PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Pattaya.

poshglasgow
January 1st, 2018, 00:43
I am going to split this report into smaller chunks of texts (mini paragraphs), as I recall my impressions of my trip last week. I think it may assist the reader too. So it is a series of recollections that occur to me, in no particular order, while I write.

In one of my recent posts I was undecided as to whether to stay in Boyztown - as I have for the past 24 years when visiting Pattaya - or in Jomtien, for the first time ever. I chose the latter and I didn't regret it for one moment. One slight caveat to this was the daily travelling between Pattaya and Jomtien in the ever-present rush-hour.

I flew out of Heathrow on Lufthansa and found it quite dreadful. The food was very sub-standard in my opinion, the flight was delayed and the in-flight entertainment was old and very temperamental. While chatting to one of the cabin crew she disclosed that the metal train that takes food out o the planes had tipped over and that the pasta and curry dishes were going to require some attention!!! Changed at Frankfurt onto the BKK flight. Miles and miles and bloody miles of walking at transit with the travellators out of action. Flew back to the UK, courtesy of Swiss, which was far superior in all respects.

Stayed at the Venue in Jomtien. Friendly staff, spacious clean room with pleasant views out to the back, and it is very conveniently situated. However, the lift is well past its sell-by date, and both television reception and internet connection need some attention. But, I would certainly stay at the Venue again.

The highlight of my trip was the nightly show at the Venue: what an incredible Christmas show!!! This was by far the best performance I have seen in any bar in Thailand in all the years I've been visiting. Choreography was superb, costumes were amazing, and the Venue was packed every night. Terrific atmosphere. Elfin-eyed Nes was my favourite performer. Look out for him as he is a natural performer.

Sure enough, the welcome received at @Home bar (next door) was terrific with the friendly fellow-Scot boss (Zack) proving the prefect host. The stable of young men is primarily staffed by Cambodians, and I must say they were most accommodating and friendly. Many are incredibly good looking.

Went to visit Mama Pai at the green (and white) chairs bar in Sunnee. Oh my God! Were Sunee to be compared to a hospital patient it would surely be located in the intensive care unit. It was like a ghost town. Can Sunee possibly survive? The few bars and clubs that were open, were staffed by bored-looking young men sitting outside perusing Hornet and Gay Romeo on their mobiles. Mama Pai was very philosophical about it all, but I always pay Sunee a visit for old time's sake and to recall some of the incredible shows and bars which were around in days of yore.

Boyztown was quite busy but nowhere as busy as the Complex (which I firmly believe is the future of gay Pattaya). And still the Chinese tour groups shuffle silently through Soi 3, cameras set to video the gay clientele (you could almost hear the hushed tones of David Attenborough guiding them through the soi with a detailed account of gay culture and the symbiotic relationship between the predator and the prey!

I usually had the first sundowner with Nana at Panorama (not my Nana - she's long dead) but Nana the waiter. He likes a bit of gossip, but much of what he has to tell you has to be taken with a pinch of salt. He was quite adamant, for example, that the boss (Mr. D) at Penthouse on Soi 2 had returned to the UK after falling in the bathroom, and in so doing, had sustained a serious brain injury! I went to the Penthouse the same evening and found Mr. D in very good health indeed and we spent some time chatting! Oh, a bit of gossip. When I first stayed at the Penthouse in 1993 the split between gays and breeders was 50/50. Over the years, particularly with the opening of the Kitten Club, it has been a hotel for straight guys. However, Mr. D told me that in recent months he hired only ladyboys, as the punters found them 'more accommodating' than the real girls. Eh? I found that a bit odd but it might account for why the Kitten Club on Soi 2 is now closed. Imagine for one minute your average loud, gay-hating, yobby, young hetero, pissed on Singha, leading his two pussies from the Kitten Club to the bedroom and discovering the inevitable in the shower. It would be like winning the lottery - six matching balls!! Only it wouldn't be would it? All hell would break loose. You read about the same scenario all the time, mainly with pissed Russians taking back 'ladies' to their rooms and the ensuing re-enactment of the Battle of Little Bighorn, in the shower.

I moved next door to Serene bar and had a drink with Max. I promised him last year that I would look him up again. A fairly popular bar with a respectable number of farang, and although I enjoy Max's company, like so many others, he is hooked on the addictive allure of Hornet and other gay sites. I was stunned when he told me that he served his apprenticeship in Sunee before graduating at aged 15 to the former Gentlemen Club in Pattayaland Soi 1! My God, can you imagine that today?

