PDA

View Full Version : Tip for the driver

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 14:12
I've booked a car from BKK to Pattaya for 1200Bt. Given that I'm watching my satang this trip, what would be a fair tip for the driver? I would normally tip 200Bt. Would 100 be ok? Don't want to start my holiday with bad karma.

cdnmatt
January 1st, 2018, 14:14
Doesn't matter, as you will never see him again in your life, most likely.

I'd personally tip, but up to you.

And why are you coming to Thailnd for vacation if you're so budget strapped, you need to watch an extra 100 baht spend?

frequent
January 1st, 2018, 14:18
I've booked a car from BKK to Pattaya for 1200Bt. Given that I'm watching my satang this trip, what would be a fair tip for the driver? I would normally tip 200Bt. Would 100 be ok? Don't want to start my holiday with bad karma.Are you mad? 50 baht, tops

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 14:55
Matt, I booked my holiday some months ago, when my finances were okay. My circumstances since then have changed. So I'm going to have be more conscious of what I'm spending, without missing out on too much fun. Short of funds - remind you of anyone? I don't need a lot of sex on my holiday, so won't be spending lots on offing boys.

frequent
January 1st, 2018, 14:59
Short of funds - remind you of anyone?But what is it in Bitcoin, Joe?

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 15:11
Roughly 0.00002 recurring

frequent
January 1st, 2018, 15:21
Roughly 0.00002 recurringA mere bagatelle

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 15:24
Or a mere bag of shells.

francois
January 1st, 2018, 15:25
100 Baht is adequate assuming a safe ride.

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 15:52
Thanks francois - I would be comfortable with that.

Nirish guy
January 1st, 2018, 20:00
Do you mean from the Swamy airport to Patts Joe - you do know the bus from the airport is genuinely great, I'd usually be the last person to consider it even but even I concede it's a spot on luxury bus with air con etc and leaves every hour or something for I think something like only 300 baht or something like that ?

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 20:23
Thanks NIrish, but after a 24 hour journey I just want to get to Pattaya as quickly as possible. I've taken the bus TO the airport before, and it was fine, and will do that again. But I want a car waiting for me when I arrive. A lady must uphold some standards, don't you know!

aot871
January 1st, 2018, 20:34
I tend to taxi from bkk as like Joe said , just want to get to condo after long flt . For the last 10 trips I have always given the driver 150bht, and that's it , by the way as I stay in Jomtiem I nearly always use the bus on the return trip last time in Oct the cost was approx. 130bht.

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 22:58
Where in Jomtien does the bus leave from (I don't know Jomtien well) I'm thinking I could take a baht bus there, and catch the bus.

dab69
January 1st, 2018, 23:35
I am sure Christian has records of his taxi tips based on the skin temperature of the driver...

Smiles
January 2nd, 2018, 07:07
Where in Jomtien does the bus leave from (I don't know Jomtien well) I'm thinking I could take a baht bus there, and catch the bus.

https://image.ibb.co/mtgBNG/jomtien_map.jpg

joe552
January 2nd, 2018, 07:32
Thanks for that Smiles, but is Pattaya at the bottom (south) or top (north) of the map? In my memory going to the Complex, it's on the right coming from Pattaya. Which will make the bus office on the left?

Smiles
January 2nd, 2018, 07:50
Good grief. The "Road from Pattaya" means you would be travelling south to Jomtien. And yes, that means Pattaya is at the top of the map. Actually, there's quite a lot of tops in Pattaya ... but forget that.

Let's just say you are in the Jomtien Complex. That means at the bottom of the map (lots of bottoms in Jomtien ... but forget that.)
To get to the Jomtien bus station (i.e. where buses leave from ... one being to the airport) you catch a baht bus going NORTH (to Pattaya) and ring the bell for the driver to stop when you see the bus station across the road. You don't have to tip the driver.

The bus station is actually only about 1.5 blocks going north from Jomtien Complex. It's an easy 15 minute walk if you don't have huge bags.

(Wiping my brow).

joe552
January 2nd, 2018, 09:53
Smiles, you're an old treasure. Thank you.

colmx
January 2nd, 2018, 10:48
I have never ever tipped a long distance taxi driver in Thailand. The price they quote is the price they get.

BF is usually quite generous with (my) money and has also never seen fit to tip them

francois
January 2nd, 2018, 11:37
Thanks for that Smiles, but is Pattaya at the bottom (south) or top (north) of the map? In my memory going to the Complex, it's on the right coming from Pattaya. Which will make the bus office on the left?

Jesus wept!:dash:

Good that you are not going to KK!

neddy3
January 2nd, 2018, 15:18
Honestly Joe! How many times do you need to prove that you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

cdnmatt
January 2nd, 2018, 15:45
Sharpest knife on the Christmas tree, or as NIrish puts it, sharpest ice cream cone in the tool box.

joe552
January 2nd, 2018, 15:49
neddy, I intend to continue until it's been proven beyond all reasonable doubt. Are we there yet?

neddy3
January 2nd, 2018, 15:55
Oh yes we are!

Proven beyond any doubt whatsoever!

joe552
January 2nd, 2018, 16:04
Thanks neddy - no more questions from me so.

latintopxxx
January 3rd, 2018, 10:39
In Thailand I only tip if there is a sexual connotation. I even struggle to tip the damn waiters at the beer garden type bars where no or very limited hands on action is had. If I’m gonna tip then st a minimum I should get the opportunity to shove a finger up his hole while he plays with me.

arsenal
January 3rd, 2018, 11:59
Tip for the driver!

If you see Latin. Drive on. Quickly.

Andaman!
January 3rd, 2018, 15:57
I recall Latin only travels by Pony & Trap

frequent
January 3rd, 2018, 16:03
I recall Latin only travels by Pony & TrapAnd is hung like a horse

christianpfc
January 4th, 2018, 08:51
I've booked a car from BKK to Pattaya for 1200Bt. Given that I'm watching my satang this trip, what would be a fair tip for the driver? I would normally tip 200Bt. Would 100 be ok? Don't want to start my holiday with bad karma.
Watching Satang, but taking taxi from airport to Pattaya because you don't want to bother with the bus, or get to Pattaya a few minutes quicker? And then asking what amount you should tip?

Like so many of your posts, this one makes little sense.

aussie_
January 4th, 2018, 09:19
I have never ever tipped a long distance taxi driver in Thailand. The price they quote is the price they get.

BF is usually quite generous with (my) money and has also never seen fit to tip them

Agreed, no tip is necessary. Joe can save the money for his birthday party.

Newbie99
January 4th, 2018, 09:33
I will tip 200 baht. I had one driver start playing with my hand, is that some sort of signal?

frequent
January 4th, 2018, 09:35
I will tip 200 baht. I had one driver start playing with my hand, is that some sort of signal?Only if he was a Freemason