The era of searching for street maps is long gone. Even in places like Cambodia, it's possible to hire a bicycle & cycle off into the country, using the map on the phone to navigate.

2 Gay dating

3 e-mail, what's app etc

4 Weather forecast

5 Note taking & checklists using, for example, the unfortunately named Color Note.

6 Camera.

7 Calculator.

8 MP3 player (music, podcasts etc)

And many many more.

dab69
February 9th, 2018, 09:28
Not expensive if you buy a new older model- say an iPhone 5 and cheap bring your own phone plan with data
New models free with a phone plan are outrageously expensive every month for the life of the contract.