3-2-Bangkok-86.11
4-1-Sydney-85.94
5-5-Chiang Mai, Thailand-85.62
6-8-Cape Town-85.39
7-n/a-Buenos Aires-85.03
8-6-New York-84.75
9-n/a-Beirut-84.38
10-10-San Francisco-84.29

Source : http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsb ... cat=cities (http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2006/results.cfm?cat=cities)

July 19th, 2006, 14:05
How things can change!
Beirut number nine!

PeterUK
July 19th, 2006, 14:23
Goodness knows how they compile these lists. This one looks a bit wacky to me. Vancouver and Vienna usually get a mention.

July 19th, 2006, 17:15
DELETED

wowpow
July 19th, 2006, 17:37
Phone Beirut 987654321000000

Paris, Prague, London, Venice, York, Bath, Edinburg and Vancouver are in most peoples favourites. Sadly and delightful though they are, neither Bangkok or Chiang Mai are.

Smiles
July 19th, 2006, 19:40
The magazine's "methodology" used to determine the list can be found here: http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsb ... 6/info.cfm (http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2006/info.cfm) . Haven't read it yet as I'm out the door. Take a look and see what you think.
Obviously Beirut was on there according to, er, 'earlier', criteria.

Cheers ....

bing
July 19th, 2006, 20:37
The list in the magazine is fine. I tend to perfer my own list that reflects places I like, for example my top 10 cities would be:

l. Pattaya
2. New York
3. Bangkok
4. Rome
6. Amsterdam
6. Rio (Copacabana)
7. Puerto Vallarta
8. Paris
9. Acapulco
10. Fort Lauderdale

My list would reflect I'm close to Mexico and live in USA.
Anyone else care to expand of favorite cities.
[/i]

July 19th, 2006, 22:00
1. Bangkok
2. Prague
3. Amsterdam
4. Paris
5. San Francisco
6. NYC
7. Mexico City
8. Chicago
9. Vancouver
10. Berlin

July 19th, 2006, 22:53
1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Amsterdam
4. London
5. Buenos Aires
6. Rio de Janeiro
7. Barcelona
8. Capetown
9. Sydney
10. Madrid

July 20th, 2006, 01:29
Doubt what will be left of Beruit will be on the list next year... Maybe it will be replaced by Baghdad if they can make the road from the airport to the Green zone planted with date palms...

Actually it would be interesting to hear the top 10 cities under 100,000 people...

July 20th, 2006, 02:00
Key West
Singapore
Bangkok
Pattaya
Kuala Lumpur
San Francisco
London
Amsterdam
Canary Islands (well this aint a city but ...)
Dubai

Jetsam
July 20th, 2006, 02:40
I name only the places I know :geek:

1. Amsterdam ( how could I say other haha)
2. Bangkok (pattaya)
3. Barcelona
4. Prague
5. London
6. Paris
7. Ibiza

Smiles
July 20th, 2006, 11:31
Paris (by a mile)[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
London[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Bangkok[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Vancouver[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Amsterdam[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Toronto [/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Puerto Vallarta[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Marseilles[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Chartres/Salisbury/Clermont-Ferrand[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
Douglas (Isle of Man)[/*:m:2j5kf4d2]
All the above for different reasons. I just wish I'd been to more Asian cities, but that's coming up toot sweet!

Cheers ...

Hmmmmmmmmm .... Am I mistaken, or did I just read somewhere that Thaiquila thought of himself as a genius?
Must be the meds.

July 20th, 2006, 12:14
Vancouver and Toronto??? The topic is "top cities", not "top cities lacking any kind of character whatsoever".

My list at the moment would be Paris, New York, Bangkok, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Rome, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Sydney, and Rio de Janeiro.

July 20th, 2006, 12:42
Vancouver and Toronto??? The topic is "top cities", not "top cities lacking any kind of character whatsoever".

Mine list at the moment would be Paris, New York, Bangkok, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Rome, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Sydney, and Rio de Janeiro.
I agree, while I have enjoyed Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, no Canadian city deserves top billing.
I had such a lousy time in Paris ages ago that Paris would never be on my personal top list.

July 20th, 2006, 18:39
1. San Francisco
2. Sydney
3. Jerusalem
4. London
5. Amsterdam
6. Alice Springs (not a city but hey this is my list)
7. Edinburgh
8. Bath
9. Barcelona/Sitges
10. Pattaya for the hell of it!

Damn, no room for Rhyl or Blackpool :cheers:

July 20th, 2006, 18:51
There's
1 London

and the rest are also-rans. An Australian Prime Minister (Keating) once remarked about Australian cities "If you don't live in Sydney you're just camping out"

July 20th, 2006, 23:58
What's so great about London?

Surfcrest
July 23rd, 2006, 03:15

You obviously have never been to Vancouver, or are using yourself as the benchmark for character .

no Canadian city deserves top billing.
Paris would never be on my personal top list.

