PDA

View Full Version : Travel between Jomtien and BT

poshglasgow
December 9th, 2017, 19:08
After 24 years of coming to Pattaya, I have decided, for the first time, to stay in Jomtien rather than in south Pattaya. That means that I have never travelled back to Jomtien late at night (only during the day time). Do the baht buses still run from outside No.8 school to Jomtien very late at night after the gogo bars close? There are, I suppose, the ubiquitous motorbike taxis, but their speed at night would be a concern. There is always that chance that the biker has had more beer than me!!

Finally, what is the going rate these days for (a) a motorbike taxi between S.Pattaya and Jomtien Complex and (b) the baht bus for the same journey late at night?

Many thanks.

Moses
December 9th, 2017, 19:39
There are, I suppose, the ubiquitous motorbike taxis, but their speed at night would be a concern. There is always that chance that the biker has had more beer than me!!

Finally, what is the going rate these days for (a) a motorbike taxi between S.Pattaya and Jomtien Complex and (b) the baht bus for the same journey late at night?

Many thanks.

Motobike rate is 60-70. After midnight till about 3am you can find there Nick from thaimasseur.biz on the moto stand near traffic light. He never drink at work, his west has number 6 on it.

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 21:12
Hate to think what number his East has on it!

Useful info though.

That's why I don't know if I'd ever stay in Jomtien - the chances are I'd be ending most nights in BT or Sunee and the last thing I'd relish would be trying to get transport home.

Similar reason I rarely go out at Hogmanay these days - absolutely no way of getting home unless you have a non-drinking driver in your company (and I don't know any non-drinkers :D) - although making a special effort this year for my Vietnamese guests and taking them to a Hogmanay Ceilidh

Marsilius
December 9th, 2017, 23:33
I always stay in Jomtien and have never had a problem getting back there after Sunnee/Boyztown bars close up. You have to be prepared to take a motorbike if necessary, but I've never encountered a problem with the state of the driver.

poshglasgow
December 9th, 2017, 23:48
Many thanks gentlemen. Very helpful.

newalaan2
December 10th, 2017, 00:24
After 24 years of coming to Pattaya, I have decided, for the first time, to stay in Jomtien rather than in south Pattaya. That means that I have never travelled back to Jomtien late at night (only during the day time). Do the baht buses still run from outside No.8 school to Jomtien very late at night after the gogo bars close? There are, I suppose, the ubiquitous motorbike taxis, but their speed at night would be a concern. There is always that chance that the biker has had more beer than me!!

Last few years I've stayed in Jomien at some point during a Thailand trip, and usually visit BT/Sunee at least once during a night returning at various times 10pm- 5am and always manage to get a baht bus. Last trip in Oct after a visit to Marine Disco in Walking St I caught baht bus at the end of soi VC next to VC hotel (opposite the small sois which lead to Walking St) at 5am. They seem to run 24/7 and it's just your luck during the quieter hours, but so far never needed to use Motocy taxis at any hour. Baht bus is usual Bt10 at all times, but I have used them as taxi hire for Bt80-100 depending on circumstances at the time, I prefer that option to motocy taxis.

To be honest when staying in Jomtien I often found the most irritating time to be using baht buses was around 6pm-8pm from Jomtien to Sth Pattaya as they tend to get stuck in the long traffic jams as you near Sth Pattaya with so many tour buses using that route and they are often packed solid, between being packed-in, vehicle fumes and heat it's a bit uncomfortable. I don't know if this is all year round or just the months I happen to be visiting. Expats here probably more in the 'know'.

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 06:35
Pattaya to Jomtien could take over an hour of your precious holiday time in a baht bus. Rented motorbike takes 10 minutes. A motorbike allows you to visit all three areas 2/3 times a night and sample the different atmospheres in each as the night unfolds. And the boy you off will think you a little less old and just a little more cool.
:dirol_mini:

latintopxxx
December 10th, 2017, 07:20
ive had fun with the motor bike boys...grabbing hold of them..tightly..