Strolled into Toy Boys: very disappointing and not a patch on last year. From there to Cupidol and there, at the entrance, stood my nemesis, the short, gushing Mamasan, twirling around outside like an excited Dorothy about to set off on the Yellow-brick Road.
"Hi, welcome, good to see you again. I remember you last time. Have many boys: new boys: take look."
There weren't many boys at all and of those on the stage, most stood staring intently, like Midwitch Cuckoos about to kill their prey, at the three bored farang who were in there. I resolutely ignored the Mamasan and refused to make eye contact as she twirled and swirled her way around the bar in her (his?) miniskirt, sweeping her arms - much like a magician's assistant - to point out various young men, none of whom were my type!
"Number 20, he do everything."
"Will he kidnap you and dump you on Koh Larn for twenty baht?"
"No ploblem."

Dinner on a few occasions at La Petite Planete was worth every penny, although the resident toddler, presumably the child of the owners, squawking and squealing, was most irritating. At one point, the infant was rolling about on one of the tables by the toilet. But, this is an excellent restaurant in terms of value for money and quality. The restaurant next door was not quite as full on Christmas night (La Petite Planet was full so I began to look for another venue) and the menu looked good. I was about to sit down when I happened to ask a couple of European men, who were leaving, about their Christmas dinner experience. Their response was not encouraging. I decided to give it a go, but just as I was about to sit down, a girl aged about ten approached me with a menu and an order pad. I left. If I want to be served by a ten-year-old I'll shoot up Pattaya South Road and have lunch with the kids at school 8! Eh, on second thoughts, probably not a good idea!!

I crossed the road to my old favourite, Le Bordeaux, in the same soi. In terms of decor and service it is more up-market and you will pay for it. Canapes and a complementary cocktail were presented, and I must say that the attentive staff could not be faulted. I was introduced to the new French owner by the Thai head waiter as a 'regular over many years'. I started with the cream of pumpkin soup which was pleasant but was lukewarm, and I didn't think that the small square of liver pate floating in the middle of it (it was called an island on the menu) worked at all well: it was quite odd. The imported fillet steak was of excellent quality but the veg serving was inadequate (almost nouveau cuisine). One glass of Chilean red, a very good wine, and the total bill 1,400 B.

The Nam Sing (Bird's Nest) restaurant next to Royal Garden: oh dear! It has been a favourite of mine for some years, but this year it was disappointing. There is a new front-of-house guy who doesn't smile unless you wrestle him to the ground and tickle him under the arms! This place has, in my opinion, gone down hill big time since my last visit in February. I had dinner there last week on two occasions and too much oil was used both times, leaving meat etc, swimming about in it!
The pantomime kicked off when an elderly Chinaman entered the restaurant and used the toilet. He was yelled at by Mister Happy, screaming, "Fifty baht, fifty baht! Toilet for customer! Fifty Baht!" Mr. Fawlty?
A PR disaster. The man in need of the toilet could well have been a tour guide leader or a prospective customer.
There were other issues which I will skip over.

L'Olivier restaurant in Jomtien Complex: pleasant enough but the steak was disappointing. Indeed, the entrecote at La Petite Planete was far superior and was part of La Petite Planete's 390 baht set menu! The buffet, however, at L'Olivier is a plus and the service is good.

Now this is the spooky bit: Last Friday I hired a motorbike taxi at Tukcom to take me back to Jomtien, and I recalled with a sense of some unease that I must have travelled many miles on the back of motorbike taxis over many years in Thailand without incident. This, clearly was a premonition, as thirty minutes after getting on the back of the bike I was being cleaned and patched up in a clinic in Jomtien. Coming down into Jomtien the car in front of us slowed and stopped. In it were two mature European men. My motorbike driver decided to undertake the vehicle in the space between the car and the pavement and it was at that point that the passenger in the car, without checking behind him, threw open his door to leave the vehicle. We smashed into the door, sending both the driver and me across the pavement! I sustained minor bruising and cuts and an injury to my right knee which, thankfully, is not fractured. From that moment on I went everywhere by taxi. Oh, and the driver of the car sped off while the motor bike driver pursued the passenger across the busy road in the direction of View Tallay, shouting, "Hey you! Stop! Stop!"
I waited for some time and decided to hail a baht bus. I climbed very, very gently aboard to complete my journey down into the Complex, and wondered why the other passengers were staring at me and smiling. I was still wearing the bloody helmet! I had no sooner sat down on the bus than I had to press the bell to get back off again to return the helmet. The staff at the Venue were excellent by providing bags of ice to reduce the swelling on the knee before I could limp to the clinic.

Just sharing a taste of my nine days in Pattaya. I hope you've enjoyed the account. A very Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you!

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 01:01
poshglasgow, what a brilliant and witty report. I'm going next week, but there's no way I can compete with what you've written. Thanks for taking the time, I really enjoyed it. Happy Hogmanay.

poshglasgow
January 1st, 2018, 01:33
Many thanks Joe. Have a good trip!

Marsilius
January 1st, 2018, 09:30
An excellent report. I will certainly refer to it when planning my next trip in March.

aussie_
January 1st, 2018, 09:41
Excellent report thank you and fortunately no serious injuries from your motorcycle accident. I saw three motorcycle accidents between Christmas and New Years eve so Grab or Taxis are my preferred option for transportation at present.

