PDA

View Full Version : Best Buffets?

poshglasgow
December 9th, 2017, 19:00
There was an excellent hotel (I think the name was the Pan Pacific, although the name has changed in recent years) in the Silom Area of Bangkok, that I used on occasions a number of years ago, where the restaurant on the top floor had an excellent lunchtime buffet, affording diners outstanding views across the rooftops. It was open to residents and non-residents alike. Hot and cold dishes of western and oriental food were on offer and there was a young lady sitting at the entrance to the restaurant, outside the lifts, playing a stringed instrument, the music of which gently filtered into the restaurant.

Is there a similar buffet offering to be had at any of the upmarket hotels in Pattaya/Jomtien that members would recommend for lunch and/or dinner?

gerefan2
December 9th, 2017, 21:13
The Hilton has a rooftop bar and,I’m think, a restaurant but not 100% sure as we only used the bar.

sglad
December 9th, 2017, 21:21
Is there a similar buffet offering to be had at any of the upmarket hotels in Pattaya/Jomtien that members would recommend for lunch and/or dinner?

I take it you're not into meatloaf?

scottish-guy
December 9th, 2017, 21:29
Don't forget the real society people of Sunee Plaza prefer their meatloaf uncooked

Moses
December 9th, 2017, 21:31
Check our twitter https://twitter.com/SawatdeeNetwork

There is TOP-5 rooftops in Bangkok not far ago

poshglasgow
December 9th, 2017, 23:55
The Hilton sounds interesting. I'd better take a gold card!!

joe552
December 10th, 2017, 05:06
Don't forget the real society people of Sunee Plaza prefer their meatloaf uncooked

Did I mention I've ordered meatloaf from Ting Tong Red for my birthday? Cooked and uncooked.

Poshglasgow, you're welcome to join us

gerefan2
December 10th, 2017, 12:53
The Hilton sounds interesting. I'd better take a gold card!!

You csertainly will need it if you go when there is an event on.
The bastards wanted 6000 Baht for two, just to go up there when the Firework Contest was on.
Naturally we told them where to stuff their rockets, that night.

neddy3
December 10th, 2017, 15:08
That's outrageous!

No wonder you left.

latintopxxx
December 10th, 2017, 15:38
one way to keep the riff raff away...implement a steep cover charge...works like a charm

bkkguy
December 10th, 2017, 18:20
The bastards wanted 6000 Baht for two, just to go up there when the Firework Contest was on.

to be fair however the Hilton's regular weekday lunch buffet is 500-600 Baht and their Sunday brunch and nightly seafood buffets are 1,00-1,500 Baht - quite good value given the quality and quantity of food (even when compared to meatloaf!) and I would have thought comparable to the old Pan Pacific buffet mentioned in the opening post

Hilton Pattaya Edge Buffet Menu August 2017 (pdf) (http://www3.hilton.com/resources/media/hi/BKKHPHI/en_US/pdf/en_BKKHPHI_Edge_Lunch_Menu_August2017.pdf)

bkkguy

arsenal
December 10th, 2017, 20:43
Latin wrote
"one way to keep the riff raff away...implement a steep cover charge...works like a charm"

Perhaps we could introduce that here. Would it get rid of you?

Brad the Impala
December 10th, 2017, 21:05
It would surely get rid of all of us

francois
December 10th, 2017, 22:09
Someone posts an intelligent question regarding best buffets and then someone(s) derails the topic by posting about meatloafs both cooked and uncooked. The usual tactic.

aot871
December 11th, 2017, 00:43
Someone posts an intelligent question regarding best buffets and then someone(s) derails the topic by posting about meatloafs both cooked and uncooked. The usual tactic.
That's the trouble with this forum now a days , and its always the same guys doing it . I wish the mod would ban them for a few weeks ,,,

scottish-guy
December 11th, 2017, 03:10

And then somebody comes along to moan as usual - instead of just ignoring what they're not interested in?

latintopxxx
December 11th, 2017, 07:22
my best buffet was when my partner and I...unbeknown to each other each rented a MB..and decided to surprise one another in the hotel room...

francois
December 11th, 2017, 11:01
And then somebody comes along to moan as usual - instead of just ignoring what they're not interested in?

Not moaning, scottish-guy, just speaking, or rather writing, the truth.

You had your say, and I had my say.

latintopxxx
December 11th, 2017, 13:53
francois...u gotta make some allowances for scotty...that huge UK chip on his shoulder slows him down...

scottish-guy
December 11th, 2017, 14:17
Fine, but carping about things going "off-topic" is the sort of anal behaviour that chased e.g. Whitemouse away.

Anybody genuinely looking for info on buffets is quite capable of separating the wheat from the chaff - but "having your say" about it will generate the same number of responses (or more) than the original "off-topic" remark by Sglad (not me).

Even LatintopXXX now has an excuse to chime in with content that is not only utterly irrelevant but blatant trolling.

poshglasgow
December 12th, 2017, 00:52
Did I mention I've ordered meatloaf from Ting Tong Red for my birthday? Cooked and uncooked.

Poshglasgow, you're welcome to join us

Thank you, Joe, but I thought meatloaf was a middle-age drag act in St. James' Street, Brighton. A friend of Betty Swollocks?

poshglasgow
December 12th, 2017, 00:54
to be fair however the Hilton's regular weekday lunch buffet is 500-600 Baht and their Sunday brunch and nightly seafood buffets are 1,00-1,500 Baht - quite good value given the quality and quantity of food (even when compared to meatloaf!) and I would have thought comparable to the old Pan Pacific buffet mentioned in the opening post

Hilton Pattaya Edge Buffet Menu August 2017 (pdf) (http://www3.hilton.com/resources/media/hi/BKKHPHI/en_US/pdf/en_BKKHPHI_Edge_Lunch_Menu_August2017.pdf)

bkkguy

Thanks, that sounds far more reasonable.

joe552
December 12th, 2017, 04:10
poshglasgow (ha ha, I still find it funny putting those two words together - is it Kelvinside? or is that somewhere else?) Anyway, I am not at all familiar with the Brighton gay scene - I've never been there, and I'm prepared to prove that in a court of law - so be careful where you cast your nasturtiums.

sglad
December 12th, 2017, 04:38
Not moaning, scottish-guy, just speaking, or rather writing, the truth.

Your truth, not the truth.

poshglasgow
December 14th, 2017, 20:21
Bearsden, Joe: one of the posh sides of Glasgow. However, Kelvinside is great too. I love the West End of Glasgow, and it pays to look up rather than down as you walk around, as much of the architecture is inspiring. The only part of the East End I warm to is Parkhead, where Scotland's greatest football team are based. Incidentally, it's where, on a very blustery day in 2001, I sprinkled my late brother's ashes on the flower bed at the main entrance (with permission of course). As I did so, a gust of wind covered me in ash and I must have resembled a "homepride man". It was at that moment a wee Glasgow drunk appeared from nowhere, sidled up to me and said, "Hey, is that somebody's ashes an 'at?" I replied politely that it was and then he stumbled and fell into the bloody flower bed on top of my brother!! "Gonnae gees a hud up?"

joe552
December 14th, 2017, 20:59
Jeez, you Glaswegians sure know how to have a good time.