Phred
December 10th, 2017, 08:46
I’ve been staying out at Jomtien for several years now. I much prefer it. It feels much more like a holiday place than up in town to me. I’ve never had any real problem getting a baht bus latish at night. Years ago I used to just walk up the soi to the main road and flag one down but now they all seem to fill up at the cue at the school so I walk down there and climb on. It usually doesn’t take long before they take off.

When I’m late for meeting people I will take a motortaxi but ask for a helmet and always remind them “sabai, sabai” before starting and sometimes on the way again.

A couple of years ago I noticed cabs started appearing around down. I think they wanted 100-200 baht pretty much regardless of the trip. I took one once when I was really late and it was really hot. It was well worth it for the aircon alone.

aussie_
December 10th, 2017, 12:17

Many thanks.

Many of the baht buses are driving at extremely fast speeds late at night. I sometimes feel very unsafe. The motorcycle taxis out front of Jomtiem Complex near the Poseidon Hotel do have a car which i took recently late at night for 150 baht with some Thai friends to a club. He drove very well and safely.

gerefan2
December 10th, 2017, 14:26
Pattaya to Jomtien could take over an hour of your precious holiday time in a baht bus. Rented motorbike takes 10 minutes. A motorbike allows you to visit all three areas 2/3 times a night and sample the different atmospheres in each as the night unfolds. And the boy you off will think you a little less old and just a little more cool.

Whilst I agree with that, I rent a motorbike all the time, ....but it all depends...
If you don’t drink fine..
If,like me, you do drink you would be mad to even have one drink before driving a motorbike in Thailand.
Leave that to the Thais.

newalaan2
December 10th, 2017, 17:30

Sorry arsenal need to totally disagree with this. On occasion even at wrong time of day/peak times it could never take 'an hour' Jomtien-Sth Pattaya either direction. Normal journey time is 10 mins by baht bus for about 90%+ of trips. So lets not over exaggerate that just to try and play-up any advantages of motocy rental.

Certainly as a visitor I feel it's simply not worth the increased risk associated with motocy driving.........to hire one, especially Pattaya where driving is crazy with mad young Thai/Western lads, drink and drugs all mixed-in together. Of all the places in Thailand I visit including Bkk......Pattaya is the very worst by light years. I've driven thousands of miles in vehicles around Thailand never had an incident. In Pattaya alone I've been in three motocy accidents, none were my drivers fault yet any of which could have cost me my life and/or serious injury. Chances are....small incident involving a baht bus is unlikely to result in serious injury, the slightest incident on a motocy where there is nil body protection can lead to serious injury.

Anyway, why would you want to visit these areas 2-3 times a night? I stay in one area for a decent length of time, maybe moving between two areas and then on to late night clubs/pubs. I tend more to pick different areas on different nights rather than visit them multiple times in an evening. Anyhow the distance between Sunee/Walking St/BT I class as virtually nothing in terms of time for walking.

But most important to me is the fact I enjoy a beer or two and visiting bars in BT, Sunee, Jomtien would be a massive turn-off not being able to drink around the bars just so I could have 'slightly more' easily available transport. To me that's absolutely insane when Pattaya is so compact with readily available transport 24/7. If obviously like yourself, you do NOT drink then it might just be more convenient, but no more than that. The one thing I feel about visits to Thailand and Pattaya especially is the fact I don't feel the need to rush around, I enjoy the easy pace as I say with Pattaya so compact. In 18 years and 60+ visits never considered a motocy rental even once. Incidentally, bf uses motocy back home all the time and even he has rejected any thoughts about renting a motocy in Pattaya, to describe this he likes to use his own version of one of my oft-said phrases 'that just ask for trouble come"!

Nirish guy
December 10th, 2017, 18:45
making a special effort this year for my Vietnamese guests and taking them to a Hogmanay Ceilidh

Hmm interesting to hear what they make of THAT ! :) Do please report back !

Nirish guy
December 10th, 2017, 18:53
A motorbike allows you to visit all three areas 2/3 times a night and sample the different atmospheres in each as the night unfolds.