I agree about Nes at the Venue, he is very popular and for good reason. The Venue show would be improved if they lowered the ear piercing volume slightly and limited the photo taking in the front seats which is a big distraction there for me. One guy was taking photos every few seconds and never stopped blocking my view so i was out of there after the first section of the show.

arsenal
January 1st, 2018, 09:47
Brillant Poshglasgow. Anyone booked to visit Pattaya will avidly read every word.

Smiles
January 1st, 2018, 09:54
I'm going up to Jomtien tomorrow for a few days so an opinion freshly given is welcome. The Complex has been growing rapidly for these last 3 or 4 years, so thanks for the confirmation Poshglasgow. The general energy in Jomtien Complex is good to feel ... though I would have thought the many bars might stay open a few hours longer. Most joints have packed it in before 1AM.

Like youself I'm booked into The Venue (stayed there dozens of time now) but we diverge on your love of The Show. Variety acts like the Venue's leave me stone cold with every aspect of it, and I find myself running as quickly down the Venue's steps as fast as I can. But there are many who love it ~ the place is usually quite full ~ so good for you, and them.

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 11:23
poshglasgow, on a side note, my niece lives in Bearsden, Glasgow. What kind of an area is that?

Oliver
January 1st, 2018, 13:46
Thanks for a fascinating report. I'm particularly interested by the Jomtien/Boyztown debate. I'm still wedded to the latter and would appreciate a little more information on the problems of travelling from Jomtien during the day time and the journey back to Jomtien at night....I often see long queues waiting for the bus at Pattaya Tai. And your lucky escape on the motor-cy makes me even less likely to choose that mode of transport.

poshglasgow
January 1st, 2018, 17:02
Oliver, the baht buses were not too much of a problem heading into Jomtien, but travelling from Jomtien into Pattaya can be a bit of a wait and there are areas where theyjust will not stop. The queue at Pattaya Tai moves very quickly but I would resist the baht bus mamasan bullying you into standing on the back of the vehicle: it's bloody dangerous, particularly when the vehicle hits a pothole!

I started using the meter taxis - far safer - and was happy to pay 200 Baht each way. Haggle and you might get them down to 150.

Motor bike? I've been put off them for that particular journey as, despite telling them not to, most of the motor cycle guys speed.

scottish-guy
January 1st, 2018, 19:25
poshglasgow, on a side note, my niece lives in Bearsden, Glasgow. What kind of an area is that?

Just to butt in - the most expensive in Glasgow - tho technically it's not actually in Glasgow, it's in East Renfrewshire

However one side of this richest area at one point adjoins one side of the most deprived housing estate in Glasgow - so it really depends on her address

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 19:35
Thanks SG, obviously I'm not going to post her address. Kilmardinny?

poshglasgow
January 1st, 2018, 20:29
Hi Joe,

Lived for most of my childhood in the Kilmardinny Loch area, which is in an upmarket part of Bearsden. The loch conjures up images of shortbread tins, but Kilmardinny is in fact a very tiny loch and is right below the flight path into Glasgow Airport. I fished there as a boy, catching nothing of significance, but it's a lovely part of the world. Bearsden, however, has expanded over the decades as part of the increasing Glasgow conurbation, and is a town (once a village) of contrasts as Scottish Guy rightly points out.
I lived in Gartconnell Road near to what was once Bearsden Academy (now a housing complex). Complex? Complex? Now where have I heard that before? Why do I find myself suddenly thinking fondly of Jomtien again?

joe552
January 1st, 2018, 22:59
Thanks poshglasgow. It was just an idle question.

riverdee
January 2nd, 2018, 02:20
happy new year posh

arsenal
January 2nd, 2018, 05:08
In the interests of fairness I would like to point out that the motorcycle accident (glad youre OK) as written was entirely the fault of the motorcycle driver. Any idiot who undertakes a car that has just stopped near the pavement can expect the passenger to open the door. I've taken one MT in the last 10 years and it was horrible. The driver wanted to negotiate more money for going slowly.

poshglasgow
January 2nd, 2018, 06:02
Arsenal, I entirely agree with you. From now on I will travel by taxi or baht bus between Jomtien and Pattaya.

poshglasgow
January 2nd, 2018, 06:02
happy new year posh

Riverdee, many thanks. Happy New Year to you and yours.

frequent
January 2nd, 2018, 06:45
Arsenal, I entirely agree with you. From now on I will travel by taxi or baht bus between Jomtien and Pattaya.I'd have to admit to confusion. If the bars at Jomtien are so great, why the need to travel to Pattaya at all?

gerefan2
January 2nd, 2018, 07:11
I'd have to admit to confusion. If the bars at Jomtien are so great, why the need to travel to Pattaya at all?

