View Full Version : Hotel charges.

arsenal
December 13th, 2017, 15:45
My hotel, where Ive stayed for over 10 years have introduced a new charge that might catch on. It's a joiner a fee I'd 300 baht for non Thai guests. The manager explained it's to do with immigration as technically they need to register every non Thai who enters the hotel. 300 baht is very little and will not influence my decision to off in any way. I just thought I'd let you know.

joe552
December 13th, 2017, 15:48
Even for a cheap charlie such as myself, 300Bt doesn't seem excessive.

arsenal
December 13th, 2017, 17:00
BTW. Some non Thai boys are aware of this and are carrying 'Thai' ID cards that my hotel spotted immediately. Better to be straight up front and just pay the charge.

joe552
December 13th, 2017, 17:27
I've stayed in an apartment for my last few trips, usually Mosaik. So it doesn't affect me. But after a night on the tiles, 300Bt seems reasonable.

I learned my lesson after I offed the 17 year old from All of Me. Since then I've asked the barman to check the ID if I have any doubts.

cdnmatt
December 13th, 2017, 17:30
That's bullshit. Why don't they just do the job they're being paid for, and check guests in?

joe552
December 13th, 2017, 17:32
Matt, because these visitors are not guests with reservations (although the boys who go with arsenal probably have lots of reservations) so how can they be checked in?

Moses
December 13th, 2017, 17:39
That's bullshit. Why don't they just do the job they're being paid for, and check guests in?

Many hotels have 2 prices for double room: for one guest and for 2 guests. If room is paid for one guest then usually hotel charge "for towel" sometimes "for towel and breakfast" (if breakfast is included) if you have visitor.

"Guest check in" is possible when room is paid for 2 persons - then to make regular check in is hotel's job. If room is paid for one guest - then you cannot ask for "guest check in": guest for whom check in may be expected is already checked in - you.

cdnmatt
December 13th, 2017, 17:42
I don't know, but I wouldn't pay it. For example, back when I had a couple giks, we'd always go to a hotel. If they said the room was an extra 300 baht because I happen to be white and he's Thai, I wouldn't pay it.

We normally used a curtain motel though, so no ID required, so I guess moot issue. Sometimes an actual hotel was used though.

Or what happens if Leo and myself decide to get a room? It's an extra 600 baht for them to do some paperword, and check us both in?

joe552
December 13th, 2017, 17:46
Are you being deliberately dense today Matt? If you book a room for 2 people, both of you will have to check in. For instance, I've booked a room for 2 at the hotel in KK you recommended. If it happens my friend doesn't travel with me, I don't expect them to lower the price because only one guest showed up.

bkkguy
December 13th, 2017, 17:57
It's a joiner a fee I'd 300 baht for non Thai guests.

If they said the room was an extra 300 baht because I happen to be white and he's Thai, I wouldn't pay it.

I hope you're not colour-blind as well as blind Matt!

bkkguy

cdnmatt
December 13th, 2017, 17:58
Not once have I had to show ID to check-in to a hotel in KK. I can't, because I don't have a passport.

It's always the Thai I'm with who checks in, so I guess that makes me the joiner.

This is where curtain motels come in handy. No ID required for either party.

aussie_
December 13th, 2017, 19:13
It maybe a scam that is spreading amongst the hotels. My friend has stayed at the Privi Hotel across from the Avenues shops a few times and last week for the first time they were charging 150 baht for any guests he took back to his room even though he had booked for two.

cdnmatt
December 13th, 2017, 19:57
Yeah, this is an obvious scam.

Besides, unless the law has changed that I don't know about, hotels only need to register guests with immigration who are staying 2 or more days. If it's just one night, they don't need to register them by law. That's why curtain motels can operate throughout the country, and why some hotels will just hold the lad's ID until they leave instead of registering them.

Up2U
December 13th, 2017, 22:17
Which hotel(s) by name have this charge?

scottish-guy
December 13th, 2017, 22:21
If for any reason I deviate from my normal hotels I always email the proposed one beforehand to confirm that as I'm booking a room for two there will be no joiner charge.

There is no reason to be embarrassed to ask about this and it's always best to have your question answered in writing.

If the proposed hotel responds that there is a joiner charge, they simply don't get my money and I go elsewhere - and ditto if they don't respond

joe552
December 13th, 2017, 22:24
Totally agree SG. As I said, I stay in an apartment in Pattaya now, not a hotel. But the hotel I've booked in KK was booked for 2, it's standard, and as far as I can see, the same price.

christianpfc
December 14th, 2017, 17:48
I think all these joiner fees in all possible disguises (joiner fee, registration fee, extra towels, breakfast for one or two) are a scam to make some extra money.

Name and shame these places so others can stay away!

300 baht is very little...
It's a significant amount of money for me.

I usually stay in hotels that cost 300-500 THB and never had any such problem. In Nakon Sawan I had two guests over night, in Pattani as well, nobody cared. The place I'm usually staying in in Pattaya is not manned at night, so nobody would know whom and how many I take to my room (except by security camera).

This is where curtain motels come in handy. No ID required for either party.
Out of about 20 visits to 5 different short time hotels, ID was required twice. In one occasion on check-in (I was staying over night, and had forgotten my passport, so we checked in with the boy's ID), in the other occasion I had already showered and we could have been in bed (but we were not: boy fully dressed and I in towel) when it knocked on the door asking for ID.

Rolling Stone
December 16th, 2017, 02:05
17 posts so far but no hotel(s) has been named. Are you kidding me?