Totally agree and I've always rented a bike for that very reason and make the trip between the two areas numerous times, HOWEVER I now absolutely park the bike up in the evenings at my room and dont touch it again, especially if driving to Jomtien as as already been mentioned on the board the police and their breathalysers are now also guaranteed to be on the road between the city and jomtien every single night without fail. And Joe before you say "but why would you drink anyway etc" I'm not talking about being falling off your bike drunk I'm talking about you maybe had two or three beers at 3pm on the beach and drive to Jomtien at 8pm "totally sober" and get nicked for being over the limit etc and yes you might say oh well you're still drunk etc......but aside from legality I'd disagree about that.

So, rent a bike for sure, but do be aware the police have now caught on to their latest big money making scheme and I dont see that changing any time soon so be sure to park it up if in any doubt ( or carry 10000 baht spare cash with you if not). PS HAS anyone heard anything different to the 10000 baht rumour i.e is that feel discussable perhaps ?

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 19:27
My experience and timings and those of Newalaan differ. Why do I want to visit each area 2/3 times a night? Well, because I do. The atmosphere changes throughout the night. And I'm virtually tea-total in Thailand. A 10 day trip recently yielded an alcohol consumption of exactly one beer.

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 20:42
I haven't said anything on this thread NIrish. I don't drive a motorbike, so have nothing to contribute

I know, it never stopped me before.

gerefan2
December 11th, 2017, 00:17
PS HAS anyone heard anything different to the 10000 baht rumour i.e is that feel discussable perhaps ?

Two of my friends (thai) have been done in the last year and both had to pay 10K baht.

I refused to pay one single baht towards any on it and one stayed in the lock up for 4 days until he found the money.

FarangRuMak
December 11th, 2017, 01:00
ive had fun with the motor bike boys...grabbing hold of them..tightly..
I've see a few of the cute ones who have done the maths and have gone a-go-go.

Nirish guy
December 11th, 2017, 01:16
Two of my friends (thai) have been done in the last year and both had to pay 10K baht.

If thats what they're hitting Thais for I dread to think what they're asking farang for then.

a447
December 11th, 2017, 07:25
How can they expect a Thai to pay that sort of money?? That's ridiculous.

Perhaps they are working on the premise that behind every drunk Thai stands a rich farang willing to pay the fine.

gerefan2
December 11th, 2017, 18:44
How can they expect a Thai to pay that sort of money??

It’s called a deterrent and from what I have seen seems to work.
At least now they think before drinking and driving....(maybe only a little) but yes some do even mention not doing it!

And that10K is a cash deal with BiB. There’s the alternative of daring to go to court but the sentences can be even worse...

joe552
December 11th, 2017, 18:54
At least here in the West, we scrupulously obey the rule of law. Those pesky Thais, and their cavalier attitudes. No wonder so many of us choose to retire there, or go for holidays.

a447
December 11th, 2017, 19:13
It’s called a deterrent and from what I have seen seems to work.
At least now they think before drinking and driving....(maybe only a little) but yes some do even mention not doing it!

Many deterrents only work when you are sober.

After a night out on the booze, caution is often thrown to the wind.

scottish-guy
December 11th, 2017, 19:43
The same applies to sex.

Once it's in front of you and the red mist descends, all sense can fly out the window.

Smiles
December 11th, 2017, 20:23
I dread to think what they're asking farang for then.
Manforallseasons will have the answer to that.

poshglasgow
December 12th, 2017, 00:47
Last few years I've stayed in Jomien at some point during a Thailand trip, and usually visit BT/Sunee at least once during a night returning at various times 10pm- 5am and always manage to get a baht bus. Last trip in Oct after a visit to Marine Disco in Walking St I caught baht bus at the end of soi VC next to VC hotel (opposite the small sois which lead to Walking St) at 5am. They seem to run 24/7 and it's just your luck during the quieter hours, but so far never needed to use Motocy taxis at any hour. Baht bus is usual Bt10 at all times, but I have used them as taxi hire for Bt80-100 depending on circumstances at the time, I prefer that option to motocy taxis.