See flesh. No gogo bars.

poshglasgow
January 2nd, 2018, 08:00
I'd have to admit to confusion. If the bars at Jomtien are so great, why the need to travel to Pattaya at all?

Frequent, bars are great fun in Jomtien, but the trip to Pattaya is primarily to do with meeting old friends and visiting familiar go-go bars and restaurants.

FarangRuMak
January 3rd, 2018, 01:36
I don't often read long posts but in your case I always do.
Thanks.
Looks like you have little hope for the patient Sunnee.
Jomtien is buzzing but there's a snag; too many eggs in the Cambodian basket imho.
Re mocycho taxi; I have said to a few friends lately that the Pattaya mcy taxis are getting more grumpy day by day.
Re. The Chinese tourists and gay geek show; an Aussie friend immediately starts filming with his phone camera and this causes panic in the chinese ranks because (he says) that it can be serious for them at home if they are filmed in a gay area.
Keep it up-the reporting I mean.

Nirish guy
January 3rd, 2018, 01:48
Re. The Chinese tourists and gay geek show; an Aussie friend immediately starts filming with his phone camera and this causes panic in the chinese ranks because (he says) that it can be serious for them at home if they are filmed in a gay area.

Thats an interesting twist and my first reaction was good on him as I'm sure like most of us I HATE when they parade through the Soi, looking at us as if we're animals in some zoo. So initially I thought him turning the tables on them was a GREAT idea ! Personally I usually just give them the fingers but am always even more annoyed then just incase they think I'm doing that cutsie Asian two fingered "hi" sign that they all love so much when posting for pictures !

But on a serious note and reflection and thinking about their actions more I then wondered, aside from being (very fucking) annoying I then wondered IS it actually the worst thing that they video us ? This is as at some l'm guessing they go back home and show their friends and family the "gays / perverts / whatever they call us" that they encountered when in Thailand. So whether they like it or not they are then at SOME level "normalising" us to them as the cant fail to see, perhaps for the first time in their lives, that gays are of course just people like everyone else ( if you can call those that frequent Boystown that of course :)).

So IF even one of those Chinese people happen to be secretly gay ( as some of course undoubtedly are) then us other gays being seen "out" and openly relaxing and enjoying life, surely can't be a bad thing either to help them in their minds or to convince their friends that all gays shouldn't be instantly booked down upon maybe ?.......hmmmm or seeing that it IS Boystown they're in then maybe thats not the case perhaps?? :)

So, any thoughts re that guys ??

joe552
January 3rd, 2018, 01:56
NIrish, I agree with you (which will have to stop). I found it annoying the first couple of times, but now I just ignore them. And as you say, all they see are guys drinking and laughing, and enjoying life. There might even be a couple of guys in the group who come back next year alone or with a 'special' friend. So no harm done, as far as I'm concerned.

Nirish guy
January 3rd, 2018, 02:19
I wouldn't care but assuming they wanted a show last time they walked past I stood up, wiped my cock out and waved it frantically in their general direction and not one bugger hardly noticed or even clapped, in fact I could have sworn that I heard one cunt muttering something about having seen a bigger Chipolata sausage as they walked on ! Ungrateful size queen fuckers the lot of them ! Well, it's the last time I'll be doing THAT for them I can tell you !

joe552
January 3rd, 2018, 02:25
Believe me, we're all grateful for that.

Nirish guy
January 3rd, 2018, 02:33
Dont worry Joe, we know you're not a size queen, you've already made it abundantly clear that when it comes to handing out blow jobs you're more of an any cock in a storm sort of guy :)

joe552
January 3rd, 2018, 02:49
I obviously give out more information than intended when I'm on the vino.

FarangRuMak
January 3rd, 2018, 04:32
About 2 years ago you guys might have read about the Chinese business executive who posed for a photo with one of the Tiffany/Alcazar? performers and posted the pic on line AND found his job gone when he got back to China.
The commie-capitalist hybred is a tough taskmaster.

poshglasgow
January 3rd, 2018, 17:07
About 2 years ago you guys might have read about the Chinese business executive who posed for a photo with one of the Tiffany/Alcazar? performers and posted the pic on line AND found his job gone when he got back to China.

That's very worrying, for I thought that the Chinese were quite okay about gay citizens in their midst. Certainly, I've heard encouraging reports about the growing scene in Taiwan, but, of course, one cannot really be compared with the other.
http://www.gaytaipei4u.com/guide/

francois
January 3rd, 2018, 17:23
When I see the Chinese tour groups stroll thru Boyztown I always motion to the cute guys to come over and sit with me at Oscars. Reaction is positive although none have taken me up on the offer.

sglad
January 3rd, 2018, 17:30
When I see the Chinese tour groups stroll thru Boyztown I always motion to the cute guys to come over and sit with me at Oscars. Reaction is positive although none have taken me up on the offer.

