PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Pattaya.

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 12:49
I thought I'd started a thread on this topic, but can't find it. So here we go again.

If you're going to be in Pattaya for Christmas, will you maintain the western traditions (stuff the turkeys hole with holly), or have a non-Western day? For years, I've gone to my brother's on Christmas Day, and to my sister on Stephen's Day/Boxing Day. This year, I've decided to stay home. I intend to buy a couple of cheap steaks at Lidl, add a few veg, and not have to be nice to anyone.

It's the first time I'll be alone at Christmas, and I'm looking forward to it. How about you? I know I'm lucky to have a choice, not everyone does.

scottish-guy
December 14th, 2017, 14:07
"Stuffing the turkey's hole with holly" (wtf) is not a Western tradition Joe - its just you who does that !

:D

a447
December 14th, 2017, 14:23
I've never been in Pattaya during Christmas, but I imagine there would be lots of places attempting to cash in. No doubt some Thai restaurants will be serving what they consider to be traditional Christmas fare in the West - with a bowl of chilli and a bottle of fish sauce on the side!

And, as we know, the Thais love any excuse to party.

So I'm guessing they do Christmas in a big way, especially in tourist areas like Pattaya.

I'll be spending Christmas in Japan, enjoying a typical Japanese Christmas lunch - KFC.

Honestly, that's what we all eat at Christmas in Japan.

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 15:39
I know eating poultry of some sort is traditional at Christmas, but KFC? Goes into the non-traditional bundle.

latintopxxx
December 14th, 2017, 16:16
Ill be doing midnight mass...and then christmas lunch with all the traditional trimmings...yum

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 16:34
latin, I'm surprised about the Mass - maybe you're a priest? Will you have dinner with your long term partner, or family, or with a group of friends?

Nirish guy
December 14th, 2017, 16:54
I had an Indian once on Christmas day - met him in telephone bar, it was fun :-) Ha actually my mother called me up to wish me a happy Christmas and I told her I'd just had an Indian and she launched into a whole "awww that's not you having a nice Christmas" and I thought to myself "if SO fucking IS !" lol. I still smile into myself when she brings it up. :)

Oliver
December 14th, 2017, 17:12
I hope they take those damn decorations down our my visit in late January. Central still had them up in February last year....though our hotel in Krabi a couple of years back was still sporting grubby polystyrene Christmas reindeer in June.

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 17:16
NIrish, nothing wrong with a hot Indian on Christmas day. Then you can have your turkey dinner later.

arsenal
December 14th, 2017, 17:39
Bah humbug Oliver.

christianpfc
December 14th, 2017, 18:14
I ignore all Christmas activities, and try to be somewhere in the provinces where it is less pronounced than in tourist areas.

poshglasgow
December 14th, 2017, 20:11
"Stuffing the turkey's hole with holly" (wtf) is not a Western tradition Joe - its just you who does that !

:D

Or...stuffing Holly's hole with a turkey: that should keep the smile on her face for another year!

I will be in Pattaya at Christmas but dread the constant "Mellie Clitmas" from whomsoever I encounter. But, it's got to beat Slade's Merry Christmas and Band Aid's Feed the World, booming from supermarket speakers throughout the UK. Then there's the traditional huddle of salvation army musicians, close to hypothermia, wearing their Steptoe's dad's gloves, bashing out jingle bells in a force 8 gale on a dark high street.

Yep, Pattaya beats all that hands down.

gerefan2
December 14th, 2017, 22:11
I ignore all Christmas activities, ...

How am I so surprised!!

snotface
December 14th, 2017, 22:13
I was in a department store in Bangkok one Christmas. All the usual seasonal paraphernalia beloved of cheery, opportunistic Buddhists was on display: the trees, the tinsel, the fairy lights, the cotton-wool snow. Carols were wafting merrily through the festive air. As I made a purchase the young female assistant seemed disconcerted by my less-than-enthusiastic expression. 'You no like Ginger Ben?' she enquired with a big smile. 'Ginger Ben?' I repeated dumbly, wondering for a moment if this was some obscure enquiry into my personal life. "Yes,' she continued, bursting into suddenly familiar song, 'Ginger Ben, Ginger Ben, Ginger all the way...'

scottish-guy
December 14th, 2017, 22:37
Ill be doing midnight mass...and then christmas lunch with all the traditional trimmings...yum

Does this mean we will have to quit calling you Rabbi Poxxx ?

Father Clappp doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but I'm willing to go with it.

poshglasgow
December 14th, 2017, 23:56
I was in a department store in Bangkok one Christmas. All the usual seasonal paraphernalia beloved of cheery, opportunistic Buddhists was on display: the trees, the tinsel, the fairy lights, the cotton-wool snow. Carols were wafting merrily through the festive air. As I made a purchase the young female assistant seemed disconcerted by my less-than-enthusiastic expression. 'You no like Ginger Ben?' she enquired with a big smile. 'Ginger Ben?' I repeated dumbly, wondering for a moment if this was some obscure enquiry into my personal life. "Yes,' she continued, bursting into suddenly familiar song, 'Ginger Ben, Ginger Ben, Ginger all the way...'

Excellent!!

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 03:54
I was in a department store in Bangkok one Christmas. All the usual seasonal paraphernalia beloved of cheery, opportunistic Buddhists was on display: the trees, the tinsel, the fairy lights, the cotton-wool snow. Carols were wafting merrily through the festive air. As I made a purchase the young female assistant seemed disconcerted by my less-than-enthusiastic expression. 'You no like Ginger Ben?' she enquired with a big smile. 'Ginger Ben?' I repeated dumbly, wondering for a moment if this was some obscure enquiry into my personal life. "Yes,' she continued, bursting into suddenly familiar song, 'Ginger Ben, Ginger Ben, Ginger all the way...'Christmas is a shopping festival these days, and materialistic Thais love to shop. I asked a Thai guy once at Christmas the name of the Christian Buddha. “Santa Claus” he replied

I’m currently visiting friends in Sydney. I heard my first Xmas carol in their local shopping mall only this week - and that was too soon

frequent
December 15th, 2017, 03:57
... dread the constant "Mellie Clitmas" from whomsoever I encounter.The response is obvious: “Mary’s Clitoris to you too”

latintopxxx
December 15th, 2017, 09:58
whats WRONG with YOU people.......Christmas is such a magical time of the year...even scotty/arsetroll become "nice" for a day or two...

Andaman!
December 15th, 2017, 11:29
I had an Indian once on Christmas day - met him in telephone bar, it was fun :-) Ha actually my mother called me up to wish me a happy Christmas and I told her I'd just had an Indian and she launched into a whole "awww that's not you having a nice Christmas" and I thought to myself "if SO fucking IS !" lol. I still smile into myself when she brings it up. :)

..........so your Mum misunderstood and thought you were having a phall rather than a phallus? Whichever, you could end up with some ringburn afterwards.