To be honest when staying in Jomtien I often found the most irritating time to be using baht buses was around 6pm-8pm from Jomtien to Sth Pattaya as they tend to get stuck in the long traffic jams as you near Sth Pattaya with so many tour buses using that route and they are often packed solid, between being packed-in, vehicle fumes and heat it's a bit uncomfortable. I don't know if this is all year round or just the months I happen to be visiting. Expats here probably more in the 'know'.

Many thanks. That's helpful. Marine disco? Is it a gay hangout?

gerefan2
December 12th, 2017, 01:56
Marine Disco is not a gay venue as such.
However, you will sometimes find the boys gather there after work as it is one of the few places now allowed to stay open until 6 am.

newalaan2
December 12th, 2017, 20:36
So, rent a bike for sure, but do be aware the police have now caught on to their latest big money making scheme and I dont see that changing any time soon so be sure to park it up if in any doubt ( or carry 10000 baht spare cash with you if not). PS HAS anyone heard anything different to the 10000 baht rumour i.e is that feel discussable perhaps ?
These higher demands have been going on for a while now in Pattaya (usually higher than Bt10000). True story...........back on my June trip this year my friend from Navanakorn came to Pattaya for a couple days as he sometimes does during my trips and we visit some of the guys we know in local bands, one of the nights after we had finished our travels he went to the room of a friend, he then headed back to our place at Mosiak at 6am and was caught in a police check point enroute, not very drunk but certainly over the limit.

He is just a normal Thai guy working in an engineering company earning about Bt15,000 a month. The police demanded Bt20,000, with immediate payment and he goes nowhere until paid! He got that 'down' to Bt15,000...so his friend who was with him on the back of the bike had to take my friends ATM card and withdraw what he could, about Bt10,000, he called me I lent the other Bt5,000. The friend retunred claiming to police he couldn't raise the full Bt15,000 (even though he had it in case they didn't budge)..... police finally accepted Bt8,000 for a quick resolution. But he said it STILL took a lot of negotiation over 3 hours all in, pleads that he would lose his job etc... to get it resolved. His friend whose bike it was and was probably over the limit was allowed to drive them away......he came back to room about 10am, repaid my Bt5,000 and headed back to Navanakorn to start his work on the night shift.

A447 suggests Bt10,000 is ridiculous for a Thai, and it is! but that's what the police expect and get nowadays from ordinary Thais. I have no experience of their expectation from Farangs, but still seems negotiable depending circumstances...and definitely not worth the risk. If my friend had not come up with enough the police were going to hold him until he paid, it might have meant him missing his shift later that night back in Navanakorn which would have been more serious than simply having to come up with Bt10-15,000. I think the police digging their heals in until the farang came up with the whole amount could be a problem, however if you did have Bt5,000 on you to hand over immediately for a quick resolution for both parties that might be enough, certainly worth a try, but who knows.

My experience and timings and those of Newalaan differ. Why do I want to visit each area 2/3 times a night? Well, because I do. The atmosphere changes throughout the night. And I'm virtually tea-total in Thailand. A 10 day trip recently yielded an alcohol consumption of exactly one beer.

That makes sense with the 'virtually tea-total' line........you don't drink in the evenings...I do. Once I have found somewhere I like, I prefer to settle there for a good while. I find enough time used up just with the out and return, personally I couldn't be bothered with 4-6 times a night, but could understand if you have the freedom of a bike and don't drink.....a position I've never found myself in Pattaya this past 18 years or so!

But in what way does your experience and timings differ to mine journeying between the two as a matter of interest? and maybe helpful to the OP. If you use your motocy and never use baht buses how would you be aware how long a journey takes in one, or, are you saying you have experience of regularly taking an hour to travel between Jomtien and Sth Pattaya by baht bus or motocy? or that it takes an hour at a certain time of day? As I say, I regularly travel between the two, both directions, from about 2pm through 5am and apart from the specific times I mentioned 6-8pm it takes about 10 mins by baht bus for that journey. What are you experiencing differently from me?

a447
December 12th, 2017, 21:01
I imagine that fine is the bribe you must pay to the police.

If you were to refuse and opt instead to go down to the police station and be charged, what would the punishment be?