But of course. There's a big difference between looking at the cobras from behind a glass panel and actually jumping into a snake pit.

arsenal
January 3rd, 2018, 17:57
Your average Chinese boy doesn't have a snake, He has a worm. Sadly.

gerefan2
January 3rd, 2018, 21:22
[QUOTE=FarangRuMak;234571
Re mocycho taxi; I have said to a few friends lately that the Pattaya mcy taxis are getting more grumpy day by day.
[/QUOTE].

You are dead right about that.

On New Years Eve I got a motorbike taxi from near Yensabai to Jomtien Complex at about 7 pm. When we got there I gave him the usual 60 baht. He said “No 100 hundred”.

I told him it was always 60 ...not tonight New Years Eve...No I said 60.

I was gobsmacked when he gave me back the 60....(must be the first time a Thai has returned/refunded ANY money)....so I said “ ok, up to you” took back the money and walked off down Jomtien Complex followed by a lot of foul mouthed abuse.

Thinking about it afterwards it he probably returned the moneyin the hope I would pocket the 60 and give him 100!

Had it been late, not 7 o’clock,and had he told me before we left....I might have paid, but no....

Sod them.

joe552
January 3rd, 2018, 22:01
You cheap charlie - welcome to my world.

Rolling Stone
January 3rd, 2018, 22:26
In the interests of fairness I would like to point out that the motorcycle accident (glad youre OK) as written was entirely the fault of the motorcycle driver.

Unfortunately if the driver's fault ends up with injuring yourself seriously you have to ask for his fault the rest of your life. Don't try.

Rolling Stone
January 3rd, 2018, 22:32

Why such entainment show would be problematic in any way? Being gay is perhaps still being frowned upon but attending a Tiffany show?

gerefan2
January 4th, 2018, 23:03
Why such entainment show would be problematic in any way? Being gay is perhaps still being frowned upon but attending a Tiffany show?.

Tiffany’s is full of Chines. What a load of bollocks

gerefan2
January 4th, 2018, 23:04
You cheap charlie - welcome to my world..

Joe it was a matter of principle.

poshglasgow
January 5th, 2018, 17:52
While in Pattaya recently I sensed that the number of Arabs had diminished in the Sunee area compared to the vast number of Middle Eastern folk with whom we had come to associate modern day Sunee. In addition, I noticed a substantial number of Russian speaking tourists, presumably fleeing the cold winter in Eastern Europe. When I was in Pattaya last February I felt that the number of Russians had diminished. I wonder if they are still pouring money into real estate?

gerefan2
January 5th, 2018, 22:23
Posh...the Arabs holiday in Pattaya in their hot season. At the moment it is cool there...so no Arabs. Have no fear they will be back in June.

The Ruskies used to get 1baht for one Rouble. Now they only get 0.5 baht per Rouble.
Have no fear they won’t be back any time soon.

poshglasgow
January 5th, 2018, 23:55
I remember when I first visited Pattaya in 1993 £1 was worth about 38 Baht!! Later, around 2003/2004, it reached a heady 70 Baht.
Why so low at present (43 to £1)? Brexit? Low interest rates in the UK? Strong Thai currency?

FarangRuMak
January 6th, 2018, 14:05
I remember when I first visited Pattaya in 1993 £1 was worth about 38 Baht!! Later, around 2003/2004, it reached a heady 70 Baht.
Why so low at present (43 to £1)? Brexit? Low interest rates in the UK? Strong Thai currency?
The baht is surprisingly strong against western currencies over the last few years.
I've often been told that it's "tied to the dollar" but I have to admit I don't have a clue what that means.
Anyone out there can explain why it has strenghened against the £ for instance-even long before Brexit became likely?
I suspect that the Thai economy is doing ok such as it is (though wages are low by western standards) and it did not buy into big big debt craze that brought about the 2008 crash.

frequent
January 6th, 2018, 14:16
I've often been told that it's "tied to the dollar" but I have to admit I don't have a clue what that means.Strictly speaking it means that as the US dollar fluctuates against other currencies, the baht fluctates in the same way. Since however the baht has fluctuated considerably against the US dollar over the course of the past few years, it clearly is not tied to the US dollar. But it sounds good, so ignorant people will parrot it

arsenal
January 6th, 2018, 19:46
The entire world economy has shifted towards Asia over the last decade and Thailand has been part of that. With 4.5 billion people it's not surprising.

poshglasgow
January 7th, 2018, 20:39
Given that when I was in Pattaya two weeks ago, and found that many of the go-go bars were depressingly empty, I mulled over the possible reasons. I kept coming back to what I think is having the greatest negative impact on gogo bar takings: the mobile hook-up sites like Grindr and Hornet seem to me to be the main suspects.