It's a good thing these lists aren't determined by you.
Perhaps you would have Bogata or Bolivia on your list?

Surfcrest

July 23rd, 2006, 03:58
You obviously have never been to Vancouver, or are using yourself as the benchmark for character .

How wrong you are. I spent a year in Vancouver one weekend.

July 23rd, 2006, 04:02

I doubt that, dear: he's probably bright enough to know that Bolivia is a country, not a city.

July 23rd, 2006, 05:46

no Canadian city deserves top billing.
Paris would never be on my personal top list.

It's a good thing these lists aren't determined by you.

Surfcrest
Paris is just a tired cliche. People think it has to be on top lists just for tradition's sake.
Vancouver is quite pretty and quite pleasant and the food is good. But it is seriously lacking in enough high brow culture. I suppose if you put Toronto's culture mixed with Vancouver's beauty, you might have a real winner.

Surfcrest
July 23rd, 2006, 23:15
But it is seriously lacking in enough high brow culture. I suppose if you put Toronto's culture mixed with Vancouver's beauty, you might have a real winner.

High brow culture? Where were you looking for such a thing?

I doubt that, dear: he's probably bright enough to know that Bolivia is a country, not a city.

With coke making such a big comeback in Bolivia, does it really matter if he's in La Paz?

How wrong you are. I spent a year in Vancouver one weekend.

I take it all back then, a weekend makes you an expert.

Surfcrest

July 24th, 2006, 11:02
Vancouver???
Sorry Canada cannot get onto any lists. Sorry Canada, I know, we all have to live somewhere. Jetsam mind if I travel with you? May we start in Barcelona?
My A list keeps changing on a weekly basis. But Johannesburg and not Cape-Town would be my South African city of choice.

Paris??? Eeeeek this list has no merit what so ever, save perhaps for cattle class.

July 24th, 2006, 11:26
Oh dear. Popular opinion is against you, Surfcrest.

As for Paris, as despicable as the French are as a people, I think it is hard to deny that Paris is the most beautiful city every created by man's hand (not natural beauty, artificial beauty).

July 24th, 2006, 11:37
Let's not forget, a propos Surfcrest, that the Iriquois nation (or any other tribal society) never established and maintained cities while sustaining a vigorous tribal way of life. Cities are complete anathema to tribalism. And while we're on the subject of tribalism, I was very taken by Afghanistan's Loya Jurga a couple of years ago. It put me in mind of the council of Maori chiefs who signed the Treaty of Waitangi in Aunty's beloved Land of the Long White Shroud. Tribalism is the same the world over, and has only a past, but no future

July 24th, 2006, 13:00
Paris may be gay but beautiful it is not. It is almost pedestrian. Monuments for monuments sake like a great shallow Berlioz symphony, all frills and no substance. The "old" city built like a playground for an army to ponce and preen in, in a most effeminate way,otherwise it could have all been quite interesting. Paris is officially dead.
Hmm the most beautiful city I have ever been too must have been Bangkok, when I was a wee child in the eighties, before the Chinese overkill on development took hold. Now there was a magical world.

Aunty
July 24th, 2006, 14:57
:cyclopsani: I want see your naked pics. :cyclopsani:

July 24th, 2006, 15:02
Paris may be gay but beautiful it is not. It is almost pedestrian. Monuments for monuments sake like a great shallow Berlioz symphony, all frills and no substance. The "old" city built like a playground for an army to ponce and preen in, in a most effeminate way,otherwise it could have all been quite interesting. Paris is officially dead.
Hmm the most beautiful city I have ever been too must have been Bangkok, when I was a wee child in the eighties, before the Chinese overkill on development took hold. Now there was a magical world.

Cedric, dear. I was here in the 70's, 80's, 90's and up to today. Bangkok has always been a magical, fascinating, friendly and exotic city. But never has it been "beautiful".

Aunty
July 24th, 2006, 15:14
I bet Cedric's manly chest is beautiful. I bet the long languid slopes of his sweet belly are ooohhhhhh............

cottmann
July 26th, 2006, 08:06
Let's not forget, a propos Surfcrest, that the Iriquois nation (or any other tribal society) never established and maintained cities while sustaining a vigorous tribal way of life. Cities are complete anathema to tribalism. And while we're on the subject of tribalism, I was very taken by Afghanistan's Loya Jurga a couple of years ago. It put me in mind of the council of Maori chiefs who signed the Treaty of Waitangi in Aunty's beloved Land of the Long White Shroud. Tribalism is the same the world over, and has only a past, but no future

I suppose it depends on what one means by "tribe" and "tribal way of life." The term was used, after all, to describe 35 voting groups in ancient Rome, which in turn was founded by a union of different tribes.

cottmann
July 26th, 2006, 09:42
......This place is a hole of a City full of aggressive beggars,mentally ill homeless people,poofs,junkies and garbage......Sydney is filthy,full of mental people who are shouting at poles and doors and full of druggies up at Kings Cross ready to roll you......

QED?