Being in control of a car or bike when drunk is a very wide offence, but it's a bit much to expect the offender to come up with a month's pay on the spot. Who goes around with that amount in their pocket?

If the offender decided to go through the official channels, would they get an equivalent fine, and would they be able to pay it off?

Or would they go straight to the "monkey house"?

For me, it's entirely academic, as like arsenal, I don't drink. But I would be interested to know.

vnman
December 12th, 2017, 21:09
I'm still using Uber for longer distances.

I just returned to Pattaya, but in Oktober, I took at least 6 rides. Not sure about their precise status. it seems that they get fined when picking up customers. From Tukcom to the outlet on Sukumvit would set you back around 90bt. The cars provided are/were usually new and full size.

At night you can still take a 10bt ride with the busses. If you are lucky you can stop one roadside. Otherwise, if you are in boys Town, walk to the corner of 3rd and South Pattaya rd. You can get on there for the same 10bt.

arsenal
December 12th, 2017, 21:16
Newalaan. I did say can, not always does and I'm talking door to door from leaving one bar to getting the baht bus to the journey to getting off and to your destination. But it's really not important is it. I use a motorbike and you prefer a baht bus. No argument to be had. Even before the drink driving crackdown there were only two bars I ever drank alcohol in. If I don't go in those bars then I don't drink at all. I'm in Pattaya for great food, boys and biking.

latintopxxx
December 12th, 2017, 23:58
biking?????

gerefan2
December 13th, 2017, 16:41
biking?????

Does he mean “riding”...

arsenal
December 13th, 2017, 16:53
I'd have thought that the word could refer to foot power or horse power but it's not entirely clear. For the record I mean a motorbike.

bkkguy
December 13th, 2017, 18:14
biking?????

a guy who is a top with both males and females?

bkkguy

newalaan2
December 13th, 2017, 18:56
Many thanks. That's helpful. Marine disco? Is it a gay hangout?

Marine Disco is not a gay venue as such.
However, you will sometimes find the boys gather there after work as it is one of the few places now allowed to stay open until 6 am.

Marine Disco's main attraction as gerefan says it that fact it opens till 6am, that and it's location in the middle of Walking St...very convenient. It's main purpose in life being a pick-up joint for Thai females and foreign gents after the bars close. It is one of the few places which 'welcome' katoeys/ladyboys (although it costs them Bt100 to get in), and so has an attraction for some gay lads who primarily use it just as a convenient Disco quick to get to from BT and Sunee to party after their work/bars close etc. and on the doorstep if they are having a night out in Walking Street. A good few of the lads who work in the show bars go after their work finishes, I've met a few from the likes of The Venue who seem to be there regularly.

It's 90% straight. But there is a section regarded as Katoey/ladyboy/gay area just in front of and to the left of the DJ Booth around the bar area there. Some nights there will be a few gay lads partying together from a specific bar, I've met a bunch of lads from Euro Boys, Diamond Bar, BzBzBz etc.. there in a party with their working friends. Depending on timings and circumstances it's one of the 'go to' after hours fun Disco choices of gay lads along with NAB, TamNanIssan, Hollywood, Karaokes etc...

Just some more info........If you like a game of pool as we do occasionally It has many very good tables 'up the back' and sometimes we go there for a game or two first. Drinks are more expensive than the bars, with beer Bt170 and Spirits/mixer Bt200+, Thai's get their beers for Bt120 if not with westerner/foreigner, which makes it doable for gay lads looking to extent their night's enjoyment together. Never seen any 'attitude' from straights regarding the gay/ladyboy element it's very easy going as everyone's just out for a good time. Hit or a miss for gay lads, and probably only after 2am. The gay working lads who do go there after work are always definitely up for hook ups with customers.

Chuai-Duai
December 23rd, 2017, 11:26
You could walk. I walked from Boystown to the Jomtien Tower this morning. It took me just over an hour. I wouldn't be so keen if it wasn't so cool at the moment.

latintopxxx
December 24th, 2017, 06:49
oh honestly. u can commandeer a baht taxi for yourself at a cost of 100bht...no waiting..no stopping to pick up/drop off other plebs..