The subsequent drain on "off" revenue (in the region of 400 baht per off these days) which the bars were almost assured of before the advent of these apps and the widespread use of smartphones among the boys, must be crippling. When I visited the bars, many of the guys were standing on the stage, phone in hand, quite possibly arranging farang hook-ups after work or at the beach / hotel the next day, without the bar receiving any kind of benefit.

It's all so depressing really. I found nothing of the energy, excitement and vibrant atmosphere that pervaded these clubs in the past; just a collection of bored, listless young men, some on their phones, others staring at customers and nodding their heads, while others were taking more than a modest interest in the wall mirrors. Whatever happened, for example, to the spontaneous gymnastics that saw the boys suddenly hang upside down from the chrome poles, and countless other captivating displays of vitality and youth? However, on the positive side, it's the go-go bars that will offer the greatest opportunity to examine the goods before purchase. We have all heard the stories of the stunning photo on a boy's Grindr profile bearing no resemblance to the dreadful apparition that knocks on the hotel room door!

Tintin
January 7th, 2018, 21:57
I came to the same conclusion. If you compare it with the situation of 30 or 20 or just 10 years ago, then the atmosphere in the bars of today is really depressing (with a few exceptions). However, I like to see what I get, and therefore I still prefer the bars over the apps.

a447
January 7th, 2018, 23:31
However, I like to see what I get, and therefore I still prefer the bars over the apps.

And it is for that very reason that I think gogo bars will survive.

Although what you see in the bar is sometimes not what you get in the room, it's still the best way to judge whether or not the guy is worth the risk.

I've only ever used the apps once - in Prague - and I remember being very nervous as to what kind of guy would actually turn up. Luckily, he matched his profile perfectly and all went very well.

But what if the guy doesn't match his profile? What do you do then? I would find it very difficult to turn him away. There would be a massive loss of face.

So going to the bars saves me from all that stress. And there are surely many others who think the same.

francois
January 7th, 2018, 23:52
Tonight I visited Winner Bar in Sunee Plaza and the atmosphere was much like that of the good old days. Many patrons and many boyz and lots of fun.

newalaan2
January 8th, 2018, 00:29
Tonight I visited Winner Bar in Sunee Plaza and the atmosphere was much like that of the good old days. Many patrons and many boyz and lots of fun.

Good to hear that. Reasonable drink prices being one of the reasons it attracts a decent custom for the area. The level of pricing encourages customers to shell out for a few drinks for the boys and instead of just having one for themselves and on to the next bar, also encourages customers to stay a bit longer, which in turn keeps the boys interested. On my last trip in October which is more low season it did good business some nights, what I noticed was many of the farang customers were fairly generous on the drink and tip front, as they are in Euro Boys bar when it is busy. That's something I didn't notice when in the BT bars.

gerefan2
January 8th, 2018, 21:12
And it is for that very reason that I think gogo bars will survive.

Although what you see in the bar is sometimes not what you get in the room, it's still the best way to judge whether or not the guy is worth the risk.

I've only ever used the apps once - in Prague - and I remember being very nervous as to what kind of guy would actually turn up. Luckily, he matched his profile perfectly and all went very well.

But what if the guy doesn't match his profile? What do you do then? I would find it very difficult to turn him away. There would be a massive loss of face.

So going to the bars saves me from all that stress. And there are surely many others who think the same..

Agreed 100 per cent... even in the dreaded BBB you can get a better idea of the boy than from the apps

frequent
January 8th, 2018, 23:06
But what if the guy doesn't match his profile? What do you do then? I would find it very difficult to turn him away. There would be a massive loss of face.The answer to this question is simple. You say so during the conversation. A friend of mine goes so far as to say "no cum, no tip". I had a guy turn up yesterday who evidently was the guy in the profile pic - but the pic was clearly several years old. We met in the lobby of my condo. I sent him away, having already told him that that's what would happen ("Pic this year? No photoshop?"). Similarly all those "massage" guys who send messages offering bargain basement prices of "only" 2000 or 2500 baht. They get a standard response - "so sorry, had sex yesterday with guy for 1000 baht". Most immediately drop their asking price. Interestingly I've started encountering Taiwanese escorts online - the cheapish hotels of Silom Soi 3 is where they hang out, same as the Vietnamese, and similarly extravagantly priced. Generally however I stick to the tried and true boys I've met online and had before

frequent
January 9th, 2018, 16:08
The baht is surprisingly strong against western currencies over the last few years.And not everyone is happy - today's Thai PBS story - http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/stronger-baht-raises-concerns-among-exporters/

FarangRuMak
January 10th, 2018, 06:28
And not everyone is happy - today's Thai PBS story - http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/stronger-baht-raises-concerns-among-exporters/
It's a game of swings and roundabouts everywhere.
The drop in sterling over the past year or so is good news for exporters and the tourist industry but bad news for manufacturers that have to import raw materials and of course bad news for British expats in places like Thailand.
You will never please everyone.

