PDA

View Full Version : Up to you

joe552
December 12th, 2017, 12:43
Is this the most infuriating phrase in the English language? Just talking to my friend about our trip to KK. You want to go for 2 or 3 days, sez I. Up to you, sez he. No, up to you sez I. No up to you sez he. I'm getting annoyed at this stage, and he finally settles on 2 days (3 days, 2 nights).

I got the same answer when I asked about sex.

I know we have the money, and therefore the power, but when you say to him, where you want to eat you're trying to share some of that power. I might just slap the first person who says it to me in Thailand. It won't change the culture, but it might make me feel better.

And then, you're chatting away (on Facebook in our case) and he suddenly goes silent. What happened to "Joe now I go eat". Fine. But to just just stop in the middle of a conversation.

Ah, I think I'll just stay home.

catawampuscat
December 12th, 2017, 13:22
Hey Joe, keep it up, you’re almost to 4000 posts.

Smiles
December 12th, 2017, 14:22
" ... I might just slap the first person who says it to me in Thailand ..".Say no more!

scottish-guy
December 12th, 2017, 14:52
"Up to you" is certainly in the top two of the nominations for the Teeth Gnashingly Infuriating Statements Awards (SE Asia category) - the other being the ubiquitous "You don't understand me"

:p

Nirish guy
December 12th, 2017, 16:00
Closely followed by "hurry up, you cum now" :) ( which of course only makes me even more determined NOT to just to annoy the buggers !)

cdnmatt
December 12th, 2017, 16:06
I like "up to you", and use it all the time. It's a good thing. It let's everyone be who they are instead of who others want them to be.

Chuai-Duai
December 12th, 2017, 16:06
My Thai boyfriend uses the single word "later" as the answer to many questions. ie "Do you want to go out?" "Later". "Are you ever going to get out of bed" "Later". "When are we going to decide about (insert question here)" "Later".

It has the merit from his point of view that he has answered the question without committing himself to anything.

He also uses "up to you" far more than I would like.

scottish-guy
December 12th, 2017, 19:55
I frequently get "LAH" or sometimes even "MAH" appended to the end of sentences.

:unknw_mini:

joe552
December 12th, 2017, 20:23
Which mean what, SG?

arsenal
December 12th, 2017, 21:32
You can dress it up however you like but if you're paying for everything and making all the decisions he's not your boyfriend. He's your employee. I bet he doesn't say 'up to you' to his friends or siblings every time a decision needs to be made.

scottish-guy
December 12th, 2017, 23:07
Which mean what, SG?

I don't think it means anything - I think it just a gay affectation stuck on the end - like "dear" or "lady".

However, if it turns out he's been ending sentences to me with "cunt" all these years I'll be well peeved

:D

latintopxxx
December 12th, 2017, 23:56
scottys much better half must be singaporean because they always go " Ok lah"...
..and arsetroll...u r so kind with words ..." employee"...lol...no...LOL...

latintopxxx
December 12th, 2017, 23:58
anyway when a MB uses "up to u"...its him letting u set the price as high as u like...if u r a dumbass nembie full of 1st world guilt then u may just way overpay. ...quite smart I say

arsenal
December 13th, 2017, 03:15
We're not talking about MBs Poxxy. We're talking about 'boyfriends' and the charade of pretence some farangs go through. Up to them.

scottish-guy
December 13th, 2017, 05:00
scottys much better half must be singaporean because they always go " Ok lah ...

That would make sense Latin - he's Vietnamese but I recall he lived in Singapore for a few months maybe 5yrs ago and that could well coincide with the "Lah"

joe552
December 21st, 2017, 02:20
So now the other little fecker is at it. I know he doesn't drink alcohol (I don't know why he wants to hang out with me), so I asked him what he'd like to have in the fridge when I arrive. I've already arranged for cans of Heineken to be waiting for me. But he can't tell me what he wants - I decide when I go sez he. Fuck him he can go to 7-11 himself.

Robby
December 21st, 2017, 03:37
Omg Heineken???? Really, you drink that catpiss? I'm Belgian so we only drink real beer. I still prefer Leo when in Thailand.

joe552
December 21st, 2017, 04:02
I'll try Leo (if Matt doesn't minsO.

kkjason
December 21st, 2017, 07:49
I'll try Leo (if Matt doesn't minsO.

Unless you want a massive headache in the morning - stay away from Leo. Sure - choices are limited here and Heineken is a bit more expensive at the end of the night, but your body will thank you in the morning!

kkjason
December 21st, 2017, 08:18
Yes - I'm replying to my own post - I just got Joe's joke (or maybe he's serious - hehe) - It's a bit early for me. Try Leo if you must...

joe552
December 21st, 2017, 08:52
kkjason, you can't have missed the discussion about my trip to KK to verify Matt's existence.

kkjason
December 21st, 2017, 09:11
You are most correct - see my follow up post - it just takes me awhile in the morning - Cheers -

joe552
December 21st, 2017, 13:55
And I hear you slow at getting jokes too

colmx
December 21st, 2017, 14:10
I find Leo pretty easy drinking... And it doesn't give me a hangover.

Unlike singha (gassy and variable taste) and Chang (gassy and strong), I find Leo to be "just right"

joe552
December 21st, 2017, 15:50
Well I've asked the rental company to put a few bottles of Heineken in the fridge for my arrival. I'll certainly give Leo a shot. Can you buy it on draught, or is it only bottles?

colmx
December 21st, 2017, 19:31
Well I've asked the rental company to put a few bottles of Heineken in the fridge for my arrival. I'll certainly give Leo a shot. Can you buy it on draught, or is it only bottles?

bottles – barrels – flagons – cans. To quote Christy Moore!

And also in towers!

snotface
December 28th, 2017, 19:52
I hate being called 'papa' by Thai boys. I know it's meant politely (usually) but it has two glaring defects 1) it reminds me of my chronological age when in my own mind, against all the boring daily evidence, I still feel late-20s, possibly on a bad day early-30s 2) it makes me feel far too respectable - I didn't go to all the trouble of moving out to Thailand to live a louche, decadent life only to be labelled a stuffy, conventional paterfamilias.

The other one I dislike is 'thank you'. Obviously not when it's said sincerely. I'm referring to the occasions when I might be passing a bar or massage parlour and respond to the entreaties to enter with a few words of excuse or an apologetic smile, only to have a drawn-out 'thank you' dripping with sarcasm follow me down the soi. It might be my imagination but this comment seems to have become more common over the years.

gerefan2
December 28th, 2017, 21:28
....Or that annoying prat who used to stand outside the Crazy Pub in Sunee and say to every passerby “Thank you for Smiling”.
Wouldn’t have much to say nowadays....

FarangRuMak
December 28th, 2017, 21:56
The wheels of birthday party time grind slowly but they grind finely.
Joe soon it will be upon you.
Are you getting nervous?
I know I am.
I won't be in Thailand for January but that makes me more nervous.
I can't explain this but by the 9th I'll be on something.

joe552
December 28th, 2017, 22:08
FRM why would I be nervous? I'll be sitting in a bar enjoying a beer or glass of wine - the rest is optional and in the lap of the gods.

snotface
December 28th, 2017, 22:17
I can't explain this but by the 9th I'll be on something.

Tranquillisers? Crack cocaine? A plane? Your sentence is certainly inexplicable as it stands.

Yraen
December 30th, 2017, 17:10
I frequently get "LAH" or sometimes even "MAH" appended to the end of sentences.

:unknw_mini:

Just an add-on intended to add some emphasis to the preceding statement. Most common in Singapore and Malaysian Straits-born Chinese.