FarangRuMak
January 10th, 2018, 06:36
I came to the same conclusion. If you compare it with the situation of 30 or 20 or just 10 years ago, then the atmosphere in the bars of today is really depressing (with a few exceptions). However, I like to see what I get, and therefore I still prefer the bars over the apps.
I agree.
I see what I get and HE sees who's going to give him what he gets.

poshglasgow
January 10th, 2018, 07:23
Clearly then, there is a consensus that the go-go bars offer us a greater insight to the available company on offer, in favour of some of the unwelcome surprises of out-of-date profile pics/false info on the apps (you are expecting Michelangelo's David, when in stumbles Quasimodo on a bad hair day!!)

I'm beginning to change my mind on this whole issue: I was of the firm opinion that these apps were going to effect the demise of the go-go bars. You know what? I don't think that they will, as there is an overwhelming sense that many prefer to choose their boys from the go-go bars; and let's not overlook the added security inherent in the boy's connection to the appropriate bar, should a problem arise.

poshglasgow
January 10th, 2018, 07:49
Excellent report thank you and fortunately no serious injuries from your motorcycle accident. I saw three motorcycle accidents between Christmas and New Years eve so Grab or Taxis are my preferred option for transportation at present.

I agree about Nes at the Venue, he is very popular and for good reason. The Venue show would be improved if they lowered the ear piercing volume slightly and limited the photo taking in the front seats which is a big distraction there for me. One guy was taking photos every few seconds and never stopped blocking my view so i was out of there after the first section of the show.

I agree about the volume, Aussie, they need to reduce it a tad. Among the many in the audience there will be those for whom the high volume will play havoc with hearing aids etc.

One of the photographers at the front of the stage is a well-established, philanthropic fellow Australian,Peter, a lovely guy, who presents each of the performers with a showcase photo album of their performances, by way of keep-sake, and all at his own expense. I'm sure, however, that he doesn't use flash, but many others, each evening, do so and I agree, it is a distraction, particularly when they bob up and down blocking the view. Peter, on the other hand remains seated at all times.

arsenal
January 10th, 2018, 07:49
An app is little more than the edited highlights while the go go bar is the actual event. No brainer. Go go bars win every time.

neddy3
January 10th, 2018, 08:20
Clearly then, there is a consensus that the go-go bars offer us a greater insight to the available company on offer, in favour of some of the unwelcome surprises of out-of-date profile pics/false info on the apps

I'm beginning to change my mind on this whole issue: I was of the firm opinion that these apps were going to effect the demise of the go-go bars. You know what? I don't think that they will, as there is an overwhelming sense that many prefer to choose their boys from the go-go bars; and let's not overlook the added security inherent in the boy's connection to the appropriate bar, should a problem arise.

Agreed 100%!

I'm another person who much prefers the go-go bars, and their advantage of allowing us to assess potential friends in the bar.

I hope that the bars survive.
There is no question that the apps have had a negative impact on the bars.
Just look at the number open now compared with 10 years back.
But a well run bar can still do well; there are not enough that are well run.

frequent
January 10th, 2018, 09:09
But a well run bar can still do well; there are not enough that are well run.What's your criteria for a well-run bar?

frequent
January 10th, 2018, 09:10
Clearly then, there is a consensus that the go-go bars offer us a greater insight to the available company on offer, in favour of some of the unwelcome surprises of out-of-date profile pics/false info on the apps (you are expecting Michelangelo's David, when in stumbles Quasimodo on a bad hair day!!)

http://www.asiaguys.net/bangkoks-soi-twilight-go-go-bars-to-close/

francois
January 10th, 2018, 16:11
Sadly the apps have had a damaging effect on the go-go bar scene. It maybe be the consensus on this forum that bars are more desirable however the guys who use the apps basically do their work on-line and don't go to bars.

scottish-guy
January 12th, 2018, 01:34
I agree that the apps have decimated and almost killed the go-go scene as we used to know it.

However, that's just yet another aspect of modern life that I wish had never happened - along with mobile phones and the assumption that everybody is expected to be available 24/7 to take calls from people they either don't want to hear from at all or failing that, only during decent hours

frequent
January 12th, 2018, 05:52
However, that's just yet another aspect of modern life that I wish had never happened - along with mobile phones and the assumption that everybody is expected to be available 24/7 to take calls from people they either don't want to hear from at all or failing that, only during decent hoursI use Do Not Disturb aggressively

scottish-guy
January 12th, 2018, 06:06
I use Do Not Disturb aggressively

I didn't know there was a "Fuck Off" voicemail greeting - where can I download it :D

arsenal
January 12th, 2018, 07:11
Sums you up.

frequent
January 12th, 2018, 07:14
I didn't know there was a "Fuck Off" voicemail greeting - where can I download it :DMy Voicemail runs something like "I couldn't be bothered answering your call but if you leave a message I may get back to you"

arsenal
January 12th, 2018, 08:22
At the end of a quick 5 day visit. It's not true to say I didn't find enough boys to keep me busily entertained but there weren't as many new faces as I would have liked. The problem if you come here as much as I do I suppose. Eros was closed for most of my time here but that's no great loss these days. Weather on the coolish side for my liking.

frequent
January 12th, 2018, 08:28
At the end of a quick 5 day visit. It's not true to say I didn't find enough boys to keep me busily entertained but there weren't as many new faces as I would have liked. The problem if you come here as much as I do I suppose. Eros was closed for most of my time here but that's no great loss these days. Weather on the coolish side for my liking.Those of us who actually live here have more sedate pursuits. Earlier this week, for example, I rescued some fish that had been released into the Chao Phraya

arsenal
January 12th, 2018, 08:36
Rescued them? Into a frying pan?

poshglasgow
January 12th, 2018, 22:18
Those of us who actually live here have more sedate pursuits. Earlier this week, for example, I rescued some fish that had been released into the Chao Phraya

Every time I read or hear the word 'fish', when associated with Pattaya, I am transported back to the good old days of Le Cafe Royale with Ian and Robbie. Robbie would be sitting outside on the terrace staring into a book, while Ian would be on 'fish guard' at the bar, which entailed him screaming - in his husky cockney voice - "FISH!!!! FISH!!!! every time a woman entered the premises. Happy days!

scottish-guy
January 13th, 2018, 02:21
That's nothing compared to the gaggle of Benny Hill lookalikes sat on the terrace screaming CHICKEN!!!! CHICKEN!!!! any time a young lad walked past

:p

Brad the Impala
January 13th, 2018, 03:50
At the end of a quick 5 day visit. It's not true to say I didn't find enough boys to keep me busily entertained but there weren't as many new faces as I would have liked. The problem if you come here as much as I do I suppose. Eros was closed for most of my time here but that's no great loss these days. Weather on the coolish side for my liking.

Do you do much travelling anywhere other than Pattaya?

frequent
January 13th, 2018, 05:25
Do you do much travelling anywhere other than Pattaya?Of course he does. Gay Chinese boys have an elaborate Early Warning Alarm that is triggered the moment he passes through passport control

poshglasgow
January 13th, 2018, 07:56
happy new year posh

My apologies for not replying sooner: a very Happy New Year too, Riverdee.

arsenal
January 13th, 2018, 09:14
I'm curious why you're interested in my travelling Brad?

Asia Traveler
January 13th, 2018, 21:35
Those were some good days in Pattaya!

arsenal
January 14th, 2018, 06:30
An update. A trip to Pattaya is always a treat and this one (like most actialky) came with a gift wrapping. I've mentioned before somewhere my all time favourite go go boy. Well he's back on the scene. I saw him, fancied him, spoke to him and offed him in 30 seconds. A little older of course but the body is as lean, the killer smile as beautiful and in the bedroom he cemented his position in my heart.

frequent
January 14th, 2018, 06:41
... and in the bedroom he cemented his position in my heart.His cock goes all the way down your throat?

arsenal
January 14th, 2018, 06:47
I set that one up so the points are mine. Haha.

poshglasgow
January 14th, 2018, 21:56
"I saw him, fancied him, spoke to him and offed him in 30 seconds."

I wonder what the impact on Spurs fans will be when they hear that Arsenal can score in 30 seconds!!

Oliver
January 14th, 2018, 23:48
This Chelsea season-ticket holder finds that suggestion outlandish. Arsenal (sorry mate) haven't had a decent team for fifteen years.

sglad
January 22nd, 2018, 03:31
Just sharing a taste of my nine days in Pattaya. I hope you've enjoyed the account. A very Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you!

I did, very much. I don't normally bother with trip reports as I find them to be BS, attention-seeking "ME-ME-ME" melodrama or some icky attempt at geronto-porn but yours was witty and insightful. Thank you. :) And we're almost at the mid point between the Gregorian and Lunar New Years so I guess it's still apposite (555) to wish you Happy New Year too!

Manforallseasons
January 22nd, 2018, 12:57
I did, very much. I don't normally bother with trip reports as I find them to be BS, attention-seeking "ME-ME-ME" melodrama or some icky attempt at geronto-porn but yours was witty and insightful. Thank you.

It is not nice to talk about ak47 like this!

poshglasgow
January 23rd, 2018, 04:54
I did, very much. I don't normally bother with trip reports as I find them to be BS, attention-seeking "ME-ME-ME" melodrama or some icky attempt at geronto-porn but yours was witty and insightful. Thank you. :) And we're almost at the mid point between the Gregorian and Lunar New Years so I guess it's still apposite (555) to wish you Happy New Year too!

Many thanks, sglad.